Saniya Rivers to South Carolina | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers to South Carolina

Reaction Score
1) The team that won the national championship with transfers Gray & Davis.
2) The team that had Tiffany Mitchell as a senior.
3) The team that had Tiffany Mitchell as a Junior.
4) The team that had A’ja Wilson coming off the bench as a Freshman.

LOL, no. First off, your #1 disqualifies itself because it had the opportunity to do what this past season's team did not have, to justify it as the #1?? That's not fair - #1 is thrown out of consideration!

So, lets look at these teams:

RPI/SOS:
2014-15 (Final Four team - 34-3, 15-1, was ranked #1 for 3 months): 4/6
2015-16 (Sweet Sixteen - was 33-2, 16-0, ranked no worse than #3): 4/13
2016-17 (Nat'l. Champs - 33-4, 14-2): 2/1
2019-20 (32-1, 16-0, ranked #1 by both polls at conclusion of season): 1/3

Scoring Offense/Rank:
2014-15: 75.9 ppg / 18th
2015-16: 73.6 / 33rd
2016-17: 76.3 ppg / 20th
2019-20: 82.0 ppg / 6th

Scoring Defense/Rank:
2014-15: 54.1 ppg / 12th
2015-16: 55.7 ppg / 25th
2016-17: 56.9 ppg / 24th
2019-20: 56.1 ppg / 20th

Blocks/Game/Rank:
2014-15: 6.3 bpg / 7th
2015-16: 5.3 bpg / 21st
2016-17: 5.6 bpg / 15th
2019-20: 8.6 bpg / 1st

3-pt FG %/Rank:
2014-15: .349 / 50th
2015-16: .321 / 127th
2016-17: .333 / 96th
2019-20: .349 / 40th

Total FG%/Rank:
2014-15: .484 / 4th
2015-16: .456 / 16th
2016-17: .475 / 6th
2019-20: .470 / 10th

Total FG% Defense/Rank:
2014-15: .349 / 10th
2015-16: .347 / 11th
2016-17: .356 / 19th
2019-20: .333 / 4th

South Carolina played the tougher schedules during the recent two seasons - the championship season of 2016-17 and this past season - than they played in 2014-15 or 2015-16. The fact that 2 of the top 3 seasons in terms of RPI/SOS were seasons that also saw late advances into the NCAAT - where the caliber of opponent is at the highest and adds to what the regular season yielded - plays the obvious role in this stat. One could make the argument that the 2019-20 season was the stronger schedule of all 4, simply because of the fact that that season does not include opponents from the NCAAT.

The 2014-15 season - A'ja Wilson's freshman season - appears via the stats to be a strong one. It is 3rd in RPI/SOS, 2nd in scoring offense, 1st in scoring defense, 2nd in blocks/gm, 1st in total FG %, 2nd in 3pt FG %, and 2nd in FG % defense.

The 2019-20 season was (depending on argument) 1st or 2nd in RPI/SOS, 1st in scoring offense, 2nd in scoring defense, 1st in blocks/gm, 1st in 3pt FG%, 3rd in total FG%, and 1st in total FG% defense.

And this was with three freshmen starting. I would think this indicates solidly that the 2019-20 team was the better of the four, removing any possible results of the NCAAT from the equation simply due to the fact that the 2019-20 team wasn't given the chance to try......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What if the legacy would not have been cemented? Had they not won it all, and that was a good possibility, there would have been no cementing. The positive is that speculating can continue and no one can truthfully say that SC would not have won it all. No one will ever know.

SC is not the only program that really feels it could have won it all. Baylor and Oregon can give you chapter and verse on how and why THEY would have won the NC if given the chance. You're right Don, We'll never know. SC has just begun to write their legacy. As long as Dawn is there, look for that program to grow and prosper. Sania Feagin (hoopgurlz #6 2021) is their 3rd commit in 1 week. Staley has the FULL support of her administrators and the fans. The elite players want to play for her.

The 2019-2020 season is not one I care to remember or contemplate about. It was not a good year for UConn. We "shrunk" in the 3 biggest games of the year. We were "handled" in all 3 games. Especially the SC game. Two points in the 1st quarter, and 11 in the 4th. :( We did not look like a normal UConn team. We didn't strike fear in the hearts of any of those opponents. In fact, they looked forward to playing us.

We must return to the glory days of yesteryear, when teams dreaded playing UConn. I look forward to the days when UConn is bad of WCBB, and we go back to beating the top 5 teams on a regular basis. THAT is the true measure of a good team. How do you fare against the top 5 teams in WCBB? It's a given that you should win all of your other games (as UConn did last year).

South Carolina and Baylor are reloading, and remain top tier teams. Oregon lost their 2 best players. We'll have to wait and see how competitive head coach Kelly Graves' team will be this season. Maryland, Stanford, NC State and UCLA should all vie for conference championships again this year. Texas and Notre Dame need two more years of adding transfers and new recruits from the next two classes to return to top 10 prominence.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A final four or runner up is still a terrific post season run and something to hold their head high about and cements the legacy of this team being huge overachievers. SC this year was not championship or bust, they were #8 preseason in the AP poll and they put together a massively overachieving season and was playing like a title favorite.

Not being able to play and prove themselves on the biggest stage doesn't preserve a legacy of "no one can prove we wouldn't have won". That's not something to brag about. Anyone can argue that. Being able to win a title, or get to a Final Four and put up a huge fight in a losing effort, that's something you can boast about.

No one is going to look back and say Dawn has her 2017 title and a "what if" title in 2020. It doesn't work like that.
Dawn bragged.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
SC is not the only program that really feels it could have won it all. Baylor and Oregon can give you chapter and verse on how and why THEY would have won the NC if given the chance. SC has just begun to write their legacy.
As long as Dawn is there, look for that program to grow and prosper. She has the FULL support of her administrators and the fans. You're right Don, We'll never know.

The 2019-2020 season is not one I care to remember or contemplate about. It was not a good year for us. We "shrunk" in the 3 biggest games of the year. We were "handled" in all 3 games. Especially the SC game. Two points in the 1st quarter, and 11 in the 4th. :( We did not look like a normal UConn team. We didn't strike fear in the hearts of any of those opponents. In fact, they looked forward to playing us, even on the road.

We must return to the glory days of yesteryear, when teams dreaded playing UConn. I look forward to the days when UConn is bad of WCBB again. South Carolina and Baylor are reloading, and remain top tier teams. Oregon lost their 2 best players. We'll have to wait and see how competitive Graves' team will be this season. Maryland, Stanford, NC State and UCLA should all vie for conference championships this year. Texas and Notre Dame need two more years of adding transfers and new recruits from the next two classes to return to prominence.
I agree. However, I did not read where Oregon's or Baylor's coaches said they should have been awarded the NC. They had as much of a chance to win it all and both teams were more experienced in the FF than SC. I really don't care who SC gets to commit. I don't care for people who gloat and Dawn seems to be gloating about getting commitments from her recent recruits. Well, that's just me.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dawn bragged.

Yeah but there's zero validity to that argument. Look how much people bought into that mentality--only a handful of homers give any credence to that, the rest of WCBB mocks Dawn for even suggesting they're the mythical champions.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Will the floodgates go both ways?

I don't know if they WILL, but they CAN!! We have an excellent 5 player class coming in that I don't think takes a back seat to any other program's recruiting class for 2020. I'm also happy with the class of 2021 thus far (Poffenbarger, Ducharme and DeBerry) with hopefully one more addition. ;)

Reaction Score
Wcbb history is loaded with great teams that lost in the NCAA's. S Car had a great team last season. But not a championship team. That has to be earned, not bestowed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't know if they WILL, but they CAN!! We have an excellent 5 player class coming in that I don't think takes a back seat to any other program's recruiting class for 2020.

I meant will some players transfer out of SC. Not sure about timelines

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The jealousy is almost sickening......and don't say it's not because you people are just throwing all negative stuff out there and it's really telling. The players and recruits love a coach who fights for them and it's paying off big time for Dawn and South Carolina. She has built a strong program and the South Carolina fans should be proud....now...don't make me defend her anymore....lol.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
I meant will some players transfer out of SC. Not sure about timelines

Oh, OK. It would not surprise me. As new "wunderkinds" come on board, and push older players further down the depth chart which equates to less playing time than had been promised or assumed, transfers are always a possibility. Players want to play!! They will enter the transfer portal these days as easily and quickly as they change clothes. There was an unprecedented number of players entering the portal this year. Decent players (with no history of violating team rules or school citizenship policies) can ALWAYS find a D-1 program that will take them. A program that will almost guarantee they will get X number of minutes every game, especially if they time it right, and fill a need that team happens to have.

There are some UConn fans here that have suggested that Anna who was a starter last year come off the bench this coming season in favor of freshmen Aaliyah Edwards and Paige Bueckers. Coaches are going to put their best 5 players on the court that give their team the best chance to win. Last year, Dawn Staley started 3 freshmen and only lost 1 game all year. They'll probably start again THIS year too. That may not set well with some of their reserves who went to SC planning on playing more than they have thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) The team that won the national championship with transfers Gray & Davis.
2) The team that had Tiffany Mitchell as a senior.
3) The team that had Tiffany Mitchell as a Junior.
4) The team that had A’ja Wilson coming off the bench as a Freshman.

the only one of those with even an argument was the Gray/Davis title team.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Oh, OK. It would not surprise me. As new "wunderkinds" come on board, and push older players further down the depth chart which equates to less playing time than had been promised or assumed, transfers are always a possibility. Players want to play!! They will enter the transfer portal these days as easily and quickly as they change clothes. There was an unprecedented number of players entering the portal this year. Decent players (with no history of violating team rules or school citizenship policies) can ALWAYS find a D-1 program that will take them. A program that will almost guarantee they will get X number of minutes every game, especially if they time it right, and fill a need that team happens to have.

There are some UConn fans here that have suggested that Anna who was a starter last year come off the bench this coming season in favor of freshmen Aaliyah Edwards and Paige Bueckers. Coaches are going to put their best 5 players on the court that give their team the best chance to win. Last year, Dawn Staley started 3 freshmen and only lost 1 game all year. They'll probably start again THIS year too. That may not set well with some of their reserves who went to SC planning on playing more than they have thus far.
The reserves played almost as many minutes as the starters. Dawn used the bench deeply in almost every game. Those girls all said that....they did not complain about time on the court because it was plentiful. That bench was not a drop off.....they all filled their role and played many minutes each game.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
The jealousy is almost sickening......and don't say it's not because you people are just throwing all negative stuff out there and it's really telling. The players and recruits love a coach who fights for them and it's paying off big time for Dawn and South Carolina. She has built a strong program and the South Carolina fans should be proud....now...don't make me defend her anymore....lol.....
Why do you read sickening posts? I doubt if she needs you to defend her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The reserves played almost as many minutes as the starters. Dawn used the bench deeply in almost every game. Those girls all said that....they did not complain about time on the court because it was plentiful. That bench was not a drop off.....they all filled their role and played many minutes each game.

Good!! I like it when coaches play most/all of their reserves as much as they can. It keeps everyone happy. I hope it continues :)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Isn’t transfer speculation frowned upon here?

Also, do people realize we’re bringing in ONE player this fall.. and when 2021 comes to Columbia we’ll have a senior class of 4 leaving the following spring? There’s plenty of playing time in Columbia.

Dawn isn’t like Geno, she plays her bench. Our rotation this past year was consistently 8 or 9 players. These 2021 freshmen will play early at SC, just like we told you all the 2019 freshmen would play a huge part the past season.

Reaction Score
Honestly SC was a very young team this year, with only 2 SRs and 1 JR. The rest were underclassmen. We will be fine.

Reaction Score
the only one of those with even an argument was the Gray/Davis title team.

I tend to think that team might have been better, but the most recent team just seems like the better offensive team to me. Better PG play, better floor spacing.

Reaction Score
Wow nice pick up. Coach Staley has built South Carolina into the top program. Maybe when Geno retires we can offer Dawn a big pile of cash to come here?

No thanks. Dawn complains about everything. I'd prefer Shea.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Watching more of Rivers, her game reminds me a lot of Angel McCoughtry. Long, athletic, really good in the open court, lots of steals, more of an attack the basket type but has a good stroke from deep too. I think she's going to be special.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Why do you read sickening posts? I doubt if she needs you to defend her.
I read every post...including this one. I don't think you can know it's sickening unless you read it....so...what you said makes little to no sense. I also didn't say Dawn needed me to defend her....but I will if it's unjustified garbage as most of the posts here are.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn already have the highest paid WCBB coach?
I love the UCONN program (all WBB programs for that matter) but the athletic department was already in financial trouble before this pandemic hit. I would think the last thing they could afford to do is get into a bidding war with any Power 5 school.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom