Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership? | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership?

Reaction Score
What if they beat NC State and Tennessee next Fall, would they watch UConn then?

I think that is what is needed. Wins against better teams...It has been ten years since the Huskies have beaten a P5 with a winning record.

Beating FIU, BC, Rice (all sub .500 last year) won't raise eyebrows...beat Tennessee and the headlines on major sports media will scream in bold large type.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that is what is needed. Wins against better teams...It has been ten years since the Huskies have beaten a P5 with a winning record.

Beating FIU, BC, Rice (all sub .500) last year won't raise eyebrows...beat Tennessee and the headlines on major sports media will scream in bold large type.
I don’t think it’s unrealistic to see UConn pull out some upset wins or very close losses, given how the whole world was seeing UConn getting blown out last Fall by Utah State and Fresno State. Remember that this is Mora’s 2nd season to turn the program around and he’s had two seasons to improve things. I mean if he can get to 6-7 his first year the bar has to be set higher in his 2nd year.

Reaction Score
Is there a path as a independent to make more media money… maybe producing our own content.. then selling it? Streaming?

UConn is already doing that with UConn+.

I don't know anything about the financial aspects of this, or where the Athletic Department is getting the money to do something like this.

It seems like it would be a selling point for the ACC Network.

Learfield was a co-owner of the Longhorn Network.

11/1/2022

UNIVERSITY TO LAUNCH UCONN+ STREAMING DIGITAL NETWORK
A FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS TO COMBINE LIVE AND ORIGINAL CONTENT, UCONN+ WILL PROVIDE FANS 24/7 ACCESS TO FEATURED CONTENT, LIVE EVENTS AND INSTITUTIONAL CONTENT IN COLLABORATION WITH LEARFIELD STUDIOS AND SIDEARM SPORTS

UConn is fully entering the cord-cutting era of live and on-demand digital video.

Coming later this month, fans and followers of UConn Athletics will have a new avenue for absorbing all things Huskies and the University of Connecticut: UConn+. The university's own sports-centric streaming platform will surface original and exclusive content to fans such as features, live events, profiles, coaches' shows, highlights and other on-demand content.

UConn+ will be widely available on streaming services such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Roku, and accessible via the UConn mobile app and uconnhuskies.com.

The new service, which will be a first-of-its-kind in college athletics to combine live and original content, is expected to launch in late November with additional features being rolled out after its release. Until that time, streaming content will continue to be available on uconnhuskies.com.

"UConn+ has the potential to elevate the visibility of UConn Athletics, and I'm grateful for our overarching relationship with LEARFIELD, in which its LEARFIELD Studios and SIDEARM Sports businesses can help us further expand our reach and promote the excellence of our student-athletes, coaches, and the University of Connecticut," said David Benedict, Director of Athletics. "UConn already boasts championship programs and provides top-quality experiences in state-of-the-art venues for fans and student-athletes alike. With UConn+, we're adding the capability to engage UConn Nation with exclusive feature content and live sports like never before. This platform will only strengthen our global brand and create more opportunities for success."

A New Approach to Video Content Delivery at UConn

Benedict's ambitious vision for a comprehensive streaming digital presence has been in the works for more than a year. While UConn will develop much of the programming internally – including coaches' shows, press conferences and other mini-features – LEARFIELD Studios has placed production staff on the ground in Storrs supported by a central production team.

"We're proud of our longtime relationship with UConn and recognize the tremendous added value that UConn+ will bring to Husky fans and to our corporate partners," said Tom Murphy, general manager for LEARFIELD's UConn Sports Properties, the university's athletics multimedia rightsholder. "The sponsors who look to align their brand with the UConn Huskies' brand soon will have a new platform to creatively connect with fans 24/7/365."

This dedicated crew will produce more in-depth feature programs, including content geared toward showcasing the various aspects of life as a student-athlete on campus like THE BREAKDOWN a five-part mini-series about 2022 UConn Football training camp, and THE STANDARD – a new mini-series that offers an inside look at UConn women's basketball. A 24/7 real-time programming stream of content is also planned for possible development.

"UConn+ can be a game changer for the university," said Tysen Kendig, UConn's Vice President for Communications who began exploration of a digital sports network for UConn Athletics in 2021. "Content is unquestionably king, and our audiences increasingly have a thirst for more video, more features, and more multimodal, on-demand ways to consume it. UConn+ is changing the way we produce content in-house, and the model we've developed in partnership with LEARFIELD and SIDEARM leverages their considerable assets and expertise to give UConn Nation unprecedented content and access to Husky athletics and the greater university."

"Few other major universities in the country competing at the highest level of Division I athletics own the rights and have the wherewithal to produce and deliver a majority of its own live sports content," he added. "While this landscape is constantly shifting, we are now better positioned to meet the demands of our audiences and have the means to make most of our home Olympic sports and related content across all of our 20 programs directly available to more people than ever before."

Growth Potential Across the University

UConn students will directly benefit from this endeavor through increased experiential learning opportunities. UConn Athletics and the university's Digital Media and Design (DMD) program in the School of Fine Arts partnered last fall to create an athletics creative agency. The agency, developed with UConn+ in mind, will give students a chance to earn academic credit under faculty supervision in documentary film production, motion graphic design, and other areas that geared toward enhancing program options.

"We were thrilled to help provide a solution for UConn athletics when they approached us about this endeavor," said Anne D'Alleva, UConn's interim provost and dean of the School of Fine Arts. "Our DMD students have been highly sought for years by the likes of NBC Sports, ESPN, and other mainstream media outlets because of the exceptionally high quality of our digital media academic program. UConn+ and this new creative agency will provide additional real-world experience right here on campus, and has generated great excitement among our students and faculty – all of whom enthusiastically bleed blue."

Beyond athletics, UConn+ also will feature non-sports programs. Initial programming concepts include a research magazine, a talk-show podcast about UConn people and programs, and health promotion spots. An interview series hosted by President Radenka Maric, "Worth Repeating," is already in production, and includes head football coach Jim Mora as the first guest. The multimedia production team in University Communications, with staff in Storrs and Farmington, is fully integrated as part of UConn+, and will be responsible for providing this additional menu of content.

"Athletics is not just a tremendous point of pride for our community, it's a front porch that helps bring people into the front door of this amazing university," said Kendig. "UConn+ gives us another vehicle for shining a light on the academic and research champions here that positively impact Connecticut and the human condition. The ideas are limitless, and we believe this endeavor has great potential to grow over time."

Reaction Score

Beating FIU, BC, Rice (all sub .500 last year) won't raise eyebrows...beat Tennessee and the headlines on major sports media will scream in bold large type.
In Mora we trust!

Reaction Score
Saw this posted on TechSideline:

FSU athletic director Michael Alford speaks (again)​

FSU athletic director Michael Alford is not top-toeing around a soon to be untenable economic situation: “We understand, especially at Florida State and a couple of other institutions, really understand the commitment of that gap that’s coming. It’s a freight train. That’s barreling down the tracks... I’m very involved and looking at solutions. Because I can’t sit here. And for five years, it’d be 30 million behind every year. It’s not a one-year thing. And that makes a big difference, especially when you start compounding that year after year after year.” Alford wouldn’t say if he’s been contacted by other conferences, but he did say, without the ACC making changes, that gap will put a large burden on the fundraising arms of FSU. Alford believes falling behind in revenue could have Florida State behind the eight ball in competing for coaches, upgrading facilities and essentially everything else the “Power 2” conference would have to offer. Something else he thinks will force that gap to show up is the university’s reputation and dedication to competing in every sport. “I need to protect Florida State University and make sure that we’re doing everything we can to make sure that we’re able to compete nationally," Alford said. "And I’m not talking just football."

Reaction Score

FSU athletic director Michael Alford is not top-toeing around a soon to be untenable economic situation: “We understand, especially at Florida State and a couple of other institutions, really understand the commitment of that gap that’s coming. It’s a freight train. That’s barreling down the tracks... I’m very involved and looking at solutions. Because I can’t sit here. And for five years, it’d be 30 million behind every year. It’s not a one-year thing. And that makes a big difference, especially when you start compounding that year after year after year.” Alford wouldn’t say if he’s been contacted by other conferences, but he did say, without the ACC making changes, that gap will put a large burden on the fundraising arms of FSU. Alford believes falling behind in revenue could have Florida State behind the eight ball in competing for coaches, upgrading facilities and essentially everything else the “Power 2” conference would have to offer. Something else he thinks will force that gap to show up is the university’s reputation and dedication to competing in every sport. “I need to protect Florida State University and make sure that we’re doing everything we can to make sure that we’re able to compete nationally," Alford said. "And I’m not talking just football."

I’ll take the b12 when we have a chance. ACC is dead.

Reaction Score

Good poker player. Who is FSU?

Reaction Score

Man seriously, fluck Florida State. They supposedly lobbied for Lousiville over us into the ACC, now he wants people to feel bad that your falling behind the arms race? Cry us UConn fans a damn river. Them the breaks fool. Find a way to compete with what you have.

Reaction Score
I’ll take the b12 when we have a chance. ACC is dead.
B12 is unrealistic. We’re not going to Oklahoma twice a year to lose by 60 and have them come up twice and beat us by 50. They’re football first even if they’re insanely good at basketball.

Reaction Score
Maybe you haven't heard. Oklahoma is leaving the Big 12.
Ok sorry I guess it’ll be OSU and TCU instead. Does it really make a difference? The quality and investment in those football programs is orders of magnitude higher than ours. At least in the ACC we can get wins. Who exactly is our football team beating in B12 conference play? MAYBE Houston?

Reaction Score
Do those who want to go to the B12 really think we can get strong FB rivalries with Cincinatti or West Virginia, the closest campuses to Storrs. I don't think most people in Connecticut would be that interested in watching those games at the Rent. And the other teams in the B12 are even of less interest, for the most part. Many ACC teams are considered UConn rivals now. I have confidence that UConn can be competitive with at least a third of the teams in either conference, given the direction of UConn FB under Mora. UConn also has more in common culturally with the ACC teams than the B12 or even the B10.

Reaction Score
Do those who want to go to the B12 really think we can get strong FB rivalries with Cincinatti or West Virginia, the closest campuses to Storrs. I don't think most people in Connecticut would be that interested in watching those games at the Rent. And the other teams in the B12 are even of less interest, for the most part. Many ACC teams are considered UConn rivals now. I have confidence that UConn can be competitive with at least a third of the teams in either conference, given the direction of UConn FB under Mora. UConn also has more in common culturally with the ACC teams than the B12 or even the B10.
We have common culture with a bunch of southern schools?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Could be, regarding sports. I haven't lived in CT for 25 years, but awhile back when I was visiting a friend we went to a bar in Shelton to watch MNF. Jets vs Broncos. The most popular jersey being worn wasn't green. It was all shades of Tim Tebow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

Reaction Score
B12 is unrealistic. We’re not going to Oklahoma twice a year to lose by 60 and have them come up twice and beat us by 50. They’re football first even if they’re insanely good at basketball.

Breaking news: Oklahoma moving to SEC. In football, in league away is every other year. In bball no one, and I mean no one, will be beating us like that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

He said "more." There's not only a shared history with SU, BC, Pitt, Louisville, VT and Miami, but we're a basketball school, as are Duke, UNC, Wake and UVA.

Reaction Score
Breaking news: Oklahoma moving to SEC. In football, in league away is every other year. In bball no one, and I mean no one, will be beating us like that.
Ok sorry I should have said OSU AND TCU instead of OSU and OU. Literally doesn’t make a difference. You’re splitting hairs. We’d lose to every single one of those teams. You want to play WVU but get stomped on by their little brother Marshall? And that would probably one of our easier games. One 6-7 season y’all think we should go down to Texas and play. It’s absurd. Stay SOMEWHAT regional with the ACC and opponents SOMEWHAT on our level. Oh and collect $25M a year from it.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe we can establish a strong rivalry with any of the current B12 teams. But the ACC is going to dissolve in the near future, leaving several of its members (potential UConn rivals) available to be scooped up by the B12. If UConn chooses ACC over B12, we may get left out again once the ACC disappears. If we play the long game, we can land in a good conference and still get our rivalry games with current ACC teams

Reaction Score
Oh and collect $25M a year from it.

yes, that about sums it up. Don’t forget the tourney credits Too.

UConn has succeeded at every sport in which it has invested. I’ll say it again. UConn has succeeded at every sport in which it has invested. At one time we were a top 40/50 football program. In a p3 league we can improve recruiting, and we will get back to 25+ in season tickets. A regular 500 team? Probably, but we will surprise, guaranteed.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe we can establish a strong rivalry with any of the current B12 teams. But the ACC is going to dissolve in the near future, leaving several of its members (potential UConn rivals) available to be scooped up by the B12. If UConn chooses ACC over B12, we may get left out again once the ACC disappears. If we play the long game, we can land in a good conference and still get our rivalry games with current ACC teams
I don’t disagree that of the p5 the ACC is in the worst position. Maybe tied with the Pac12 or a little worse. But do you really see the other 3 offering us a spot given the state of our football program?

I love UConn football, I’m not trying to be out here trashing us but I do want to be realistic about expectations.

Reaction Score
Everyone has been talking about… we need more money since 2012… but we’ve done pretty well…just need good coaches… the big 10 has all this money… and what have they done… they suck in basketball and football will never be as good as the southern schools

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst made the point about a decade ago. Besides, Pitt, Syracuse and BC, the "southern" -- actually mostly mid-Atlantic-- ACC members are largely undergraduate focused universities, many of which have strong BB programs and okay football teams. They are not football focused like the SEC. They are also often academically strong universities (Louisville is an exception). But they are not as research-focused as the B10. Many have diverse student bodies with many from affluent households, and many legacy students (parents went to same school), as well as students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom