Rothstein on UConn | The Boneyard

Rothstein on UConn

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I do think polley is underrated. He shut down Mcduffie and rated ok on d despite being arguably the worst pound for pound rebounder on the planet.

Him being able to play the 3 would help us on the boards.

Reaction Score
Just some quick thoughts on this.. CV will start over bouknight in the beginning, but by the new year I wouldn't be surprised to see Bouk as a starter. The comparison to Lamb is exactly what I see in Bouk.. obviously high praise, but from a game standpoint it fits perfectly. I've always liked Tyler Phommachanh, just thought he needed to get stronger (which it seems he has). From what i've heard and seen AKOK is a monster around the rim. Can the season start already?

Reaction Score
Pre-season Rothstein stuff again. I hate to be a buzz kill, but he does this stuff every year.

Excellent point, and in general, true.

BUT (a big but...) if what Rothstein is saying about Tyler Polley is true - we become a legit contender for top tier in the AAC and an NCAA tournament berth.

Most of us agree that the 3 is our weakest position - if Polley has improved enough to make it a strength, look out.

Certainly would make this year REALLY interesting... with much to look forward to :cool:

Reaction Score

Rothstein makes you feel like you're going to win the championship every preseason but this is the lineup I'm hoping for.

Now wait until Rothstein starts dropping knowledge on the beat red sauce joints and where to get your linguine with clams.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I gotta say, Polley has a long way to go to prove to me he is a solid player. He looks good but the late game trey(s) are too predictable. As is the no defense.

Fingers crossed but a long way to go.

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
If polley can really play both spots, sid may be on the outside looking in.

But still. Great stuff to hear!!

I think its asinine the hate syd gets here, he was a freshman, and hes incredibly athletic, no one has even given the kid time to channel that athleticism and quite frankly none of you are that great of scouts, yes he needs a shot but it can develop, yes he looked lost at points but again, first time playing with his coach and he was a freshman. You all act like hes some hooligan we have on our team that cant possibly serve a purpose down the road. Personally i'm most excited to see him develop.

Reaction Score
I think its asinine the hate syd gets here, he was a freshman, and hes incredibly athletic, no one has even given the kid time to channel that athleticism and quite frankly none of you are that great of scouts, yes he needs a shot but it can develop, yes he looked lost at points but again, first time playing with his coach and he was a freshman. You all act like hes some hooligan we have on our team that cant possibly serve a purpose down the road. Personally i'm most excited to see him develop.

Testy, eh? There's not any judgment in the post you quoted. That seems to pretty logical. Sid's role was as a 3. We needed that desperately. Polley was a better player than Sid at everything but 3-man skills, basically. Not rebounding, to be fair.

And even if Polley sticks as a 4.. hurley seems to like guards.. bouk isba pretty talented sf too. Seems like adams and Sid might be competing for mop up SF minutes

A 6'6 180lb kid needs to be able to shoot and dribble the ball more than 2 times. He has the chance to learn those things, for sure.

Sid has had a pretty traumatic life. He has a lot against him. No decent fan WANTS him to fail. It's just been apparent other guys have developed new skills and Sid hasn't

Reaction Score
I don’t see 6’9” Polley starting at 3 in Hurley’s system. He likes to play 3 guards. I think the starting 5 is Gilbert, Vital, Bouk, Akok, and Carlton. Main guys off the bench will be Gaffney, Polley, and Whaley.
We have enough talent and depth to play 3 guards. We lack depth at 4 and 5 and I see Polley playing mostly the 4 but will have some playing time at the 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom