Rothstein on UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on UConn

Reaction Score
Just some quick thoughts on this.. CV will start over bouknight in the beginning, but by the new year I wouldn't be surprised to see Bouk as a starter. The comparison to Lamb is exactly what I see in Bouk.. obviously high praise, but from a game standpoint it fits perfectly. I've always liked Tyler Phommachanh, just thought he needed to get stronger (which it seems he has). From what i've heard and seen AKOK is a monster around the rim. Can the season start already?

I actually think it's more likely we see CV and Bouknight both starting (or at least getting the lion's share of minutes) at the 2 and 3.

I don't buy Polley getting significant time at the 3. I expect minutes to be distributed as follows:

1: Gilbert (30), Gaffney (10)
2: Vital (25), Bouknight (15)
3: Bouknight (15), Wilson (20), Adams (5)
4: Akok (20), Polley (20)
5: Carlton (30), Whaley (5), Akok (5)

Total minutes:
Gilbert - 30
Bouknight - 30
Carlton - 30
Vital - 25
Akok - 25
Wilson - 20
Polley - 20
Gaffney - 10
Whaley - 5
Adams - 5

It will probably be less equitable than that in big games or by the end of the season, but it will be somewhere in that ballpark barring big surprises.

Reaction Score

no PT for springs?

Reaction Score
In before the "Vital is our best player" crew has a collective seizure over this one.

There’s like, what, 30 games? I’ll be shocked if Vital doesn’t start any. He is a very good player. If Hurley is going to build he won’t give him as many minutes. My gut tells me the guy wants to win and I’m sure Vital is “ten toes in” on that regard. The best players will play.

Reaction Score
I know his tweets are a lot of hype BUT I am still pumped, don't care. Not gonna hide it, November can't come soon enough. I think at worst this is a fringe tourney team that just misses out. I think they could even get a win come March Madness.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There’s like, what, 30 games? I’ll be shocked if Vital doesn’t start any. He is a very good player. If Hurley is going to build he won’t give him as many minutes. My gut tells me the guy wants to win and I’m sure Vital is “ten toes in” on that regard. The best players will play.

He will start some, maybe most. I am actually a big believer in the value of experience in college basketball. Let's hope CV plays like a senior, and not like a guy who had two full years of being allowed to play terrible team basketball. My personal test for him = assists. If he's not sharing the ball on this team, it's time to take a seat.

Everyone is throwing out lineups, and I don't think Hurley will have a fixed lineup until late in the year. If Akok isn't getting it done in some way, Polley will be in. If Sid is hitting shots and blocking them on the other end, he's playing. Hell, even Adams if he's doing positive things. We have young guys with more talent than most of the older guys. It's going to be an interesting mix.

What I'm most excited about, and why I think we will surprise people, is that Hurley can do something no UConn coach could do over the last 3 years, put good players on the bench when they aren't playing with the effort and intelligence required. Aside from Carlton and Gilbert, I think minutes will drop. Polley and Vital will play less.

Reaction Score
I actually think it's more likely we see CV and Bouknight both starting (or at least getting the lion's share of minutes) at the 2 and 3.

I don't buy Polley getting significant time at the 3. I expect minutes to be distributed as follows:

Total minutes:
Gilbert - 30
Bouknight - 30
Carlton - 30
Vital - 25
Akok - 25
Wilson - 20
Polley - 20
Gaffney - 10
Whaley - 5
Adams - 5

It will probably be less equitable than that in big games or by the end of the season, but it will be somewhere in that ballpark barring big surprises.
I see it shaking out the same way, got to find 5 or so minutes for Springs just for rebounding alone.

Reaction Score
Polley has the size and skills to be a pro but I think he realized it’s his time. He could blow up big time this year and if that’s the case we’re making the tourney.

Reaction Score
i mean vital was removed from starting line up last year... why is him starting such a sure thing?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Polley has the size and skills to be a pro but I think he realized it’s his time. He could blow up big time this year and if that’s the case we’re making the tourney.

He'd need more than Kemba-like jump. His only good skill was 3pt shooting. And even that wasn't elite.
  • zero rebounding
  • not a good passer
  • couldn't create his own shot
  • Not aggressive
  • train wreck when he went to the hoop
  • at best an average defender. Too slight to D most fours and not quick enough for most threes. Could only guard specific players.
  • tweener who doesn't quite have an established position
He's got some potential, but it's gonna take a lot for him to become a really good player. He might do it tho.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
i mean vital was removed from starting line up last year... why is him starting such a sure thing?

That was more about sending him a message. Once our PGs went down, he tried to be the hero and took him out of his game, hurting the team.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How good can he think they are if he doesn't think they make the tournament?

Two senior guards and a top whatever class if enough for a deep run. Hard to take this seriously.

Reaction Score
I don’t see 6’9” Polley starting at 3 in Hurley’s system. He likes to play 3 guards. I think the starting 5 is Gilbert, Vital, Bouk, Akok, and Carlton. Main guys off the bench will be Gaffney, Polley, and Whaley.
Yeah, agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. I just can't see Polly playing the 3 any extended time. He is just too slow to guard even PF's at time so guarding quick 3's will be painful to watch. Hopefully he has gotten stronger and he can backup at the 4 and spot duties at the 3 when we decide to go big depending on matchup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom