Same old Notre Dame | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Same old Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is...the same path that Arkansas, Vanderbilt, UCLA, etc. have....

Georgia isn't playing for it either...

Beat a team or two that is in the CFP top 15. Schedule a couple of top teams...might be two for one (as UCF turned down to play with Florida).

But putting a team into the CFP that hasn't beaten a good team, for "social equity reasons'" is like eating food that you don’t like just because it’s sitting in your fridge and getting ready to go bad. Don’t do it.
IF UCF had beaten 5 top 20 teams during that unbeaten season the voters would still find a way of keeping them from the top ranking
The whole thing is run by the P5 - plain and simple
Thats why the March Madness has a sense of equity - albeit that it is also skewed towards the P5s BUT there is a chance a non P5 can sneak in and win it all
College football the way it is today? NO WAY

Reaction Score
There is...the same path that Arkansas, Vanderbilt, UCLA, etc. have....

Georgia isn't playing for it either...

Beat a team or two that is in the CFP top 15. Schedule a couple of top teams...might be two for one (as UCF turned down to play with Florida).

But putting a team into the CFP that hasn't beaten a good team, for "social equity reasons'" is like eating food that you don’t like just because it’s sitting in your fridge and getting ready to go bad. Don’t do it.

Cincy and the other G5 programs do not have the same path as P5 programs. They don’t have the same access to scheduling and they don’t have the ability to recruit (because they don’t have the access to the BCS series). The playing field between the P5 and G5 is not level. As currently constituted I don’t believe we’ll see a G5 program in the playoff in our lifetime absent one of those programs being invited to a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Cincy and the other G5 programs do not have the same path as P5 programs. They don’t have the same access to scheduling and they don’t have the ability to recruit (because they don’t have the access to the BCS series). The playing field between the P5 and G5 is not level. As currently constituted I don’t believe we’ll see a G5 program in the playoff in our lifetime absent one of those programs being invited to a P5 conference.

IF UCF had beaten 5 top 20 teams during that unbeaten season the voters would still find a way of keeping them from the top ranking
The whole thing is run by the P5 - plain and simple
Thats why the March Madness has a sense of equity - albeit that it is also skewed towards the P5s BUT there is a chance a non P5 can sneak in and win it all
College football the way it is today? NO WAY

I get it...this is a frustrated rant...but you have little ammunition...if Cincinnati was undefeated with an SOS of 50...they would get a lot more consideration. They might indeed be good...but wins-losses is also a function of your schedule.

What separates Cincinnati from Liberty? wins? Or 7-0 San Jose State ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And I say..what is occurring in football also occurs in the UConn Women's Basketball...a good team attracts athletes who want to play for them. Do you blame the athletes?

The fact that UConn and Notre Dame collectively, have played in 12 of the last 11 finals smacks of elitism. Who do you blame ?

The rich keep getting rich....until someone builds up a program over time...

Reaction Score
In football winning isn't everything when it comes to "how good are you".

Army is 9-2...WVU is 5-4....Is that indicative of the final score in the bowl game?

Schedule counts even in basketball....weaker RPI usually will translate to a lower seed... Beating top 50 teams plays in.

And historical data tells us that the seeds #9-16 have zero chance to make the Final game...zero.

And if you are a seed #4--#.8....your odds of playing in the Final are 2.1% or lower.

The true odds of seeds #1-#3 winning the chamionship are...88.6%

Reaction Score
I get it...this is a frustrated rant...but you have little ammunition...if Cincinnati was undefeated with an SOS of 50...they would get a lot more consideration. They might indeed be good...but wins-losses is also a function of your schedule.

What separates Cincinnati from Liberty? wins? Or 7-0 San Jose State ?

You mistook my statement of facts for a rant.......or you are deflecting. I suspect the latter.

Reaction Score
You mistook my statement of facts for a rant.......or you are deflecting. I suspect the latter.

OK..maybe I was off some...I conflated your post with that of gtcam in my replay as you can see...and I was really replying to his post

But...the truth is, with 120 plus teams that range from Alabama to UTSA...there is no way that they all will compete on the same footing.

Always...strength will be distributed on a Bell Curve and the bottom three quartiles have no shot to win a championship. Football, because the season is only 12 games, uses the season as part of the playoff...lose that second game and you are out...play a SOS of 80 plus, you may not get the credit of a team with similar wins that plays a schedule ranked much tougher.

Folks want the "appearance" of having a shot...similar to the illusion that we buy into in basketball. But lining a Camry up in the back row at Darlington is not really a shot.

Because of the nature of the game, basketball has the luxury of having a tourney that feeds an illusion of being able to compete although the data is very clear that it is, in fact, an illusion. Seeds #4-16 have, historically, not been able to move to the Finals. If you cut the tourney down to just four seeds, it would have no real affect on the Championship game. But you would forgo the egalitarian aspect and the illusion we love...that many have a chance.

I have made a lot of points in this discussion which are not addressed....the only replys seem to be "the G5 are disadvantaged to the point of not being in the picture when it comes to the playoff". Of course that is true and will be true until they expand to an 8 team playoff. And even then, an Alabama will blow away some G5 designee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ahhh...now that is deflection.

No answers either, I'd bet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suppose that if they were playing #1-8 in the CFP this year......Cincinnati would be facing Alabama.. A rough seeding.

I guess that would be the main chance to make a splash.,

FSU's turning point, I believe, was playing the Bear's defending SEC champ team to a tie...The TV mike caught Bear screaming "What the hell is 's going on out there?"

1967...Also the first year that FSU beat the Gators in Gainesville...

Cincinnatii aquitting itself well as a favorite against Georgiia could also be a turning point.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember when the Irish fans' arrogantly believed they were a top program and were actually good enough to win "big games?" Now, their fans are just happy to be invited to lose them.

You'll want to keep lowering your standards. You aren't going to lose in the National Championship game. That pie in the sky dream will be dead two possessions in against the Tide.
Lowering the standards? By wanting to play in the championship game? Playing in the game for the National Championship is the standard that I hope ND always has.

Reaction Score
Maybe the Buckeyes also have to avoid the Notre Dame big game hoodoo....

They are 0-4 against Clemson....all in big post season games....if they go zip for five against the Tigers....the word will be out.

Reaction Score
Maybe the Buckeyes also have to avoid the Notre Dame big game hoodoo....

They are 0-4 against Clemson....all in big post season games....if they go zip for five against the Tigers....the word will be out.
Excepts that Ohio State has won the big game.

Reaction Score
They did,,,the only time since 2006 that the SEC has not been in the Title game....the Buckeyes are .250 against Bama..all bowls.

Reaction Score
Lowering the standards? By wanting to play in the championship game? Playing in the game for the National Championship is the standard that I hope ND always has.
Looks like joining the ACC was the wrong move.

Reaction Score
but just think, only one team all year was able to beat the #1 team in the country. It was Notre Dame.
Last I checked, ND did not beat Alabama. If you're talking about Clemson, pretty sure I saw Ohio State demolish them on Friday.

Reaction Score
Last I checked, ND did not beat Alabama. If you're talking about Clemson, pretty sure I saw Ohio State demolish them on Friday.

yes, I’m talking about Notre Dame beating #1 Clemson. When Ohio State beat Clemson they were not ranked #1. Face it, ND was the only team this year to beat a team ranked #1.

Reaction Score
.....with Trevor Lawrence btw

Reaction Score
.....with Trevor Lawrence btw

so evidently Trevor Lawrence wasn’t all that important. So Missing Trevor Lawrence might not have been as damaging as ND losing two offensive linemen.

Reaction Score
yes, I’m talking about Notre Dame beating #1 Clemson. When Ohio State beat Clemson they were not ranked #1. Face it, ND was the only team this year to beat a team ranked #1.
I’m gonna put this here too.

8D49C19A-761C-4986-8CAD-E721A16177B1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member