OT: - Roy Williams retires | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Williams retires

Reaction Score
I could see Scott Drew going for it if they lose this weekend. A lot of his guys are seniors or NBA bound.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I dont know if he could coach, but hed definitely be able to recruit.

His eye for talent is second to none

images

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He muffed it when he coached there before. 170-180 career coaching record. Why would they hire him?

The names above are better coaches who have maximized their teams' potential. Pitino is always a risky pick. Oats, Stevens, Beard, Donovan, Jay Wright. All winning coaches with a good track record.

That was the most obvious joke I've ever seen on this board

Reaction Score
If this job had came open a couple years earlier Stackhouse probably would have been at the top of the list based on what he was showing as a coach in the GLeague. Wish he hadn't taken that dead end Vandy job but I get why he took it given the circumstances.

Reaction Score
If they're smart they'll look outside the "family." Dean Smith wasn't a Carolina guy
Smith was not an alumnus, but was adopted in the Chapel Hill family as a UNC assistant for several seasons before taking the reins. Inconveniently, another "outside the family" guy Bill Guthridge is no longer available.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He was kidding.
I was, but in fairness the guy brought in the team that won a title under Roy, and left some decent players at SMU for Larry Brown. Seems weird he never got a shot anywhere else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He was kidding.

I used to play pool against him quite a bit, when he was an assistant to Roy. He sure flopped at UNC.

I know nobody here likes Roy, but I enjoyed his teams when I was at KU, and he let our law school team play Washburn U on the floor of AFH, which was pretty cool.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wes Miller seems like the favorite amongst CBB media.

As I noted a few pages back, lots of upside to that choice. He flops, you grab whoever the big name is. He shows he has what it takes and you are set for 20-30 years.

Reaction Score
I read that one of the reasons he is retiring is that he does not like the direction college basketball is going. Does he mean things like requiring players take real classes?
we all have our crosses to bear. Roy's is academic requirements.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Win or lose the NC, have you heard whether Suggs will stay after this year?
I don't think he's really tipped his hand, but GU fans largely are expecting he'll be gone. Now they're worrying that Timme is playing his way into the draft.

Reaction Score
I like Kelvin Sampson there for a couple bridge years.
If he was 5 years younger I think this actually happens and his son stays and gets the Houston job. As it is I think he stays until it's over.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have the ideal solution to make the ACC relevant again: Coach K!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All of the local news stations and statewide cable network are covering this retirement press conference live.... as well as all of the sports talk radio stations. Its amazing and sickening how much the state of north carolina cares so much about the flagship university. The last time they did something like this was back in 1997 when Dean Smith retired. I'd bet my last dollar they won't do this when the Duke Coach retires.

Your turn can't be too far down the line...:rolleyes:

I'm far away from retirement age :rolleyes: ;):p

Reaction Score
I remember Roy being a coaching star in Kansas. Made a basketball team out of that hick town University.

Reaction Score
He was still at UNC? :oops:

And he's "only" worth an estimated 12M according to most stories you look up. Probably gave most of it away to family no way he can only be worth 12M with all he's made over the years. Unless he had people do his finances like the teachers did his kids tests and classes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom