Safe to Say 1 Player is Returning | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Safe to Say 1 Player is Returning

Reaction Score
where do you guys stand on none of our bigs being able to legally set screens all season?

it was clear form Ollie's reaction at times that this had been communicated.

I'm starting to really buy into the rumors that coaching staff vastly outworked the players.

Whatever CL82 thinks on moving screens I’m the opposite LOL just kidding. It’s ignorant on the kids part not to get this right pretty simple concept right, stand still. Not on the coaching staff for that but part of it could be the other players who are driving their men into the screen? I mean if they aren’t getting close enough the screener may think about moving an extra foot or so to get a piece of the defender... but they shouldn’t.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Whatever CL82 thinks on moving screens I’m the opposite LOL just kidding. It’s ignorant on the kids part not to get this right pretty simple concept right, stand still. Not on the coaching staff for that but part of it could be the other players who are driving their men into the screen? I mean if they aren’t getting close enough the screener may think about moving an extra foot or so to get a piece of the defender... but they shouldn’t.

The problem is they're not even setting up. They're straight up running into the defender. From behind. Which is an automatic foul.

That is basic basketball. That makes me wonder about the caliber of BB IQ kids that Ollie is getting.

They should've learned that you cant do that in freaking middle school basketball.

Reaction Score
The problem is they're not even setting up. They're straight up running into the defender. From behind. Which is an automatic foul.

That is basic basketball. That makes me wonder about the caliber of BB IQ kids that Ollie is getting.

They should've learned that you cant do that in freaking middle school basketball.
On the other hand, do you think this same team would have had a problem with things like moving screens under Jim Calhoun? I don't.

Reaction Score
"UConn mbb" still in his bio, which seems like a good sign for the time being.
Everyone with Twitter account shoulde reply to him with words of husky love and encouragement

the Q

Reaction Score
On the other hand, do you think this same team would have had a problem with things like moving screens under Jim Calhoun? I don't.

This is something so basic that i'm just baffled it's an issue with any college player.

Reaction Score
This is something so basic that i'm just baffled it's an issue with any college player.
I agree that it should be basic, but the fact that it wasn't being corrected tells me that it wasn't being stressed as a big deal by the coaching staff.

The players obviously should know better too, but it doesn't seem like they were being given any reason to do differently. How many times were guys immediately taken out of games for mental errors like that? Not very many that I can recall.

Reaction Score
I agree that it should be basic, but the fact that it wasn't being corrected tells me that it wasn't being stressed as a big deal by the coaching staff.

The players obviously should know better too, but it doesn't seem like they were being given any reason to do differently. How many times were guys immediately taken out of games for mental errors like that? Not very many that I can recall.

From the Hartford Courant UConn Insider podcast today, Dom Amore actually criticized KO for being "lax" with the players after the 3 guys transferred last spring. He then says "that's a story for another day." (I want that story -- it's been hinted at enough here so let's get it from a credible source).

Probably speaks to the overall way the program has been managed the last year or so.

Reaction Score
Very hard to coach, but very important. And to mau's credit, some kids DO have trouble ever picking it up, regardless of coaching. But a coaches job is to help maximize this IQ. I think jay wright may be the best. That read and react type motion of his is beautiful. He coaches offensive "concepts" like a savant

I'm a college coach in a different sport and it is very difficult to teach sport IQ. Some kids understand the game where it's much more fluid, other kids just can't do the little things that make a very big difference. That IQ just doesn't come naturally it's an indication of how they were coached from when they were young - if a kid has never been taught to find and move into space, it's very hard to get them to grasp that concept on top of all the other things that are being thrown at them when they get to school. They get it intellectually, but it's not natural for them to do so they're a half a step slow. Some guys are looking for a playbook to tell them to go x distance and do y, but that's not reality for most sports as most sports are much more fluid than football.

You teach the theory and 10,000' view of what's we want to happen (here's the strategy and how we're looking to exploit X and here's animations to show it), then when it comes to putting it into practice the athletes with the good foundation of coaching get how things need to be finessed when a defense is present and active. They know things like understanding how to use your hips to manipulate the defense and how a defenders head will tell you when to cut and how to fill space to create opportunities.

I spend plenty of time shaking my head and yelling WTF are you doing we just went over this two minutes ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm against moving screens.

Reaction Score
Unless the rules change wouldnt he have to sit out a year if he transfers somewhere else?

Reaction Score
Jalen posted a story on Instagram today that was just a pic of him in uniform with a big UConn logo behind him. Probably a good sign??

Was thinking the same thing. Seems like already have a good crew coming back in Rique + JA (unconfirmed but seems likely), CV, Sid, Whaley, and Cobb. Diarra, Matthews, and Kisunas are the main 3 I want on top of that. With those 9 it’s:

G Jalen Adams
G Christian Vital
F Sid Wilson
F Isaiah Whaley
C Eric Cobb

Rique as the ballhandler off the bench,
Matthews at the wing off the bench
Diarra as the 4 off the bench
Kisunas as the center off the bench

Reaction Score
I'm against moving screens.
I can't figure out how one is defined. It seems like every screen I see set in College and the NBA are moving screens. The screener is almost always shuffling their feet to stay in front of the screenee. Am I misunderstanding what a moving screen is?

the Q

Reaction Score
I can't figure out how one is defined. It seems like every screen I see set in College and the NBA are moving screens. The screener is almost always shuffling their feet to stay in front of the screenee. Am I misunderstanding what a moving screen is?

No. It's just bad officiating.

I hadn't watched any NBA since game 7 in 2010, but I watched the last 2 minutes of Duncan's last game (just to make sure he was leaving), and saw like 8 moving screens in 2 minutes of action.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's just a blocking foul. Typically called when the screening player tries to adjust his position by moving his feet or by leaning, or utilizes the butt jut, if you are Grayson Allen.

Reaction Score

A moving screen has turned out to be what ever the official calling it sees it as. I mean there have been a few obvious against the Huskies but there were also quite a few which seemed to be called just because they do it so often. Bobby Knights offense in his heyday consisted of 1 every trip down the court, at least.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom