Rothstein in Storrs Now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rothstein in Storrs Now

Reaction Score
Absolutely love alterique. If you go back to when last season went downhill he had like 16 points in the Oregon game thanksgiving night and they were pretty much tied with mich st at half. Then he got hurt and it was nite nite. Still not sold at all on Carlton - you guys might think I’m crazy but I wasn’t impressed Much with him last year: no motor , not very hungry Around the basket , no leaping ability , and seems slow - yeah he’s got some finesse and he’s a lefty but I wish we had better. Rooting hard to be wrong on him tho. 10% chance Jalen and alterique cud be best backcourt in country come March. Especially if AGs shot improves.

Reaction Score
I prefer Diarra as our anchor. Once he comes back from injury. He’s our enforcer. He can definitely be molded into our stopper. Had a few nice games late last year. Speedy recovery to him. Gonna need him back soon. Plus he ll be redshirt soph.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I said that Tyler Polley is better than Sid and he should be starting. Tyler is a better shooter and defender. People overreact to high school rankings and make that the be all end all.

Tyler is not a good defender. At least he wasn't last year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Slashing ability will only get a player so far in Div. 1. Sid needs a decent shot to keep the defense honest. Too bad we can't pick some from the Polley column and some from the Sid problem and create a player.

Lot's of players do well without being able to shoot in MCBB. In the NBA, it's not quite as common.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
His senior year he was pretty healthy, but with the talent we had he had fallen to our 4th option at SG/SF. Still, we'll always have that game against Ohio State

He was always limited after than surgery imo. He might have been 'healthy', but he certainly wasn't the athlete he was coming in.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He was always limited after than surgery imo. He might have been 'healthy', but he certainly wasn't the athlete he was coming in.
Bingo. Totally different player post surgery.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Last few tweets:

Josh Carlton looks the part of a breakout sophomore, but the motor needs to stay turned on all the time. Has to be at least 8 and 8 guy for UConn in 18-19.

Would expect Dan Hurley to regularly use three and sometimes four guard lineups. Huskies have no real proven commodities aside from Jalen Adams.

Blown away with how well Alterique Gilbert shoots the ball in non-contact drills. Much more than just a slasher and a driver. Excellent form and mechanics.

The wildcard position for UConn is PF. Huskies can go small with Sidney Wilson, skilled with Tyler Polley, or big with Kassoum Yakwe.

Brendan Adams gives UConn a big and sturdy presence on the wing that it hasn't had recently. Think a "Denham Brown" type build at 6-4.

Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Alterique Gilbert, Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton.
0% chance Polley starts over Wilson. Can we really start 3 guys under 6’3??

Reaction Score
Absolutely love alterique. If you go back to when last season went downhill he had like 16 points in the Oregon game thanksgiving night and they were pretty much tied with mich st at half. Then he got hurt and it was nite nite. Still not sold at all on Carlton - you guys might think I’m crazy but I wasn’t impressed Much with him last year: no motor , not very hungry Around the basket , no leaping ability , and seems slow - yeah he’s got some finesse and he’s a lefty but I wish we had better. Rooting hard to be wrong on him tho. 10% chance Jalen and alterique cud be best backcourt in country come March. Especially if AGs shot improves.

Agree with a lot but you need to know Carlton in a righty. He certainly doesn’t have explosion but his hands and footwork are solid just needs to get stronger and quicker. He could be a very nice player if he puts the time in.

Reaction Score
Carlton is solid. I expect a real good soph season from him. Something like 8-10 ppg and 7-8 rpg.

The real mystery at this point is the 4. I dont think anyone knows the who or the what we will be getting there. I hope Cobb steps up, but we really have no idea if that is realistic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
People overreact to high school rankings and make that the be all end all.
People overreact to reports that come out during the off season as well.
And in my case, I'm only slightly less ignorant during the season.

Reaction Score
Carlton is solid. I expect a real good soph season from him. Something like 8-10 ppg and 7-8 rpg.

The real mystery at this point is the 4. I dont think anyone knows the who or the what we will be getting there. I hope Cobb steps up, but we really have no idea if that is realistic.

Make that 8 and 5, and we have a deal. I think cobb earns enough.minutes to keep carltons pure stats a little lower

Reaction Score
Make that 8 and 5, and we have a deal. I think cobb earns enough.minutes to keep carltons pure stats a little lower

He had a 3 game stretch last season where he averaged a double double, so I am admittedly a little biased in terms of positive expectations as those games showed me something. I think he will turn out to be a very good 4 year player. It seems like far too long since we had a true Center. Thabeet?

Reaction Score
Tyler is not a good defender. At least he wasn't last year.
Tyler was 18 years old last year as was Carlton.
They were babes playing against men most of the year.
I love Polley more than most for one reason he can shoot.
We have great guard play the last thing you want to do is allow the defense to compress
I know most of you are not overly analytical but when Jackson and Vital started hitting threes in 2016-17 the team made a leap. That surged died with Adams injury as he was the sole creator .
Polley can play the 3 or the 4 and unless Wilson can shoot he will be limited.
Also reviewing Polleys films he showed an ability to put it on the floor we haven’t seen probably because of cofidence but it’s there waiting to blossom.
It’s easier to defend a wing with a great handle and mediocre shot than a wing with with a great shot and decent handle. When you force the D to step out and defend running offense becomes possible .
Great guards like JA and maybe Gilbert ,who can find you , pass ,shoot ,or take it to the hoop exploit the gaps this creates.
Also if the wings man has to go out to guard him you also take the double team of
the five making an entry pass 100% easier.
Wings who can make shots are first prize.
Especially in college where defenses can cheat like crazy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rothstein
That's all that needs to be said
Rothstein
Not worth the key strokes

Reaction Score
To me, getting to the rim and finishing at the rim are two separate skills. I teach them that way.

Towards the end of a very tentative freshman season mostly playing behind Terry Larrier, the last third of the schedule rolled around and Tyler was beginning to find a role as a spot up 3 point shooter and this because he was putting in a lot of extra time shooting, and it was paying off. The last few games, 4 or 5 say, he was starting to put the ball on the floor and driving to the hoop, but wasn't able to finish as multiple defenders would collapse on him. He would either get fouled or get stopped, but I give him credit for trying to be aggressive to the hoop. Only other player really driving to the hoop in our halfcourt offense, was Jalen Adams. Terry Larrier, although shooting some midrange shots was not attacking the rim. Tyler was not strong enough last year and struggled with his confidence, playing real hesitant and worrying about making mistakes, deferring often to other players.

Tyler will put it together this year and make a real jump in his second season. Not playing behind Larrier puts him right in the thick of it and he has to step it up. I think he is plenty tough enough, he just needed to add strength, muscle, and some maturity for his game to blossom. Big part of our success this coming season.

Reaction Score
Must be losing my mind. Cudda sworn he was a lefty. Yes only a frosh last year but he did get a Lot of run against mostly weak conference teams. Just expected a few more huge breakout Games. Wish him the best this year. Just not at all sold on him polley or whalley. Like u said tho Still young.

Reaction Score
I kind of hate myself for how much I am relying on AG, again, to be the missing piece. But no doubt I am.
I'm not relying on him. But I'd love to. I will light a candle for you though, and me, and all of us, if he gets hurt again the poor guy. He's had a real crap deal. But, he's what 20? Good looking, getting a degree, getting a degree that's paid for, living the life of a college student. Good for him. Hope he can get the basketball parts he wants, and we want.

Reaction Score
Polley had a good little stretch I believe in Tulsa game where he hit like 3 first half threes. That was pretty much his scope last year

Reaction Score
He was getting into the zip code of the rim well.
He saw the rim, he liked the rim. But, it was way over there. And there were dudes. And they were angry.

Reaction Score
Tyler will be a way more important player for us this year than Sid.

If anyone can play the DeAndre Daniels role it’s him. Same size, same shooting ability, he has toughness, is smart and a team player, knows his role.

Tyler can space the floor and is a good perimeter defender. He just needs the confidence of the coach which he has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom