Rogue One | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Rogue One

Reaction Score
Han's past is very much a mystery for non book readers. Part of why his character is interesting.
I think this fact is why I worry about the film.

I don't want an origin story. I'd be happy to watch either a) Indiana Jones in Space, or b) some sort of caper film with Han and Lando.

As for Boba Fett, it could be a Shadows of the Empire adaptation, a film that's between RotJ and TFA, since in the original EU he escaped the Sarlaac (though fell back in at least once), or some Bounty Hunter movie that takes place between Clone Wars and A New Hope. The first two would be preferable, but given the right plot the third one could work for me too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think this fact is why I worry about the film.

I don't want an origin story. I'd be happy to watch either a) Indiana Jones in Space, or b) some sort of caper film with Han and Lando.

Haha that's funny. Fair enough, an origin story would probably take a lot of shine off of the character/mythos of Han.

For me, Boba was my favorite character when I was young, but I don't think I'm emotionally invested in the guy whatsoever. Perhaps they could 'make it so' for me. Dunno.

What I would love, is some Jedi mythology/history/origin stories. Exploration of Dark vs Light etc. A lot could be done with that, if executed properly, and it's probably the most interesting part of the Star Wars Universe most people (Force/Jedi).

Reaction Score
Haha that's funny. Fair enough, an origin story would probably take a lot of shine off of the character/mythos of Han.

For me, Boba was my favorite character when I was young, but I don't think I'm emotionally invested in the guy whatsoever. Perhaps they could 'make it so' for me. Dunno.

What I would love, is some Jedi mythology/history/origin stories. Exploration of Dark vs Light etc. A lot could be done with that, if executed properly, and it's probably the most interesting part of the Star Wars Universe most people (Force/Jedi).
I agree here. They have to have some guts, though, and just have a story that takes place way before or way after the 60 or so years they are currently exploring. The Republic stood for 1000s of years. Show us Dark vs. Light in a new way with all new characters. They tried that with video games (Knights of the Old Republic) and it has been, in general, a huge success.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm not interested in a Han Solo story/movie. I'd obviously go see it but I feel there are other aspects they could tackle. Why not make a movie between Empire and ROTJ? Like I said, I know the book exists but it didn't tackle the Death Star aspect as much from what I recall (It's been a long time since I read Shadows).

I like the notion of doing a story that involves the final struggles of the Jedi as they got wiped out by the Sith/Empire. I think they could be wildly successful with that.

I'd love a Wedge Antilles Rogue Squadron movie as well. That series of books was my favorite of all the books that were written. Between Wedge and Corran Horn they could make a hell of a movie. Once again, this would require some acknowledgement of the books in the timeline and go against what they have stated before making the recent series of movies. I just think the Rogue Squadron series was excellent and could make a hell of a movie. The dogfights in the movie alone would be epic.

Reaction Score
I'd love a Wedge Antilles Rogue Squadron movie as well. That series of books was my favorite of all the books that were written. Between Wedge and Corran Horn they could make a hell of a movie. Once again, this would require some acknowledgement of the books in the timeline and go against what they have stated before making the recent series of movies. I just think the Rogue Squadron series was excellent and could make a hell of a movie. The dogfights in the movie alone would be epic.
Honestly, they threw out the exact details, but they're clearly doing that the create space for their writers and clear dreck not necessarily eliminate well done characters. I don't watch the show, but know that Grand Admiral Thrawn was in Rebels,

thrawn-zahn-tall-1536x864-145742485579.jpg

and so I would be very surprised if someone like Mara Jade didn't make an appearance, for instance. While much of the EU was weak, there's enough good stuff out there that the filmmakers and new canon novelists should mine. Would have been easy and cool to have a little easter egg canonizing Horn, for instance, in Rogue One.

I suspect they'll continue to mine the EU for stories and characters. They'd be dumb not to.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. To me, it was as bad or worse than Star Wars I. I'd say worse because they even ruined Darth Vader. It was like watching Dark Helmet.

Disagree. That scene at the end of the movie made up for a lot of Anakin whininess in Eps 1-3.

Rogue One: Making Vader Great Again

Reaction Score
Disagree. That scene at the end of the movie made up for a lot of Anakin whininess in Eps 1-3.

Yeah, I have to say, not sure how the movie ruined Vader. That last scene was pretty awesome in my book, and the previous one was fine.

Reaction Score

Seems like I am in the minority on this. What was the tough guy line they fed him? Don't choke on your ambition or something. The whole thing seemed forced to me and poorly setup. It's when I started chuckling at the movie.

Was it James Earl Jones as the voice? Everything about him just seemed off ever so slightly to me.

Reaction Score
Seems like I am in the minority on this. What was the tough guy line they fed him? Don't choke on your ambition or something. The whole thing seemed forced to me and poorly setup. It's when I started chuckling at the movie.

Was it James Earl Jones as the voice? Everything about him just seemed off ever so slightly to me.

It was Jones, and I also noticed what you're talking about. It could be that he's just getting old and can't do the voice as well as he used to.

The little snarky "don't choke on your ambition" did bother some people, as it did with you. It's worth pointing out that Vader does have a history of being snarky, though, especially while choking people. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :D

Reaction Score
It was Jones, and I also noticed what you're talking about. It could be that he's just getting old and can't do the voice as well as he used to.

The little snarky "don't choke on your ambition" did bother some people, as it did with you. It's worth pointing out that Vader does have a history of being snarky, though, especially while choking people. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :D

Reaction Score

I think it was unwise of them to include Vader during a time frame we knew him from unless they could make him exactly the same. That might be why I loved the final minutes of him in the prequels and disliked him in Rogue One. Differences in appearance and sound are okay if it's years before Star Wars . . . .

Reaction Score
That might be why I loved the final minutes of him in the prequels and disliked him in Rogue One. Differences in appearance and sound are okay if it's years before Star Wars . . . .

I suppose we could settle for a compromise of sorts...?

Reaction Score
I read that the Boba Fett movie is probably going to be a movie based on the bounty hunters as a whole.

I would rather have a Vader movie than a Solo movie but I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with. They definitely picked the right actor for it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I want the definitive Yoda movie, starting with Yoda being raised by .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not saying that you will, but please don't tell her the prequels are trash and that she shouldn't watch them. They have their own place in Star Wars. If you don't like 'em, fine. But don't ruin other's enjoyment of them just because you don't enjoy them.

Again, not accusing you of anything just annoyed by people writing off the prequels for new viewers trying to get into Star Wars. I grew up off the prequels. They're as important to me as the rest of the saga. I understand the criticisms of the films but the story is there, and it's important to understand.

Also I'm not turning this into a Prequel vs. OT discussion. I want to avoid that at all costs.

Edit: For the record, I would go 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 as well.

Don't forget 7!

For people like me (I was 10 when Star Wars came out) the damning aspect of the prequels was how good they could have been. Really, it's almost a better story line and Lucas just mangled it with utter incompetence. Both actors chosen for Anakin were dreadful. Natalie Portman was ok, and looked good in the white spacesuit. The other costumes were stupid. Liam Neesom and McGregor were good choices actually. But all were limited because the screenwriting was terrible...like straight to video low budget no-star terrible. They spent almost an hour on a kid winning a pod race in #1. Really?

I would go 5, 4, 7, 6, 2, 3, 1.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I read that the Boba Fett movie is probably going to be a movie based on the bounty hunters as a whole.

I would rather have a Vader movie than a Solo movie but I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with. They definitely picked the right actor for it.

They made 3 Vader backstory movies, but you'd be forgiven for not thinking of them that way.

Reaction Score
For people like me (I was 10 when Star Wars came out) the damning aspect of the prequels was how good they could have been. Really, it's almost a better story line and Lucas just mangled it with utter incompetence. Both actors chosen for Anakin were dreadful. Natalie Portman was ok, and looked good in the white spacesuit. The other costumes were stupid. Liam Neesom and McGregor were good choices actually. But all were limited because the screenwriting was terrible...like straight to video low budget no-star terrible. They spent almost an hour on a kid winning a pod race in #1. Really?

I would go 5, 4, 7, 6, 2, 3, 1.

I remember after Episode II Lewis Black claimed that he had discovered what the Force is -- it's the ability to recite cheesy lines without cracking up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They all sucked. Technically they were Anakin movies.

And Anakin is Vader. So my point about those movies is confirmed. You are here saying..."I could really go for a cool Vader backstory movie"...and they made three that were so bad you feel like you didn't even get one. Yet Vader's backstory is possibly the single most interesting aspect of the whole Star Wars universe. Ugh.

Reaction Score
And Anakin is Vader. So my point about those movies is confirmed. You are here saying..."I could really go for a cool Vader backstory movie"...and they made three that were so bad you feel like you didn't even get one. Yet Vader's backstory is possibly the single most interesting aspect of the whole Star Wars universe. Ugh.

Not sure if you're arguing with me but, It could have been the most interesting thing. But it wasn't.

I'd make a Vader movie that takes places between 4 and 5, put him in the Emperor's doghouse after the death star goes down.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Then logically, the bounty hunter movie should really be the Solo movie.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yet Vader's backstory is possibly the single most interesting aspect of the whole Star Wars universe. Ugh.

Hey, I already told you what was the most interesting aspect in the whole Star Wars universe. It's the 'Jedi mythology/history/origin stories. Exploration of Dark vs Light etc.' Pay attention.

Rogue One

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom