Rogue One | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Rogue One

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I heard Vader had a hernia in IV, so that might be it.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that the characters could have been more developed. In fact, there were more Saw scenes filmed that were cut, and these were scenes where Saw was bald, i.e. when Jyn was a younger child. So, you're pretty spot on there.

This is going to be the challenge though, for the rest of the Star Wars stand alone films. They need to find a way to introduce new characters, provide them with the proper exposition so that we care about them, but also not bore us to hell in the first half of the movie. You're right, the story would have benefited if most of the main characters were expanded upon, the problem is that the movie doesn't have time for that. We'd likely end up with a 3-hour movie if each character was expanded upon properly. I'm fine with that, but no one else is.

The first half of R1 is already pretty slow, and is probably considered boring to most of the people who aren't interested in backstory/lore. Adding more exposition to that would be extremely difficult.

I don't agree with you that the early Jyn flashback scene should have been cut. As someone who read Catalyst before seeing the movie, I feel it is one of the most important scenes to explain her family's backstory and their connection to Krennic. If you read the book, the scene lines up pretty perfectly to where the story ends. I really enjoyed seeing that. For instance, in the book, Galen's wife Lyra HATES Krennic. Even when Galen and Krennic were working together, she couldn't stand him. It was awesome to see her point that gun at Krennic... as it was something I was waiting to see throughout the entire story of Catalyst.

They shouldn't write movies for nerds who read a novelized prequel though. When you cater to the nerds you never win. That being said, I thought the first scene was pretty important.

Reaction Score
Also, I've seen the movie twice now. Not only do I still think that they hit it out of the park, I liked it even better the second time through. If I somehow find the time to see it again it won't be in 3D.

I really didn't think that the first part was that slow. It was a pretty typical tempo for a Star Wars movie. 50% buildup and then a grand finale that seems to last for half the movie.

The final battle was great with action in space on the beach and in the tower simultaneously. They did a great job and the people making the Han Solo movie better be on their game because this movie set a pretty high target.

Reaction Score
I actually don't even think you need to expand on all their backstories. We got precious little about Han or Leia in A New Hope. Like I said earlier, the fact that they got little is, I think, a feature not a bug.

But the movie wanted us to like and care for the Jyn-Galen relationship, but didn't really do enough to earn it.

I think they got it right given the time constraints with Jyn and Galen. You got the basics -- he worked on the Death Star, apparently developed a moral objection, escaped, was found and captured and forced to return to complete the project while Jyn escaped. That's enough for most non-nerds to be invested in the connection and story. I thought that they could have done more to develop some relationship with Saw and Jyn. There is absolutely no connection there, and the story is kind of begging for it.

All in all, however, I liked Rogue One far more than The Force Awakens, which in hindsight seems like the equivalent of a Boneyard post looking for easy likes -- it was a giant nostalgia play but the more I watch it the more I see its flaws.

Reaction Score
So Mr. Plinkett makes a decent point, I think. If this movie were on its own, and if someone who had never seen or read any Star Wars stories watched this movie, would it really stand on its own? Without all of that context, maybe this is just a run of the mill sci-fi movie, at least in terms of story/character/emotion. I somewhat agree (the script does try to work emotion into the story... but then again so did the prequels), but obviously everyone will watch this with the full context of the original and prequel trilogy, and judge it in terms of providing a different type of Star Wars story.

It's just one anecdote, but last night when I got home from my son's basketball practice I spoke with our babysitter, who is 17 and was watching our daughter. She had never seen any Star Wars movie before Rogue One. She thought it was absolutely phenomenal and asked to borrow our Episode I-VI box set so she could watch them all.

Beyond that, his entire video misses the point that even people who have never seen another Star Wars movie likely know what the Force is, know who Darth Vader is, and (slightly less likely), know what the Death Star is. The context he's looking for already exists, even for people unfamiliar with the franchise. So apparently he thinks it would be a good idea to spend an hour re-explaining all of this, which is why he's making snarky YouTube videos and not actually making movies . . .

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's just one anecdote, but last night when I got home from my son's basketball practice I spoke with our babysitter, who is 17 and was watching our daughter. She had never seen any Star Wars movie before Rogue One. She thought it was absolutely phenomenal and asked to borrow our Episode I-VI box set so she could watch them all.

Beyond that, his entire video misses the point that even people who have never seen another Star Wars movie likely know what the Force is, know who Darth Vader is, and (slightly less likely), know what the Death Star is. The context he's looking for already exists, even for people unfamiliar with the franchise. So apparently he thinks it would be a good idea to spend an hour re-explaining all of this, which is why he's making snarky YouTube videos and not actually making movies . . .
So here's the question, where does she start. I say go right to ANH (SW#4.) It follows so closely to the events of R1 so closely, nearly seamlessly, it just makes sense. (Plus, I hate the prequels.)

Reaction Score
So here's the question, where does she start. I say go right to ANH (SW#4.) It follows so closely to the events of R1 so closely, nearly seamlessly, it just makes sense. (Plus, I hate the prequels.)

That's what I told her to do.

Reaction Score
That's what I told her to do.
Not saying that you will, but please don't tell her the prequels are trash and that she shouldn't watch them. They have their own place in Star Wars. If you don't like 'em, fine. But don't ruin other's enjoyment of them just because you don't enjoy them.

Again, not accusing you of anything just annoyed by people writing off the prequels for new viewers trying to get into Star Wars. I grew up off the prequels. They're as important to me as the rest of the saga. I understand the criticisms of the films but the story is there, and it's important to understand.

Also I'm not turning this into a Prequel vs. OT discussion. I want to avoid that at all costs.

Edit: For the record, I would go 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 as well.

Don't forget 7!

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Did you instruct her how to watch them properly? ie I-III last, preferably while blindingly drunk.

EDIT: haha I just read the other replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Disney has to be admired for swinging for the fences in this movie. I was hoping for a ground rule double. But, Disney hit for the cycle.

Reaction Score
Did you instruct her how to watch them properly? ie I-III last, preferably while blindingly drunk.

EDIT: haha I just read the other replies.
So your recommendation is that he enable a 17 year old to get blindingly drunk? Oh boy!:confused:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So your recommendation is that he enable a 17 year old to get blindingly drunk? Oh boy!:confused:

17 was a fine year for booze if I remember correctly heh heh

Depends on which part of the world you're from anyway.

Reaction Score
Disney has to be admired for swinging for the fences in this movie. I was hoping for a ground rule double. But, Disney hit for the cycle.

Movie sucked

Reaction Score
I'm guessing my initial suspicion is going to be correct: there's def going to be some cringe-worthy dialogue in there. That said, it looks good. Excited to see it.

I laughed more than once, out loud, at the movie. Best part of the movie for me was when teenagers in the theater started heckling it and my kid started snoring.

Reaction Score
I liked it.

Fair enough. To me, it was as bad or worse than Star Wars I. I'd say worse because they even ruined Darth Vader. It was like watching Dark Helmet.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Fair enough. To me, it was as bad or worse than Star Wars I. I'd say worse because they even ruined Darth Vader. It was like watching Dark Helmet.
It is extremely difficult to have the end of the story already written and then proceed to create a plausible story line with fully developed characters that have to coincide with that ending. Lucas failed on his last three Stars War movies in this process. Disney succeeded with 85% of Star Wars fans, me included.

Reaction Score
It is extremely difficult to have the end of the story already written and then proceed to create a plausible story line with fully developed characters that have to coincide with that ending. Lucas failed on his last three Stars War movies in this process. Disney succeeded with 85% of Star Wars fans, me included.

I'm glad others enjoyed it. I personally went in wanting to like it and just didn't. Whatchagonnado? If Star Wars VIII isn't any good, then I will be pissed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So I totally forget this board is here sometimes and am glad I didn't remember until now. I wasn't able to get to the movie until the day after Christmas. Saw it in IMAX 3D and was not a fan of the experience. As others have said, the action scenes at times seemed blurry. Was no real reason to see in 3D. The only reason I even saw it in 3D was that the 2D show only had front row seats available while 3D had the majority of seats available when I was buying tix. (Side Note, having reserved seats is an amazing amenity at a movie theater! I love AMC in Plainville for this reason).

Since I wasn't able to see it until after XMas there was a a complete gag order in effect in my classroom. My 4th graders were pretty good abou not ruining it. Usually one of them spills the beans out in the hallway! The only thing they said was that they liked it but they weren't convinced it was better then Force Awakens. After seeing the movie I realized why they all felt that way.

They didn't like that all the characters died at the end. One student did say, after we got back from break, that they had to die because none of them were in any other movie, which I thought was pretty smart of that kid to pick up on.

Anyways. I thought it was a great story builder and really shed light on why the Death Star had its weak spot. It was great spotting Easter Eggs along the way and honestly, I never even picked up on the bad CGI. For awhile I really thought they found an actor who really looked like the guy in the Death Star who shall not be named for spoiler reasons??

Overall a great movie! Better then Force Awakens in my opinion.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So, I finally saw Rogue 1. It was very good movie IMO.

1) I was pleasantly surprised that they let the raid participants die off. It made the sacrifice real and shows the importance of the info that was lodged in R2D2. That adds to A New Hope. (Oh and for what it is worth, the title A New Hope gets a little more meaning with the "rebellions are built on hope" quote.)

2) Who were the Bothians? Did I miss that? Did they ever say?

3) Finally we see why the Jedi were effective peace keepers and why the Sith were feared enemies. Watching Vader go through Rebel troops like a hot knife through butter was pretty freaking cool. Up to now force users really haven't been all that impressive. Blah, blah, blah... force lightning, quick reflexes, jumping ability, Jedi mind trick... yawn. Vader was the real deal swatting those guys like flies!
I enjoyed it. Kudos to Disney for not just letting the franchise be a marketing opportunity for kids' toys (yeah, I'm looking at you Ewoks.)
bothans-die-in-shadows-of-empire.jpg

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
One question I had was are they doing a movie between VIII and IV? I thought the plan was to make a non-main story line movie on the off years? However, the ending of Rogue One showed that it would need to be another stand alone movie. Maybe they are going to make a movie between Empire and ROTJ? Not sure if they would though because of the Book Shadows of the Empire. It's a solid book if anyone hasn't read it.

I really hate that they are abandoning the books. Sorry, they are placing it in an alternate timeline/universe or whatever they claimed they are doing with it!

Reaction Score
One question I had was are they doing a movie between VIII and IV? I thought the plan was to make a non-main story line movie on the off years? However, the ending of Rogue One showed that it would need to be another stand alone movie. Maybe they are going to make a movie between Empire and ROTJ? Not sure if they would though because of the Book Shadows of the Empire. It's a solid book if anyone hasn't read it.

I really hate that they are abandoning the books. Sorry, they are placing it in an alternate timeline/universe or whatever they claimed they are doing with it!
Between VIII and IX there will be a young Han Solo solo film. And there are rumors that after IX there will be a Boba Fett film.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Between VIII and IX there will be a young Han Solo solo film. And there are rumors that after IX there will be a Boba Fett film.

The Han one I get. Too easy.

But the Boba one wouldn't do it for me. They already gave enough of his back story that anything else we see probably isn't going to be that interesting.

Han's past is very much a mystery for non book readers. Part of why his character is interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom