RJ Cole to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Couldn't have been Dom Perno; he was supposed to be a nice guy. However, Chuck joined UConn towards Perno's end ...
No, he didn't. Chuck joined in Perno's prime, his 4th year of a 9 year stint. In fact, landing Chuck was the height of Perno's UConn tenure. It was all downhill from there. Much of it due to Chuck.

I think Chuck's turn is just a matter of his trying to cash in on UK's current hoop cache.

Reaction Score
No, he didn't. Chuck joined in Perno's prime, his 4th year of a 9 year stint. In fact, landing Chuck was the height of Perno's UConn tenure. It was all downhill from there.
Clearly, my memories of Chuck are immemorable. On the other hand, it's challenging to identify a transfer to UConn who had a massive positive influence for the Huskies. Chuck was massive.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Clearly, my memories of Chuck are immemorable. On the other hand, it's challenging to identify a transfer to UConn who had a massive positive influence for the Huskies. Chuck was massive.
My first memory of him was walking behind him getting dinner at Putnam. I'm a relatively tall guy but I was looking at his shoulder blades. Like I said though, he was a great guy,.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My memory is fixed on him charging into David Russell to blow the BET game in the HCC.

Reaction Score
I remember being on the court with him as a skinny teenager, he is a monster.

Reaction Score
No, he didn't. Chuck joined in Perno's prime, his 4th year of a 9 year stint. In fact, landing Chuck was the height of Perno's UConn tenure. It was all downhill from there. Much of it due to Chuck.

I think Chuck's turn is just a matter of his trying to cash in on UK's current hoop cache.

When you think about Perno landing Corny Thompson as well, people around the country must have been shocked.

While those teams underperformed, people tend to forget that UConn finished in the upper half of the league for several years when the Big East started, and it didn't go to the bottom until the mid to late 1980s.

Reaction Score
When you think about Perno landing Corny Thompson as well, people around the country must have been shocked.

While those teams underperformed, people tend to forget that UConn finished in the upper half of the league for several years when the Big East started, and it didn't go to the bottom until the mid to late 1980s.
Mike McKay, state kid from Harding High, was also on the team. Pure scorer in HS who ended up having a decent collegiate career.UConn had a nice team during the Alexinas, Thompson ,McKay years.

CL82

Reaction Score
Also, Norm Bailey. Vern Giscome and Jimmy Sullivan. It was a solid squad. As I've said before, I wonder what Jim Calhoun would have done with those guys. It was an impressive front court.

Reaction Score

When I was a kid I would describe Boeheim as a Perno with talent

Reaction Score
Mike McKay, state kid from Harding High, was also on the team. Pure scorer in HS who ended up having a decent collegiate career.UConn had a nice team during the Alexinas, Thompson ,McKay years.
Al McGuire said he wasn’t surprised a homebody kid like Corny went to UConn but was “shocked the McKay kid did.”

Reaction Score
Also, Norm Bailey. Vern Giscome and Jimmy Sullivan. It was a solid squad. As I've said before, I wonder what Jim Calhoun would have done with those guys. It was an impressive front court.

Bob Dulin transferred in from Penn State about the same time. Was a three year starter with the Alexinas, Thompson, etc teams.
He left quite a mark at UConn and then after leaving.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bob Dulin transferred in from Penn State about the same time. Was a three year starter with the Alexinas, Thompson, etc teams.
Red Auerbach thought Vern Giscombe was a good player. But Perno kept him pinned to the bench in favor of Dules. I got hacked by Giscombe in an adult league game once and he didn't argue the call. That was a career highlight. Went 1-2 from the stripe.

CL82

Reaction Score
Red Auerbach thought Vern Giscombe was a good player. But Perno kept him pinned to the bench in favor of Dules. I got hacked by Giscombe in an adult league game once and he didn't argue the call. That was a career highlight. Went 1-2 from the stripe.
He wasn't the best defender. (Also a great guy though!) Still, I think Calhoun would have used him in a Rashad Anderson (or John Gywnn) type role.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Great addition for next year!
I saw a tweet last night but don’t see it now. Here is the title if the Courant article:
Meet RJ Cole: Things to know about the newest UConn men’s player

Mature player who will help train the new recruits while building for next year

Reaction Score
Dom is a great guy. I know him personally.
While Dom Perno is a really nice guy but he was a lousy coach. He was my freshman coach at South Catholic High in Hartford and we were like 4/16 and the very next year with almost the same team we went 15/5 with Gary Paladino ( U.of Hartford coach ) as our JV coach and of course there was the legendary Joe Reilly who coached varsity. And Perno was with out a doubt the least talented and knowledgeable of the 3 and it wasn't even close. Makes you wonder how KO and Perno got the job... we are sooooooo lucky to have had JC all these years.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
While Dom Perno is a really nice guy but he was a lousy coach. He was my freshman coach at South Catholic High in Hartford and we were like 4/16 and the very next year with almost the same team we went 15/5 with Gary Paladino ( U.of Hartford coach ) as our JV coach and of course there was the legendary Joe Reilly who coached varsity. And Perno was with out a doubt the least talented and knowledgeable of the 3 and it wasn't even close. Makes you wonder how KO and Perno got the job... we are sooooooo lucky to have had JC all these years.

Gary lived in Forestville, same as me. We attended the same schools, although he was much older, so I didn't know him.

Dom coached at St. Paul's in Bristol before he was hired as an assistant coach on Dee Rowe's staff at UCONN. When Rowe decided to retire from coaching in the late 1970's, UCONN promoted Dom to head coach. We haven't had great success with promoting assistants.

Reaction Score
He left quite a mark at UConn and then after leaving.

Dulin was a nice player but the fact they didn't have impact guards was the only reason they didn't achieve more. I always said Early Kelley was a couple years late because if he had played with that frontline it would've been quite a treat for Cobb basketball. I mean Dulin, Clay Johnson and Jim "Disco" Sullivan just weren't the answer for Corny Chuck and Mike no matter who was coaching.

Weren't they like the best FT shooting tram in the country that year too? Probably the best ever at UConn much like 2014.

Reaction Score

It was a squad with more than enough talent to have been in the NCAA's Corny's junior and senior years. Dom Perno was not Jim Calhoun -- he did not have the ability to see the players the first few days of practice and figure out how they were going to be molded into the best team possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom