Rodney Purvis- Transferring (BREAKING NEWS) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis- Transferring (BREAKING NEWS)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

why wasn't DeAndre a McD AA?

10th best player in the country?

Reaction Score
why wasn't DeAndre a McD AA?

10th best player in the country?

He was ranked 10th by Rivals but somewhere in the 30's by Scout. Most recruiting sites did not have him in the top 24, so it's no surprise he wasn't a McD's All-American. He would have been eligible, just not good enough. While he had a strong turnaround this past season, I wouldn't say his freshman performance would have proven anyone wrong that didn't vote him a McD AA.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Any idea when Purvis will make his announcement? The longer the silence, the more I'm thinking UK or another program might slip in..... He'd be a HUGE get for our program, especially in the chaotic state of CBB realignment which made us the "red headed step child"

Purvis reminds me of a better version of Dyson (I know he's not really popular here at the Yard) but you can't argue that if Dyson didn't go down in 2009, we'd beat MichST....not so sure about that stacked NC team tho.

Reaction Score
Any idea when Purvis will make his announcement? The longer the silence, the more I'm thinking UK or another program might slip in..... He'd be a HUGE get for our program, especially in the chaotic state of CBB realignment which made us the "red headed step child"

Purvis reminds me of a better version of Dyson (I know he's not really popular here at the Yard) but you can't argue that if Dyson didn't go down in 2009, we'd beat MichST....not so sure about that stacked NC team tho.

Not sure he has even been released from his scholarship yet, which explains the silence.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Not sure he has even been released from his scholarship yet, which explains the silence.

Ahhh very true

Reaction Score
Same situation as Caron and Andre!! They both would have been McD's AA

Right on for Caron - Played 5 years of High School Ball, 5th year was Post Graduate in Maine. 5th year made him ineligible for McD's.

Drummond only played 4 years of High School Ball, so he would have been eligible, except he didn't reclassify until later. I'm not even sure if he was considered reclassified since he didn't play his final year of eligibility, rather than graduate.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think all told we've had Rudy, AO, Kemba, Rip, Hazelton, Charlie V, Khalid, Taliek, and Donyell...
So nine in our history? I think UK, Duke, and UNC had nine each on their rosters this year....Those schools don't recruit, they order. Would you like fries with that All American?

Reaction Score
So nine in our history? I think UK, Duke, and UNC had nine each on their rosters this year....Those schools don't recruit, they order. Would you like fries with that All American?
Yeah, well none of them have 3 national championships since 1999. So there!

Reaction Score
Right on for Caron - Played 5 years of High School Ball, 5th year was Post Graduate in Maine. 5th year made him ineligible for McD's.

Drummond only played 4 years of High School Ball, so he would have been eligible, except he didn't reclassify until later. I'm not even sure if he was considered reclassified since he didn't play his final year of eligibility, rather than graduate.

Andre didn't reclassify and pick UConn until late August 2011, AFTER the 2011 McD's game. At the time of the 2011 game it was unclear if he would stay at STM-he did spend two years there in addition to two at Capital Prep. I think that because he was on track to spend 5 years in HS he was ineligible for the 2011 game.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance at all some strings could get pulled for Purvis to play this season?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is there any chance at all some strings could get pulled for Purvis to play this season?

If you're his grandmother and you're on your deathbed, then we have a chance.

If you're not, it becomes quite a bit more challenging....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Not exactly.

Post-grads/5th year seniors were eligible, but you were only permitted to be nominated to the game once - Caron was nominated as a senior and therefore could not be nominated a second time.

Reaction Score
Not exactly.
Post-grads/5th year seniors were eligible, but you were only permitted to be nominated to the game once - Caron was nominated as a senior and therefore could not be nominated a second time.

I'm sure if he was nominated out of high school in Racine, but he wasn't eligible after graduating from Maine Central Institute, his Post Grad Year, which was my point. Technically anyone can be nonimated, even if you're not good and I'm not saying that about Caron.

I've not known for the criteria to have changed, but these are the eligibility requirements.
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/gamescenter/Team-Selection-Process.html
The selection criteria to be named to the McDonald’s All American Games Team adheres to the rules and regulations of the National High School Federation which states that once a student/athlete enters his/her ninth grade year, he/she has four consecutive years to complete his/her high school eligibility. Therefore, fifth-year players are not eligible to participate in the McDonald’s All American High School Basketball Games.

Reaction Score
Andre didn't reclassify and pick UConn until late August 2011, AFTER the 2011 McD's game. At the time of the 2011 game it was unclear if he would stay at STM-he did spend two years there in addition to two at Capital Prep. I think that because he was on track to spend 5 years in HS he was ineligible for the 2011 game.

Correct. In 2010-2011 Academic year, Andre was still a Junior. I believe he repeated his Freshman year, though I could be wrong. So for the 2011 McDonald's All American game, he wasn't eligible because he was technically still a Junior. Once summer came, he completed his necessary credits to have graduated, so he never really had a Senior year. If he had reclassified before the 2010-2011 Academic Year, he would have most definitely been chosen for the 2011 McDonald's All American game. All about timing.

Reaction Score
Dont forget about our first one, Corny Thompson.

Reaction Score
Correct. In 2010-2011 Academic year, Andre was still a Junior. I believe he repeated his Freshman year, though I could be wrong. So for the 2011 McDonald's All American game, he wasn't eligible because he was technically still a Junior. Once summer came, he completed his necessary credits to have graduated, so he never really had a Senior year. If he had reclassified before the 2010-2011 Academic Year, he would have most definitely been chosen for the 2011 McDonald's All American game. All about timing.
That's why Andrew Wiggins reclassified when he did. He did it to make sure he could play in this years game and be an All-American.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure if he was nominated out of high school in Racine, but he wasn't eligible after graduating from Maine Central Institute, his Post Grad Year, which was my point. Technically anyone can be nonimated, even if you're not good and I'm not saying that about Caron.

I've not known for the criteria to have changed, but these are the eligibility requirements.
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/gamescenter/Team-Selection-Process.html
The selection criteria to be named to the McDonald’s All American Games Team adheres to the rules and regulations of the National High School Federation which states that once a student/athlete enters his/her ninth grade year, he/she has four consecutive years to complete his/her high school eligibility. Therefore, fifth-year players are not eligible to participate in the McDonald’s All American High School Basketball Games.
[/quote]

You're mistaken.

Fifth-year players were not always restricted - Charlie Villanueva, for example.

Caron would have been eligible and would have made the McD's game coming out of MCI -- but, again, at the time, you could only be nominated to the game once and Caron's high school had nominated him the year prior.

His status as a fifth-year player had no impact - the rules weren't changed until 2009.

Reaction Score

You're mistaken.

Fifth-year players were not always restricted - Charlie Villanueva, for example.

Caron would have been eligible and would have made the McD's game coming out of MCI -- but, again, at the time, you could only be nominated to the game once and Caron's high school had nominated him the year prior.

His status as a fifth-year player had no impact - the rules weren't changed until 2009.[/quote]

Charlie Villanueva was not a fifth year player. He played 4 years of high school basketball. From wiki, if you need a reference.

During his freshman year, Villanueva attended Newtown High School in Queens, New York, where he was a teammate of future NBA player Smush Parker. He spent his next three years at Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey, where he played with another future NBA player, Luol Deng. Villanueva received All-American honors as a senior and was named New Jersey Co-Player of the Year.

There are other instances where other 5th year players were not eligible to play in the McDonalds All American game. If he was nominated the prior year to MCI, that is too "yet" another reason he wasn't eligible for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom