Rothstein in Storrs Now | The Boneyard

Rothstein in Storrs Now

pj

Reaction Score

The first tweet answers the second. We need Alterique.

When journalists tweet things like this, they've almost always gotten off-the-record background from the coaches, and know what the coaches want them to put out. That's good for both parties -- the journalist knows from the coaches that his statement is true and that later events won't make him look ignorant; the coach gets a message out that he may want his team to hear from an outsider, the players will think Rothstein formed an independent opinion and is backing up what they hear from the coach. So Hurley thinks someone, Alterique or Jalen or both, needs to step up their on-court leadership, and that the rest of the team needs to accept their leadership and follow.

I think Alterique is the natural leader. Jalen is the scorer and shouldn't have too many additional responsibilities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last few tweets:

Josh Carlton looks the part of a breakout sophomore, but the motor needs to stay turned on all the time. Has to be at least 8 and 8 guy for UConn in 18-19.

Would expect Dan Hurley to regularly use three and sometimes four guard lineups. Huskies have no real proven commodities aside from Jalen Adams.

Blown away with how well Alterique Gilbert shoots the ball in non-contact drills. Much more than just a slasher and a driver. Excellent form and mechanics.

The wildcard position for UConn is PF. Huskies can go small with Sidney Wilson, skilled with Tyler Polley, or big with Kassoum Yakwe.

Brendan Adams gives UConn a big and sturdy presence on the wing that it hasn't had recently. Think a "Denham Brown" type build at 6-4.

Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Alterique Gilbert, Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton.

pj

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
The guy that's been really impressive for UConn? Sam Cassell Jr. Reads defenses really well and wants the ball. Just knows how to play.

4 years ago he praised Cassel and Omar during practices. They both were not very good that season. You can't judge a team or its players by one practice.

You can't, but like I said Rothstein gets his tweets from the coaches, not from his own opinion after one hour of watching practice. If he was praising Sam Jr., it was because KO wanted him to. Probably KO valued his relationship with Sam's dad, knew Sam Jr. wasn't going to play much, and wanted him to get some gratification from the press.

pj

Reaction Score
Last few tweets:

Josh Carlton looks the part of a breakout sophomore, but the motor needs to stay turned on all the time. Has to be at least 8 and 8 guy for UConn in 18-19.

Would expect Dan Hurley to regularly use three and sometimes four guard lineups. Huskies have no real proven commodities aside from Jalen Adams.

Blown away with how well Alterique Gilbert shoots the ball in non-contact drills. Much more than just a slasher and a driver. Excellent form and mechanics.

The wildcard position for UConn is PF. Huskies can go small with Sidney Wilson, skilled with Tyler Polley, or big with Kassoum Yakwe.

Brendan Adams gives UConn a big and sturdy presence on the wing that it hasn't had recently. Think a "Denham Brown" type build at 6-4.

Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Alterique Gilbert, Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton.

Good news there:
- Alterique ready to go, we need that.
- Christian keeping his starting spot ahead of Sid Wilson. Pressure on the rookie.
- Tyler stepping up? The 4 spot is wide open, I doubt any player has an inside position yet. This could be coach-speak to tell the other players there's more work to do to earn a spot. Tyler might be in the last position for all we know, after all he was last in the "practice points" contest, therefore, naming him doesn't make players think the coach has picked a favorite. Interesting that Sid is thought of as a potential 4 in a 4-guard lineup, and that Yakwe is currently the leader among the big men for the 4-spot. Maybe Hurley is tactically labeling the senior as the favorite, keeping the developmental pressure on the younger forwards. Saying Sid and Tyler could take their minutes is a strong statement that the forwards need to step up to win playing time.
- Hurley continuing to anoint Josh as a starter and asking him to step up production.
- Hurley encouraging Brendan Adams -- crowded perimeter with Alterique, Jalen, Christian, Sid, and Tarin ahead of him, I think Hurley doesn't want him to get discouraged thinking that minutes will never materialize.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
The guy that's been really impressive for UConn? Sam Cassell Jr. Reads defenses really well and wants the ball. Just knows how to play.

I know it's almost 11am and I should be fully awake by now, but I'm only on my second cup of coffee and this post had me very worried about having entered an alternate reality.

Don't do that again, thanks!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I kind of hate myself for how much I am relying on AG, again, to be the missing piece. But no doubt I am.
Because he is the key piece to a successful season. I'm trying to adopt a watchful waiting mindset but the first good practice he has I'll be sucked in too. Just how it is.

Reaction Score
I know it's almost 11am and I should be fully awake by now, but I'm only on my second cup of coffee and this post had me very worried about having entered an alternate reality.

Don't do that again, thanks!

LOL My bad as that would scare me too.

Reaction Score
This man truly is one of a kind... keep him away from Jonathan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I kind of hate myself for how much I am relying on AG, again, to be the missing piece. But no doubt I am.

He's fine. I know people are reluctant, but what he had done should fix it, and likely would improve his shooting since he's been shooting with a bad shoulder for forever. Note Jon's comments of surprise on his shooting form.

Reaction Score
Last few tweets:

All last year, people were saying Sid was our second best player in practice, a real surprise, all that. I didn't go to any practices last year, so took it with a grain of salt.

Now he's not even on a predicted starters list? Something is odd with that kid.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
All last year, people were saying Sid was our second best player in practice, a real surprise, all that. I didn't go to any practices last year, so took it with a grain of salt.

Now he's not even on a predicted starters list? Something is odd with that kid.

I take most of the things Rothstein says with several grains of salt. Just saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom