Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership?

Reaction Score
It’s possible but becoming a member of the prestigious AAU would be a huge boost. I’m sensing big changes coming
I too would like UConn in the AAU but membership involves a lot that is beyond UConn's control. Florida State is working to get into the AAU as well, as are many other universities. So far, UConn is not an academic research powerhouse though could become one.

Reaction Score
It’s possible but becoming a member of the prestigious AAU would be a huge boost. I’m sensing big changes coming
Just curious, do you mean that you’re sensing that UConn will become a member of the AAU? What makes you sense big changes are coming, whether it be AAU or not?

Reaction Score
Just asking this question. Would the B1G give UConn a look because of two stellar basketball programs, Jim Mora and his football team, and because of UConn’s support of its Ice Hockey program, the new arena, etc. The B1G also gets it hooks into the NYC metro area and the rest of the Northeast.
That would be the hope. If Rutgers can go to big 10, anyone can.

Issue is UConn doesn’t materially move the needle money wise. So, this would have to be a reason that isn’t money related (they like basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer etc).

When was last time a conference made a move that wasn’t solely about money?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I too would like UConn in the AAU but membership involves a lot that is beyond UConn's control. Florida State is working to get into the AAU as well, as are many other universities. So far, UConn is not an academic research powerhouse though could become one.
UConn has a Carnegie R1 rating ranking it as a top research institution.

Reaction Score
Just curious, do you mean that you’re sensing that UConn will become a member of the AAU? What makes you sense big changes are coming, whether it be AAU or not?
Not sensing AAU in the near future. I’m expecting major upheaval because the Big12, Pac12 & BE are all in for new TV contracts and the media dictates conference membership and changes. AD Dave Benedict had been recently quoted as he expects UConn to do what’s best for the school & Coach Mora has been telling recruits we’re moving up in football a conference. Just putting all the little pieces tells me change us coming for us. Most exciting tidbit is that the new Big12 commissioner is big on basketball so we may fit in there somehow as I’ve seen on Twitter. I love the BE but we’re talking huge money for the school. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score

Issue is UConn doesn’t materially move the needle money wise. So, this would have to be a reason that isn’t money related (they like basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer etc).

I think we bring the New England market and secure NYC and fit the eastern footprint. Anything is possible with 3 major conferences in tv negotiations.

Reaction Score
Not sensing AAU in the near future. I’m expecting major upheaval because the Big12, Pac12 & BE are all in for new TV contracts and the media dictates conference membership and changes. AD Dave Benedict had been recently quoted as he expects UConn to do what’s best for the school & Coach Mora has been telling recruits we’re moving up in football a conference. Just putting all the little pieces tells me change us coming for us. Most exciting tidbit is that the new Big12 commissioner is big on basketball so we may fit in there somehow as I’ve seen on Twitter. I love the BE but we’re talking huge money for the school. Go Huskies!!
If Mora is telling recruits that UConn football will be moving into a conference then there must be something in the works. Only negative is paying the Big East for leaving.

Reaction Score
If Mora is telling recruits that UConn football will be moving into a conference then there must be something in the works. Only negative is paying the Big East for leaving.
And leaving a conference that is a better fit…right now we are selling out both venues… our fan base is excited every big east game… at least 3 schools are a bus ride a way…right now New York City is hopping.. with fans excitement though the roof …Hurley is out recruiting 99% of the schools…money is the only positive of moving out of the big east.. if we do… i hope it’s worth it

Reaction Score
And leaving a conference that is a better fit…right now we are selling out both venues… our fan base is excited every big east game… at least 3 schools are a bus ride a way…right now New York City is hopping.. with fans excitement though the roof …Hurley is out recruiting 99% of the schools…money is the only positive of moving out of the big east.. if we do… i hope it’s worth it
UConn doesn't fit in the current Big East institution-wise.

Reaction Score
… Coach Mora has been telling recruits we’re moving up in football a conference.
If Mora is telling recruits that UConn football will be moving into a conference then there must be something in the works.

Just for clarity… this is what Coach Mora said - as related by a 2023 Commit:

-> Jackson Harper, one of UConn’s recruit in the 2023 class, said Mora told him he wants UConn to join a power five conference in the future.

“First of all, he explained that he has a goal of joining the ACC within the next few years,”Harper said, via Mike Anthony of CT Insider. “Obviously, they have to have a few respectable seasons for the ACC to really take them seriously. But he also talked about how there are no professional teams in Connecticut, so if you can just get the attention and respect of everyone in Connecticut, we will have a good fan base.” <-

CL82

Reaction Score

Yeah, I don’t disagree, but I think you have to define what “materially moving the needle” means. The big 10 gets something like it $75 million per school in media rights and BTN distributions. For a school to “materially move the needle” they would have to bring in enough money to cover their share, $75 million, plus enough money so that every other school is enriched enough to make inviting them, worthwhile. I don’t know what that number is, but it certainly is something north of $100 million a year. That is an extraordinarily difficult row to hoe.

I do think that UConn is a good fit in a lot of ways in that we are a land grant university, in a populous area, that is academically a good school, with a strong research tradition, that plays a lot of sports, and plays them well, in an area from in a lot of big 10 alumni reside, with an extraordinary tradition in men’s basketball, and in unequaled tradition in women’s basketball. So, there is money to be had, potentially by adding UConn, a school with a good fanbase, that is passionate about the team, and with something like 11,000,000 to 14,000,000 people within 100 miles of campus.

That’s a lot, but, probably falls significantly short of the hundred million dollars plus, per year, that we would need to be able to bring in to make us a viable candidate. I suppose there is some slim hope that at some point the big 10 might need to expand and be looking for “partial share members”. There, I think the math might work for us.

Thee bottom line is, we are unlikely to go to either the Big Ten, or the SEC, but that doesn’t mean we would be an attractive in a “best of the rest” conference like the post 2036 ACC.

Reaction Score
UConn has a Carnegie R1 rating ranking it as a top research institution.
There are 146 institutions that are classified as Carnegie R1: Doctoral Universities. Compare to AAU member universities—63 in the United States and two in Canada. Even someone who only finished third grade can see there are lot more R1 than AAU members. AAU is very selective.

Reaction Score
Ah I gotcha. I wasn’t sure if you were alluding to a potential inside scoop. But yes, I agree, things are about to get real exciting. Buckle your seatbelts, the ride hasn’t even begun. Let’s go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Both Syracuse and Nebraska booted from AAU in recent years. UConn should do everything it can to gain membership for academic and athletic reasons
Yep-thanks for the encouragement.

Reaction Score
True, but if we go from a max $10Mil in a new BE media cut to $70Mil in the Big12 as an example then sign me up. Only the strong survive.

Reaction Score
Ah I gotcha. I wasn’t sure if you were alluding to a potential inside scoop. But yes, I agree, things are about to get real exciting. Buckle your seatbelts, the ride hasn’t even begun. Let’s go Huskies!
Yep, and throw in ACC changed as well.

Reaction Score
I love the BE. As good as it gets. We are the envy of every conference watching our tournament in MSG. The buzz in the city is tremendous. The issue is finding a place for football. The scenario I like the most is based on the fact that the new Big12 commissioner loves basketball and wants to expand with that in mind. Add us, Villanova, Gonzaga & St Mary’s plus what may become available from the PAC12 and at the least commit to giving us partial football inclusion with 5-6 games. Depending on any football departures from the ACC maybe get Duke, BC, Pitt & Syracuse :)

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't fit in the current Big East institution-wise.
Correct. It’s just based on basketball centric traditional rivalries for the most part.

CL82

Reaction Score
There are 146 institutions that are classified as Carnegie R1: Doctoral Universities. Compare to AAU member universities—63 in the United States and two in Canada. Even someone who only finished third grade can see there are lot more R1 than AAU members. AAU is very selective.
Wow, why weren’t you able to go back to school after third grade?

CL82

Reaction Score
True, but if we go from a max $10Mil in a new BE media cut to $70Mil in the Big12 as an example then sign me up. Only the strong survive.
The big 12 isn’t going to earn anywhere close to 70, million per school.

And most people don’t believe that the Big East will be able to earn $10 million per school in their next contract. Probably a few million per school less than that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Timing is everything. If we were to leave after 2026 the exit see drops from $30 million-$15 million. I believe in 2029 or later it drops again to $10 million, but it’s been a while since I’ve looked at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom