OT: - Roy Williams retires | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Williams retires

Reaction Score
I'm still on the fence if this is real or not.

Assuming it's real I wonder if they'll stay in the family. After Dean they've had 3 coaches. All in the family. 2 of them didn't work out. I'd look beyond "the family" if I were them.
Doherty didn’t work out. Guthrie was never a long term replacement but he did take them to the championship game.

Reaction Score
it's like Michigan wanting a Michigan guy to coach football. Good luck.
You do realize that Juwan Howard is coaching Michigan basketball right now and was a hair from the FF?

I think that recent success plus Ewing & others will cause them to at least speak with every prominent alumnus. There's a budding case that an NBA star surrounded by good assistants is a viable formula.
Kenny Smith would be interesting!
Stackhouse as others have said will get a look.
Isn't Rasheed coaching somewhere now?
Vince Carter (figurehead)?
Brendan Haywood (more of a tv star than NBA)?
I think Kenny Smith is the cutoff, Jordan vintage guys are out; no Worthy, Sam Perkins, and of course no retread coaches like George Karl or Billy Cunningham or Mitch Kupchak but maybe Larry Brown ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
All of the local news stations and statewide cable network are covering this retirement press conference live.... as well as all of the sports talk radio stations. Its amazing and sickening how much the state of north carolina cares so much about the flagship university. The last time they did something like this was back in 1997 when Dean Smith retired. I'd bet my last dollar they won't do this when the Duke Coach retires.
That's OK, ESPN will go into mourning and will have 24 hour coverage for about a week.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Juwan Howard is coaching Michigan basketball right now and was a hair from the FF?

I think that recent success plus Ewing & others will cause them to at least speak with every prominent alumnus. There's a budding case that an NBA star surrounded by good assistants is a viable formula.
I think Kenny Smith is the cutoff, Jordan vintage guys are out; no Worthy, Sam Perkins, and of course no retread coaches like George Karl or Billy Cunningham or Mitch Kupchak but maybe Larry Brown ;)
Juwan Howard was a Michigan football player?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

He said Michigan wanting a Michigan guy for FOOTBALL, not basketball.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes, they are sticking with Harbaugh (who looked like a great hire) only because he's a Michigan Man.

Reaction Score
Yes, they are sticking with Harbaugh (who looked like a great hire) only because he's a Michigan Man.
I feel like Habraugh treats Michigan like his pet project and not a college football program. The dude just will not change or get with the times. It's like he uses the team as a platform to showcase how he thinks football should be played. If he'd just get out of his own way and adjust like his brother did, I really think he could turn it around.

Reaction Score
"I hear KO is interviewing for the UNC job" - Someone on the Boneyard, on April Fools

Reaction Score
navery12:

Are you guys not aware that we are talking about UNC's basketball coach?
If so, you should be capable of drawing a parallel at another major university between its two biggest sports.
So for example, if this is Michigan's hiring policy for all sports then its batting at least .500 regardless of what you think of Harbaugh.

To be extremely literal, my point is maybe the original poster should have picked a different school that unsuccessfully hired a former player to no avail as a comp for what not to do regarding UNC basketball. Because the University of Michigan did this exact thing and was successful in basketball. So no need to make an analogy comparing a round ball to an oblong ball at a school with principal colors of blue & maize when you can compare basketballs to basketballs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
navery12:

Are you guys not aware that we are talking about UNC's basketball coach?
If so, you should be capable of drawing a parallel at another major university between its two biggest sports.
So for example, if this is Michigan's hiring policy for all sports then its batting at least .500 regardless of what you think of Harbaugh.

To be extremely literal, my point is maybe the original poster should have picked a different school that unsuccessfully hired a former player to no avail as a comp for what not to do regarding UNC basketball. Because the University of Michigan did this exact thing and was successful in basketball. So no need to make an analogy comparing a round ball to an oblong ball at a school with principal colors of blue & maize when you can compare basketballs to basketballs.
Check in with Howard in a few years, this year is almost meaningless.

Reaction Score
All of the local news stations and statewide cable network are covering this retirement press conference live.... as well as all of the sports talk radio stations. Its amazing and sickening how much the state of north carolina cares so much about the flagship university. The last time they did something like this was back in 1997 when Dean Smith retired. I'd bet my last dollar they won't do this when the Duke Coach retires.

I'm far away from retirement age :rolleyes: ;):p
You didn't buy a Powerball ticket?:eek:

Reaction Score
Jay Wright is another obvious hire.......would be terrible for the conference though

I've been told by someone who knows him that he would never leave Nova for another college job. Only job he would entertain leaving for is the perfect NBA job but that's highly unlikely. Nova lifer.

Yeah, you can add Mark Few to the following:

Unless it comes down to money, both of these coaches are in better positions (Villanova, Gonzaga) than what UNC can offer. This is a different age. Blue bloods are turning into one-and-done factories.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you can add Mark Few to the following:

Unless it comes down to money, both of these coaches are in better positions (Villanova, Gonzaga) than what UNC can offer. This is a different age. Blue bloods are turning into one-and-done factories.
Less pressure coaching for a Nova and for a Gonzaga. Players stay longer and can be developed over 3 or 4 years for the most part.

Very uncertain for a UNC as to the one and done, and the need to keep recruiting those type of players.

This year, I am particularly impressed with the Gonzaga defense. Seemed like in past years, they were an offensive machine without a great defensive presence.

Nova too impressed me with their defensive prowess. Too bad Gillespie went down. I saw only part of the game and left when they were tied early in the second half. With Gillespie, Nova might have been able to have won the game.

Reaction Score
Less pressure coaching for a Nova and for a Gonzaga. Players stay longer and can be developed over 3 or 4 years for the most part.

Very uncertain for a UNC as to the one and done, and the need to keep recruiting those type of players.

This year, I am particularly impressed with the Gonzaga defense. Seemed like in past years, they were an offensive machine without a great defensive presence.

Nova too impressed me with their defensive prowess. Too bad Gillespie went down. I saw only part of the game and left when they were tied early in the second half. With Gillespie, Nova might have been able to have won the game.

Absolutely agreed re: Gillespie and what might’ve been.

Few and Wright are already in the coaching pantheon, or rather, Few will be once his team wins it all Monday evening. There’s just too much to lose for both of them to opt out of their current situations.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Why would Hubert Davis leave a lucrative media job if there wasn't a tacit agreement that he would be next? I've got him at even money. They are not going outside the family for a new coach.

Reaction Score
He's worth well over a billion dollars and has a lot better things to do than recruit and deal with 18 year olds.
Roy? Over a billion dollars? How is that possible? I'm sure he's comfortable but I hardly think he's worth anything near that. If he is I want to know his investment secrets!

Edit: Oh we were talking about MJ! OK reading comprehension isn't my strong point! ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Over a billion dollars? How is that possible? I'm sure he's comfortable but I hardly think he's worth anything near that. If he is I want to know his investment secrets!
Endorsements, I assume.

1617326400434.png

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Over a billion dollars? How is that possible? I'm sure he's comfortable but I hardly think he's worth anything near that. If he is I want to know his investment secrets!

Man, I hope you're talking about Roy and not MJ. And his investment secret is himself.

Reaction Score
Why would Hubert Davis leave a lucrative media job if there wasn't a tacit agreement that he would be next? I've got him at even money. They are not going outside the family for a new coach.
Well the internal family options aren't that great. All have lot of risks. Why limit yourself if you don't have sure fire candidates? Look at last time. Roy Williams was family but he had a lot of success at another blue blood. You knew what you were getting and were pretty sure he would succeed. Is there anyone in the family as good a candidate right now as that?

Reaction Score
Doherty didn’t work out. Guthrie was never a long term replacement but he did take them to the championship game.
Not trying to start a KO slam session because I liked KO, but do you think KO worked out? He was fired before the end of his first legit contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom