Samson Johnson - The Value of Waiting Your Turn. Will the Fab Five Follow the Model? What Say You? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson - The Value of Waiting Your Turn. Will the Fab Five Follow the Model? What Say You?

Reaction Score
In his place, freshman classmate Solo Ball has stepped in and shown glimpses in valuable minutes on the court, but has yet to find consistent success with his shot. He’s shooting just 32% from the field and 20.7% (6 of 29) from beyond the arc.

“He really shoots the ball with us (i.e. practice), I think he’s really going to shoot the ball for this team this year. I think he’s pressing a little bit, things are still fast for him,” Hurley said. “But the fact that we’re getting 28 minutes, not a lot of mistakes, eventually I think the offense will come for him – especially the shooting. If you look at it, it’s a clean shot, it looks like it’s gonna go in, just hasn’t found that flow yet.”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
In some cases because those teams were thin and had no choice but to play them. Imagine there’s no portal, Solo is the starting SG by default. That is why that happened back then.
I agree. Funny enough those years resulted in Championships all the same. It doesn’t take away from the fact that this narrative that freshmen have historically struggled and have not been ready is very false.

And kind of disrespectful to the history of just how well prepared are freshmen always were to make an impact.

Reaction Score
In his place, freshman classmate Solo Ball has stepped in and shown glimpses in valuable minutes on the court, but has yet to find consistent success with his shot. He’s shooting just 32% from the field and 20.7% (6 of 29) from beyond the arc.

“He really shoots the ball with us (i.e. practice), I think he’s really going to shoot the ball for this team this year. I think he’s pressing a little bit, things are still fast for him,” Hurley said. “But the fact that we’re getting 28 minutes, not a lot of mistakes, eventually I think the offense will come for him – especially the shooting. If you look at it, it’s a clean shot, it looks like it’s gonna go in, just hasn’t found that flow yet.”

Glad we have a couch who's better at evaluating talent than the boneyard!

Reaction Score
Disappointed in the freshmen? It’s not even December yet. Some of u guys r nuts. I think they all are right where they are supposed to be. Think solo gonna be a good one. His handle better than I thought. Now only if his shot will fall. But that will come Why are we even talking about this. ?

Reaction Score
The freshman have been a disappointment. They have no idea how to make their court time valuable -- and that includes Ball. Solo still rushes everything and that leads to terrible shooting. Steward comes in hunts the three and misses it. Ross is trying to absorb the game but looks lost. Hopefully we start to get something -anything- out of them by the new year.

Maybe when Castle comes back Solo will feel less pressure in a smaller role and just let the game flow.

Samson's trajectory seems remarkably similar to a few skinny bigs we've had: Hilton and Facey, top of mind.

which raises a question: who is the last guard who didn't really play at all freshmen/sophomore year that developed into a stud junior/senior season?

Not Hawkins, obviously. Not Vital. Not Bouknight. Not Jalen...
Marcus Williams

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's also why Calhoun who is on the Mount Rushmore of College basketball coaches pretty much missed the tournament every fourth season.
There was only 1 year he missed the tournament because the team was too young from what I remember.

The 09-10 team was actually really experienced. Funny enough, the “4th season” young team won a championship.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Karaban will leave. So we're looking at Karaban, Samson, Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Singare, Nowell, Abraham. Not sure on The Greek.
If Karaban is a projected first round draft pick after this season along with Clingan and Castle, you don't think he leaves?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We were fine last year, we're fine this year, we'll be fine next year.

It's far far far far far too early to judge any kid. You would think all the Boneyard basketball scholars would have learned this by now

Kids will come and kids will go, there will be surprises both good and bad

Just appreciate what we have and stop worrying. Enjoy the ride people

And act like you've been here before, wherever that here may be, because whatever it is, we have been here before

Reaction Score
We were fine last year, we're fine this year, we'll be fine next year.

It's far far far far far too early to judge any kid. You would think all the Boneyard basketball scholars would have learned this by now

Kids will come and kids will go, there will be surprises both good and bad

Just appreciate what we have and stop worrying. Enjoy the ride people

And act like you've been here before, wherever that here may be, because whatever it is, we have been here before
Memories tend to be short here. Does anyone remember when Hawkins couldn’t even dribble? Last year if I remember we weren’t go to lose a game after the start, then the BE losing started and the rats started jumping off the ship. Kids learn, gain experience and get better.
Hurley understands that this is a work in progress heavily determined by health and player development.
I‘m never wanting to talk trash to other teams. the way I’ve seen lately in threads here, my theory is to try to enjoy the run and not get frantic when losses happen. Which they will, and our coaching staff knows how this works, best in the business.

Reaction Score
There was only 1 year he missed the tournament because the team was too young from what I remember.

The 09-10 team was actually really experienced. Funny enough, the “4th season” young team won a championship.

There were these guys named Rip Hamilton, Kevin Freeman, and Jake Voskuhl who played at UConn.

There was also this guy Caron Butler and his buddy Taliek Brown who played at UConn.

There was also these guys Jerome Dyson, Hasheem Thabeet, Marcus Johnson, Stanley Robinson, Curtis Kelly, Doug Wiggins.

I don't know why you create these wild arguments. Of course we've had freshmen who contributed greatly under Calhoun and under Hurley and of course most of them got better as sophomores.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The best thing about freshman, they become sophomores

Reaction Score
You know, Samson didn't "wait his turn." He was injured and unable to play which led to him losing his spot in the rotation.

The so called Fab Five are all healthy. They have to opportunity to win playing time but none (Castle excepted) has done so. Solo is merely a place holder for the injured Castle. It unlikely any will wait their turn if they are healthy and sit for two years.

caw

Reaction Score
I completely agree that that’s how they’re being coached to play and I hate it.

It’s like neutering an attack dog. Then people wonder why these kids have confidence issues when they’re playing to not make mistakes instead of playing to make plays.

Everyone on the team should be held to the same standard.

It makes for better players down the road but I do understand the frustration.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Karaban will leave. So we're looking at Karaban, Samson, Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Singare, Nowell, Abraham. Not sure on The Greek.
What about Ross?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There were these guys named Rip Hamilton, Kevin Freeman, and Jake Voskuhl who played at UConn.

There was also this guy Caron Butler and his buddy Taliek Brown who played at UConn.

There was also these guys Jerome Dyson, Hasheem Thabeet, Marcus Johnson, Stanley Robinson, Curtis Kelly, Doug Wiggins.

I don't know why you create these wild arguments. Of course we've had freshmen who contributed greatly under Calhoun and under Hurley and of course most of them got better as sophomores.
90s are too far back for me. The Dyson and Hasheem team was the one I was referring to. I don’t think you’re bringing in transfers over guys who were scoring 15 PPG either with Rip and Caron anyways.

I’m pulling from the middle tier here on experienced teams, but you can’t tell me any of Hurley’s freshmen have played fearless like these guys. Again, there’s way better examples to pull from too outside of these two. But that’s how Calhoun coached them to play. And they were better off for it.

Reaction Score
I just want Solo to attack the rim more, specifically on close outs because teams will know he’s a willing shooter. Seems like most of his 2s have come on putbacks. I love that aspect of crashing, but use that otherworldly athleticism and wingspan and go force a foul or get a bucket.

Reaction Score
You know, Samson didn't "wait his turn." He was injured and unable to play which led to him losing his spot in the rotation.

The so called Fab Five are all healthy. They have to opportunity to win playing time but none (Castle excepted) has done so. Solo is merely a place holder for the injured Castle. It unlikely any will wait their turn if they are healthy and sit for two years.
Solo although he hasn't shot it well yet has definitely earned playing time. I think Stewart will continue to improve and see a few minutes regularly. We knew Singare was a project and Ross wasn't projected to see much time year one. And of course Castle is a stud so the freshman are probably performing as expected. I'm still pretty high on this class and we weren't going to play a rotation of more than 8 maybe 9

Reaction Score
90s are too far back for me. The Dyson and Hasheem team was the one I was referring to. I don’t think you’re bringing in transfers over guys who were scoring 15 PPG either with Rip and Caron anyways.

I’m pulling from the middle tier here on experienced teams, but you can’t tell me any of Hurley’s freshmen have played fearless like these guys. Again, there’s way better examples to pull from too outside of these two. But that’s how Calhoun coached them to play. And they were better off for it.

I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Our best freshman has been out with injury, our freshman who replaced him in the starting lineup has the green light and just shot 8 threes last game. A freshman led us in minutes last year and our other freshman last year backed up the best big in the country and was hugely important to UConn winning the title. Bouknight averaged 26 minutes as a freshman despite being wildly immature and getting in major trouble off the court. Akok averaged 28 minutes per game as a freshman, Gaffney 19 minutes per game. Sanogo got 17 minutes per game, I thought it should've been bumped up to around 20 minutes per game but whatever. Jackson got 16 minutes per game. Hawkins got 15 minutes per game. Neither of them were ready and they were still thrown into the fire, they would've gotten more minutes if they didn't get dinged up.

Marcus Williams averaged 14 minutes per game and 3 ppg as a frosh before having to sit out. Why on earth are you posting a highlight film of him? He's the best and most creative passer in UConn history, of course we haven't had another player who plays like him. Same goes for Boat, we haven't had another 5'10 jumping jack off the bounce iso player like him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Our best freshman has been out with injury, our freshman who replaced him in the starting lineup has the green light and just shot 8 threes last game. A freshman led us in minutes last year and our other freshman last year backed up the best big in the country and was hugely important to UConn winning the title. Bouknight averaged 26 minutes as a freshman despite being wildly immature and getting in major trouble off the court. Akok averaged 28 minutes per game as a freshman, Gaffney 19 minutes per game. Sanogo got 17 minutes per game, I thought it should've been bumped up to around 20 minutes per game but whatever. Jackson got 16 minutes per game. Hawkins got 15 minutes per game. Neither of them were ready and they were still thrown into the fire, they would've gotten more minutes if they didn't get dinged up.

Marcus Williams averaged 14 minutes per game and 3 ppg as a frosh before having to sit out. Why on earth are you posting a highlight film of him? He's the best and most creative passer in UConn history, of course we haven't had another player who plays like him. Same goes for Boat, we haven't had another 5'10 jumping jack off the bounce iso player like him.
You can say something about every UConn freshmen for Calhoun that played well.

You’d say Rashad was the best 3 point shooter, Kemba was the most electric, Bazz crafty, etc. etc.

We should be calling Solo one of the best athletes but we’re not because he only has the green light to shoot 3s all day instead of showcasing that. We should’ve been calling Hawkins one of the best shooters like Rashad his freshman year.

Things work themselves out once guys have bigger roles to play more freely, but I do miss watching freshman consistently come in ready to make plays.

Reaction Score
Hurley wants Solo to shoot those shots, he’d pull him out if he didn’t. It’d be nice if he was making more for sure. If he passed on an open one for a drive that ended in a turnover then he’d probably get pulled.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley wants Solo to shoot those shots, he’d pull him out if he didn’t. It’d be nice if he was making more for sure. If he passed on an open one for a drive that ended in a turnover then he’d probably get pulled.
That’s an issue if he can’t make mistakes on drives to the rim the same way he makes mistakes shooting 3s. Complete waste of his athletic talent.

Reaction Score
You can say something about every UConn freshmen for Calhoun that played well.

You’d say Rashad was the best 3 point shooter, Kemba was the most electric, Bazz crafty, etc. etc.

We should be calling Solo one of the best athletes but we’re not because he only has the green light to shoot 3s all day instead of showcasing that. We should’ve been calling Hawkins one of the best shooters like Rashad his freshman year.

Things work themselves out once guys have bigger roles to play more freely, but I do miss watching freshman consistently come in ready to make plays.
No, I wouldn't say any of that.

I'm sorry I ever even responded to you. This is a masturbatory exercise for you and I'll leave you alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom