Richie Springs - Anyone else think we should give him some run Saturday? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs - Anyone else think we should give him some run Saturday?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
He can take Polley’s until Polley can hit an open three. He can play the 4 with Sanogo or Whaley.

Our defense has been atrocious the last few games. It won’t hurt to see if he can defend, rebound, and give us an extra 5 fouls

Polley and Springs are completely different players and different positions. Springs is competing for minutes with Sanogo, Whaley, and Carlton.

Reaction Score
He can take Polley’s until Polley can hit an open three. He can play the 4 with Sanogo or Whaley.

Our defense has been atrocious the last few games. It won’t hurt to see if he can defend, rebound, and give us an extra 5 fouls
Couldn't disagree more, he hasn't even been able to get minutes even when all our bigs are in foul trouble or when we had 9 healthy players. He's clearly not ready to contribute at this level yet

Reaction Score
If Richie could bring in some high level energy I would put him in solely to prove a message (if we get off to a slow start or show a lack of hustle/focus). Talent wise he likely isn't ready but he could be used to prove a point if nothing else, and if he shines, even better!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley has been wrong before. Remember Whaley was the only scholarship player on the roster he wasn’t playing until he got in and became our best forward.

Sometimes those guys are hungrier than the guys who play. When we see a listless, lazy effort, I can't imagine 2 minutes for Springs will do us any great harm. In general, I don't think Hurley substitutes often enough, especially in the first half. I expect him to become a contributor eventually, especially with no Josh or Whaley next year. But Hurley is allergic to playing his bigs. I keep wondering why he keeps recruiting all this length and never using it.

Reaction Score
Sometimes those guys are hungrier than the guys who play. When we see a listless, lazy effort, I can't imagine 2 minutes for Springs will do us any great harm. In general, I don't think Hurley substitutes often enough, especially in the first half. I expect him to become a contributor eventually, especially with no Josh or Whaley next year. But Hurley is allergic to playing his bigs. I keep wondering why he keeps recruiting all this length and never using it.
Funny how different our perspectives are on this, I feel the opposite about Hurley. I think he's been giving way too many minutes to our bigs this year and it's the main reason our offense is being held back the past month

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Funny how different our perspectives are on this, I feel the opposite about Hurley. I think he's been giving way too many minutes to our bigs this year and it's the main reason our offense is being held back the past month

This. We have trouble scoring the ball. Defense and rebounding have been positives for the team, recently we have seen that slide in the wrong direction, but overall those are our strengths. By all accounts Richie would be a rebounder, we do not know about his offense at this level yet so I would imagine that is why he is not getting minutes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Our bigs are better than our guards. That's going to be true next year as well with Akok and Johnson plus Sanogo. Josh is a better player than Adams, and much better than Polley. I don't consider Polley a big. Despite his size, he is completely ineffective inside the 3 point arc, he's just a guard who lacks guard skills.

Reaction Score
Our bigs are better than our guards. That's going to be true next year as well with Akok and Johnson plus Sanogo. Josh is a better player than Adams, and much better than Polley. I don't consider Polley a big. Despite his size, he is completely ineffective inside the 3 point arc, he's just a guard who lacks guard skills.
The difference is Akok and Johnson are capable of stretching the floor, they're 4's being played at the 4 so it's not hurting the team. I get we have to play Whaley and Sanogo together sometimes which I'm fine with, but Whaley is playing 54% of his minutes at the 4 this year so it's not a surprise he's struggling. It's also hurting Sanogo, his numbers are significantly better when Whaley is off the floor than when they play together

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The difference is Akok and Johnson are capable of stretching the floor, they're 4's being played at the 4 so it's not hurting the team. I get we have to play Whaley and Sanogo together sometimes which I'm fine with, but Whaley is playing 54% of his minutes at the 4 this year so it's not a surprise he's struggling. It's also hurting Sanogo, his numbers are significantly better when Whaley is off the floor than when they play together

I simply don't believe a 4 needs to be able to hits 3s. Midrange jumpers, sure. But they need to be able to defend and score inside. Whaley can do some of that. Clearly Akok and Johnson have more talent to be impact 4s than Whaley has. As much as we love his effort most of the time, Whaley should be a bench player for a Big East team. But we have no real options at the 4 with Akok out. People here think offense only, defense and rebounding matter more at that position.

Reaction Score
I simply don't believe a 4 needs to be able to hits 3s. Midrange jumpers, sure. But they need to be able to defend and score inside. Whaley can do some of that. Clearly Akok and Johnson have more talent to be impact 4s than Whaley has. As much as we love his effort most of the time, Whaley should be a bench player for a Big East team. But we have no real options at the 4 with Akok out. People here think offense only, defense and rebounding matter more at that position.
Then we just simply disagree on what a 4 is in basketball in 2021. I personally don't understand how anyone can watch the defense play 10 feet off Whaley and dare him to shoot and not see an issue there. No argument that defense at the 4 is just as important, and playing Whaley at the 4 is taking him out of situations where he's in the pick and roll playing his best. Martin is ideal 4 so yes we have the perfect guy still just sitting right there to be used

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'especially with no Josh or Whaley next year.'
are you certain aboot that? if there is room, i would welcome them.
and howcum our recent slide and d oddly mirrors josh's greatly reduced playing time?
inquiring minds want to know.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There is only one area this year we actually don’t lack at: rebounding.
everything else is screwing us, but we rebound on both ends.

I don’t see how springs solves those issues? He’s rebounding help when that’s bottom of list we need help at?

Reaction Score
Then we just simply disagree on what a 4 is in basketball in 2021. I personally don't understand how anyone can watch the defense play 10 feet off Whaley and dare him to shoot and not see an issue there. No argument that defense at the 4 is just as important, and playing Whaley at the 4 is taking him out of situations where he's in the pick and roll playing his best. Martin is ideal 4 so yes we have the perfect guy still just sitting right there to be used
I agree and that is why I like to see Sanogo/Whaley at the 5, Martin 4, Jackson 3, Gaffney 2, and Cole 1. That is clearly our best lineup and Martin will still rebound at the 4.

Reaction Score
I agree and that is why I like to see Sanogo/Whaley at the 5, Martin 4, Jackson 3, Gaffney 2, and Cole 1. That is clearly our best lineup and Martin will still rebound at the 4.
agreed. plus, this season's not going anywhere fast. at some point we should start playing our young guys as much as possible in lineups mirroring what we might see next year. that includes not playing another C alongside sanogo

for that reason i'm all for letting springs run up and down the court to grab some boards. new lineup: cole/gaff/aj/martin/sanogo with springs 6th man. no more BA, polley, whaley, or carlton. good bye forever.

we'll be a better team for it next year

Last edited:
Reaction Score
agreed. plus, this season's not going anywhere fast, so at some point we should start playing our young guys as much as possible in lineups mirroring what we might see next year. that includes not playing another C alongside sanogo

for that reason i'm all for letting springs run up and down the court to grab some boards. new lineup: cole/gaff/aj/martin/sanogo with springs 6th man. no more BA, polley, whaley, or carlton. good bye forever
We will have to see BA, Whaley and Polley for backup minutes. We need give the starting 5 a blow. I wish Carlton could get minutes but he is clearly our 3rd option at center but if Whaley keeps regressing even when just used at the 5 I say give Carlton Whaley backup minutes. I have no thoughts on Springs but he did look very active on the boards in his limited minutes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
then it looks like we all agree whaley isn't a 4 after all because he can't hit anything but the backboard

He's shooting 3's better than Polley I believe. Has a decent midrange jumper. When he has fallen off is scoring around the basket.

Reaction Score
He's shooting 3's better than Polley I believe. Has a decent midrange jumper. When he has fallen off is scoring around the basket.
idk what you're watching. the past 4 games, which is over a quarter of the season, he's averaging under 6 ppg on under 30% shooting and he's gone 2/6 from 3

33% from 3 might be better than polley but it's still meaningless given his low volume and how bad polley has been

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There is only one area this year we actually don’t lack at: rebounding.
everything else is screwing us, but we rebound on both ends.

I don’t see how springs solves those issues? He’s rebounding help when that’s bottom of list we need help at?

Rim protector. If we are going to keep running Hurley's crazy defensive scheme, the 4 has to be a rim protector. Martin isn't. Akok is out. Jackson can block shots but isn't strong enough to hold position as a 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom