Rogue One

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Tommyboy, Apr 7, 2016.

1. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

I heard Vader had a hernia in IV, so that might be it.

2. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

They shouldn't write movies for nerds who read a novelized prequel though. When you cater to the nerds you never win. That being said, I thought the first scene was pretty important.

3. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Also, I've seen the movie twice now. Not only do I still think that they hit it out of the park, I liked it even better the second time through. If I somehow find the time to see it again it won't be in 3D.

I really didn't think that the first part was that slow. It was a pretty typical tempo for a Star Wars movie. 50% buildup and then a grand finale that seems to last for half the movie.

The final battle was great with action in space on the beach and in the tower simultaneously. They did a great job and the people making the Han Solo movie better be on their game because this movie set a pretty high target.

4. Excalibur

Excalibur

I think they got it right given the time constraints with Jyn and Galen. You got the basics -- he worked on the Death Star, apparently developed a moral objection, escaped, was found and captured and forced to return to complete the project while Jyn escaped. That's enough for most non-nerds to be invested in the connection and story. I thought that they could have done more to develop some relationship with Saw and Jyn. There is absolutely no connection there, and the story is kind of begging for it.

All in all, however, I liked Rogue One far more than The Force Awakens, which in hindsight seems like the equivalent of a Boneyard post looking for easy likes -- it was a giant nostalgia play but the more I watch it the more I see its flaws.

Brochacho likes this.
  5. FeedTheDove

FeedTheDove

You callin' me a nerd bruh?!

tzznandrew likes this.
  6. Excalibur

Excalibur

It's just one anecdote, but last night when I got home from my son's basketball practice I spoke with our babysitter, who is 17 and was watching our daughter. She had never seen any Star Wars movie before Rogue One. She thought it was absolutely phenomenal and asked to borrow our Episode I-VI box set so she could watch them all.

Beyond that, his entire video misses the point that even people who have never seen another Star Wars movie likely know what the Force is, know who Darth Vader is, and (slightly less likely), know what the Death Star is. The context he's looking for already exists, even for people unfamiliar with the franchise. So apparently he thinks it would be a good idea to spend an hour re-explaining all of this, which is why he's making snarky YouTube videos and not actually making movies . . .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

So here's the question, where does she start. I say go right to ANH (SW#4.) It follows so closely to the events of R1 so closely, nearly seamlessly, it just makes sense. (Plus, I hate the prequels.)

tzznandrew likes this.
  8. Excalibur

Excalibur

That's what I told her to do.

CL82 likes this.
  9. FeedTheDove

FeedTheDove

Not saying that you will, but please don't tell her the prequels are trash and that she shouldn't watch them. They have their own place in Star Wars. If you don't like 'em, fine. But don't ruin other's enjoyment of them just because you don't enjoy them.

Again, not accusing you of anything just annoyed by people writing off the prequels for new viewers trying to get into Star Wars. I grew up off the prequels. They're as important to me as the rest of the saga. I understand the criticisms of the films but the story is there, and it's important to understand.

Also I'm not turning this into a Prequel vs. OT discussion. I want to avoid that at all costs.

Edit: For the record, I would go 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 as well.

Don't forget 7!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    tzznandrew likes this.
  10. intlzncster

Did you instruct her how to watch them properly? ie I-III last, preferably while blindingly drunk.

EDIT: haha I just read the other replies.

8893 likes this.
  11. junglehusky

junglehusky Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness

Machete order!

tzznandrew likes this.
  12. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

Disney has to be admired for swinging for the fences in this movie. I was hoping for a ground rule double. But, Disney hit for the cycle.

13. coachcap

coachcap

So your recommendation is that he enable a 17 year old to get blindingly drunk? Oh boy!:confused:

Excalibur likes this.
  14. intlzncster

17 was a fine year for booze if I remember correctly heh heh

Depends on which part of the world you're from anyway.

15. Scalito

Scalito The Conceptual Pecker

Movie sucked

16. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

I liked it.

17. Scalito

I laughed more than once, out loud, at the movie. Best part of the movie for me was when teenagers in the theater started heckling it and my kid started snoring.

18. Scalito

Fair enough. To me, it was as bad or worse than Star Wars I. I'd say worse because they even ruined Darth Vader. It was like watching Dark Helmet.

19. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

It is extremely difficult to have the end of the story already written and then proceed to create a plausible story line with fully developed characters that have to coincide with that ending. Lucas failed on his last three Stars War movies in this process. Disney succeeded with 85% of Star Wars fans, me included.

Scalito likes this.
  20. Scalito

I'm glad others enjoyed it. I personally went in wanting to like it and just didn't. Whatchagonnado? If Star Wars VIII isn't any good, then I will be pissed.

21. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

So I totally forget this board is here sometimes and am glad I didn't remember until now. I wasn't able to get to the movie until the day after Christmas. Saw it in IMAX 3D and was not a fan of the experience. As others have said, the action scenes at times seemed blurry. Was no real reason to see in 3D. The only reason I even saw it in 3D was that the 2D show only had front row seats available while 3D had the majority of seats available when I was buying tix. (Side Note, having reserved seats is an amazing amenity at a movie theater! I love AMC in Plainville for this reason).

Since I wasn't able to see it until after XMas there was a a complete gag order in effect in my classroom. My 4th graders were pretty good abou not ruining it. Usually one of them spills the beans out in the hallway! The only thing they said was that they liked it but they weren't convinced it was better then Force Awakens. After seeing the movie I realized why they all felt that way.

They didn't like that all the characters died at the end. One student did say, after we got back from break, that they had to die because none of them were in any other movie, which I thought was pretty smart of that kid to pick up on.

Anyways. I thought it was a great story builder and really shed light on why the Death Star had its weak spot. It was great spotting Easter Eggs along the way and honestly, I never even picked up on the bad CGI. For awhile I really thought they found an actor who really looked like the guy in the Death Star who shall not be named for spoiler reasons??

Overall a great movie! Better then Force Awakens in my opinion.

22. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

[​IMG]

ZooCougar, CL82 and StoweD210 like this.
  23. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

One question I had was are they doing a movie between VIII and IV? I thought the plan was to make a non-main story line movie on the off years? However, the ending of Rogue One showed that it would need to be another stand alone movie. Maybe they are going to make a movie between Empire and ROTJ? Not sure if they would though because of the Book Shadows of the Empire. It's a solid book if anyone hasn't read it.

I really hate that they are abandoning the books. Sorry, they are placing it in an alternate timeline/universe or whatever they claimed they are doing with it!

24. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

Between VIII and IX there will be a young Han Solo solo film. And there are rumors that after IX there will be a Boba Fett film.

25. intlzncster

The Han one I get. Too easy.

But the Boba one wouldn't do it for me. They already gave enough of his back story that anything else we see probably isn't going to be that interesting.

Han's past is very much a mystery for non book readers. Part of why his character is interesting.

CL82 likes this.