Richie Springs - Anyone else think we should give him some run Saturday? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs - Anyone else think we should give him some run Saturday?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
There is only one area this year we actually don’t lack at: rebounding.
everything else is screwing us, but we rebound on both ends.

I don’t see how springs solves those issues? He’s rebounding help when that’s bottom of list we need help at?
Well I would not say that necessarily. It helps to be plus (+) 22 against Ctrl. Conn to offset (-7) against Creighton and (-10) against DePaul both of which took place on the second go around. We are currently (+4), with a stand-off on the boards against St. John's which I found shocking.

My concern is the (-5) downward trend the last two games, coupled with the lackluster play. Buckets down low, dunks, blocks can get us going, demoralize the other guys at the same time and maybe get us out of this malaise. We are not a reliable three point shooting team. Time to look elsewhere from the current construction for current and future success.

Edit: My only addendum to the downward trend concerns are:
Villanova: Extremely physical
Seton Hall II: (CONN -5 game 1)

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Haven't checked in here since the loss - glad to see we are already at the "Richie Springs needs to get some run" phase of the grieving process.

Hey guys, we're on page 3 and I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'm just wondering, have we been sleeping on Springs?
We have offensive issues.

This feels like a good way to make them worse.
What a miserable 60 hours it's been since Rothstein's tweet.

Took me until now to find where the laughs were hiding.

Now let's write some haiku and beat Xavier.

Reaction Score
I’m going to make a prediction here that you can take to the bank. If Richie Springs doesn’t transfer, ( and you never know with little used guys) there will be a boneyard thread next September saying he spent his summer working on his game, never left the gym, and when the season starts he will emerge as a combination of Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, the 2020 Lakers and what Kid who could dunk against a chair. Chief will likely start it.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I stand by my statement. Play Richie Springs.

Reaction Score
He isn't very good.
Then why recruit him and get him to come a year early?
His reputation was he's a rebounding machine and can hit jumpers out to 15 feet or better, so why not give him some minutes?
Besides the fact Sanogo is better and Whaley is right now too, I mean.
Josh in his way?
My guess is the margin for victory is so close this year with all the injuries that DH doesn't want to risk the likely mistakes, but he misjudged Whaley and needed an off hand comment from Sanogo after a loss to realize he needs to play him lots more.

Reaction Score
The thing is, we have the seventh-best offensive rebounding rate in the country. Even if Springs is an excellent offensive rebounder, I doubt he would solve any of our current offensive problems.
The problem with that statistic is we're a bad shooting team so there's more chances for offensive rebounds than when you're making shots at a higher rate.

Reaction Score
The problem with that statistic is we're a bad shooting team so there's more chances for offensive rebounds than when you're making shots at a higher rate.
I wasn’t referring to offensive rebounds per game. I was referring to offensive rebounding percentage, which is the percentage of a team’s misses that they get an offensive rebound on. By measuring the percentage of offensive rebounds, it takes into account that some teams have more opportunities for offensive rebounds.

OR% = OR / (OR + DRopp)

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Kid was ranked 80th in his class before the reclass. All the people screaming, if he was good enough he would play, Hurley would know.... Hurley sat Whaley for a year and a half before Akok got injured and he had no other option but to play him. Unfortunately for Springs we may just be too deep at this spot. Then we are bringing in another freak stretch 4 next year. We may never see him.

Reaction Score
Kid was ranked 80th in his class before the reclass. All the people screaming, if he was good enough he would play, Hurley would know.... Hurley sat Whaley for a year and a half before Akok got injured and he had no other option but to play him. Unfortunately for Springs we may just be too deep at this spot. Then we are bringing in another freak stretch 4 next year. We may never see him.
From a purely subjective point of view, I really want to see Springs play, just because I haven’t seen him. I always want to see what everyone can do. I just don’t think there’s much evidence he would improve us yet, unless Hurley and the staff are all drastically wrong about him.

This is a sincere question: whose minutes would you have wanted him to take yesterday?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Don't think the kid will stick around. Whaley did, and I'm sure that has some influence on Richie, but trust me once you decide to go, you are gone. It's hard to change a kids mind at that point.

Reaction Score
I saw Richie a couple times in high school since I was there to see Bouk. The fact thag he is not playing at all is no surprise. Nice rebounder but that was about all to his game. There is a reason why he is buried on that bench.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think people forget how thin we were when springs came in, we thought he was gonna be an X factor before learning he wasn't eligible last season. Since then Whaley has proven to be a reliable player, Josh has reduced his role to the point of usefulness, and we won a huge recruiting battle for Sanogo. Combine that with Martin and Polleys ability to spot minutes at the 4, and it makes sense that Richie can't get on the floor yet.

This is all to say Martin should be our starting 4 anyways, with Akok working his way back to a bigger role if he earns it. Play Whaley at his best position.

Reaction Score
Funny how things change from the beginning of this thread until after the game is played Saturday. I mean now IW is back in good graces of some who doubted him, and Richie did play as much as Brendan and Josh last game. Hmm :D :D

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Sometimes those guys are hungrier than the guys who play. When we see a listless, lazy effort, I can't imagine 2 minutes for Springs will do us any great harm. In general, I don't think Hurley substitutes often enough, especially in the first half. I expect him to become a contributor eventually, especially with no Josh or Whaley next year. But Hurley is allergic to playing his bigs. I keep wondering why he keeps recruiting all this length and never using it.
Do we know that Josh and Isaiah or not coming back next year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do we know that Josh and Isaiah or not coming back next year?

We don't "know" it. But Josh is out of the rotation now for the most part. Once Akok is healthy, I think Whaley comes off the bench.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
With the free year I could see Josh doing a grad year somewhere closer to home. Whaley will be back or in Europe

Reaction Score
Hurley made a comment that Isaiah was gone after this year. I saw it somewhere within the past couple of days.

Reaction Score
I stand by my statement. Play Richie Springs.
This totally makes sense if you are betting a parlay of Providence getting points and the UConn under. Nice thought. I see what you are doing here.

Reaction Score
Hurley made a comment that Isaiah was gone after this year. I saw it somewhere within the past couple of days.
Post game presser after the Xavier game. He was talking about how they need Akok back next year at 100% because Whaley will be gone.

Reaction Score
Just saw him standing next to Sanogo in the huddle. He looks like he dwarfs Sanogo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom