Rutgers Role in the Big Ten | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rutgers Role in the Big Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You seem to be trying to convince yourself more than anything.

There's no rational argument that Maryland for Louisville is a good gain for the ACC. Was Louisville a solid replacement? Sure. They have an athletic department that's very good top to bottom and some national name recognition.

But an upgrade from Maryland? Not even close. You lost the flagship university in a well-populated state that has some pull in two major metropolitans ... and gained a school in a small city in Kentucky. It's a loss for the ACC, and you're not very bright if you think otherwise.
What good is a flagship university that doesn't even have the teams to show up at the meets and matches because it cut its programs? I don't care how many people live in the state. If they cut the sports, they're worthless.

Reaction Score
Well, it sounds like a win-win. B1G gets more money which they're after and ACC gets more tennis and swimming.
It remains to be seen how much more money the B1G will get. And yes the ACC gets another athletic department that is very healthy, has tennis and swimming, and has a bigger Football Stadium that it fills, and a bigger basketball areana that it also fills.

Reaction Score
Fans down in this southern part of the ACC are thrilled at the idea of losing Maryland for Louisville....

Maryland was a tepid football fanbase, a lousy opponent in terms of providing a semblance of being competitive, and a dumpster fire of an athletic department...cutting programs, bleeding red ink...

Reaction Score
Folks- it was always about the eyeballs for the Big Ten Network and a place for Ohio State, Michigan, etc to visit for their alumni and recruiting.

Here's a New York Times article on the dumpster fire itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/business/the-big-tens-bigger-footprint.html?smid=fb-share

If we have AAU status, we can recify the problem with Delaney's logic.
Exactly....Rutgers is the neighborhood kid that is invited to play football solely because he has the right size backyard.

Reaction Score
What good is a flagship university that doesn't even have the teams to show up at the meets and matches because it cut its programs? I don't care how many people live in the state. If they cut the sports, they're worthless.

You're placing way too much emphasis on that budget. Lots of schools subsidize their sports. Virginia does too. $11 million. Maryland was at $17 million. The difference between the two schools in $6 million.

Reaction Score
Maryland is in the B1G...with Rutgers...

Louisville is in the ACC....

That is the way it is...I, for one am pleased with that...some may not be..But it is what it is and ain't going away.

The ACC is now talking divisional realignment. I will wait until that becomes clearer before I speculate on how, or if, that affects ACC CR.

Reaction Score
You're placing way too much emphasis on that budget. Lots of schools subsidize their sports. Virginia does too. $11 million. Maryland was at $17 million. The difference between the two schools in $6 million.
My emphasis is on the Director's Cup finishes and health of the athletic department financially. Virginia right now sponsors 25 sports. I'd like to see UVA add some more. The highest we've been able to achieve in the Director's Cup is #3 a few years ago. I'd like to see UVA win it. Stanford seems to have a stranglehold on it.

Louisville sponsors 22 sports that the ACC sponsors. That's a good fit. UConn sponsors 23 sports that the ACC sponsors which is also a good fit. Both also make an effort to be competitive in all their sports too. I like that. I don't want schools that only go through the motions either. We have some baseball programs in the league that seem to be doing this. Maryland is one of them. That's not good. Duke was doing it in football. But the new Athletic Director and Coach have decided to up their game in football. That's good for the league.

Maryland used to sponsor all 25 sports that the ACC sponsors. Now they are down to 18 because they can't run a successful athletic department of the size they were trying to. Is Maryland a fit? Sure they've been here for 60 years. But Louisville and UConn are both now better fits because Louisville and UConn would have better league participation. This is what I emphasize. I'm not the guy who only cares about football or even basketball.

Reactions: pj

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like the idea that Louisville is adding sports and is close to the ACC's 25 sports. Maryland just flushed 7 of their sports. That statement shows very much accuracy in the context of reality. The Maryland athletic program cuts did occur. You can research it yourself.

Maybe someday I'll understand why the number of sports a school sponsors matters.

Reaction Score
My emphasis is on the Director's Cup finishes and health of the athletic department financially. Virginia right now sponsors 25 sports. I'd like to see UVA add some more. The highest we've been able to achieve in the Director's Cup is #3 a few years ago. I'd like to see UVA win it. Stanford seems to have a stranglehold on it.

Louisville sponsors 22 sports that the ACC sponsors. That's a good fit. UConn sponsors 23 sports that the ACC sponsors which is also a good fit. Both also make an effort to be competitive in all their sports too. I like that. I don't want schools that only go through the motions either. We have some baseball programs in the league that seem to be doing this. Maryland is one of them. That's not good. Duke was doing it in football. But the new Athletic Director and Coach have decided to up their game in football. That's good for the league.

Maryland used to sponsor all 25 sports that the ACC sponsors. Now they are down to 18 because they can't run a successful athletic department of the size they were trying to. Is Maryland a fit? Sure they've been here for 60 years. But Louisville and UConn are both now better fits because Louisville and UConn would have better league participation. This is what I emphasize. I'm not the guy who only cares about football or even basketball.

You can't bag on people for deciding to stop bleeding.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I follow college tennis and swimming very closely. Maryland just dropped both. They sucked at both before they dropped them. Louisville has both, and they are pretty good at Tennis. I think it is a wonderful trade. Louisville is better at football and basketball too than Maryland.

If your argument is swimming and tennis I believe the term is 'penny wise and pound foolish'.

Reaction Score
Nah.

To the extent that DC cares about college sports, it's Maryland and Georgetown.

Washington Post...

ACC fans should come to grips with the fact that they are very strong in North Carolina, Virginia, Pittsburgh, some lesser cities in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, half a city block in Boston, parts of Kentuckiana and one town in central New York held together by snow and rust.

To me, DC is similar to NYC, in that no one single team will bring them an overwhelming advantage there.

Maryland's own fans don't give a rip about them. I seriously doubt that DC does, either.

UVA's and VPI's presence there will do just fine for the ACC.

Reaction Score
I agree. Maryland is a better fit for the ACC than Louisville, and has a history with the conference. The ACC made out okay with the addition of Louisville, but given the choice I think lost in the ACC would prefer to have Maryland. Also, not only did the ACC trade Maryland for Louisville, they now have a B1G presence right in their backyard.

We've had an SEC presence in our backyard since 1978, a Big East presence for nearly as long, and, have survived just fine.

Reaction Score
Well, it sounds like a win-win. B1G gets more money which they're after and ACC gets more tennis and swimming.

How has all of that extra money helped them in the areas where it matters most...winning championships?

I mean, that is the goal of their teams, right?

pj

Reaction Score
How has all of that extra money helped them in the areas where it matters most...winning championships?

The money hasn't helped their teams, but it helps their university presidents, who are the ones making the decisions about expansion.

Reaction Score

It looks like the "calvary" came to stimps aid when he was under fire by us yankee's?

Reaction Score
You can't bag on people for deciding to stop bleeding.
True. And here is where you and I differ. I don't think Maryland has stopped bleeding. Not in the least.

Reaction Score
It looks like the "calvary" came to stimps aid when he was under fire by us yankee's?
Nickey, I purposely left Rutgers out of this discussion. We're discussing Maryland's Athletic Department. Maryland has won a significant amount of NCAA championships. As a Rutgers person, lay low and be happy where you're at.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True. And here is where you and I differ. I don't think Maryland has stopped bleeding. Not in the least.

BTN money plus fewer sports? You don't think that's worth $6 million more?

Reaction Score
Maryland made the right choice for them....

Now, the question is...Will Maryland still be football fodder in the Big Ten?

The Terps will be playing baseball in a very bad league...they should either dominate or wither to the level of their conference.

Reaction Score
BTN money plus fewer sports? You don't think that's worth $6 million more?
I already see them talking about big capital upgrades to facilities like a $80 million lavish football indoor practice facility. Most cost half that. For a broke department that's certainly big spending. My expectation is that it will be more of the same even with Big Ten money. Red Ink. Wallace Loh just spent $7 million in renovations to the University President's Residence all the while he was flushing 7 sports programs.

Anyway enough about Maryland. They are the Big Ten's problem now.

Reaction Score
I already see them talking about big capital upgrades to facilities like a $80 million lavish football indoor practice facility. Most cost half that. For a broke department that's certainly big spending. My expectation is that it will be more of the same even with Big Ten money. Red Ink. Wallace Loh just spent $7 million in renovations to the University President's Residence all the while he was flushing 7 sports programs.

Anyway enough about Maryland. They are the Big Ten's problem now.

If it's an indoor facility plus football offices/training building, that seems like a normal price in a high income region. UConn spent $65m a decade ago. If it's just the indoor facility, I agree with you.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits