Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU

Reaction Score
Norries Wilson? The two had a volatile relationship at times but it worked.

Reaction Score
As the OC? Um, no.

I never said as OC. We're Really not in the positions let someone learn the position At our expense but then again, we're not getting anyone of Lashlees caliber either.....

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hopefully this isn't an early indication that Benedict is about to leave for the Auburn AD spot. Obviously Lashlee came to UConn because of his connection to AD David Benedict. Maybe AD David Benedict gave him a quick heads up that he was not going to be at UConn shortly and RL wanted to get out quickly without him. Again, hopefully this is not a nugget of bad news that indicates an avalanche of bad news. :mad:

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hopefully this isn't and early indication that Benedict is about to leave for the Auburn AD spot. Obviously Lashlee came to UConn because of his connection to AD David Benedict. Maybe AD David Benedict gave him a quick heads up that he was not going to be at UConn shortly and RL wanted to get out quickly without him. Again, hopefully this is not a nugget of bad news that indicates an avalanche of bad news. :mad:
Where is the dislike button around here?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hopefully this isn't and early indication that Benedict is about to leave for the Auburn AD spot. Obviously Lashlee came to UConn because of his connection to AD David Benedict. Maybe AD David Benedict gave him a quick heads up that he was not going to be at UConn shortly and RL wanted to get out quickly without him. Again, hopefully this is not a nugget of bad news that indicates an avalanche of bad news. :mad:

This would have to be wrong and the raise they announced would make little sense.

2 current athletic directors out of the mix for Auburn AD job

Reaction Score
I'm stunned. Maybe I gave him too much credit but I thought Lashlee was out ticket to winning and a high octane offense.

Reaction Score
Let's look at the tea leaves. It appears Lashlee was pushed out at Auburn and was able to get a soft landing at UConn through his connection with Benedict, although at a big pay cut. It was clear that he was going to look for a new OC position ASAP and he preferred the south. He didn't get a P5 offer, so he took a job in Texas which is closer to where he wants to ultimately end up. Best of luck, but he is replaceable.
Wonder how much more they offered him over the $350,000 per year he was making here?

Reaction Score
Lashlee was great but we had to see this coming. I am glad he waited till signing period to end before leaving. atleast has our offense is somewhat respectable and thanks to Rhett's work the job isn't as horrific as it once seemed. I'm just glad he actually came to storrs and moved us away from BD

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I guess we can officially remove Rhett Lashlee from the potential list of replacements for HCRE whenever he decides to leave UConn. :rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with football. It’s all about Rhett’s wife. She missed living in the south and yearned to get back there ASAP. Lashlee values his family’s happiness over his job. Can’t fault him for that.

Yes, and if he were a hockey coach, she'd probably have to suck it up. But he coaches football and there are plenty of jobs closer to home. I'd do the same if I were him.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There two things about this that are really concerning.

1) He took the same position at a G5 school in our own dang conference. We all knew his time here was short but we all thought he’d be leaving us for a HC gig or even an OC at another big time P5 program. The fact he left for the same job at a school on our same conference level is concerning. Family issues or not, he must have been offered other gigs in the South at bigger schools? Maybe not?

2) Who do we lose because of this? We got real lucky with Krajewski signing early when he originally hinted he might wait. However, he and Washington came here to play for RL. Wouldn’t be shocked if both leave. Maybe whoever we hire will determine if they stay? It’s an even bigger punch in the nuts that we were all excited thinking we finally had a deep QB pool on our roster to now possibly being left with Pindell and ?

I know this is a gut reaction post but I really do fear we lose some of our QBs who were supposed to finally right our offense.

Reaction Score
So his family never moved up here seriously?
Or was his family here and he is just homesick?
What recruits came here to be a part of his offense and now he’s bailed - and yes I understand the adage u sign for the school not the coach blah blah blah but it’s still dirty and slimy
But that’s college sports right?

Geez, wife with 2 sets of twins wants to be closer to family when husband has significant work and travel requirements. I don't see the dirt and slime. There is never a good time for a coach to leave, from a recruiting standpoint. They either disappoint commits, or leave the team hanging with no commits. Both hubby and wife went to Arkansas which is a suburb of Dallas in southern terms.

Lashlee proved that a UConn offense can work with the right system and it wasn't just a bunch of misfit, untalented, FBS level players. For that I am grateful. UConn will have more interest in it's open OC position now than they would have in a conventional search last year thanks to Lashlee. After the offense started to produce, it was pretty much a given that he was gone. All I wanted was 1 more year, but .......

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I heard this guy may be looking for a job and he and Edsall are good buddies ;) :Jim Caldwell (American football) - Wikipedia

They can get the old band back together from the 2016 Detroit days. Edsall head coach, Caldwell OC, and Orlovsky QB Coach/Assistant OC

Disclaimer : I know this isn't realistic, so no need to attack. But living in a dream world can be fun sometimes. :p

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From everything I've seen, AD Dave absolutely is prepared for this and it took RE and DB less than five minutes to start going through their succession list of replacements.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There two things about this that are really concerning.

1) He took the same position at a G5 school in our own dang conference. We all knew his time here was short but we all thought he’d be leaving us for a HC gig or even an OC at another big time P5 program. The fact he left for the same job at a school on our same conference level is concerning. Family issues or not, he must have been offered other gigs in the South at bigger schools? Maybe not?

2) Who do we lose because of this? We got real lucky with Krajewski signing early when he originally hinted he might wait. However, he and Washington came here to play for RL. Wouldn’t be shocked if both leave. Maybe whoever we hire will determine if they stay? It’s an even bigger punch in the nuts that we were all excited thinking we finally had a deep QB pool on our roster to now possibly being left with Pindell and ?

I know this is a gut reaction post but I really do fear we lose some of our QBs who were supposed to finally right our offense.

1. LSU just lost their DC to A&M. These things happen to the best of them.

EDIT: Read article incorrectly. LSU DC re-signed at LSU.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Geez, wife with 2 sets of twins wants to be closer to family when husband has significant work and travel requirements. I don't see the dirt and slime. There is never a good time for a coach to leave, from a recruiting standpoint. They either disappoint commits, or leave the team hanging with no commits. Both hubby and wife went to Arkansas which is a suburb of Dallas in southern terms.

Lashlee proved that a UConn offense can work with the right system and it wasn't just a bunch of misfit, untalented, FBS level players. For that I am grateful. UConn will have more interest in it's open OC position now than they would have in a conventional search last year thanks to Lashlee. After the offense started to produce, it was pretty much a given that he was gone. All I wanted was 1 more year, but ..

It’s a bit slimy to announce after signing day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't believe that deal was with RE but rather an agreement with AD Dave that RE would rebuild the program over a few years, retire and the RL would takeover.

Like the man said, good times.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with football. It’s all about Rhett’s wife. She missed living in the south and yearned to get back there ASAP. Lashlee values his family’s happiness over his job. Can’t fault him for that.

It’s true.

Dallas is a superb destination for folks that grew up in the middle of the country - like Arkansas. It’s not everyone that yearns for autumn in New England.

He was great for the short term. I also trust HCRE in redefining and putting an outstanding OC in the spot. (Far more than PP and BD)

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
No doubt that the offense improved and disappointing. It is interesting that he didn’t end up in a P5 job, if he was looking. I would guess that he got no credit for his time as OC at Auburn in the job market. Bizarre to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom