Rogue One

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Tommyboy, Apr 7, 2016.

1. junglehusky

junglehusky Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness

Machete order!

tzznandrew likes this.
  2. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

Disney has to be admired for swinging for the fences in this movie. I was hoping for a ground rule double. But, Disney hit for the cycle.

3. coachcap

coachcap

So your recommendation is that he enable a 17 year old to get blindingly drunk? Oh boy!:confused:

Excalibur likes this.
  4. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

17 was a fine year for booze if I remember correctly heh heh

Depends on which part of the world you're from anyway.

5. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

Movie sucked

6. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

I liked it.

7. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

I laughed more than once, out loud, at the movie. Best part of the movie for me was when teenagers in the theater started heckling it and my kid started snoring.

8. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

Fair enough. To me, it was as bad or worse than Star Wars I. I'd say worse because they even ruined Darth Vader. It was like watching Dark Helmet.

9. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

It is extremely difficult to have the end of the story already written and then proceed to create a plausible story line with fully developed characters that have to coincide with that ending. Lucas failed on his last three Stars War movies in this process. Disney succeeded with 85% of Star Wars fans, me included.

Scalito likes this.
  10. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

I'm glad others enjoyed it. I personally went in wanting to like it and just didn't. Whatchagonnado? If Star Wars VIII isn't any good, then I will be pissed.

11. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

So I totally forget this board is here sometimes and am glad I didn't remember until now. I wasn't able to get to the movie until the day after Christmas. Saw it in IMAX 3D and was not a fan of the experience. As others have said, the action scenes at times seemed blurry. Was no real reason to see in 3D. The only reason I even saw it in 3D was that the 2D show only had front row seats available while 3D had the majority of seats available when I was buying tix. (Side Note, having reserved seats is an amazing amenity at a movie theater! I love AMC in Plainville for this reason).

Since I wasn't able to see it until after XMas there was a a complete gag order in effect in my classroom. My 4th graders were pretty good abou not ruining it. Usually one of them spills the beans out in the hallway! The only thing they said was that they liked it but they weren't convinced it was better then Force Awakens. After seeing the movie I realized why they all felt that way.

They didn't like that all the characters died at the end. One student did say, after we got back from break, that they had to die because none of them were in any other movie, which I thought was pretty smart of that kid to pick up on.

Anyways. I thought it was a great story builder and really shed light on why the Death Star had its weak spot. It was great spotting Easter Eggs along the way and honestly, I never even picked up on the bad CGI. For awhile I really thought they found an actor who really looked like the guy in the Death Star who shall not be named for spoiler reasons??

Overall a great movie! Better then Force Awakens in my opinion.

12. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

[​IMG]

ZooCougar, CL82 and StoweD210 like this.
  13. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

One question I had was are they doing a movie between VIII and IV? I thought the plan was to make a non-main story line movie on the off years? However, the ending of Rogue One showed that it would need to be another stand alone movie. Maybe they are going to make a movie between Empire and ROTJ? Not sure if they would though because of the Book Shadows of the Empire. It's a solid book if anyone hasn't read it.

I really hate that they are abandoning the books. Sorry, they are placing it in an alternate timeline/universe or whatever they claimed they are doing with it!

14. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

Between VIII and IX there will be a young Han Solo solo film. And there are rumors that after IX there will be a Boba Fett film.

15. intlzncster

The Han one I get. Too easy.

But the Boba one wouldn't do it for me. They already gave enough of his back story that anything else we see probably isn't going to be that interesting.

Han's past is very much a mystery for non book readers. Part of why his character is interesting.

CL82 likes this.
  16. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

I think this fact is why I worry about the film.

I don't want an origin story. I'd be happy to watch either a) Indiana Jones in Space, or b) some sort of caper film with Han and Lando.

As for Boba Fett, it could be a Shadows of the Empire adaptation, a film that's between RotJ and TFA, since in the original EU he escaped the Sarlaac (though fell back in at least once), or some Bounty Hunter movie that takes place between Clone Wars and A New Hope. The first two would be preferable, but given the right plot the third one could work for me too.

17. intlzncster

Haha that's funny. Fair enough, an origin story would probably take a lot of shine off of the character/mythos of Han.

For me, Boba was my favorite character when I was young, but I don't think I'm emotionally invested in the guy whatsoever. Perhaps they could 'make it so' for me. Dunno.

What I would love, is some Jedi mythology/history/origin stories. Exploration of Dark vs Light etc. A lot could be done with that, if executed properly, and it's probably the most interesting part of the Star Wars Universe most people (Force/Jedi).

CL82 likes this.
  18. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

I agree here. They have to have some guts, though, and just have a story that takes place way before or way after the 60 or so years they are currently exploring. The Republic stood for 1000s of years. Show us Dark vs. Light in a new way with all new characters. They tried that with video games (Knights of the Old Republic) and it has been, in general, a huge success.

intlzncster likes this.
  19. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

Honestly I'm not interested in a Han Solo story/movie. I'd obviously go see it but I feel there are other aspects they could tackle. Why not make a movie between Empire and ROTJ? Like I said, I know the book exists but it didn't tackle the Death Star aspect as much from what I recall (It's been a long time since I read Shadows).

I like the notion of doing a story that involves the final struggles of the Jedi as they got wiped out by the Sith/Empire. I think they could be wildly successful with that.

I'd love a Wedge Antilles Rogue Squadron movie as well. That series of books was my favorite of all the books that were written. Between Wedge and Corran Horn they could make a hell of a movie. Once again, this would require some acknowledgement of the books in the timeline and go against what they have stated before making the recent series of movies. I just think the Rogue Squadron series was excellent and could make a hell of a movie. The dogfights in the movie alone would be epic.

20. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

Honestly, they threw out the exact details, but they're clearly doing that the create space for their writers and clear dreck not necessarily eliminate well done characters. I don't watch the show, but know that Grand Admiral Thrawn was in Rebels,

[​IMG]

and so I would be very surprised if someone like Mara Jade didn't make an appearance, for instance. While much of the EU was weak, there's enough good stuff out there that the filmmakers and new canon novelists should mine. Would have been easy and cool to have a little easter egg canonizing Horn, for instance, in Rogue One.

I suspect they'll continue to mine the EU for stories and characters. They'd be dumb not to.

21. iri10

iri10

Disagree. That scene at the end of the movie made up for a lot of Anakin whininess in Eps 1-3.

Rogue One: Making Vader Great Again

CL82 and Scalito like this.
  22. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

Yeah, I have to say, not sure how the movie ruined Vader. That last scene was pretty awesome in my book, and the previous one was fine.

CL82 and HuskyHawk like this.
  23. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

Seems like I am in the minority on this. What was the tough guy line they fed him? Don't choke on your ambition or something. The whole thing seemed forced to me and poorly setup. It's when I started chuckling at the movie.

Was it James Earl Jones as the voice? Everything about him just seemed off ever so slightly to me.

24. iri10

iri10

It was Jones, and I also noticed what you're talking about. It could be that he's just getting old and can't do the voice as well as he used to.

The little snarky "don't choke on your ambition" did bother some people, as it did with you. It's worth pointing out that Vader does have a history of being snarky, though, especially while choking people. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :D

tzznandrew and Scalito like this.
  25. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

junglehusky, iri10 and Scalito like this.
  26. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

Never gets old.

tzznandrew likes this.
  27. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

I think it was unwise of them to include Vader during a time frame we knew him from unless they could make him exactly the same. That might be why I loved the final minutes of him in the prequels and disliked him in Rogue One. Differences in appearance and sound are okay if it's years before Star Wars . . . .

28. iri10

iri10

I suppose we could settle for a compromise of sorts...?

CL82 likes this.
  29. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

I read that the Boba Fett movie is probably going to be a movie based on the bounty hunters as a whole.

I would rather have a Vader movie than a Solo movie but I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with. They definitely picked the right actor for it.

intlzncster and tzznandrew like this.
  30. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

I want the definitive Yoda movie, starting with Yoda being raised by Scalito.

Scalito likes this.