Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Rutgirls roll in Big Ten:

_19406-.jpg

Reaction Score
You will have mutiny in the Big Ten if Delaney even considers putting their basketball tournament anywhere outside of the midwest. For years the Big Ten didn't even have a basketball tournament. The coach at Michigan State, Tom Izzo, is already complaining publicly about the Maryland/Rutgers additions. The Big Ten is the Midwestern Conference, and will remain the Midwestern Conference. It will be over the strong opposition of all of its basketball powers to have their tournament in a foreign region. It's opposition that I doubt even Delaney would fight. New Yorkers will watch the Big Ten Tournament on TV. Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State will not be consulted for basketball.

Time will tell. Delany does want NYC and while Chicago is a great basketball town, it is not New York City and everything that comes with it. The B1G Tournament at the United Center in Chicago, or the Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, or whatever arena the Pistons get in Detroit will be good. The B1G Tournament at MSG in the Big Apple would be a national event.

Reaction Score
Watch out! Nicky from Newark will take you to task.
No,but I'm keeping an eye on your propaganda!! Its tough for you to stand by your word...isn't it?As far as UConn fans venting I can relate to their situation.

Reaction Score
An Ohio State football game against either Rutgers or Maryland will not be of any interest to anyone that didn't go to either Ohio State or the other school. I'm not so sure it will be of much interest to the people who went to Ohio State to be honest. Talk about boring. That's it.

And yes the ACC will be taking its Lil tournament to DC and to New York at some point, and it will be very successful in both cities. The only hole that the ACC has in the Mid-Atlantic is Philadelphia. But the ACC has never had Philadelphia to begin with, so that's nothing new.
Yeah,like ACC fans are lining up for FSU/VA or VA/WF or VA/SU!Lets face it in VA your behind old BE team VT in popularity but at least VT has some eastern interest where no one follows Va up here(maybe 1 or 2 alums?) that I've ever heard?

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah,like ACC fans are lining up for FSU/VA or VA/WF or VA/SU!Lets face it in VA your behind old BE team VT in popularity but at least VT has some eastern interest where no one follows Va up here(maybe 1 or 2 alums?) that I've ever heard?

If UVa got good they would have followers up here, if only out of affection for Thomas Jefferson.

Reaction Score
If UVa got good they would have followers up here, if only out of affection for Thomas Jefferson.
PJ,remember when you asked why I was so tough on btstimpy? I hope that by now you'll see why I could feel that way? I expect that only from SU or UConn diehards but whats it matter to someone who thinks Va is Mt Olympus? Reeks of arrogance or jealousy when you keep harping on someone you think is "irrelevant"!?! I really try to lay off him and he has "lightened up" just a tiny bit but he can't seem to control himself here.

Reaction Score
Virginia is relevant some days and in some sports...just not football nor basketball.

The cavs routinely have a ranked baseball team and went to the CWS in 2009...the women's soccer team is a perennial Women's Soccer beast...This Year's Soccer Cup (final four) has Virginia, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and UCLA playing. Virginia plays UCLA and FSU plays VT for the winners to go to the finals.

The men's soccer team has six national championships (most recent 2009), the lacrosse team four (most recent 2006....6th NC including pre tournament era). The women have an NC in lacrosse. And the Cavs have a Track and Field NC.

But, in today's sport world...these "other sports" are invisible...and if invisible, maybe a case could be made for not being relevant.

Reaction Score
Virginia is relevant some days and in some sports...just not football nor basketball.

The cavs routinely have a ranked baseball team and went to the CWS in 2009...the women's soccer team is a perennial Women's Soccer beast...This Year's Soccer Cup (final four) has Virginia, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and UCLA playing. Virginia plays UCLA and FSU plays VT for the winners to go to the finals.

The men's soccer team has six national championships (most recent 2009), the lacrosse team four (most recent 2006....6th NC including pre tournament era). The women have an NC in lacrosse. And the Cavs have a Track and Field NC.

But, in today's sport world...these "other sports" are invisible...and if invisible, maybe a case could be made for not being relevant.

You can be more specific. Virginia has been ranked in the top 30 of the Athletic Director's Cup that determines the nation's best athletic departments annually based upon results in NCAA post season play for all 20 years that there has been a Director's Cup. The following are the only Athletic Departments to do so in alphabetical order:

Arizona
Arizona State
California
Florida
Georgia
Michigan
North Carolina
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
Virginia

These are the top Athletic Departments based upon consistent results in the US for the past 2 decades. In the past decade Virginia has won 8 Team NCAA championships in 5 different sports (Men's & Women's). Virginia has 20 overall. We don't have any in Team Track & Field like FSU, but have some in Cross Country and in individual track & field events. And as you mentioned both Soccer teams are doing very will in 2013. Will either win? Time will tell.

Virginia has a lot of work to do in football and basketball as you mention. There is no doubt about that. The men's basketball team has been to 2 final 4s and 4 Elite 8s, but no Championships. You can compare this to Virginia Tech (I'm tired of discussing Rutgers) who built a trophy case for their Football National Championship Trophy in 2000 after losing to Florida State in the National Championship. It remains empty, and Virginia Tech has no other NCAA championship. They are the only school in the ACC without any NCAA championships. But they do have a decent football team. Their Women's Soccer team is good this year. FSU stands in their way.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
PJ,remember when you asked why I was so tough on btstimpy? I hope that by now you'll see why I could feel that way? I expect that only from SU or UConn diehards but whats it matter to someone who thinks Va is Mt Olympus? Reeks of arrogance or jealousy when you keep harping on someone you think is "irrelevant"!?! I really try to lay off him and he has "lightened up" just a tiny bit but he can't seem to control himself here.

UVa is a great school, not much to brag about in football or basketball, but in academics and other sports and heritage and campus beauty they have a lot to be proud of. VTech had no fans at all outside Virginia before joining the Big East, that started the rise of their football program and earned them some eastern fans. If Virginia played eastern teams regularly they'd earn some fans, and if they got good like VTech they'd earn more. If UConn were in the ACC UVa would probably soon have more fans in New England than VTech.

Rutgers is a fine school too, under-rated academically, and not irrelevant athletically, which stimpy probably knows, but he is teasing you. Fans do that to fans of other schools all the time on message boards. I haven't seen anything malicious.

Reaction Score
UVa is a great school, not much to brag about in football or basketball, but in academics and other sports and heritage and campus beauty they have a lot to be proud of. VTech had no fans at all outside Virginia before joining the Big East, that started the rise of their football program and earned them some eastern fans. If Virginia played eastern teams regularly they'd earn some fans, and if they got good like VTech they'd earn more. If UConn were in the ACC UVa would probably soon have more fans in New England than VTech.

Rutgers is a fine school too, under-rated academically, and not irrelevant athletically, which stimpy probably knows, but he is teasing you. Fans do that to fans of other schools all the time on message boards. I haven't seen anything malicious.

Frank Beamer has put Virginia Tech on the map. For all that he's accomplished, he deserves to win a Championship. I don't know if he ever will, but he has a record that he can certainly be proud of at Virginia Tech. UVA's football team has some of the longest losing streaks in NCAA history. UVA has never been a football power. George Welsh had a great run of 14 seasons in a row with 7 or more wins. We would like to get back to that. With this current coaching staff though, it looks like we're headed to a period like we had from 1958-1961 where UVA lost 29 straight games. Columbia bailed us out in the 80s with an even worse streak. We just finished our bowl game this year, the Toilet Bowl, with Virginia Tech last Saturday. Both teams looked like crap.

Basketball is doing better, but is also not a power in the ACC. Tony Bennet has produced a perrenial NIT participant. It would be nice to get back to where we were in the 80s in basketball.

Reaction Score

Yes,I know and agree its a great academic school in a beautiful setting but I won't go much further with the praise because of a certain repetitive poster,Ha Ha.As for the major sports I haven't heard much from UVa since the Barber brothers in FB and Ralph Sampson in hoop's !!Heck,RU was in a final 4 in the mid 70s in hoop's and undefeated in FB too in "76" I believe?? They knocked off Tenn in Knoxville a few yrs later and scared Bama so they never came back that same yr I believe? Good win for you guys Sat pj I was happy for you guys!

Reaction Score

By the way,I'm pretty sure RU has played UVa a few times with moderate success over the last 20 yrs tho I know its nothing much to brag about and the BE had a winning record against the SEC I believe in the BCS era but alas its gone! I'm really sorta missing the BE right now !?!As for academic reputation the reaquisition of the Medical School and the B1G should regain RU their standing in a few yrs.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Virginia have not played in the last 30 years.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Virginia have not played in the last 30 years.

Men's basketball we did. UVA is 3-0. Wins in 1987, 2002, and 2003. I don't remember any of these games. But I looked them up in the record book.

In Football UVA leads the series 3-2 with the last game in 1981 pre-George Welsh when UVA was terrible, kinda like right now.

Reaction Score
Men's basketball we did. UVA is 3-0. Wins in 1987, 2002, and 2003. I don't remember any of these games. But I looked them up in the record book.

In Football UVA leads the series 3-2 with the last game in 1981 pre-George Welsh when UVA was terrible, kinda like right now.
Really if it was'nt for your irrational obsession with RU I always kinda related with UVa and liked them. Since I now associate Va with your post's it's soured their image in my mind! Similar sized state's with school's that consistently underachieve in the major sports with ton's of promise. RU's hoop's heyday were the 70s when I started following them closely when a neighbor of mine went there (Abdel Anderson) now a top prosecuter/probation officer I read in Union County,NJ or was recently? I was a fan of Frank Burn's a great guy and FB coach in the 70s too! I started watching UConn hoop's too in the 90s and enjoyed watching them grow into what they are today and anticipating the same hopes for UConn FB (with the right coach)!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers role is to soften up the Big Ten fan-base to accept whomever else Delaney wants in future expansion: at least they'll be better than Rutgers.......

Reaction Score
Rutgers role is to soften up the Big Ten fan-base to accept whomever else Delaney wants in future expansion: at least they'll be better than Rutgers.......
If they have ANY association with you thats VERY doubtful??I mean if you posted your caring/worrying about them pulling even further away from whoever you follow or you just would'nt let it bother u !!! Who do you follow?Another ACC troll like a certain other uninformed toothless redneck ?? Man, Jersey is loaded with talented and wealthy people and their spilling over into and making there marks in the southland too recently(see Fla/NC)!!I'm proud to have been reared in NJ and carry it with me where ever I may roam and believe me it runs deeper than simply a few sports programs or any 1 university! Jersey strong, Jersey history and Jersey pride!

Reaction Score
I actually stopped by tonight to offer my congratulations on the new head coach, but I can't resist weighing in on this.

Kennedy, I think, said in effect, "Some people look at what is and say, why? I look at what could be and say, why not?"

Rutgers is an outstanding academic institution. Now there job is to be an outstanding academic institution that also excels in athletics. A Northeast and B1G equivalent of the Stanford or USC in the PAC12, if you will. Tall order? Yes, but those are the expectations and they are doable. Never said easy, just doable. I think Pernetti had the vision; I hope Herman does. That's the vision. With the vision, resources and drive, it is doable. Unfortunately, too many average B1G fans don't see it (yet). At least in part, Delaney sees it--but I think Delaney may not see it all either. Sure, it's about TVs but that is not the end in itself; that is the means to the end. The end, the one that the leaders of the B1G see--beyond Delaney, if you will--is a dominant consortium of universities that uses athletics and the medium of television to draw the research dollars and the best students from all over the east and Midwest.

When UConn comes aboard, you'll be the eastern seaboard flagship school and the close-proximity rival. The UCLA, so to speak, of the B1G. (An apt comparison given both UConn's and UCLA's basketball histories.) Keep the vision. It will happen. That's why your ambitious academic program is so important. You may not need to actually be AAU but you'll need to be in the ballpark, so to speak.

Been checking the Syracuse forum since the Gopher's bowl was announced. They really hate both Rutgers and UConn. I mean a bordering on psychotic breakdown obsession. What up with that?

Anyway, congratulations on your new coach. Wishing you great success and I still believe we'll be seeing you soon in the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom