Richie Springs - Anyone else think we should give him some run Saturday? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs - Anyone else think we should give him some run Saturday?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
idk what you're watching. the past 4 games, which is over a quarter of the season, he's averaging under 6 ppg on under 30% shooting. saying he's shooting better than polley is meaningless given how bad polley has been

Convenient use of "the last 4 games". Those are probably the least relevant games. He is shooting 48%, 3rd best on the team. He is .364 from 3. Second best to Martin (on low volume of course he isn't a shooter).
2020-21 UConn Huskies Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

But he defends, blocks shots (2.8 per game) and rebounds. He has been in a complete funk the last few games, except moments where he seems like himself. Not sure why this is about Whaley. I said he's a backup at this level. We don't have a healthy, quality 4 on this roster.

Reaction Score
Convenient use of "the last 4 games". Those are probably the least relevant games.
huh? they are the most recent games and therefore the most relevant. it's a significant sample size demonstrating a clear trend

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
huh? they are the most recent games and therefore the most relevant. it's also a significant sample size so they demonstrate a clear trend

Almost the whole team has played like crap the last 4 games. I think they are the least reflective games of what the team can be. And of the type of player Whaley is. Even so, in the last game he lead the team in offensive rating (aside from Josh who played 6 minutes.

Not sure what you think the answer is until Akok and Bouk come back.

Reaction Score
Convenient use of "the last 4 games". Those are probably the least relevant games. He is shooting 48%, 3rd best on the team. He is .364 from 3. Second best to Martin (on low volume of course he isn't a shooter).
2020-21 UConn Huskies Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

But he defends, blocks shots (2.8 per game) and rebounds. He has been in a complete funk the last few games, except moments where he seems like himself. Not sure why this is about Whaley. I said he's a backup at this level. We don't have a healthy, quality 4 on this roster.
Actually we do in Martin. He is a little undersized but this is were he actually seems to do well when playing this position. He definitely is rebounding from the position. We need to play smaller as that is our most talented line up right now. Whaley should be a backup to Sanogo right now.

Reaction Score
Hurley has called him the best offensive rebounder he’s ever coached after Tristin Thompson. I don’t expect him to light up the world if he gets some playing time but I would like to see what he has.

I love the fact that we can have thirty threads criticizing everything Hurley says, and asking how we can believe anything he says, and then we get a thread where he says something nice about an unused sub despite clear evidence that the coach doesn't think he's good enough to help now, and then someone says why aren't we playing him, coach compliments him.

I'll take the consistent position I always take -- pay no attention to what a coach says, and rely upon what you see and don't see happening on the field and court.

Reaction Score
I predict Richie getting plenty of minutes next year...but, if we can throw him for a few minutes at a time now when we have foul trouble issues, we need to do it... It will only help him seeing live game action now...

Reaction Score
Almost the whole team has played like crap the last 4 games. I think they are the least reflective games of what the team can be. And of the type of player Whaley is. Even so, in the last game he lead the team in offensive rating (aside from Josh who played 6 minutes.

Not sure what you think the answer is until Akok and Bouk come back.
right idk what we're arguing about. there is no answer until/unless bouk gets back so i wanna play the guys that will be here next year. playing 2 centers at the same time is hamstringing sanogo's development

Reaction Score
Hurley has called him the best offensive rebounder he’s ever coached after Tristin Thompson. I don’t expect him to light up the world if he gets some playing time but I would like to see what he has.
Besides what as IW done lately? Don't get me wrong I like IW but how would it hurt to give RP some minutes. It is not like we are giving up a lot of offense

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Considering how this team shoots from the outside, this sounds like a potential offensive strategy....

Reaction Score
Considering how this team shoots from the outside, this sounds like a potential offensive strategy....
The thing is, we have the seventh-best offensive rebounding rate in the country. Even if Springs is an excellent offensive rebounder, I doubt he would solve any of our current offensive problems.

the Q

Reaction Score
The thing is, we have the seventh-best offensive rebounding rate in the country. Even if Springs is an excellent offensive rebounder, I doubt he would solve any of our current offensive problems.

I wish sarcasm had a font.

My bad.

Reaction Score
We need more energy on the court. Andre has not hit the rim yet on a 3 point shot but look at what he brings out there. Play Springs!

the Q

Reaction Score
Gotcha. Given the number of apparently serious posts advocating that Springs play, I missed the tone/sarcasm.

100% my fault. I thought just the ... at the end would be a givewaway.

This is a problem The entire internet needs to figure out.

It was just a bad joke about if you can’t shoot, just chasing all the rebounds is an offensive strategy.

Reaction Score
The world is filled with stories, in every sport, about the kid who was nailed to the bench who gets a chance and performs well beyond expectations. Marcus Easily anyone?

Of course, it is also true that most of the time the kid performs exactly as expected and gives the team nothing.

Just sayin.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
With a name like Richie Springs he has to be able to play.

Reaction Score
The world is filled with stories, in every sport, about the kid who was nailed to the bench who gets a chance and performs well beyond expectations. Marcus Easily anyone?

Of course, it is also true that most of the time the kid performs exactly as expected and gives the team nothing.

Just sayin.
Agreed. Some just need a chance to get on the floor/field. If he doesn’t hang, pull him. You might be occasionally surprised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom