Sam Cassell Jr. to UCONN! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sam Cassell Jr. to UCONN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now you've got me trying to imagine what Ricky Williams would be like as a recruiter. Safe to say he would have landed Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

I started typing Ricky and the rest is history. . . At least I didn't type Ricky Ricardo.

Reaction Score
Bottom Line:
Sam is starting to turn into solid point guard at the C-USA/CAA level. He plays a similar game to his father in taking advantage of mismatches and being a floor general in getting players and the ball to where it needs to be. His length defensively was effective in getting deflections. He displays poise and the ability to knock down open shots. He knows how to play.

Is he really considered a CUSA/CAA (i.e. mid-major level) talent? That seems unlikely, given the caliber of schools that were recruiting him. Is this scouting report overly pessimistic, outdated, or both?

caw

Reaction Score
Is he really considered a CUSA/CAA (i.e. mid-major level) talent? That seems unlikely, given the caliber of schools that were recruiting him. Is this scouting report overly pessimistic, outdated, or both?

Old IMO. He did come on a bit late his senior year. He was a spring signing by Maryland I believe.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It was just overly simplistic.

When your analysis of his weaknesses are "he's thin and he needs to get more loose balls", you don't really know what you're talking about.

He committed to Maryland, not Old Dominion, so perhaps the ESPN monkey was mistaken.

Reaction Score

When your analysis of his weaknesses are "he's thin and he needs to get more loose balls", you don't really know what you're talking about.

He committed to Maryland, not Old Dominion, so perhaps the ESPN monkey was mistaken.

They rally are monkeys at espn, no quality control, just throw it at the wall and see what sticks

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They rally are monkeys at espn, no quality control, just throw it at the wall and see what sticks
Nah! They used a real crystal ball (unlike the 247 bunch) and are actually correct! Lot's of guys in our own forum call the AAC conference USA 2.o.

Reaction Score
From the videos posted he looks to have good offensive skills and passing IQ so this is a great signing. His step back reminds me of both Bazz and Boat. It was hard to tell how quick he is though. He recognizes that his path to the NBA is KO's point guard school, which is why we got him. Smart kid.

Reaction Score

Are they guessing he has tight balls or do they know for sure

U

UCONNfan1

David Borges@DaveBorges
Cassell.: "If I want to make money playing basketball, I've got to be a point guard. Coach Ollie said I'll be in a lot of PG situations but whatever guard gets (the ball), can go." #uconn

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2013/10/sam-cassell-jr-uconn-felt-like-place.html
This quote seems to be very telling. It sounds like for now, Ollie is not necessarily looking at using a pure PG (like Brown who was great with the ball but not a scorer/shooter really), but rather a 2 guard approach. I think that could be a terrific way to run the offense - sort of like putting Bazz and Boat on the court together - 2 guys who CAN play the 1, distribute the ball, etc, BUT also can shoot and score from anywhere. That means a full court press won't be as effective when you have really talented ball handlers instead of just one primary ball handler.

I know I'm oversimplifying it, but it seems like a great strategy IMHO... and as others have pointed out, we've had some great guard tandems in the past...

Reaction Score
Though he grew up a Maryland fan, Cassell said he also had a rooting interest in his new school.
“I always followed UConn, always a Husky,” Cassell said. “I really started paying attention to UConn with Kemba Walker, when he took over that year [the Huskies won the national title]. … [And] I know [Baltimore native and former UConn star] Rudy [Gay]. I don’t know if he knows about [my commitment] now, but I know he will know.”

Reaction Score
Old IMO. He did come on a bit late his senior year. He was a spring signing by Maryland I believe.

I was going to chime in as well. Often these scouting reports are out-dated.

What's funny is I had thought that it read at the C-USA/AAC level , downgrading our new conference, but it read at the C-USA/CAA level. I guess I'm a tad defensive about our new conference, which I think will get better as long as they get good TV exposure. We've already seen some of the other non-Old-Big_East programs begin to get some highly ranked recruits. If that begins to trend upwardly, the conference will have a number of elite to very good basketball programs. As for FB...hum...that's a whole other story.

Reaction Score
espn scouting reports mean zilch. See : Tyler Olander. Our backup pgs in 2014 will both be 6'4...! By that I mean I don't see RP, Calhoun, and Hamilton sitting. If we land Swift/Robinson, our roster is going to be stellar... Hell it's stellar right now.

Reaction Score
From Scout:

Most of the grassroots community still is ruminating on Kelly Oubre's decision in favor of Kansas and what that may mean for the big three elite centers — as Brian Snow profiled earlier today — but Connecticut landed a significant piece on Wednesday that warrants attention.
Sam Cassell Jr., a 6-4, 180-pound combo guard, committed to the Huskies over Louisville, Marquette, Missouri and others. The son of the former NBA star, the younger Cassell competes at Chipola (Fla.) JC and will have three years of eligibility in Storrs.
And his pops definitely gets an assist. Cassell Sr. and Kevin Ollie played together briefly in the NBA, but that time proved formative for Cassell Jr. and the relationship created there held true through the recruiting process.
Cassell and transfer Rodney Purvis (sitting out this season) will comprise one of the country's tallest backcourts in 2014-15. Both standing 6-4, the Huskies will be able to generate significant matchup problems for opponents in the AAC.
UConn also holds pledges from Daniel Hamilton and Rakim Lubin, and Ollie and his assistants also remain on the trail of big-time forward Devin Robinson. Along with Purvis, and no matter what Robinson decides, they'll have among the strongest incoming groups to the conference next season.

Reaction Score
Yes, finally some good news!!!!
bounce-uconn-bounce-2-20-13.gif

Now that is what I call nice huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads