Rothstein in Storrs Now

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by Guapo, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Guapo

Guapo

2. SoCalCanine

SoCalCanine

Probably going to the Alumni game tonight?

3. tcf15

tcf15

So happy that the Hurley era is official five months after it started

noeynox, Mano, goodgameed and 41 others like this.
  4. Wordbomar

Wordbomar

Glad Jon could make it there to kick it off!

JMick, KSC94, Guapo and 3 others like this.
  5. Guapo

Guapo

6. Guapo

Guapo

7. pj

pj

The first tweet answers the second. We need Alterique.

When journalists tweet things like this, they've almost always gotten off-the-record background from the coaches, and know what the coaches want them to put out. That's good for both parties -- the journalist knows from the coaches that his statement is true and that later events won't make him look ignorant; the coach gets a message out that he may want his team to hear from an outsider, the players will think Rothstein formed an independent opinion and is backing up what they hear from the coach. So Hurley thinks someone, Alterique or Jalen or both, needs to step up their on-court leadership, and that the rest of the team needs to accept their leadership and follow.

I think Alterique is the natural leader. Jalen is the scorer and shouldn't have too many additional responsibilities.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. Candyman34

Candyman34

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
    The guy that's been really impressive for UConn? Sam Cassell Jr. Reads defenses really well and wants the ball. Just knows how to play.

4 years ago he praised Cassel and Omar during practices. They both were not very good that season. You can't judge a team or its players by one practice.

9. KSC94

KSC94

Last few tweets:

Josh Carlton looks the part of a breakout sophomore, but the motor needs to stay turned on all the time. Has to be at least 8 and 8 guy for UConn in 18-19.

Would expect Dan Hurley to regularly use three and sometimes four guard lineups. Huskies have no real proven commodities aside from Jalen Adams.

Blown away with how well Alterique Gilbert shoots the ball in non-contact drills. Much more than just a slasher and a driver. Excellent form and mechanics.

The wildcard position for UConn is PF. Huskies can go small with Sidney Wilson, skilled with Tyler Polley, or big with Kassoum Yakwe.

Brendan Adams gives UConn a big and sturdy presence on the wing that it hasn't had recently. Think a "Denham Brown" type build at 6-4.

Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Alterique Gilbert, Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton.

10. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Nothing begins until Rothstein says it begins.

11. pj

pj

You can't, but like I said Rothstein gets his tweets from the coaches, not from his own opinion after one hour of watching practice. If he was praising Sam Jr., it was because KO wanted him to. Probably KO valued his relationship with Sam's dad, knew Sam Jr. wasn't going to play much, and wanted him to get some gratification from the press.

12. NowInStorrs

NowInStorrs The truth is out there.

Man he out here talkin bout practice

13. Stainmaster

Stainmaster Occasionally Constructive

Off. The. Charts.

Guapo likes this.
  14. pj

pj

Good news there:
    - Alterique ready to go, we need that.
    - Christian keeping his starting spot ahead of Sid Wilson. Pressure on the rookie.
    - Tyler stepping up? The 4 spot is wide open, I doubt any player has an inside position yet. This could be coach-speak to tell the other players there's more work to do to earn a spot. Tyler might be in the last position for all we know, after all he was last in the "practice points" contest, therefore, naming him doesn't make players think the coach has picked a favorite. Interesting that Sid is thought of as a potential 4 in a 4-guard lineup, and that Yakwe is currently the leader among the big men for the 4-spot. Maybe Hurley is tactically labeling the senior as the favorite, keeping the developmental pressure on the younger forwards. Saying Sid and Tyler could take their minutes is a strong statement that the forwards need to step up to win playing time.
    - Hurley continuing to anoint Josh as a starter and asking him to step up production.
    - Hurley encouraging Brendan Adams -- crowded perimeter with Alterique, Jalen, Christian, Sid, and Tarin ahead of him, I think Hurley doesn't want him to get discouraged thinking that minutes will never materialize.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    LStudfellow and auror like this.
  15. 8893

8893 Curiouser

I kind of hate myself for how much I am relying on AG, again, to be the missing piece. But no doubt I am.

Mano, mauconnfan, intlzncster and 4 others like this.
  16. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

I know it's almost 11am and I should be fully awake by now, but I'm only on my second cup of coffee and this post had me very worried about having entered an alternate reality.

Don't do that again, thanks!

17. CL82

CL82 Excited about UConn basketball again!

Because he is the key piece to a successful season. I'm trying to adopt a watchful waiting mindset but the first good practice he has I'll be sucked in too. Just how it is.

8893 likes this.
  18. Hans Sprungfeld

Hans Sprungfeld It's OK to settle, except in love.

First rule of Tweet Club...

19. Candyman34

Candyman34

LOL My bad as that would scare me too.

20. Kemba429

Kemba429 Behind enemy lines.

This man truly is one of a kind... keep him away from Jonathan.

21. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Hoping to see something that looks like basketball

He's fine. I know people are reluctant, but what he had done should fix it, and likely would improve his shooting since he's been shooting with a bad shoulder for forever. Note Jon's comments of surprise on his shooting form.

Mokum, LStudfellow, pj and 2 others like this.
  22. GetTheFacts

GetTheFacts

Let's not overlook the fact that he compared Brendan Adams to Denham Brown.

23. djct1999

djct1999

Does Rothstein have any clue that Denham once scored 100 pts in a high school game?

Mano, ClassOf2021, Mazhude and 3 others like this.
  24. husky429

husky429

All last year, people were saying Sid was our second best player in practice, a real surprise, all that. I didn't go to any practices last year, so took it with a grain of salt.

Now he's not even on a predicted starters list? Something is odd with that kid.

25. Stainmaster

Stainmaster Occasionally Constructive

I take most of the things Rothstein says with several grains of salt. Just saying.