Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) to visit | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rick Issanza (C, 7'1", 225) to visit

Reaction Score
Won't matter because we're not exactly ripe with scholarships, we'd be down to 2 next year and I have a hard time believing either one would be used on another big.

I've certainly been wrong before and hope I am here. But another project big man is not at the top of my list when I wanted a talent infusion this off-season
Too early to be worrying about scholarships, don't know what the future holds. And we should never worry about 3 stars scaring off potential recruits.

pj

Reaction Score
Won't matter because we're not exactly ripe with scholarships, we'd be down to 2 next year and I have a hard time believing either one would be used on another big.

I've certainly been wrong before and hope I am here. But another project big man is not at the top of my list when I wanted a talent infusion this off-season

He's a project with potential to be outstanding. And demonstrating an ability to turn a project into an NBA player is great for recruiting.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Whatever happened with that St John’s decommit Valdir Manuel? he looked nice on tape.

Reaction Score
Too early to be worrying about scholarships, don't know what the future holds. And we should never worry about 3 stars scaring off potential recruits.
I agree and would probably come around if he commits here. He's not gonna scare anyone off but I'm not sure I want another scholarship tied up in a project when we've seen how hard it is to clear the space with similar 3 star projects this offseason

Reaction Score
He's a project with potential to be outstanding. And demonstrating an ability to turn a project into an NBA player is great for recruiting.
Again, I hope you're right. But this is peak Boneyard with him being outstanding and an NBA player

UconnU

Reaction Score
Academics
Ahh, makes sense. Any idea on Issanza’s backstory? Seems like he was being recruited by every big12 school sans Kansas a year ago, then all of the sudden they all backed off. Injury? Lack of production?

Reaction Score
Ahh, makes sense. Any idea on Issanza’s backstory? Seems like he was being recruited by every big12 school sans Kansas a year ago, then all of the sudden they all backed off. Injury? Lack of production?
Not sure. Looking at his numbers I wouldn’t be too inspired. Texas Tech got Tchewa from PSA who is better right now easily.

Our bigs situation is still fluid. Don’t think Issanza is necessarily going to happen unless we strike out elsewhere.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Not sure. Looking at his numbers I wouldn’t be too inspired. Texas Tech got Tchewa from PSA who is better right now easily.

Our bigs situation is still fluid. Don’t think Issanza is necessarily going to happen unless we strike out elsewhere.
Yea, I REALLY like techs recruiting class. Ramsey and Shannon are big time prospects. They also landed the best juco player in the country in Khalid Thomas and (IMO) the most underrated guard prospect in the country in Frenchy Nadolny. The type of recruiting class you win ships with.

Reaction Score

Who are the other options? I've heard very little about big men recruits.

pj

Reaction Score
Again, I hope you're right. But this is peak Boneyard with him being outstanding and an NBA player

At age 25, one-sixth of the 7 footers in the world are on NBA rosters. There are 43 7-footers in the NBA: there are about 40 7-footers in the whole world of any given age.

It's not that hard for a reasonably athletic 7'1" guy to make the NBA.

Reaction Score
At age 25, one-sixth of the 7 footers in the world are on NBA rosters. There are 43 7-footers in the NBA: there are about 40 7-footers in the whole world of any given age.

And it's not hard for a reasonably athletic 7'1" guy to impact the college game. Take Brimah as an example.
Fair, I still find that to be an incredibly optimistic view of a project big recruit. But to each their own

Reaction Score

Fake news.

pj

Reaction Score
Fake news.

2800 total. Divide by 70 years of life = 40 7 footers of any age.

Fake rebuttal.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Who would we have to strike out with big wise? Or would we take two guards? I haven't heard us involved with any other bigs...

Reaction Score

So if we only have 2 next year that means that you’re anticipating Akok on the team as a Sophmore & AG as a RS SR. If that’s the case, our players capable of playing 1-3 will be AG, Bouk, Adams, Gaffney, Wilson, and hopefully one of bones or Cole. Idk why we wouldn’t recruit a big in that scenario with all those players at guard.

Reaction Score
I still think Manuel is a possibility if he squares his stuff up.

There was also talk of a European target but I never heard I name. Maybe one of the insiders would know.

Definitely slim pickings now though. Big swing and miss for Hurley & crew in year 1.

Reaction Score
So if we only have 2 next year that means that you’re anticipating Akok on the team as a Sophmore & AG as a RS SR. If that’s the case, our players capable of playing 1-3 will be AG, Bouk, Adams, Gaffney, Wilson, and hopefully one of bones or Cole. Idk why we wouldn’t recruit a big in that scenario with all those players at guard.
Yes I expect both of those guys to be back, less confident in Gilbert. But even in your scenario with Bones or Cole they're taking 1 of the 2 open scholarships I mentioned. And the other would go to a wing like Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
Given UConn BB current roster ...

I’d take Souleymane Wane or Charles Okwandu in a heartbeat. You’ve got a solid 25 from Josh Carlton. Your backup Big has to give you solid 12-16 minutes. Basket protection. Some growth in offense over 4 years. Nobody needs to plug Brimah in today

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Based off only the videos I just watched he looks MUCH more athletic then Brimah at any point of his time at UCONN - if he’s interested give him a scholarship and stop messing around..they need a true rebounding shot blocking center. Don’t wait too long. And he doesn’t shoot a ton of 3’s, he’s actually a center..

Reaction Score
Yes I expect both of those guys to be back, less confident in Gilbert. But even in your scenario with Bones or Cole they're taking 1 of the 2 open scholarships I mentioned. And the other would go to a wing like Andre Jackson

They shouldn’t be taking 1 of the 2 schollys tho for next year. They count against the two we’re recruiting out of this year.

We lose vital for 2020 & the one we sanctioned ourself for. We should be recruiting 2 (min) for 2020

Reaction Score
They shouldn’t be taking 1 of the 2 schollys tho for next year. They count against the two we’re recruiting out of this year.

We lose vital for 2020 & the one we sanctioned ourself for. We should be recruiting 2 (min) for 2020
That's fair. Still wouldn't like another big, with Carlton/Whaley/Issanza (in this scenario) on the roster. 5 guards, 5 wings, 3 bigs. 4 is too many IMO

UconnU

Reaction Score
I still think Manuel is a possibility if he squares his stuff up.

There was also talk of a European target but I never heard I name. Maybe one of the insiders would know.

Definitely slim pickings now though. Big swing and miss for Hurley & crew in year 1.
Singing another guard/wing and a grad transfer center and focusing on 2020 bigs is a hell of a lot better than settling for whoever’s left.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom