Roscoe Leaving | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roscoe Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last week someone posted a secondhand rumor that they saw Drummond at a party and he was telling everyone that JC is retiring. Who knows, maybe that is true. Well we have another scholarship to offer for a huge, great class coming up soon to go along with the practice facility

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This one is surprising, and it stings... Bad.

The only good that can come of this is that the player who replaces him on the court late in games might know how many seconds are left on the clock.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Does this move make any sense from any kind of objective view? It has nothing to do with the tourney ban because he's sitting out a year either way. Scoe was prime to be the starting 4 this year, with 30+ minutes per game and a likely increased role in the offense. Seemed to be a solid UConn/JC guy through and through.

Something is not right about this

caw

Reaction Score
This is the first surprising transfer and the first that really hurts. Loved Scoe. I am glad that UConn let him out of his commitment though. Herbst said they would let anyone out that asked and they are. I hope Scoe can get a waiver to play next year.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
To everyone who's saying he has to sit out a year anyway, that's true, but he gets two more years after that if he transfers. That's not nothing.

Doesn't make me hate it any less.

Reaction Score
Maybe he is retiring after all, but I doubt it. I think this is just the result of a lot of upheaval from the rough season, tourney ban and the AO transfer. All these players leaving just gets the others guys thinking and looking for greener pastures.
This is probably a greener pastures decision. With all the turmoil it's really not a stretch to imagine a player like Roscoe who came in with high expectations, looking at his numbers and his role over the past 2 seasons, and likelihood of having to play the 4 for greater minutes than the 3 due to the depleted front court, I'm not completely shocked he's leaving.

With Wolf & Olander as out only 2 bigs, we're screwed unless they pick up a couple surprise recruits.

With so much PT opening up, I wonder if there is any shot at seeing if Bradley would reconsider staying. With Roscoe gone, and him knowing the offense and defense, there's plenty of PT for him to earn unless he's so far over his head at UConn, which I don't think is the case. Does anyone know if MB has found a new program yet? Also, doesn't he need to sit out yet another year if he transfers, though I imagine he'll get a waiver from the NCAA due to sitting out two seasons, one RS the other Injury. Not that you can tell a lot from a lay-up line, but he looked plenty athletic and skilled to play at this level. JC obviously saw something in him, though it wouldn't be the first time he brought in a big that didn't pan out.

If the plan was for the NCAA to set UConn back for a number of years, it might just be working. As long as there is no APR hit from any of these players, the team will be eligible for the 2014 NCAA tournament and the staff should have a compelling PT story to tell 2013 recruits. As long as they can manage to keep the core of next years team together (Bazz, Boat, Daniels, Omar, Olander, Giffey) and can add a few impact 2013 freshmen, they might be able to get back on track. What scares me is the 2013 class might take a wait and see how far this program will unravel and how long JC will be sticking around and end up elsewhere.

I still hold onto hope because every time it looks like the recruiting obstacles are insurmountable, JC and staff pull in another bumper crop. Who would have thought he'd be able to get all those 2011 recruits and that they'd turn out as good as they were to win NC #3. Who would have thought they would have landed Bazz after losing out on Hinds, or adding Daniels when we had a lot of wings on the roster? As long as JC is here, UCONN is written across the chest of the uniform and the fact that we are still part of one of the top major hoops conferences despite the defections, players will want to come here and I remain confident that UConn will sail through this NCAA storm.

Reaction Score
I think as much about RS wanting to play the 3 no chance at UConn.

I like him, good guy, but is a tweener at 3/4. If he wanted to play the 4 could have gotten major minutes, but thinks he's a 3 and wants to go somewhere to do that. I hive him virtually no chance to develop into a NBA level 3, no handle, no quickness, lousy perimeter game, low bball IQ.

But I wish him well and wish he would have enjoyed the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
Awful news, not sure what to say anymore, the NCAA got what they wanted. Roscoe was my favorite kid on the team, thanks NCAA for ruining everything.

Reaction Score
Okay NCAA, you screwed and gutted us enough. Now let us back in the tournament.

Reaction Score
This is not all about the APR. This shows much more about the breakdown in the relationship between JC and the staff and the players this year.

Yes. It also concerns me that potential newcomers may fear playing for JC now. If so many guys want out, it begs the question, why?

I think JC will stay a few years and right the ship but you could argue much better as of this morning that maybe its time to move on. If we lose one or two more guys, which won't surprise me now, it may take several years to bring the program back. At that point you have to look at who should be in charge.

Bottom line, we are either watching the beginning of JC's next amazing achievement or the end of his time at UConn. If I were Herbst I'd be looking for at least a four year commitment from him right now. If he won't commit, you have to look at your other options real hard. Uconn's success in basketball is paramount in conference realignment, donations and overall university growth. I am not loving the Ollie idea this morning.

Reaction Score
Of course they will now that we're staring at a 13-17 (5-14) season.
This is exactly how I saw this all playing out from the start. It's really pretty genius if you ask me:

1. The NCAA imposes a ridiculous retroactive rule by banning us from the tournament
2. Players transfer and/or leave early for the NBA because of said rule
3. NCAA reneges on the rule and allows UConn back in the tournament once the damage has been done
4. NCAA looks like the good guy for being lenient and UConn is still the bad guy for having bad academics
5. UConn misses the tournament anyway because of a lack of talent

The worst part of all is that we can see this happening right before our very eyes and yet we can do nothing about it.

Reaction Score
Okay NCAA, you screwed and gutted us enough. Now let us back in the tournament.

Are teams with 10 wins eligible?

Ban or not we are not sniffing the NIT let alone the NCAA

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think as much about RS wanting to play the 3 no chance at UConn.

I like him, good guy, but is a tweener at 3/4. If he wanted to play the 4 could have gotten major minutes, but thinks he's a 3 and wants to go somewhere to do that. I hive him virtually no chance to develop into a NBA level 3, no handle, no quickness, lousy perimeter game, low bball IQ.

But I wish him well and wish he would have enjoyed the last 2 years.

I think that his not wanting to be stuck playing the 4, a position he has little chance of playing professionally, is the one explanation that is the least worrisome. The other ones about JC retiring or the "breakdown of relationships" is more troublesome. No way for any kind of rebound if JC does not come out and say if he is coming back quickly.

Reaction Score
Yes. It also concerns me that potential newcomers may fear playing for JC now. If so many guys want out, it begs the question, why?
From the Championship team in 2011, we have lost, through transfer due to unhappiness with the coach/program,

AO - the starting center.
RS - the starting forward.
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel - 6th or 7th man.

The evidence supporting your concern that new players may fear playing for JC is strong.

If I was recruiting against JC, I'd certainly make a point of it - "you're going where? UConn? You did see that three guys from a championship team transferred out of that program within about a year of getting a NC ring, right? That's a sinking ship right there son. Come to ______."

Sucks, but that's the reality.

And it is NOT helping right now that JC has not much to say. He's got his own issues and own goals and he has the right to pick his time, in my opinion, but it's hard for me to conclude that silence from him regarding his future at UConn is, right now, the best thing for the program. He needs to steady the ship, one way or another.

Reaction Score
Are teams with 10 wins eligible?

Ban or not we are not sniffing the NIT let alone the NCAA
We won't make the NCAA Tournament, but the possibility may be enough to influence certain recruits to actually come here. That's more important than actually playing in it.

Reaction Score
I'll be the first one to say it, This one is squarely on JC. Benching Roscoe the first 2/3 of the season had to have an impact. To Roscoe's credit, he handled everything as well as anyone could ask. I hate to see him leave more than any other player, I wish him the best wherever he lands.

Reaction Score
I'll be the first one to say it, JC Fecundityed this one bad
I thought JC was making a choice right after the season ended? It has been over 2 weeks and we haven't heard anything. JC can you make a decision one way or the other so UCONN basketball can move forward. I still can't believe he came back last year as he was so at peace in the lobby of the Marriot Houston(after party) sitting with friends and ex-players and feeling that he had accomplished all he set out to do. It must of been an agonizing decision to come back for the kids. Now those same kids are abandoning him now when the going has got rough.

Reaction Score
we are quickly redefining worst case scenario. at this point, one has to wonder about the longlasting impact this can have the program. either, we become a kentucky and recruit the high ranking, one and done recruit or try to rebuild. the latter scenario will take some time and at this point, we have no margin for error on the next few recruiting classes. losing scoe is simply huge and now i fear more than ever, the transistion now from next year's ban to the overall future of uconn's program.

on scoe specifically, i have a hard time believing this had much to do with the apr. his minutes were way down and he is a perfect example of the growing disconnect between the kids and the coaching staff. a terrible year all around just got that much worse.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
This one doesn't surprise me.

The Back Court gets plenty of minutes next year. This is all about building the team for the post-Calhoun era in Fall 2014. The only other options are agoing after One and Dones for Fall 2013 which I rank as unlikely. It's never been UConn's fertile recruiting turf.

Fall 2014
Omar Calhoun (Junior)
Ryan Boatright (Senior)
Deandre Daniels (Senior)

Did I miss anyone?

Reaction Score
Lack of loyalty is really bothersome. I understand not being able to play in the NCAA tourney, but when you play for a team you stick with them through ups and downs. Really not a big fan of all these guys ditching the program
Lack of loyalty? How about when a school recruits over a players head? How about when the staff talks a player into transferring? The player should do what is in his own best interest because the school certainly will.
I suspect that this is more than simply missing the tournament next year; don't have a clue to what it is but there is something. As Buisness Lawyer said, this may well go to breakdown between the staff and the players.
The worst damn thing that happened was Drummond coming aboard. Nothing against him because he is talented and seems like a great kid but the line up sat players from a championship team so he could start. 3 of those players ended up transferring. I could see starting Drummond if we were winning with him in the lineup. We weren't.

Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy said on twitter a couple of weeks ago that he wouldn't be surprised if Roscoe leaves because of how unhappy he was with his minutes this year, don't think this has much to do with the APR/tourney ban mess.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a player I really liked, and who I thought could really play, transferring.

It's going to be difficult watching AO play for Missouri next year.
It's going to be harder watching Roscoe play for whoever for two years after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom