Rothstein on UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on UConn

Reaction Score
Didn’t Rothstein predict UConn would make the tournament last year?

My scouting eye has been high on Polley and Carleton from the beginning.

Polley was given some of the most difficult guarding assignments last year including covering opposing team’s threes. I would have loved if he figured out how to release from his players and get rebounds. Rip made a huge leap his junior year. I believe Polley will improve this season.
Rip was Big East player of the year and second team All-American his sophomore year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bouknight is a stud! Watched a complete game he and Springs played in. Kid plays 110% all game on both ends. Something Steve E. didn’t do. He’s CV with Rip talent. If he can develop his game at the Division 1 college level UConn will be tournament bound.

Weird that Hurley claims one of James' problems is not having a high enough motor.

When Dan Hurley sees one of his freshman, James Bouknight, moving slowly, he knows where to find the volume switch.

“When I used to play in high school, or in AAU, people used to say that I didn’t play with a motor,” Bouknight said, after a practice at UConn on Monday. “So that’s the main focus, that I play with a motor.”

Hurley uses the word a lot in talking to, and about Bouknight.

“Bouknight is as talented as we thought he was, or is,” Hurley said. “We’ve got to just get his motor, get that motor going. He’s got to understand how hard you’ve got to practice, how hard you’ve got to play, play in and play out in college. You can play in spurts in high school or AAU and play off of talent. But at the college level, play in and play out, you’ve got to do it. Once he understands that, the absolute sky is the limit here, and he’ll learn because he’s such a great kid.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CV is absolutely starting, so is Bouk. In the American you can easily get away with playing 3 guards especially if one of them is a long 6’4/6’5 like Bouk. The competition is at the 4 between Akok and an improved Polley. I think Polley starts but akok gets a ton of minutes between the 4 and the 5. Polley isn’t playing the 3, his foot speed isn’t up to par.

Most people are missing the obvious and most important thing about the question of who starts/plays. It requires maximum effort. You slack on D, you sit. You take bad shots, you sit. You commit dumb fouls, you sit. You don't rebound, you sit. You do anything that detracts from being an elite team again, you sit.

Assuming these guys are any good, Hurley now gets to point guys to the bench like Calhoun used to point guys to the bench. A huge potential advance in restoring a tough, winning culture. It's what separates the guys that have one or two playground moves with champions.

We used to expose opposing players like that all the time. Recently, we've had too many of those types of players. Video clips guys as opposed to winners.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Weird that Hurley claims one of James' problems is not having a high enough motor.

When Dan Hurley sees one of his freshman, James Bouknight, moving slowly, he knows where to find the volume switch.

“When I used to play in high school, or in AAU, people used to say that I didn’t play with a motor,” Bouknight said, after a practice at UConn on Monday. “So that’s the main focus, that I play with a motor.”

Hurley uses the word a lot in talking to, and about Bouknight.

“Bouknight is as talented as we thought he was, or is,” Hurley said. “We’ve got to just get his motor, get that motor going. He’s got to understand how hard you’ve got to practice, how hard you’ve got to play, play in and play out in college. You can play in spurts in high school or AAU and play off of talent. But at the college level, play in and play out, you’ve got to do it. Once he understands that, the absolute sky is the limit here, and he’ll learn because he’s such a great kid.”
Only watched one game. There was no problem with his motor that game. Whatever happened to motivate him that game I’m hoping can be done consistently. Still going to C of C tournament.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Rip was Big East player of the year and second team All-American his sophomore year.
Was referring to the change Rip made sophomore to junior season with knowing when to leak out versus help out on defensive rebounding.

Reaction Score
Nope. Even Whaley is a stretch.

With that degree of certainty it's time to lock this thread for posterity and count on a year end review to see who got it right.

I get so hyped with all the preseason prognostications here and elsewhere that I see another undefeated season with Richie Springs making the all-freshmen and third team all league.

Reaction Score
Nothing that you said that I don’t agree with, my point was, if he needs to defer minutes at any point bc other players can do certain things better than he can, he should do so willingly with enthusiasm. I believe it was a quote by Abe Lincoln who said that great leaders also know their limitations. I just want to see team first players not me first players. I think CV will be that

Wasn't it Clint Eastwood? "A man's got to know his limitations."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Most people are missing the obvious and most important thing about the question of who starts/plays. It requires maximum effort. You slack on D, you sit. You take bad shots, you sit. You commit dumb fouls, you sit. You don't rebound, you sit. You do anything that detracts from being an elite team again, you sit.

Assuming these guys are any good, Hurley now gets to point guys to the bench like Calhoun used to point guys to the bench. A huge potential advance in restoring a tough, winning culture. It's what separates the guys that have one or two playground moves with champions.

We used to expose opposing players like that all the time. Recently, we've had too many of those types of players. Video clips guys as opposed to winners.

That’s why I keep saying nobody but AG or Carlton is likely to get 30 minutes. He’s going to expect maximum defensive effort at all times, and will have a quicker hook than he had last year. The level of competition is very high for every spot but PG and C. I think he wants to change that too with a C recruit, and with Cole and Gaffney pushing each other next season.

Reaction Score
With that degree of certainty it's time to lock this thread for posterity and count on a year end review to see who got it right.

I get so hyped with all the preseason prognostications here and elsewhere that I see another undefeated season with Richie Springs making the all-freshmen and third team all league.

This stuff is the only mildly enjoyable part of the off-season. Even the staff probably doesn't REALLY know how such a young team will play

Reaction Score
He was a freshman last year.
I am not high on Sid. He has physical talent that should ready him for stardom and can get points and boards but he doesn’t defend. He thinks he’s a 3 point shooter hanging at the line. Bad handle. Is he a hard worker? But he’ll get minutes and I want to be wrong about this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I am not high on Sid. He has physical talent that should ready him for stardom and can get points and boards but he doesn’t defend. He thinks he’s a 3 point shooter hanging at the line. Bad handle. Is he a hard worker? But he’ll get minutes and I want to be wrong about this.

But we were talking about Brendan Adams.

Reaction Score
I think to be an elite 3pt shooter you've got to be able to do more than be a spot up shooter. Have to be able to create your own 3pt shot. Bazz was an elite 3pt shooter. He could take it off the bounce and pull up. Spot up. Do whatever.

Was he even Top 100? Serious question. I've no idea.

What a 4 has to do to be an elite three point shooter is different than what a wing has to do to be an elite 3 point shooter. If you're a 4, being able to hit spot ups (and thus dragging an opponent's big away from the paint) is sufficient.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What a 4 has to do to be an elite three point shooter is different than what a wing has to do to be an elite 3 point shooter. If you're a 4, being able to hit spot ups (and thus dragging an opponent's big away from the paint) is sufficient.

I think people here are inappropriately conflating shot creation with shot making.

They are not the same skill.

You be an elite spot up shooter and not be a good shot creator.

The inverse is also very true. All the handles and moves in the world don’t mean jack if you shoot 20% from 3.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

While I get what you're saying. And wouldn't argue against that, Polley's shown to be more of a three then a four.

Missing too much inside so far. No rebounding,aggressivemess, post moves, interior defense to speak of. No passing inside. Pushed around. Etc

He may be able to turn much of that around, but the jury's still out.

I still see him as a 3andD guy, but we'll see.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think people here are inappropriately conflating shot creation with shot making.

They are not the same skill.

You be an elite spot up shooter and not be a good shot creator.

The inverse is also very true. All the handles and moves in the world don’t mean jack if you shoot 20% from 3.

I probably was too loose w my initial designation. Clarified a bit in later posts. I'd say a spot up shooter needs a higher percentage than a guy who gets his own. It's easier.

That said, he's not an elite spot up shooter either. He's good. Maybe very good {though I'd argue that).

Reaction Score
While I get what you're saying. He's shown to be more of a three then a four.

Missing too much inside so far. No rebounding,aggressivemess, post moves, interior defense to speak of. No passing inside. Pushed around. Etc

3andD =/= a SF who plays defense. 3 and D can be any position. Refers to 3pt shooting and defense. Vital is close to a 3 and D type. Though he might be a little bit too good witg the ball and his hands (not great) and not elite enough at defense.

Reaction Score
While I get what you're saying. He's shown to be more of a three then a four.

If you are being guarded by a 4, you don't have to have moves or ball handling skills to get an open 3. You just have to spot up and wait. You may not think he's good enough on the interior defensively to be a good stretch 4, but that was his role last year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
3andD =/= a SF who plays defense. 3 and D can be any position. Refers to 3pt shooting and defense. Vital is close to a 3 and D type. Though he might be a little bit too good witg the ball and his hands (not great) and not elite enough at defense.

I know that. I wasnt implying otherwise. But I can see how it seems that on reread. I meant 3dD on the wing. Have yet to see anything that makes me comfortable w him at the 4 against a league opponent. Other than we don't have many other options.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you are being guarded by a 4, you don't have to have moves or ball handling skills to get an open 3. You just have to spot up and wait. You may not think he's good enough on the interior defensively to be a good stretch 4, but that was his role last year.

Stretch fours can usually score inside some as well. Or do something in the post.

DeAndre Daniel's game is what I think of as a stretch four.

Just sitting on the perimeter is not enough of a delineation to call a guy a stretch 4. Otherwise you could throw out a 6'guard at 'PF' and call him a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
Stretch fours can usually score inside some as well. Or do something in the post.

DeAndre Daniel's game is what I think of as a stretch four.

Just sitting on the perimeter is not enough of a delineation to call a guy a stretch 4. Otherwise you could throw out a 6'guard at 'PF' and call him a stretch 4.

No. A stretch 4 has to be able to score inside to be good, but the difference between your silly example and Polley is that he actually (and competently -- we can argue how well) guards a 4 on the other end. That and being able to hit 3s is all it takes to fit within the definition. To be really good, however, you need to do other things as Deandre Daniels and Giffey did.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. A stretch 4 has to be able to score inside to be good, but the difference between your silly example and Polley is that he actually (and competently -- we can argue how well) guards a 4 on the other end. That and being able to hit 3s is all it takes to fit within the definition. To be really good, however, you need to do other things as Deandre Daniels and Giffey did.

Yeah I don’t understand the world elite being used here. Akok could be a fabulous stretch 4. We sure hope he will be. Polley is a serviceable one. He’s a useful player. If he becomes more useful, rebounding, scoring inside or defending more positions well, that helps the team. I don’t think Giffey was anything close to “elite” either and he was too small to be a force inside. Polley by senior year could become what Niels was as a senior. Either way he’s a valuable role player.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don’t understand the world elite being used here. Akok could be a fabulous stretch 4. We sure hope he will be. Polley is a serviceable one. He’s a useful player. If he becomes more useful, rebounding, scoring inside or defending more positions well, that helps the team. I don’t think Giffey was anything close to “elite” either and he was too small to be a force inside. Polley by senior year could become what Niels was as a senior. Either way he’s a valuable role player.

Not a single person here has (ever I believe) called Polley an elite basketball player. The discussion is about whether a stretch 4 hitting 39% from 3 is an elite three point shooter for his position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom