Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU

Reaction Score
People are reading way too much into Lashlee leaving. One thing that UConn fans need to understand is that by nature, college football coaches are nomads and really have to be by necessity if they are ambitious. And, Lashlee did not come to UConn at a large pay cut because he wanted to get away from Malzahn. He was pushed out because Malzahn was on the hot seat and Auburn needed to make offensive changes. And, Auburn ended up having a very good year this year so it seems like they made the right decision.

Lashlee is ambitious and he was going to leave UConn quickly, especially if a P5 OC job was going to happen. When he didn't get a P5 job, he decided to grab one closer to where he wants to spend his career and closer to home. And, he probably got a decent raise. This happens all the time in college football.

Reaction Score
I was in Texas two weeks ago and was charged 6.25%.
Surely they just really liked you, were empathetic to your plight, you were in Bum Puck, Texas, or some combination. Potentially ruling out such possibilities, Lashlee's likely to live in Highland Park (SMU campus) or elsewhere in north Dallas where the combined sales tax rate remains 8.25% today. The same 8.25% rate applies in incorporated/relatively more attractive areas of Houston, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, College Station, etc. Bum Puck, less likely yet even crummier areas of Texas tack on an extra 25 or 50 bips to bring their effective sale tax rate to 6.5%, 6.75% or greater than the state's base rate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe football is done no matter what. We can’t get 20k to sit through a game. Maybe we head to the BigEast for hoops and call it a day or become a Boise. Maybe Lashlee figured there is no rescuing it.
Yeah, let's pull the plug on a football program that's finally showing signs of life again because an OC left.

The attendance has been bad because the team has been bad. Similar to what's happening in MBB... Do you think more people would be showing up to see a .500 team play against DePaul or St. John's or Creighton? I don't.

My point is that fixing things on the field & court will do wonders. The conference complaints are just a crutch for our fickle fan base.

Edit: This was not meant to be an attack on you by the way... I'm venting a little bit.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The thing about Lashlee leaving....why buy the big house if not staying for more than one year? Something stinks here...

He bought a house? I never got the sense his family ever made the move up here.

Reaction Score
And, Lashlee did not come to UConn at a large pay cut because he wanted to get away from Malzahn. He was pushed out because Malzahn was on the hot seat and Auburn needed to make offensive changes.
Your perspective was shared by a colleague and big Auburn donor for 4 decades+, 4 posh club seat and 10 Auburn-side season tickets with a lot of access/insight. When I asked him about Lashlee, he said something polite about UConn and "... no one was closing the door on Rhett ...". Entirely separately, a neighbor who started on their Cam Newton-bought championship team, seemingly remains quite involved as a football alum and goes to all home and a few away games said something like "... don't think too many were disappointed ..." accompanied by a southern cheshire cat smile.

Reaction Score
How does a comment like this get any likes? I know what you are going for but it doesn't make any sense, not even ironically.

I found the guy who doesn't understand irony.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because people have a sense of humor?

Nos did a better job defending that post than you did. I guess my problem here is I prefer humor that's...well, funny.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

LOL to anyone who bought the closer to home excuse

Rutgers is looking to pay about $600,000-$700,000, NJAM has learned.

Reaction Score
You make a very good point. Many years ago I got a business call at work from a man who worked at a major corp. in Fairfield Co. He had just moved to CT eight months earlier from Iowa. When I told him I had lived in CT, he proceeded to spend 45 minutes on the phone with a total stranger he'd never talked to before, telling me how miserable his wife and family were living there. They had made no friends and his wife wanted to go back to Iowa. I am not exaggerating when I say this guy was pouring his heart out to me.

I think I may have related this conversation to my mother around that time. We too moved to CT from another state when we were still kids. She proceeded to tell me that in all the time we'd lived there, which by then was well over 20 years, she had never felt welcomed or found it easy to make new friends with anybody. I wasn't at all shocked, but was somewhat surprised that she had never said anything about it to me before then. She complained that people from CT were very clannish and at least back then, most of them had a huge family living within close proximity of one another. All their time was taken up with family activities. It was probably easier for us kids to make new friends there than it was for adults at that time. It gets worse the further north you go in New England. Unless you're fifth generation born and raised from there, you don't fit in. Looking back on it, what she said made perfect sense. Most of my parents' close friends were people my father worked with who had all moved to CT from other states, just like we had, because the company my father worked for moved to CT.

I can totally understand anybody moving to CT from other states or parts of the country feeling the exact same way my parents and some others did. Times have changed but maybe not all that much.
I was born and raised in Jersey and after UConn lived in Boston for 3 years before coming out West. One thing I was told that is very indicative of people from the Northeast is people from other (friendlier, sometimes literally warmer) parts of the country come visit or live in the Northeast and consistently notice that nobody makes eye contact walking down the street. Nobody says “hi, how are you?” for the sake of doing it.

From Philly, to NY, to Boston and everywhere in between, we really can be unpleasant people

Reaction Score
I was born and raised in Jersey and after UConn lived in Boston for 3 years before coming out West. One thing I was told that is very indicative of people from the Northeast is people from other (friendlier, sometimes literally warmer) parts of the country come visit or live in the Northeast and consistently notice that nobody makes eye contact walking down the street. Nobody says “hi, how are you?” for the sake of doing it.

From Philly, to NY, to Boston and everywhere in between, we really can be unpleasant people
Why would I want to say hi to people I don't know?

Reaction Score

No one on Boneyard says hi how are you, either!

Reaction Score
Offensive philosophy is important but Edsall will stay focused on recruiting, that being said he will look for an OC who can get kids interested in UConn, especially in state and nearby states. HCRE has repeated many times "recruiting, recruiting, recruiting". Right now Edsall has a good class coming in with Krajewski, and several in state kids including the beast Travis Jones. Both Krajewski and Jones are listed as 3 star, but from everything Edsall and others have said about these two, they could very well be under the radar 4 stars. I'm encouraged by Edsall 2.0 making an effort (unlike Edsall 1.0) to build good relationships with some of the better known CT HS coaches. It is not beyond the relm of possibility that UCONN's next offensive coordinator might be a very very successful high school coach, especially if it's on the cheap. Recruiting recruiting recruiting!!!

Whoever it is better know modern college football offense. Especially using offense to level the playing field with repect to talent discrepancies.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Even though I thought Lashlee did this as a favor for our AD.... I feel like this is Uconn

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
More to this story. Rutgers is hardly south of the Mason=Dixon Line
Well, he had three choices:

1) Go after Rutgers and P5 money, which is still up north.
2) Go to SMU for about the same money as UConn, but get much closer to home.
3) Stay at UConn.

Rutgers wasn't possible, so that left #2 and #3.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
About 300 miles from University Park, TX or a 4 hour drive to home state Arkansas versus approx 1,200 from Storrs to AR, potentially more dinero, richer recruiting grounds, and kids growing up with "yes sir/ma'am" (albeit insincere for some folks) may make a difference, including for wives, coaches, and some others who actually do relocate to be closer to family.
Correct. I live in Dallas and my family vacations in Arkansas. It's a five hour drive, which is very reasonable.

For those that don't know, western Arkansas looks like western New England (CT, MA, VT). It's beautiful.

Reaction Score
I think hearing the weather people say it is literally colder in the northeast than on Mars was the last straw for RL.

Reaction Score
Our fans crying over Lashlee leaving has proven we know FBS football. March forth.

Lashlee is probably getting twice as much as he was here. Let the man be. He at least bothered to come here and fix our offense and teach us. Randy knows the AAC is heavy on the spread.

The AAC and the "Gulf Coast offense"

The AAC has it's own culture going now. This is why Randy also wants the 3-3-5.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
While you may be pretty sure, it is an incorrect assumption.
Sales Tax: TX 8.0% (Dallas 8.25%) > IN 7.0% > CT 6.35%

Combined with Texas' relatively high property taxes and likely similar cost of living near Storrs versus highly affluent Highland Park (SMU) and nearby high-end north Dallas communities, Texas, you wouldn't be the first person to naively leap to an assumption no state income tax absolutely equates to paying lower total combined taxes. Regardless, Lashlee should fare OK with a possible income bump and potential overall COL decrease (depends on where he lived near Storrs). ;)

There is no income tax in Texas and the property rate is lower than Connecticut.

He will be paid more at a private university

Reaction Score
Screw the whole program!!! Lets go back to boring run through the middle football. hey..We still have Crocker.. that is a plus!! I loved his style of offense, but of course we could only get 1 year of that. this pisses me off no end. i have nothing good to say about where we go from here. All the hope of turning this program around has been shot in the ass.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Screw the whole program!!! Lets go back to boring run through the middle football. hey..We still have Crocker.. that is a plus!! I loved his style of offense, but of course we could only get 1 year of that. this pisses me off no end. i have nothing good to say about where we go from here. All the hope of turning this program around has been shot in the ass.

If Lashlee was your only source of hope...you didn't read the situation correctly at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom