Samson Johnson - The Value of Waiting Your Turn. Will the Fab Five Follow the Model? What Say You? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson - The Value of Waiting Your Turn. Will the Fab Five Follow the Model? What Say You?

Reaction Score
That’s an issue if he can’t make mistakes on drives to the rim the same way he makes mistakes shooting 3s. Complete waste of his athletic talent.
Jackson was able to be valuable by defense and distributing but he was not an offensive threat going to the rim either since they sagged off so much. For a G/F to be successful in Hurleys offense they have to be able to shoot the three and drive. It’s way too early to put him in a Jackson role in this offense.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No, I wouldn't say any of that.

I'm sorry I ever even responded to you. This is a masturbatory exercise for you and I'll leave you alone.
That’s superweird you would go that far. I don’t know why you have to go to these insane insults when we’re just talking basketball. I’ve never said anything rude to you but if I matched your energy I’d for sure be the bigger which is super unnecessary.

Just say you disagree and leave it at that stop being weird.

Reaction Score
That’s superweird you would go that far. I don’t know why you have to go to these insane insults when we’re just talking basketball. I’ve never said anything rude to you but if I matched your energy I’d for sure be the bigger which is super unnecessary.

Just say you disagree and leave it at that stop being weird.
It wasn't an insult and there's nothing weird about it. You create these wild arguments, hammering over and over at them for days on end and nobody ever agrees with you. It's self-absorbed and pointless.

You really shouldn't be thin skinned when this is the board persona you created.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It wasn't an insult and there's nothing weird about it. You create these wild arguments, hammering over and over at them for days on end and nobody ever agrees with you. It's self-absorbed and pointless.

You really shouldn't be thin skinned when this is the board persona you created.
I don’t mind a lot of the jokes if it’s funny. Masturbatory exercise is weird though.

I’ve WFH the past few days with extra time on my hands for this round. Just passionate about UConn basketball and seeing our guys succeed is all. So I get super frustrated when a situation like Solo’s is going on, the same way I was frustrated with Hawkins his freshman year, and Andre from last year. All situations that seem fixable with a little coaching adjustment instead of doing the same thing over again expecting a different result.

Reaction Score
1. Thru 7 games newcomer Cam Spencer is the greatest initial impact transfer in the history of UConn basketball. "Initial impact" b/c Tristen Newton is doing everything but drive the damn bus back-and-forth from Storrs to Hartford. Offseason projection was for Spencer to fill the Alleyne role, instead Cam's filled that shooting wise & arguably the AJ role ball movement wise. Methinks that has something to do with less time/impact for the frosh.

2. If Stephon Castle is playing the angst over the other freshman is diffused. Torn between rushing him back to play v. Kansas to get 'yarders to stfu OR that long-term for him & team its better for Kansas game to be harder which includes stressing freshman. That certainly benefits long-term, but is hit or miss this early. Heaven forbid the freshman don't contribute in arguably the toughest road gym in the country resulting in much soiling of baby 'yarder diapers.

Reaction Score
I don’t mind a lot of the jokes if it’s funny. Masturbatory exercise is weird though.

I’ve WFH the past few days with extra time on my hands for this round. Just passionate about UConn basketball and seeing our guys succeed is all. So I get super frustrated when a situation like Solo’s is going on, the same way I was frustrated with Hawkins his freshman year, and Andre from last year. All situations that seem fixable with a little coaching adjustment instead of doing the same thing over again expecting a different result.

It's just not clear to me what I would look at to see some evidence that Hurley is mishandling the freshmen relative to Calhoun. And the world you're describing under Jim Calhoun is one that bears no resemblance whatsoever to my memory of it. The idea that Calhoun emboldened freshmen and "let them make mistakes" while Hurley is some rigid taskmaster that forces them to play timid is, to me, just completely disconnected from reality. That's what I find strange about all this.

Also, just as an aside, it is wild to invoke Hawkins's freshman year as a "fixable" problem Hurley created rather than an instance of a kid just getting much better while at UConn than he was when he got here. Just a very strange way to look at things.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's just not clear to me what I would look at to see some evidence that Hurley is mishandling the freshmen relative to Calhoun. And the world you're describing under Jim Calhoun is one that bears no resemblance whatsoever to my memory of it. The idea that Calhoun emboldened freshmen and "let them make mistakes" while Hurley is some rigid taskmaster that forces them to play timid is, to me, just completely disconnected from reality. That's what I find strange about all this.

Also, just as an aside, it is wild to invoke Hawkins's freshman year as a "fixable" problem Hurley created rather than an instance of a kid just getting much better while at UConn than he was when he got here. Just a very strange way to look at things.
I probably said this before, but there’s a difference between chewing a guy out like Calhoun did with Boatright and letting him fix his mistake compared to pulling him from a game limiting his minutes like Hurley used to do with Hawkins.

I talk about that Auburn game all the time as the prime example. It killed Hawkins confidence not because of the mistakes, but because how Hurley reacted to it. He had 15 minutes in an OT game where he scored 15-16 points. Hurley showed that it didn’t matter how well he was scoring, if you make mistakes I’m not going to let you play through them. Even though not everyone on the team was held to that same standard. So that’s how Hawkins had to operate from there on out. Then everyone was surprised when he absolutely clamped up.

I’m seeing Solo play the same way right now, personally. Playing to not make mistakes because as a freshmen he knows he doesn’t have the same freedom as the older guys.

Reaction Score

So are you disappointed that Hawkins ended up a lottery pick and Andre exceeded expectations and was drafted early 2nd round?

The outcomes for both seemed pretty good. Their development was excellent under Hurley & Co.'s tutelage.

Why wouldn't you just expect the same to be true for Ball, Stewart, & Ross???? Have some patience, chill out and trust the darn process.

You'll be less stressed, and less attacked for your somewhat unrealistic and borderline crazy takes!

Peace out and go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I probably said this before, but there’s a difference between chewing a guy out like Calhoun did with Boatright and letting him fix his mistake compared to pulling him from a game limiting his minutes like Hurley used to do with Hawkins.

I talk about that Auburn game all the time as the prime example. It killed Hawkins confidence not because of the mistakes, but because how Hurley reacted to it. He had 15 minutes in an OT game where he scored 15-16 points. Hurley showed that it didn’t matter how well he was scoring, if you make mistakes I’m not going to let you play through them. Even though not everyone on the team was held to that same standard. So that’s how Hawkins had to operate from there on out. Then everyone was surprised when he absolutely clamped up.

I’m seeing Solo play the same way right now, personally. Playing to not make mistakes because as a freshmen he knows he doesn’t have the same freedom as the older guys.

Where's the evidence and facts to support your theory here? Did you get a chance to do a 1-on-1 interview with Hawkins and he told you specifically it was all Hurley's fault? Your takes are just wild, man!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So are you disappointed that Hawkins ended up a lottery pick and Andre exceeded expectations and was drafted early 2nd round?

The outcomes for both seemed pretty good. Their development was excellent under Hurley & Co.'s tutelage.

Why wouldn't you just expect the same to be true for Ball, Stewart, & Ross???? Have some patience, chill out and trust the darn process.

You'll be less stressed, and less attacked for your somewhat unrealistic and borderline crazy takes!

Peace out and go Huskies!!!
I don’t know how people see a 6’6 super athletic wing with amazing playmaking ability get drafted in the 2nd round and think that was a good development job. Let alone exceeded expectations.

We didn’t give him not one skill he could use to score with in 3 years.

Hawkins skillset fits the develop your 3 mindset over everything else this program has.

Reaction Score
Hurley did say that they run a very sophisticated system and that it takes time for players to understand the system and to understand their role within that system. Unless you have a lot of experience (transfers) or size (Clingan) or skill (Castle), it's going to take some time to learn it. Karaban was an exception because he joined the team early and was able to practice and learn the system.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how people see a 6’6 super athletic wing with amazing playmaking ability get drafted in the 2nd round and think that was a good development job. Let alone exceeded expectations.

Hawkins skillset fits the develop your 3 mindset over everything else this program has.
A college coaches job boils down to essentially two things - develop your players and win. They're pretty intertwined but not always.

Jackson can't shoot. He came in not being able to shoot, he left not being able to shoot, and even the pro team he's on has made some adjustments but they don't really know how to solve it either. What Hurley did is put him in positions to maximize his athleticism and otherworldly bball IQ to the point where NBA teams were willing to overlook I would argue the single most important thing for a guard/wing in the modern NBA to be able to do - shoot - because of his exceptional other talents (again, highlighted by Hurley). Oh, and DH did that all while winning a national championship.

You clearly thing Ball should be a rim attacking pg. Hurley clearly sees his role right now as someone who should do that, mostly via cuts, but who also has the green light to shoot threes. This clearly benefits the team now, and will benefit the team in the future. If he's as good a shooter as DH thinks he is, getting him comfortable in low stakes games shooting 3's will pay huge dividends down the road for both his individual development and the team's.

P.S. they're calling you onanistic because you're repeating the same non sensical arguments over and over

Reaction Score

Where is this even coming from. I was at a game where Okwandu made a mistake Calhoun practically dragged him off the court and screamed at him to "Go back to Africa"

Reaction Score

LOL. At this point, you might as well just start a "Fire Hurley for Coaching Malpractice" thread. Lunacy.

Reaction Score
Solo missed a one foot put back versus UNH. That isn't because he can't make a one-footer, it's because he rushed the shot and turned a bunnie into a difficult shot. Sooner or later that will be a gimme. But right now he is making everything difficult on himself.

Reaction Score
90s are too far back for me. The Dyson and Hasheem team was the one I was referring to. I don’t think you’re bringing in transfers over guys who were scoring 15 PPG either with Rip and Caron anyways.

I’m pulling from the middle tier here on experienced teams, but you can’t tell me any of Hurley’s freshmen have played fearless like these guys. Again, there’s way better examples to pull from too outside of these two. But that’s how Calhoun coached them to play. And they were better off for it.

They just aren’t ready. Every player is different. It’s been 7 games.

I can’t believe this is even a discussion. I bet you were one of the ones slandering Hurley for not playing Rashool Diggins a few years ago too.

Strange

Reaction Score
Well Castle doesn't need to wait his turn but figured I'd put this here.

4. Stephon Castle, UConn

Stats: 14.5 PPG | 6.5 RPG | 3.5 APG | 66.7% FG

Look, you can argue that Castle shouldn't be on this list because the sample size is too small. He has only played in two games this season and hasn't appeared since Nov. 11 because of a knee injury. However, when he was on the floor, he was easily a top-five freshman in his class. UConn (in his absence) still looks like a well oiled machine, but having him back in in the fold just raises an already strong floor this Huskies team has.

Reaction Score

Jackson couldn’t shoot at all so what else were we supposed to give him. He was great in transition but couldn’t really get to the rim in pick n roll or one on one. Just being a great athlete doesn’t mean your gonna be an offensive star.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A college coaches job boils down to essentially two things - develop your players and win. They're pretty intertwined but not always.

Jackson can't shoot. He came in not being able to shoot, he left not being able to shoot, and even the pro team he's on has made some adjustments but they don't really know how to solve it either. What Hurley did is put him in positions to maximize his athleticism and otherworldly bball IQ to the point where NBA teams were willing to overlook I would argue the single most important thing for a guard/wing in the modern NBA to be able to do - shoot - because of his exceptional other talents (again, highlighted by Hurley). Oh, and DH did that all while winning a national championship.

You clearly thing Ball should be a rim attacking pg. Hurley clearly sees his role right now as someone who should do that, mostly via cuts, but who also has the green light to shoot threes. This clearly benefits the team now, and will benefit the team in the future. If he's as good a shooter as DH thinks he is, getting him comfortable in low stakes games shooting 3's will pay huge dividends down the road for both his individual development and the team's.

P.S. they're calling you onanistic because you're repeating the same non sensical arguments over and over
Do you think shooting 3s is the only thing you can teach someone to do?

Reaction Score

Dr Phil Thirst GIF by BuzzFeed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

As I said earlier in this ruined thread, it wouldn't be reasonable to compare anyway. Calhoun didn't have the portal. I guarantee you there are guys who played a lot as freshmen who wouldn't have if he could bring in a capable senior instead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom