Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Let's look at the tea leaves. It appears Lashlee was pushed out at Auburn and was able to get a soft landing at UConn through his connection with Benedict, although at a big pay cut. It was clear that he was going to look for a new OC position ASAP and he preferred the south. He didn't get a P5 offer, so he took a job in Texas which is closer to where he wants to ultimately end up. Best of luck, but he is replaceable.
This. There was a reason he left Auburn that we don't know about. He had a connection at UCONN which was mutually beneficial. We all knew he was going to leave - going to the same job at SMU sucks. However, he made a big positive impact on our program in one year. Sad to lose him but appreciate what he did for us.

Reaction Score
To me it's no surprise that Lashlee's leaving after one year for the reasons that have already been mentioned. I didn't see SMU as the landing spot as I thought Sonny Dykes is more of an Air Raid guy. Oh well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It hurts more that he left for the same job at a school in the conference
But its Texas. Football hot bed.

Happy New Year Randy!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Been lurking here for a while, finally think it is time for the first post.

I'm pretty soundly in the minority here, but I don't think this is an end-of-the-world type of issue for UConn football. We fell in love with Lashlee because of the Auburn pedigree and he turned around our offense from the worst in college football to having flashes of a competent offense. We were ranked 102nd in the country in points per game. That's still terrible.

Yeah, it sucks to lose a coordinator to another school within the conference, especially one who was so highly valued by fans and players alike. But, Edsall appears to have a replacement lined up, and even with an offense lacking firepower and talent, I think there are suitable candidates out there capable of running a spread offense, similar to Lashlee, and potentially scoring more than 23.6 ppg

Reaction Score
This. There was a reason he left Auburn that we don't know about. He had a connection at UCONN which was mutually beneficial. We all knew he was going to leave - going to the same job at SMU sucks. However, he made a big positive impact on our program in one year. Sad to lose him but appreciate what he did for us.

The reason he was pushed out was obvious. Malzahn was on the hot seat going 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5 over the past 3 years and he felt he needed to make a change to the offense. Based on this year's results at Auburn, it worked.

Reaction Score
Would be nice, but wouldn't a guy like Rod Smith (co-OC at Arizona under him) make more sense? (just one option to consider)
ArizonaWildcats.com | University of Arizona Athletics

Rich Rod's system seems like it would be an easy transition for us at this point. Similar to Lashlee's and Rich Rod seemed to be able to adapt his offense to his personnel not the other way around like the majority of our previous OCs

Reaction Score
I had made a comment last season that after a couple games where the offense was clearly our best unit, Randy kind of threw him under the bus in the post game presser rather than praise him.

Blaming the offense no huddle for leaving the defense on the field too long and not scoring in the red zone. It was all very strange to me unless they did not interact well. The other factor was whose hire the OC’s (DB) was and whose hire the DC’s (RE) was.
This is a huge loss.

Was just going to post the same. Thought it was an interesting moment then, looking back now there may have been something to it. Maybe RE put some guardrails in place during the season that made RL think he had less control than he hoped?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
screw it. Aim for the moon.

Kevin Sumlin
Hugh Freeze
Rich Rodriguez

C

Chief00

Was just going to post the same. Thought it was an interesting moment then, looking back now there may have been something to it. Maybe RE put some guardrails in place during the season that made RL think he had less control than he hoped?

Yeah and the defense played like crap and not a word criticizing Randy’s DC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Remember when certain people thought he had a super secret hand shake deal with Edsall to take over as the HC in 5 years?

Good times.
I don't believe that deal was with RE but rather an agreement with AD Dave that RE would rebuild the program over a few years, retire and the RL would takeover.

That a) the rebuild (and therefore the time before becoming HC) would be far more extensive than originally anticipated and b) the relationship with RE was not as smooth as expected could have led to this.

Also there's the weather.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe - but I think this had a lot more to do with the fact that he wanted to get back south. If you look at his time here he did nothing to make you think this wasn't anything but a soft landing spot (to borrow a phrase) to get to something else.

Now lets worry about keeping Marvin Washington and Krajewski on board.

Reaction Score
I think Crocker makes the move to OC. He knows all about scoring.
LMAO....But, honestly, that D he ran this past season put him in line for consideration.

Reaction Score
Our men's basketball team is going down the toilet, and now this? This is just not good news. It sucks. I hope Edsall got a plan. I really really really hope we are not going back to the old Edsall offense. Lashlee's offense is awesome. I really hope we find someone who can run something similar.

Reaction Score
People looking for a warm memory blanket.

If it wasn't for Cochran I don't think Weist would have won those final three games. He didn't exactly impress against any one except the three statistically worse defensives in the conference thst year.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for Cochran I don't think Weist would have won those final three games. He didn't exactly impress against any one except the three statistically worse defensives in the conference thst year.
Weist deserves credit for moving to Cochrane ahead of Whitmer and Boyle. He found the right guy and ran a first rate offense. I would be fine with TJ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom