Rutgers Role in the Big Ten | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Rutgers Role in the Big Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All you say may be correct but I'm pretty sure the SC senator with the buggywhip did'nt realize the implications of his actions either back in the day?

[sarcasm]How dare you besmirch the good name of Mr John C Calhoun. Its pistols at 40 paces for you, sir![/sarcasm] ;)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is pretty far out there, but consider the league that ( not realistically, but couldve been due to independence).

BC, Pitt, WV, Rutgers, UConn, Penn State, VT, Syracuse, Florida State, Miami (10 teams round robin).

FBS programs + Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, PC, SH (16 teams, play every team once, three x two opponents like the old new big east).

Or, if you really wanted to go all in with football, grab Louisville and Cinci and drop the Catholics.

A man can dream right?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Interesting you brought that up since both UCONN's President and AD are also from B1G institutions.
I knew about Ms Herbst being from the B1G. What school did Manuel come from?
Susan Herbst probably has more connections to the ACC than the B1G. She's a Dukie first and foremost. And before becoming UConn's president she served as executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer at the University System of Georgia, where she led 15 university presidents and oversaw the academic missions for all 35 public universities in Georgia. Herbst also held a faculty appointment as a professor of public policy at Georgia Tech.

Herbst joined Northwestern University as an assistant professor in 1989 and remained there until 2003. She became Professor of Political Science and Communication Studies in 1999, and eventually chaired the Department of Political Science.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst probably has more connections to the ACC than the B1G. She's a Dukie first and foremost. And before becoming UConn's president she served as executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer at the University System of Georgia, where she led 15 university presidents and oversaw the academic missions for all 35 public universities in Georgia. Herbst also held a faculty appointment as a professor of public policy at Georgia Tech.

Herbst joined Northwestern University as an assistant professor in 1989 and remained there until 2003. She became Professor of Political Science and Communication Studies in 1999, and eventually chaired the Department of Political Science.

Not sure if it matters, but John T. Casteen III who was president of UCONN and UVA. I don't know if he is still connected to UVA or the ACC today.

Reaction Score

Thats two strikes against her already. ;)

Dang, I never knew she was that connected within the ACC, and, the Southeast. I hope it will be a positive for you with the ACC. I am sure it already is with Swofford.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it matters, but John T. Casteen III who was president of UCONN and UVA. I don't know if he is still connected to UVA or the ACC today.

I am not sure of that myself. That said...

...John Casteen is very well-respected within the ACC. Anything he says about UConn, or any other school, academics within the league will listen.

Reaction Score
Dang, I never knew she was that connected within the ACC, and, the Southeast. I hope it will be a positive for you with the ACC. I am sure it already is with Swofford.
Unfortunately, those connections were in place when Louisville was selected over UConn, so it doesn't make any difference.

Reaction Score
The problem with you is your poor memory. I already said Berkeley says it on its own website. So what are you arguing? That no one disputes that? Here, the ex Chancellor Bergdahl even admits he was told not to use the term flagship to describe Berkeley by his bosses at U. California: http://chancellor.berkeley.edu/chancellors/berdahl/speeches/future-of-flagship-universities

There's a lot out there about UCLA's Chancellor in particular pressuring Berkeley to drop use of the term. Bergdahl does a good job of describing the terms importance and usefulness, and he makes clear that Calfironia has multiple flagships.

Bergdahl argues here that more than one school in a state should have the flagship designation because he sees such schools as being set apart from others as they are research intensive.

The term flagship first popped up in the 1950s with the GI Bill. It didn't exist before then. U. Calfornia reorganized in the 1960's with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Master_Plan_for_Higher_Education. Under this plan, the university's revenues, tuition, budget, etc., was placed under the control of the President of the University of California system. Subsequently, the Berkeley Chancellors were told not to use the term flagship.

As usual buggsy, you're wrong.

Cal-Berkeley call itself the flagship university of the Cal system on it's website. Why the hell would the chancellor let them do that? Why don't any other Universities in California call themselves a flagship of the state?

Do a google search on Cal-Berkeley and Flagship university, and 1,160,000 results come up.....all calling UC Berkely the flagship university of the state of California.

The U.S Govt. calls Berkeley the Flagship U of the state of California.

You say there is no distinction in the Cal system on who is the flagship university, and that Berekeley is merely equal to the other universities and NOT the flagship....yet you would not be able to reference even one article showing UCLA or UCSD or any other university in the state of California referring to itself as the flagship of the state....or a link to any source calling any university BUT Berkeley the flagship university of California.

I can show you 1 million, 160 thousand references to UC Berkeley as the flagship, including the U.S Government's Higher education web site.

Even the Chancellor you quote is on record calling Berkeley the flagship university of California, in that very same article you linked. Hmmm. Why is that?

http://chancellor.berkeley.edu/chancellors/berdahl/speeches/future-of-flagship-universities

Not only are you wrong...as you usually are, but you are embarrassing yourself on this forum....as you usually do when you challenge me.

If there ever was an award for someone that enjoyed being proven wrong....it would be named after you.

I just love showing the rest of the people on this forum that despite how smart you think you are..in reality, you're really are a low-intelligence idiot, at least on this topic.

But for an giggles, please show me on link showing me that other schools in the stystem also consider themselves a flagship university.

I'll be waiting.

Reaction Score
Cal-Berkeley call itself the flagship university of the Cal system on it's website. Why the hell would the chancellor let them do that? Why don't any other Universities in California call themselves a flagship of the state?
You are very confused. The Chancellor is the Chancellor of Cal-Berkeley. The President of U. California told them not to do that. Read the link.

Do a google search on Cal-Berkeley and Flagship university, and 1,160,000 results come up.....all calling UC Berkely the flagship university of the state of California.

Read the link.

You say there is no distinction in the Cal system on who is the flagship university, and that Berekeley is merely equal to the other universities and NOT the flagship....yet you would not be able to reference even one article showing UCLA or UCSD or any other university in the state of California referring to itself as the flagship of the state....or a link to any source calling any university BUT Berkeley the flagship university of California.

I didn't say that. The Chancellor of U. California Berkeley said that. His name is Bergdahl. He said UCLA is a flaghsip too. Read the link.

Even the Chancellor you quote is on record calling Berkeley the flagship university of California, in that very same article you linked. Hmmm. Why is that?

The Chancellor makes a case for multiple flagships. Read the link.

Not only are you wrong...as you usually are, but you are embarrassing yourself on this forum....as you usually do when you challenge me.
You are wrong. My initial post said that Cal. Berkeley calls itself the flagship. Why you would spend all this time challenging something we agree on is beyond absurd, and a testament to your stupidity. What I added was that the President of U. California disagrees with that distinction, and beyond that I know that UCLA and San Diego contest it. Bergdahl, much to his credit, goes to great lengths in the speech I gave yuou to talk about the relatively recent origin of the term (relative to the history of land grant and state institutions) and he talks about how, for him, a flagship is essentially a R1 institution, and in his eyes, UCLA is a flagship. Read the link.

Try this next time: try responding to what people write instead of the voices in your head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is pretty far out there, but consider the league that ( not realistically, but couldve been due to independence).

BC, Pitt, WV, Rutgers, UConn, Penn State, VT, Syracuse, Florida State, Miami (10 teams round robin).

FBS programs + Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, PC, SH (16 teams, play every team once, three x two opponents like the old new big east).

Or, if you really wanted to go all in with football, grab Louisville and Cinci and drop the Catholics.

A man can dream right?

If UConn were to join the ACC, you'd have 7 of the names on that top line plus Louisville together. You'd only be missing WV, Rutgers, and Penn State. The 5 Catholics have a different agenda not being FBS football playing schools, so those don't really fit anyway.

Then you would add further representation in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia along with Notre Dame. That would be a hell of an east coast oriented conference. What a novel idea. Someone ought to consider that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Coincidentally I did a search Rutgers combined football and men's basketball big east championships and got 1 result and it only took 22 years.

Reaction Score
If UConn were to join the ACC, you'd have 7 of the names on that top line plus Louisville together. You'd only be missing WV, Rutgers, and Penn State. The 5 Catholics have a different agenda not being FBS football playing schools, so those don't really fit anyway.

Then you would add further representation in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia along with Notre Dame. That would be a hell of an east coast oriented conference. What a novel idea. Someone ought to consider that.
What that original poster's referring to, long lamented in Big East circles, is the Great Eastern Conference that Joe Paterno tried throughout the 80's to put together. At that time, the original Big East football schools (not Cincy or L'ville), Miami, Penn St, and FSU were all Independents, and Maryland supposedly was ready to jump. Also, that was before a ton of transplants started moving into the Carolinas and GA. Florida was really a culturally northeastern place. So, no bstimpy, it's a different concept than today's ACC. Would've been awesome had that happened.

Reaction Score
What that original poster's referring to, long lamented in Big East circles, is the Great Eastern Conference that Joe Paterno tried throughout the 80's to put together. At that time, the original Big East football schools (not Cincy or L'ville), Miami, Penn St, and FSU were all Independents, and Maryland supposedly was ready to jump. Also, that was before a ton of transplants started moving into the Carolinas and GA. Florida was really a culturally northeastern place. So, no bstimpy, it's a different concept than today's ACC. Would've been awesome had that happened.

I know what the OP was saying. I'm just suggesting that the current ACC is only a few pieces from that Paterno Eastern Conference (Penn State, UConn and WVU) along with additional southern atlantic presence in the hotbed recruiting areas for high school football talent and Notre Dame. I don't remember Florida schools as part of Joe Paterno's vision, but perhaps they were. Maryland leaving the ACC and being replaced by Louisville alters it some, but not much.

Reaction Score
I know what the OP was saying. I'm just suggesting that the current ACC is only a few pieces from that Paterno Eastern Conference (Penn State, UConn and WVU) along with additional southern atlantic presence in the hotbed recruiting areas for high school football talent and Notre Dame. I don't remember Florida schools as part of Joe Paterno's vision, but perhaps they were. Maryland leaving the ACC and being replaced by Louisville alters it some, but not much.
That Paterno Eastern Conference couldn't exist today. It's a bygone era when Penn State was a top 3 team, Doug Flutie was at BC, Syracuse was a top 10 program, Miami was winning titles, Eastern football meant something. Nobody was interested in a "south atlantic" presence. Doesn't matter anymore, just reminiscing about what could've been back then.

Reaction Score
That Paterno Eastern Conference couldn't exist today. It's a bygone era when Penn State was a top 3 team, Doug Flutie was at BC, Syracuse was a top 10 program, Miami was winning titles, Eastern football meant something. Nobody was interested in a "south atlantic" presence. Doesn't matter anymore, just reminiscing about what could've been back then.

I'm with you now. You want the Paterno Eastern Conference with Paterno here to lead it. Can't help you there.

Reaction Score
I'm with you now. You want the Paterno Eastern Conference with Paterno here to lead it. Can't help you there.
yup. i realize it's the same thing as pining for Yale, Notre Dame, Army, and Harvard to join together to dominate CFB. a black and white movie. or, in the case of 80's eastern football, analog TV with the old Atari-style scoreboard graphics.

Reaction Score
Well, it's quite clear that Rutgers was not added to the B1G for their stellar basketball program and attendance. For 2013, current average attendance is 3,700, which is a 45% drop from 2004/5 and is less than several Catholic HS football games I have been to in Jersey.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/2...ball__Marketing_madness_in_N_J_.html?page=all

Assuming that there is not a blizzard next week, there will be at least 4 at the UConn game at the RAC as I plan to go with a neighbor and fellow rec coach, who is a Rutgers alumni, along with our two oldest sons to the game.

Seton Hall is not looking good either. It a couple more years, they may need to give-up on the Rock (+18K for basketball, current attendance 6K) and go back to Walsh Gym (2,600 for basketball). Sad actually as I have caught 3 or 4 UConn games at the Rock and enjoyed the games there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And I just did a search on "UCONN too smalltime for the real conferences" and got 1.35 million results in 1 second.

https://www.google.com/#q=UCONN too smalltime for the real conferences

But we already knew that.
of course here are the results:
Bioscience Connecticut UConn Health Center News Conference
Bob Diaco Press Conference Quotes - UConn Huskies
Motivated UConn eager to compete behind Ollie's charge - USA Today
A Great First Impression - The UConn Blog

Among others but nothing that supports your premise.
#ironic

pj

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Rutgers will need to overcome financial hurdles to compete with top Big Ten schools
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...dles_to_compete_with_top_big_ten_schools.html

This is the final installment in a series focusing on various aspects of Rutgers' transition to the Big Ten based on interviews with these former coaches. The first entry focused on what the coaches' believe is Rutgers' primary advantage as it enters its new conference. The second entry focused on the physical challenges that Rutgers will encounter in its first season of Big Ten play. The third entry focused on the appeal of Rutgers – and the New York media market – to the Big Ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom