RIP Bill Buckner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Bill Buckner

Reaction Score
With Buckner's terrible knees, Mookie Wilson beats him to first anyway. McNamara never should have had him playing defense in the first place.

And the game was already tied. Beyond cruel how the media and fans blamed him for the loss.

Reaction Score
I find it hypocritical that, now after four titles, Sox fans feel bad that he was treated poorly and is being remembered for that one play.

Maybe they shouldn’t have been such a bunch of jack holes to the guy for decades in the first place.
Well you want us to still hate him? What should we do if we can't afford a time machine?

Reaction Score
I
What an idiotic thing for that guy to say, it's this type of cr@p that made Buckner and his family go through hell.

In fairness to the Red Sox I read they did invite him back for an '86 team reunion but Buckner declined. The damage had already been done by the media and fans.
I saw on twitter today that when he came back to the team in 1990 that the crowd that day gave him a standing O. Honestly once Shaughnessy coined the Bambino Curse and that started being more mainstream i think that villifying him became en vogue.

Reaction Score
That is absolutely insane.

Any way, glad the guy got to live long enough to see a few championships. I wonder if he felt any vindication after Boston's first 'ship. Thing is, there are so many errors that lead to losses in championship games, that one was just magnified to the extreme which was unfair. I liked him on Curb your enthusiasm too, anyone catch that episode?

I saw that Curb episode. Pretty, pretty good. Buckner turned the error into a positive. He was able to pay his kid”s college expenses from the money he made on picture signings with Mookie.

His knees were so bad that he would get hotel rooms close to the ice machine. And Johnny Mac blew it by not having Stapleton as a defensive replacement which he normally did in 86. RIP Bill a member of he Killer Bees.

Reaction Score
What an idiotic thing for that guy to say, it's this type of cr@p that made Buckner and his family go through hell.

In fairness to the Red Sox I read they did invite him back for an '86 team reunion but Buckner declined. The damage had already been done by the media and fans.

Before my time, and certainly before your time, those fans spent 3 hours of every summer day glued to how the Red Sox were doing, TV and radio. With so much time invested, the devastation could only be expected, since they were 1 strike away. It's understandable. I wasn't even born in '67. But I was around during the 1970s, and I wasn't even in Boston or Massachusetts, but even in Connecticut during the summers of 1975-1978, people were just glued to all things Yankees and Red Sox. It was pretty intense. I don't think O'Donnell lost his sense of perspective. He just knew how much of Boston had gone into the Red Sox.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, as a die-hard Sox fan in '86 I was devastated by the loss, and thought Buckner should have at least blocked the ball, but didn't hold him responsible for the loss. The pitching and a couple of seeing-eye grounders and soft bloopers did them in earlier, before the Mookie Wilson grounder of infamy. If he knocks it down, Mookie beats the play at first anyway, and there's another batter to face. But it was already a tie game at that point.

RIP Bill Buckner. In the majors at 19 - when do you see that anymore? Hell of a career in baseball.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, as a die-hard Sox fan in '86 I was devastated by the loss, and thought Buckner should have at least blocked the ball, but didn't hold him responsible for the loss. The pitching and a couple of seeing-eye grounders and soft bloopers did them in earlier, before the Mookie Wilson grounder of infamy. If he knocks it down, Mookie beats the play at first anyway, and there's another batter to face. But it was already a tie game at that point.

RIP Bill Buckner. In the majors at 19 - when do you see that anymore? Hell of a career in baseball.
The biggest mistake may have been made by the manager. John McNamara had been using Dave Stapleton as a late inning defensive sub for Buckner all year, and didn't do it that night, probably as a sentimental "I want Bill on the field when we win it" decision.

Reaction Score
My wife's is Frontaltemporal. In 2 1/2 years since diagnosis she is already well into stage 7 of 7. When diagnosed she was given up to 10 years. Last May less than 2. Really progressed rapidly.
Don't know what to say. I can't imagine what your wife and your whole family must be going through. I wish you and your family the best during these tough times.

Reaction Score
The US government has spent $6 trillion on the War on Terror. . . . Lewy body dementia or Alzheimers, or ALS, or cancer, autism . . . . could benefit from a chunk of that $6 trillion.
We live in a county where, in most jurisdictions, they make you use a seat belt, possessing weed is illegal, there's mandatory trans-fat labelling, childhood fatassedness is rampant and ignored, and, to top it all, an acutely addictive drug is legal to purchase at virtually every minimart, convenience store, gas station, and supermarket in the nation.
That addictive drug is packaged, variously, in cancer inducing, cell damaging packaging, including, but not limited to, tobacco leaves, gum, vapor, patches, and the like.
The use of tobacco results in, approximately, one half a million deaths per year. Since the never-ending war on something or other began in 01, that means that about 9 million Americans have died from tobacco use.
Smoking related yearly costs are about 300 billion. That is likely an underestimate. Since 01, that is about 6 trillion, which, you'll note, is about the same as what is spent on the never ending war on something or other.

How is it possible that, in a country where there are thousands of images of violent gun deaths broadcast over TV and Internet media every day, but where the inclusion of an image of hooters or flaccid johnsons causes the populace to instantly lose its collective mind, there isn't the will to simply pass a one sentence law to make that abomination illegal?

Because, . . .

It's not about life. It's not about saving. It never has been. Never will be. It's the human condition, carved into our DNA, not subject to change without a concomitant change in DNA.

Reaction Score
Well you want us to still hate him? What should we do if we can't afford a time machine?

No. But “magically” no Sox fans are ever in the pool of Sox fans who made Buckners life hell for years. Just admit you treated the guy like garbage and that’s why his legacy is what it is.

Reaction Score

Bob Stanley and Calvin Schiraldi, and a piss-poor bullpen. It was never about Billy Buckner or a “little roller up along first”.
As a Sox fan I always hated how Buck was treated. It made no sense.
RIP to a true gentleman.

Reaction Score
We live in a county where, in most jurisdictions, they make you use a seat belt, possessing weed is illegal, there's mandatory trans-fat labelling, childhood fatassedness is rampant and ignored, and, to top it all, an acutely addictive drug is legal to purchase at virtually every minimart, convenience store, gas station, and supermarket in the nation.
That addictive drug is packaged, variously, in cancer inducing, cell damaging packaging, including, but not limited to, tobacco leaves, gum, vapor, patches, and the like.
The use of tobacco results in, approximately, one half a million deaths per year. Since the never-ending war on something or other began in 01, that means that about 9 million Americans have died from tobacco use.
Smoking related yearly costs are about 300 billion. That is likely an underestimate. Since 01, that is about 6 trillion, which, you'll note, is about the same as what is spent on the never ending war on something or other.

How is it possible that, in a country where there are thousands of images of violent gun deaths broadcast over TV and Internet media every day, but where the inclusion of an image of hooters or flaccid johnsons causes the populace to instantly lose its collective mind, there isn't the will to simply pass a one sentence law to make that abomination illegal?

Because, . . .

It's not about life. It's not about saving. It never has been. Never will be. It's the human condition, carved into our DNA, not subject to change without a concomitant change in DNA.
Since you took this off the rails, nicotine isn't what makes you sick and kills you. Cigarettes suck but not because of nicotine.

Reaction Score
No. But “magically” no Sox fans are ever in the pool of Sox fans who made Buckners life hell for years. Just admit you treated the guy like garbage and that’s why his legacy is what it is.
I know plenty who would admit that. So you’re just assuming per usual

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Peter Frampton does not have Lewy body dementia. He has been diagnosed with Inclusion Body Myositis which affects the muscles but does not affect the brain or lungs. He expects to be playing the guitar for quite some time but not at the level he holds himself to be able to play in a concert setting. Unfortunately this is a condition with no known cure.

Oddly I knew this and had even posted such a couple months ago. Not sure why I got it confused with Lewy, so thanks for the clarification.

Reaction Score
I know plenty who would admit that. So you’re just assuming per usual

Right. Everyone "knows other people" who caused the guy to move his family to remote Idaho....but no one actually did it themselves.

I was 19 in 1986. I grew up as a Mets fans watching pretty much all of Sox Nation on the guy for 20 years. Now they all have open arms and feel guilty for doing it.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but the guy, in 22 years, never struck out 3 times in a game. 2715 hits and a respectable .287 BA.

That's what I wanted to see on the ESPN ticker too instead of "Made the fateful error at 1B vs the Mets in the 1986 WS" - man ESPN blows and that was classless reading that along with announcing his passing yesterday, disgusting on their part.

Reaction Score
Right. Everyone "knows other people" who caused the guy to move his family to remote Idaho....but no one actually did it themselves.

I was 19 in 1986. I grew up as a Mets fans watching pretty much all of Sox Nation on the guy for 20 years. Now they all have open arms and feel guilty for doing it.
i just said there were plenty of people who would admit that. I did. So i just proved you wrong.

Reaction Score
i just said there were plenty of people who would admit that. I did. So i just proved you wrong.

Would any fans have admitted it if 2004 and thereafter didn't happen though? Maybe finally yesterday but I doubt too much would have been accomplished until then.

Reaction Score
Would any fans have admitted it if 2004 and thereafter didn't happen though? Maybe finally yesterday but I doubt too much would have been accomplished until then.
They wouldn't have had to admit it they were actively hating him until 04. You can't "forgive" if you've never hated in the first place which is why Deepster is wrong saying no one would admit to being an ass

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Before my time, and certainly before your time, those fans spent 3 hours of every summer day glued to how the Red Sox were doing, TV and radio. With so much time invested, the devastation could only be expected, since they were 1 strike away. It's understandable. I wasn't even born in '67. But I was around during the 1970s, and I wasn't even in Boston or Massachusetts, but even in Connecticut during the summers of 1975-1978, people were just glued to all things Yankees and Red Sox. It was pretty intense. I don't think O'Donnell lost his sense of perspective. He just knew how much of Boston had gone into the Red Sox.

An E3 was the greatest tragedy in the history of a city. Get a gripe.

Reaction Score
Cigarettes suck but not because of nicotine.
Incorrect. Cigarettes suck specifically and only because of nicotine.
Of course nicotine is not the ingredient that causes health issues - my post presumed that anybody reading it understood the 6th grade science behind the thousands of carcinogens in cigarettes. You and I apparently disagree on the competency of our readers.

If anybody is unclear as to why nicotine is the only thing that matters, then show me the wonderful nicotine-less cigarettes that they sell. Alternatively, create a Lucky Charms type cereal and add nicotine to it, and let me know how that works out when it hits the market.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom