Rothstein in Storrs Now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rothstein in Storrs Now

pj

Reaction Score
All last year, people were saying Sid was our second best player in practice, a real surprise, all that. I didn't go to any practices last year, so took it with a grain of salt.

Now he's not even on a predicted starters list? Something is odd with that kid.

I wouldn't read anything into it. More likely at this point in preparations for the season that he has a task list of things to work on, e.g. getting stronger, and they want him to earn playing time by progressing on his task list. When the season is underway the best players will play.

And by the way, he was listed as a starter -- but at the 4 in small ball lineups, with Tyler and Kassoum the other sometimes-starting 4s. But I don't take any of those mentions seriously.

Reaction Score
All last year, people were saying Sid was our second best player in practice, a real surprise, all that. I didn't go to any practices last year, so took it with a grain of salt.

Perhaps being the second best player in Ollie's practice doesn't translate to being the second best player in Hurley's practice.

Reaction Score
I take most of the things Rothstein says with several grains of salt. Just saying.

Oh for sure.

There's just been a few indications at this point that Sid hasn't been bought in very much.

Ball doesn''t lie though. I couldn't care less as long as he can out leather 8n the peach basket

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
The guy that's been really impressive for UConn? Sam Cassell Jr. Reads defenses really well and wants the ball. Just knows how to play.

4 years ago he praised Cassel and Omar during practices. They both were not very good that season. You can't judge a team or its players by one practice.

Sam Jr., I think, was our leading scorer in the preseason and as a result started the first few games.

Cassell Jr. continued his productive preseason in the early going, connecting on three early three-pointers to pace the Husky offense. The UConn guard tallied 13 points in the first half, while Boatright and Hamilton each added six points to give Connecticut a 33-25 lead at the break. Cassell Jr. averaged 17.5 points a game in the preseason. No. 17 UConn Defeats Assumption, 68-59, In Preseason Finale On Sunday - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics

Reaction Score
Based on Rothstein's quotes, this teams depth in the backcourt and its dearth of talent in the front court, I would expect B. Adams to get plenty of minutes as the 3rd guard/SF, kinda like the undersized point-forward role Trent Forrest has with Florida State.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Last few tweets:
Blown away with how well Alterique Gilbert shoots the ball in non-contact drills. Much more than just a slasher and a driver. Excellent form and mechanics.

Schwing! Sounds like somebody's put his down time to good use.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's just been a few indications at this point that Sid hasn't been bought in very much.

Ball doesn''t lie though. I couldn't care less as long as he can out leather 8n the peach basket

I haven't seen anything like that. What'd you hear?

Reaction Score
Sam Jr., I think, was our leading scorer in the preseason and as a result started the first few games.

Cassell Jr. continued his productive preseason in the early going, connecting on three early three-pointers to pace the Husky offense. The UConn guard tallied 13 points in the first half, while Boatright and Hamilton each added six points to give Connecticut a 33-25 lead at the break. Cassell Jr. averaged 17.5 points a game in the preseason. No. 17 UConn Defeats Assumption, 68-59, In Preseason Finale On Sunday - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics

Cassell Jr. was not good as a Husky so my point stands that you cant go by one practice and I'll add exhibiion against lesser teams for you. Leading scorer in that he hit 7 threes against DII schools in the 2 exhibitions, his type of competition. He started because Purvis was suspended for the first game against Bryant then against Coppin State where Brimah scored 40 which says alot about Coppin State.

Reaction Score

I said that Tyler Polley is better than Sid and he should be starting. Tyler is a better shooter and defender. People overreact to high school rankings and make that the be all end all.

Reaction Score
I said that Tyler Polley is better than Sid and he should be starting. Tyler is

I said that Polley was better than Sid. People overreact to high school rankings and make that the be all end all.

If Polley can shoot 3s and defend the 3-4, we'll be in a good place. I thought he looked nice at the end of last year. Had some good moves but lacked strength to finish.

Polley and Carlton developing (imo) are the difference between being a 2nd weekend team, or being a CIT team.

Reaction Score
I said that Tyler Polley is better than Sid and he should be starting. Tyler is a better shooter and defender. People overreact to high school rankings and make that the be all end all.
Or maybe it's just the fact that we heard rumors he had been one of the better players in practice last year?

Reaction Score
The next time he attacks the rim
will be the first. Yea he is a good shooter, albeit from a small sample size, but we need our wings to be able to keep defenders on their toes, not just be spot up shooters. I think Sid’s slashing ability will earn him big minutes.

Reaction Score
will be the first. Yea he is a good shooter, albeit from a small sample size, but we need our wings to be able to keep defenders on their toes, not just be spot up shooters. I think Sid’s slashing ability will earn him big minutes.
Slashing ability will only get a player so far in Div. 1. Sid needs a decent shot to keep the defense honest. Too bad we can't pick some from the Polley column and some from the Sid problem and create a player.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Did Omar have a healthy season besides his freshmen?

C

Chief00

Last few tweets:

Josh Carlton looks the part of a breakout sophomore, but the motor needs to stay turned on all the time. Has to be at least 8 and 8 guy for UConn in 18-19.

Would expect Dan Hurley to regularly use three and sometimes four guard lineups. Huskies have no real proven commodities aside from Jalen Adams.

Blown away with how well Alterique r
Last few tweets:

Josh Carlton looks the part of a breakout sophomore, but the motor needs to stay turned on all the time. Has to be at least 8 and 8 guy for UConn in 18-19.

Would expect Dan Hurley to regularly use three and sometimes four guard lineups. Huskies have no real proven commodities aside from Jalen Adams.

Blown away with how well Alterique Gilbert shoots the ball in non-contact drills. Much more than just a slasher and a driver. Excellent form and mechanics.

The wildcard position for UConn is PF. Huskies can go small with Sidney Wilson, skilled with Tyler Polley, or big with Kassoum Yakwe.

Brendan Adams gives UConn a big and sturdy presence on the wing that it hasn't had recently. Think a "Denham Brown" type build at 6-4.

Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Alterique Gilbert, Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton.

Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Alterique Gilbert, Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton.

Chief needs to clean some stuff up.

Despite being only 6-7, Chief see Yawke as more of a backup center. Cobb is more of a PF, who can pass and shoot. Sid is not a PF but a wing. Prolley could be a 2 or 3.

C

Chief00

Oh for sure.

Yeah some friction with Sal - guess who’s going to lose that battle? LOL

Reaction Score

I'm told that Sid just goes through the motions like he doesn't care, especially in the weight room. Hurley wants Sid stronger feels he's too weak at this level.

Reaction Score

Polley got to the rim well late last year. Just couldn't finish because he is weak. You're not remembering correctly.

Reaction Score
I'm told that Sid just goes through the motions like he doesn't care, especially in the weight room. Hurley wants Sid stronger feels he's too weak at this level.
Who told you that?

Reaction Score
Did Omar have a healthy season besides his freshmen?
His senior year he was pretty healthy, but with the talent we had he had fallen to our 4th option at SG/SF. Still, we'll always have that game against Ohio State

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom