S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 18 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, definitely. Comparing to Boston, she has more freedom in her movement. Boston always seemed very mechanical, which isn't a bad thing, but she rarely played a face up game like that. Her greatness was in getting position and finding her spots. I think Feagin will be more versatile offensively. She moves like a guard but has the body of a forward. That's a lethal combo and I can see a glimpse of why Dawn thinks Feagin is the most offensively talented player on last year's team.
I still think she is a half a tick to fast in her shot. Like on those spin moves..spin, free yourself, take a half second to aim and shoot..

Reaction Score
I still think she is a half a tick to fast in her shot. Like on those spin moves..spin, free yourself, take a half second to aim and shoot..

I disagree. As a player you’re taught to make your move and then get straight into your shot. She isn’t going to have that much time after the spin to take her time and shoot, so it’s great execution that she’s jumping straight into her shot once that left foot hits the floor.

Reaction Score
Yeah, definitely. Comparing to Boston, she has more freedom in her movement. Boston always seemed very mechanical, which isn't a bad thing, but she rarely played a face up game like that. Her greatness was in getting position and finding her spots. I think Feagin will be more versatile offensively. She moves like a guard but has the body of a forward. That's a lethal combo and I can see a glimpse of why Dawn thinks Feagin is the most offensively talented player on last year's team.

The play where she drives down takes a bump with a couple dribbles, then spins back middle with the push shot over the top is perfect! I’ve been wanting our bigs to do that for forever! I hope she is teaching Kamilla the spin back to the middle with the shot over top too! No one would be able to block her shots!

Reaction Score
I disagree. As a player you’re taught to make your move and then get straight into your shot. She isn’t going to have that much time after the spin to take her time and shoot, so it’s great execution that she’s jumping straight into her shot once that left foot hits the floor.
So you don't think she is rushing just a hair ?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
So you don't think she is rushing just a hair ?
No. I just think she’s that quick in her motion. Some players have a quick shooting motion.

Feagin’s game is very similar to A’ja’s currently. As good as A’ja was at SC, some of things Feagin is doing in this video are things we didn’t see Wilson do on the court until the WNBA, not to say she couldn’t.. it’s just hard to play in a crowd. Which I don’t think will be a problem for Feagin this year.

Reaction Score
All this talk about next season has me excited. As sad as I am to see the freshies go, I am so excited to see who steps up their game to fill the void. A 1-2 punch of Feagin and Cardoso could be lethal. How many teams on our schedule would have the size and athleticism to match up with those two? The only teams that come to mind are LSU, Tennessee, and UConn.

Reaction Score
Boston was very intelligent and humble on the floor. She rarely made the wrong decision.

Reaction Score
No. I just think she’s that quick in her motion. Some players have a quick shooting motion.

Feagin’s game is very similar to A’ja’s currently. As good as A’ja was at SC, some of things Feagin is doing in this video are things we didn’t see Wilson do on the court until the WNBA, not to say she couldn’t.. it’s just hard to play in a crowd. Which I don’t think will be a problem for Feagin this year.

I think the book vs Dawn will always be take away the paint first, because she believes in it so heavily and we tend to be so big and dominant.

So it's just so important that the backcourt makes shots.

Offensively, we could very well have a better team. Not hard to imagine.

Reaction Score

Maybe coach should play her more at 3..but she and Kitts would be competing for Minutes.. or modify the offense to 4 out & 1 in.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Maybe coach should play her more at 3..but she and Kitts would be competing for Minutes.. or modify the offense to 4 out & 1 in.
I would love to see more of a 4 out/1 in offense, similar to what we had during our 2020 season, but in order for that to happen some people on the team would have to prove they can consistently shoot it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Any of yall gray hairs remember former SC player Karen Middleton? According to the bio she is in the top 10 all time scorers at Baby Carolina. Anyway she's been named assistant coach for the mighty Blue Devils. I guess ill have to accept her.

Reaction Score
Had multiple screens on so I could catch the game. Indiana started off slow as a team. Aliyah got more comfortable and just kept plugging away. As the game progressed, you could see she was more comfortable.

The second half was a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunate that both she and Smith got benched due to fouls early in the third. They play well off of each other. Their play in the fourth quarter was a lot of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
On draft night I said I thought Zia was a bad pick for the Sparks. It seems Miller has a lot of faith in her. I think she will flourish now that she has more freedom out of Dawn’s post oriented offense. I think she will eventually be in the starting lineup over Brown or Canada. Definitely made me eat my words.

Reaction Score
How awesome would it be if Cooke, Boston and Amihere make all freshman team. I think it’s very possible!

Reaction Score
On draft night I said I thought Zia was a bad pick for the Sparks. It seems Miller has a lot of faith in her. I think she will flourish now that she has more freedom out of Dawn’s post oriented offense. I think she will eventually be in the starting lineup over Brown or Canada. Definitely made me eat my words.
Zia had all the freedom in the world in Dawn’s offense. You can’t have more freedom when 3 or 4 defenders of your opponents are sagging down toward one of your teammates every game.

Reaction Score
Zia had all the freedom in the world in Dawn’s offense. You can’t have more freedom when 3 or 4 defenders of your opponents are sagging down toward one of your teammates every game.
I think she’ll be similar to Ariel Atkins in that their collegiate program’s system isn’t best for their style of play like their pro team’s style

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She had freedom but it was more take the ball and make something happen vs. playing in more of a motion offense that creates clean looks for her

Reaction Score
Any unsubstantiated rumors out here in gamecock land lately? Who was the mystery transfer Portal Player that never officially entered the portal. Was it C Brink? Is it true to SCar canceled the A. Morrow visit? I heard LSU is really Making a push for Joyce Edwards. [Machiavellian move if it happens] How crucial is it that SCar gets either both K. Koval and B. Thomas in the post next year ? Is Jelani Cambridge really the big get in the 2024 class or is the undervalued Sarah Strong the jewel for 2024 ?

Reaction Score
I would imagine everyone is pushing hard for Joyce. I really hope we land her. I am from her hometown and she is very tight lipped about her recruitment from what I can tell. At one time I heard rumors that she was tired of everyone assuming she was going to SC but hopefully the draw of playing so close to home for a powerhouse will overcome that. Her high school coach is also a SC WBB alum.

I worry about the NIL impact bc it seems like LSU has very deep pockets :/

It would be nice to land she and Cambridge as they play together for the same AAU team.

Reaction Score
Any unsubstantiated rumors out here in gamecock land lately? Who was the mystery transfer Portal Player that never officially entered the portal. Was it C Brink? Is it true to SCar canceled the A. Morrow visit? I heard LSU is really Making a push for Joyce Edwards. [Machiavellian move if it happens] How crucial is it that SCar gets either both K. Koval and B. Thomas in the post next year ? Is Jelani Cambridge really the big get in the 2024 class or is the undervalued Sarah Strong the jewel for 2024 ?
I feel like Joyce is still a SC lean. Until proven otherwise, any highly touted instate prospect, I can never see Dawn let leave the state. Unless a player is that driven to leave the state (which happens from time to time if you follow college athletics recruiting).

I heard Cambridge is high on SC and will be in her final group of official visits later this year.

Koval seems like a mystery to me. All I know is she has visited Stanford and thats about it. I know ND and other schools have pushed for a visit but still haven't heard anything about her

Reaction Score
I would imagine everyone is pushing hard for Joyce. I really hope we land her. I am from her hometown and she is very tight lipped about her recruitment from what I can tell. At one time I heard rumors that she was tired of everyone assuming she was going to SC but hopefully the draw of playing so close to home for a powerhouse will overcome that. Her high school coach is also a SC WBB alum.

It would be nice to land she and Cambridge as they play together for the same AAU team.
What era of Gamecock WBB did the Camden coach play in? Coach Parson ? Coach Wilson? or Coach Walvius?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I jut don't see the rank and file big money boosters sending alot of money over to WBB NIL. I think Van Lith, Flau Jae', and Reese already had established brands that contributed to their current 6 figure deals. I just don't see NIL being a factor at LSU for WBB. LSU $$ for NIL is going to Football. in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom