OT: - Roy Williams retires | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Williams retires

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be an ironic twist of fate if they brought in a Dookie like Wojo in
It would be a great gig for Jay Wright but he may be too tied to Nova
Cronin might get a call, if Huggins was younger he would be a good fit and Steve Pikiell is interesting to ponder
I'm guessing there will be great pressure from a diversity stand point and there are many qualified to fit the bill - Kenny Smith, Danny Manning, Stackhouse, K. Sampson, Leonard Hamilton

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I put that on the coaching philosophy--Roy largely recruited players he knew would bounce after a year or 2, he didn't target kids he thought would stick around. You look at the 2 best teams this year, Gonzaga and Baylor, and they're loaded with upperclassmen aside from Suggs, and even Suggs had to basically pitch himself to Mark Few instead of Few aggressively recruiting Suggs.

that's actually largely not true; Roy, in fact, has been somewhat slow to adjust to the "one and done" philosophy that UK and Duke have been dominating for years. in fact, I'd argue that Roy hasn't been all that successful with the one and done's he's gotten (see Anthony, Cole). UNC's last championship (2016-2017) the Heels started two seniors and three juniors; only one of those starters was a NBA draft pick.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be an ironic twist of fate if they brought in a Dookie like Wojo in
It would be a great gig for Jay Wright but he may be too tied to Nova
Cronin might get a call, if Huggins was younger he would be a good fit and Steve Pikiell is interesting to ponder
I'm guessing there will be great pressure from a diversity stand point and there are many qualified to fit the bill - Kenny Smith, Danny Manning, Stackhouse, K. Sampson, Leonard Hamilton
Both Sampson and Hamilton have impressive win loss records. If past mistakes are not held against him, I would take Sampson because he is a younger man than Hamilton and likely to coach for more years, and I think his in-game coaching is better than Hamilton's. Both recruit well, but UNC seems to favor long haul coaches and Sampson's age gives him a leg up.

If diversity is not a factor, most of the other above coaches are fine. Wright has a legacy at Nova and probably wants to preserve it and build upon it. Cronin would like to build his resume at UCLA before moving on. Pikiell is just starting to build his resume. Huggins is too old.

Smith, Manning and Stackhouse do not have the coaching resume and results of the others.

Just my take. Others may differ.

Reaction Score
I dont know if he could coach, but hed definitely be able to recruit.
1617331609745.png

Reaction Score
Why would Hubert Davis leave a lucrative media job if there wasn't a tacit agreement that he would be next? I've got him at even money. They are not going outside the family for a new coach.
Bubba indicated it's another head coach so put your money away

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Is Chris Mack a possibility here?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
that's actually largely not true; Roy, in fact, has been somewhat slow to adjust to the "one and done" philosophy that UK and Duke have been dominating for years. in fact, I'd argue that Roy hasn't been all that successful with the one and done's he's gotten (see Anthony, Cole). UNC's last championship (2016-2017) the Heels started two seniors and three juniors; only one of those starters was a NBA draft pick.

That's a valid point. He's had a lot of players surprisingly stay all 4 years like Marcus Page, Justin Jackson, Joel Berry, and Theo Pinson. All were highly touted and when he recruited them it likely wasn't expected that they'd stay 3 or 4 years in college. He's not at all at the one and done level of frequency that Duke/UK have implemented (which is showing diminishing returns), but he's more entrenched in that model than programs like Villanova/Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Didn't Sylvia Hatchell (NC's WCBB coach) take the fall for the "fake courses for credit" scandal a few years' back? It seemed odd (or was it?) that men's basketball escaped relatively unscathed, or at least that was my impression.

Reaction Score
Who gets the gig?
I am a UNC Greensboro alum, and I have somewhat of a inside know of what's up in the state of North Carolinas basketball scene.

Many think that current UNCG coach, former UNC player and national champion Wes Miller will be the next guy to coach at UNC.

He has built UNCG into a 20+ win a season program and they have made the NCAAs 2 out of the last 4 years. with the other 2 being very close to making it.

That being said, UNC is very much a win now program and will probably want a high profile coach/hire. The last time they kept it in the family, Doherty, things didn't go so well. Wes Miller is relatively young and somewhat inexperienced...

1617336935566.png

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Didn't Sylvia Hatchell (NC's WCBB coach) take the fall for the "fake courses for credit" scandal a few years' back? It seemed odd (or was it?) that men's basketball escaped relatively unscathed, or at least that was my impression.
I think it was so big, the options were basically nuke the whole school, or just let it pass.

Reaction Score
I think it was so big, the options were basically nuke the whole school, or just let it pass.
No, the NCAA aided and abetted NC in conning their way out with a ridiculous rationalization of a long standing practice of providing credits to athletes for non-courses. I know first hand because a highly rated football recruit who was dating my daughter luckily found out that was what was expected he take to concentrate on football from his NC recruiting visit sponsor. He wound up going to Michigan, had a nice, not great, college career and became a doctor. He was not the least bit surprised that the NCAA and NC came up with the ridiculous finding that there could be no penalties to the athletic department because the “courses” were available and “taken” by non-athletic students also.

Reaction Score
Not trying to start a KO slam session because I liked KO, but do you think KO worked out? He was fired before the end of his first legit contract.
I’d say Guthridge was closer to Blaney than KO. Long time top assistant and friend. He took over for a short stint. BTW, if KO had his record he would still be the UConn head coach. 3 years 2 Final Fours. When Dean retired at the last minute he was given the job. Retired after 3 years. I always viewed it as a reward for service. Plus they were interested in landing Roy but he wasn’t available that late in the cycle. They actually tried to get Roy when Guthridge retired, but he said no.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
No, the NCAA aided and abetted NC in conning their way out with a ridiculous rationalization of a long standing practice of providing credits to athletes for non-courses. I know first hand because a highly rated football recruit who was dating my daughter luckily found out that was what was expected he take to concentrate on football from his NC recruiting visit sponsor. He wound up going to Michigan, had a nice, not great, college career and became a doctor. He was not the least bit surprised that the NCAA and NC came up with the ridiculous finding that there could be no penalties to the athletic department because the “courses” were available and “taken” by non-athletic students also.
Still pisses me off that NC got off easy while the NCAA ignored their duty to the student athletes. They should have acted, if nothing else determining eligibility after removing this course from the student's grades.
What's more amazing, to me, is that it still pisses me off after this time. As soon as the topic comes up I get instantly angry, so to my feeling about Duke always getting off or never even investigated for their transgressions.
So much for having a "Good Friday".

Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley

I would like that for Duke. I know we have his brother so it's hard to be honest but we definitely have the best of the Hurley brothers. Bobby's had some real nice talent at ASU and hasn't been impressive in closing his seasons. Not sure that's the right guy but I'd be happy to see Duke fail, so by all means.

Reaction Score
I would like that for Duke. I know we have his brother so it's hard to be honest but we definitely have the best of the Hurley brothers. Bobby's had some real nice talent at ASU and hasn't been impressive in closing his seasons. Not sure that's the right guy but I'd be happy to see Duke fail, so by all means.
My wife is a Duke honk and she says they'll never hire Bobby - he doesn't fit the "profile" of a Duke coach.

Her prediction is either Wojo (who stinks), Sheyer, or Dawkins but doesn't really love any option.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My wife is a Duke honk and she says they'll never hire Bobby - he doesn't fit the "profile" of a Duke coach.

Her prediction is either Wojo (who stinks), Sheyer, or Dawkins but doesn't really love any option.
Duke is in real trouble because kids want to play for K primarily. Take him away and what's left there?

Reaction Score
I think that will certainly be an issue, they have to sell kids on the "legacy" I guess.

They have an incredible recruiting class that could get even better today, if K doesn't go to a Final Four again soon.. Just walk away, it's clear that he's slipped the past 5 years.

Also in here to make the hot take that Roy Williams is a horribly overrated coach.

However the gif of him dancing his way into the locker room is a top 5 gif of all time. Tried to post it but I can't find it in the search function here.

Reaction Score
I’d say Guthridge was closer to Blaney than KO. Long time top assistant and friend. He took over for a short stint. BTW, if KO had his record he would still be the UConn head coach. 3 years 2 Final Fours. When Dean retired at the last minute he was given the job. Retired after 3 years. I always viewed
I remember.

Reaction Score
C’mon, there is no way UNC would or could ever hire a Duke former player or coach. I don’t think there is a less likely rivals scenario in USA sports.

I am a UNC Greensboro alum, and I have somewhat of a inside know of what's up in the state of North Carolinas basketball scene.

Many think that current UNCG coach, former UNC player and national champion Wes Miller will be the next guy to coach at UNC.

He has built UNCG into a 20+ win a season program and they have made the NCAAs 2 out of the last 4 years. with the other 2 being very close to making it.

That being said, UNC is very much a win now program and will probably want a high profile coach/hire. The last time they kept it in the family, Doherty, things didn't go so well. Wes Miller is relatively young and somewhat inexperienced...

View attachment 66539
Last time they kinda proved that only within the family will be considered, 1st Gut, then Doherty then Roy. To me they’ve proven they’ll keep hiring within until it works.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom