RIP Bill Buckner | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RIP Bill Buckner

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but the guy, in 22 years, never struck out 3 times in a game. 2715 hits and a respectable .287 BA.

I just heard that stat on Le Batard. Even Tony Gwynn struck out 3 times in a game. Remarkable.

Reaction Score
Incorrect. Cigarettes suck specifically and only because of nicotine.
Of course nicotine is not the ingredient that causes health issues - my post presumed that anybody reading it understood the 6th grade science behind the thousands of carcinogens in cigarettes. You and I apparently disagree on the competency of our readers.

If anybody is unclear as to why nicotine is the only thing that matters, then show me the wonderful nicotine-less cigarettes that they sell. Alternatively, create a Lucky Charms type cereal and add nicotine to it, and let me know how that works out when it hits the market.
Then why on earth did you include vapes and gum?

"Cigarettes suck specifically and only because of nicotine." This is a ridiculous statement, cigarettes suck because they are full of a ton of stuff that can kill you over time.

Reaction Score
Then why on earth did you include vapes and gum?
"Cigarettes suck specifically and only because of nicotine." This is a ridiculous statement, cigarettes suck because they are full of a ton of stuff that can kill you over time.
Wow! I knew you would reasonably yield the point! That's just how you roll. Lol.

You're just not getting it. Without the nicotine, cigarettes wouldn't even be a product. You get so riled up with your own point you become senseless.

Reaction Score
An E3 was the greatest tragedy in the history of a city. Get a gripe.
Here is the difference. Before, cable and the internet. We lived in Central Ct. Our parents were terrified in the early 60's of the Boston Strangler. We were 80 to 100 miles away. Bill Buckner was scapegoated(is that a word) and maligned. Comparing the 2 is hyperbole at it's apex, but the point is taken.

Reaction Score
Wow! I knew you would reasonably yield the point! That's just how you roll. Lol.

You're just not getting it. Without the nicotine, cigarettes wouldn't even be a product. You get so riled up with your own point you become senseless.
Incorrect. Cigarettes suck specifically and only because of nicotine.

You posted something remarkably stupid about cigarettes in a thread about Bill Buckner and it's somehow my fault.

Peak oil, Frank!

Reaction Score

OK, here's my gripe. I didn't say in the history. I said in the 20th century up until 1986. That's my gripe.

Compare how many people have heard of the Molasses Flood or Coconut Grove to Buckner's error. It's pretty telling.

Reaction Score
OK, here's my gripe. I didn't say in the history. I said in the 20th century up until 1986. That's my gripe.

Compare how many people have heard of the Molasses Flood or Coconut Grove to Buckner's error. It's pretty telling.

Some people say, on hot days, you can still smell molasses in parts of town!

Reaction Score
Well a 19 year old did manage to escape after being cornered on a one way street with tons of officers and hundreds of bullets coming at him and then managed to shut down that entire city for a day.

Reaction Score
There are always some idiots in any fanbase that will do stupid crap. You cant judge the many by the actions of a few.
After the 86 world series the city of Boston had a rally and Buckner got the longest ovation of all the players.
In 1990 he got an ovation when he returned as a player.
These were fresh after the loss and before 2004. Almost all Sox fans knew the game was lost when the game was tied. And I dont think Gedman gets the crap he deserves a good catcher has to make the play on Stanley's inside pitch
Buckner even said in interviews his beef was mainly with the media not the handful of idiots he'd come across.
To be lectured to by mets and yankees fans however is priceless

Reaction Score
Well a 19 year old did manage to escape after being cornered on a one way street with tons of officers and hundreds of bullets coming at him and then managed to shut down that entire city for a day.

Your reading problems persist.

Reaction Score
There are always some idiots in any fanbase that will do stupid crap. You cant judge the many by the actions of a few.
After the 86 world series the city of Boston had a rally and Buckner got the longest ovation of all the players.
These were fresh after the loss and before 2004. Almost all Sox fans knew the game was lost when the game was tied. And I dont think Gedman gets the crap he deserves a good catcher has to make the play on Stanley's inside pitch
Buckner even said in interviews his beef was mainly with the media not the handful of idiots he'd come across.
It wasn't just a few fans. It's not even close to as bad as the way Bill Russell was treated but it's still a black eye on the city. My friend who is the biggest Boston sports fan I've ever known upon learning of Buckner's death said it's unforgivable what they did to Buckner and Russell.

The thing is if the Red Sox never won is Buckner still on the hook and is he not worthy of forgiveness.

Reaction Score
Your reading problems persist.
My reading problems? Pretty sure Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wasn't brought up in this thread until I brought up him shutting down the whole city.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That's what I wanted to see on the ESPN ticker too instead of "Made the fateful error at 1B vs the Mets in the 1986 WS" - man ESPN blows and that was classless reading that along with announcing his passing yesterday, disgusting on their part.

Like x 1,000! ^^^^^^^^^

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. The guy was a very good ball player, yet we're going to put all the focus on one bad moment in his career. ESPN sucks Pequabuck River sewage!

Reaction Score
My reading problems? Pretty sure Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wasn't brought up in this thread until I brought up him shutting down the whole city.

Sigh. As I wrote, 20th century.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You will legitimately argue for the next 10 pages here that an error in a baseball game was the greatest tragedy in a city over an 86 year period, instead of just admitting it was complete hyperbole.

Reaction Score

This is a perfect example of my point. It wasn't a few idiots. And now, realizing how bad that fanbase reacted, they try to distance themselves with the "it wasn't me!" angle. Bull. I've lived as a Mets fan in Red Sox country my whole life. It wasn't a few idiots.

Reaction Score
"Here I just experienced the best year of my life with a team, and I feel rotten," Bill Buckner said to his wife, Jody, as they drove down Route 93 toward Boston last Wednesday morning. "This whole city hates me. Is this what I'm going to be remembered for? Is this what I've killed myself for all these years? Is a whole season ruined because of a bad hop? I've got to go through the humiliation of this parade, partly because I know I don't deserve it. Oh well, there'll only be two or three players and about 50 people who'll show up to boo us."
When Buckner got to the Red Sox clubhouse, he found at least 15 teammates and coaches waiting for the parade. It was a crystal-clear autumn morning as the Red Sox climbed aboard the flatbed truck that would take them to the rally. When the truck turned onto Boylston Street, Buckner heard the bells of the Arlington Street Church pealing, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and when the truck neared Copley Square, he saw that the street was lined with faces and banners as far as he could see. Buckner had asked not to speak at the rally at City Hall Plaza, and so he stood at the end of the stage. But when he heard the ringing one-minute ovation that followed his name, Buckner stepped forward and thanked the crowd.
"That was the most incredible experience of my career,"

The Hub Hails Its Hobbling Hero

Reaction Score
You will legitimately argue for the next 10 pages here that an error in a baseball game was the greatest tragedy in a city over an 86 year period, instead of just admitting it was complete hyperbole.

A) I was quoting from Boston's legendary historian/journalist James O'Donnell.

B) He wasn't using hyperbole. He gave a talk on the whole thing--it wasn't a flippant answer to some question.

C) When people have invested more time and emotions into that game, and the error that ended it, it's not hard to fathom why it was treated as a huge tragedy.

Anyway, his talk was about the way the Red Sox [until then] had been woven into the fabric of everyday life in the region.

But, like I said, Buckner's error is more remembered than the Molasses Flood or Coconut Grove, where hundreds of lives were lost. Obviously the loss of life is a huge tragedy compared to a lost World Series, but the fact that Buckner's error is more infamous shows just how much it lived on as a tragic outcome that outshown the deaths of hundreds.

Reaction Score
I wasn't even responding to you.

You inserted yourself into the conversation with ConnHusk. He wrote it was the greatest tragedy in the history of the city. Then you came up with the marathon bombing. Totally irrelevant to what he was responding to.

Reaction Score
They should be more like the Mets and their fans how well they treated him. This before the exhibition game played at Shea in '87.

"Then Monday I agreed to do an interview for The NBC Nightly News, and all the guy kept asking me was, 'How can you look at yourself in the mirror? How can you face your teammates?' I went out for batting practice, and I thought one sign that said, 'Nice legs,' was funny, but when I got the standing ovation from the Mets' fans during the introductions, it wasn't so funny." Neither was the Mets' management's decision to replay the error on the Shea Stadium message board before the bottom of the fifth inning. Nor were the post-seventh-game questions from the press about manager John McNamara's decision not to pinch-hit or bring in a defensive replacement for Buckner in Game 6.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We live in a county where, in most jurisdictions, they make you use a seat belt, possessing weed is illegal, there's mandatory trans-fat labelling, childhood fatassedness is rampant and ignored, and, to top it all, an acutely addictive drug is legal to purchase at virtually every minimart, convenience store, gas station, and supermarket in the nation.
That addictive drug is packaged, variously, in cancer inducing, cell damaging packaging, including, but not limited to, tobacco leaves, gum, vapor, patches, and the like.
The use of tobacco results in, approximately, one half a million deaths per year. Since the never-ending war on something or other began in 01, that means that about 9 million Americans have died from tobacco use.
Smoking related yearly costs are about 300 billion. That is likely an underestimate. Since 01, that is about 6 trillion, which, you'll note, is about the same as what is spent on the never ending war on something or other.

How is it possible that, in a country where there are thousands of images of violent gun deaths broadcast over TV and Internet media every day, but where the inclusion of an image of hooters or flaccid johnsons causes the populace to instantly lose its collective mind, there isn't the will to simply pass a one sentence law to make that abomination illegal?

Because, . . .

It's not about life. It's not about saving. It never has been. Never will be. It's the human condition, carved into our DNA, not subject to change without a concomitant change in DNA.
post/handle

Thanks for your interest in Bill Buckner.

Reaction Score
You inserted yourself into the conversation with ConnHusk. He wrote it was the greatest tragedy in the history of the city. Then you came up with the marathon bombing. Totally irrelevant to what he was responding to.
I promise you I had no problem comprehending his post.

Some people legit think a bombing which killed a few people is the biggest tragedy the city has ever seen. The city's response maybe led them to believe that, they shut down the entire friggin' city because of a 19 year old.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't have had to admit it they were actively hating him until 04. You can't "forgive" if you've never hated in the first place which is why Deepster is wrong saying no one would admit to being an ass

I'm an ass once in a while, maybe even more than that to some. Heck so is Deepster, I admit that! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They should be more like the Mets and their fans how well they treated him. This before the exhibition game played at Shea in '87.

"Then Monday I agreed to do an interview for The NBC Nightly News, and all the guy kept asking me was, 'How can you look at yourself in the mirror? How can you face your teammates?' I went out for batting practice, and I thought one sign that said, 'Nice legs,' was funny, but when I got the standing ovation from the Mets' fans during the introductions, it wasn't so funny." Neither was the Mets' management's decision to replay the error on the Shea Stadium message board before the bottom of the fifth inning. Nor were the post-seventh-game questions from the press about manager John McNamara's decision not to pinch-hit or bring in a defensive replacement for Buckner in Game 6.
Wait, were you honestly expecting the winning team’s fans to give him a break? Especially Mets fans? Seriously?
Besides, we did the same thing to Mariano Rivera after he blew it for them in ‘04, right? The old everybody-does-it argument doesn’t wash. Fans can be brutal, and it’s not just Sox fans. Remember Bartman in Chicago had to go into hiding for years.,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom