Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Rhett Lashlee Gone -- OC at SMU

Reaction Score
Yes. For a Southerner with small kids, going from CT to Dallas and probably getting a slight pay raise is a no brainer.

I don't think it says SMU is a program with more potential than UConn or anything profound like that.
More to this story. Rutgers is hardly south of the Mason=Dixon Line

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Jerry kill got 600k as OC. RL decided to give it a whirl and maybe Ash passed when he realized Rhett would be a one year guy again.

Reaction Score

Convo between Rhett and his agent:

RL: My family and I really want to move back down south. It’s been a tough transition for them.

Agent: Take the interview at RU. It will give us leverage in negotiating with SMU.

It’s nothing more than that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Convo between Rhett and his agent:

RL: My family and I really want to move back down south. It’s been a tough transition for them.

Agent: Take the interview at RU. It will give us leverage in negotiating with SMU.

It’s nothing more than that.

Or it’s nothing more than what people say when they want to change jobs for any reason they choose.

If they can’t find a capable OC what’s the point.

It’s not like he is Bill Walsh or something.

Reaction Score
Lashlee is a southerner who probably had never even been to the Northeast before. This environment was a huge culture shock to him, he had one foot out the door once he got here and once he had actually been to CT I'm sure he wanted to leave quicker then a cloud of dust. It is what it is this is reality in todays CFB you have to constantly be on the move to hire the next guy, I'm sure RE is prepared for that.

C

Chief00

This is a serious post? Chief is the guy who posted he was hanging with Drummond at a UConn game at the same time Drummond was roughly 1000 miles from Storrs. Chief is an underling in the AD at best. Nobody with any kind of juice in the AD would post in the Yard.

You’re clueless, I have known Dre for many years. I was the one that posted in early August 2011 that he was going to UConn in a month when everyone else thought he was going back to prep school. As for that game, yes we were going to meet but plans changed and there was a miscommunication. If you don’t believe me ask Facey.
So in the words of a HOF coach, go back and get some facts before you talk such nonsense.

Reaction Score
I hope DB & RE realize that the new OC has to offer a system that expands on what RL introduced this year.

I don't think you'll see an uptick in fan base to be bored to death with PP and BD "offensive" offensive schemes. Personally I would not even accept a RE.1 system of offense any more. I could watch the same thing at the HS level and save a lot of money.

I give RL a lot of credit with even giving fans a glimmer of excitement. And maybe he was frustrated with the lack of progress due to the fact the athletic ability of the players may not have been what he needed to be highly successful. Didn't RE suggest during the season that the play book on both the offensive and defensive side had to be scaled back to mesh with the skills of the players.

Maybe his wife did have an influence in his decision.and maybe she didn't. Doesn't matter. One thing for sure..the HS talent base at Texas HS and SMU gives him more opportunity to "fully" implement his scheme,

I wish him the best.

What he said. Whoever UConn hires as OC better be able to light up the scoreboard better than RE 1.0, PP and Bobby- Boy.

Reaction Score
Here's a name that may be worth considering: Timothy Drevno. I believe until recently he was offensive coordinator at Univ. Michigan. He is not superb, but has some basic skills that could help UConn improve its football program.

Reaction Score
...Our OC just made a lateral move to get out of here. I think getting someone who will run a similar offense with Connecticut connections is a good idea.

I agree with Nelson and all of those who point out we desperately need some continuity. This has to be a home run hire that will continue our forward momentum on offense AND wants to stick around here in the Great White North for a while. Could be a needle in a haystack though.

Reaction Score
Lashlee, a brilliant offensive mind, was "suggested" to HCRE by AD Benedict. When the boss makes such a suggestion, you satisfy his wishes, especially when Lashlee came a a bargain price compared to salary at similar institutions. That said, I'm sure of the following:
a. Lashlee was a temporary fix to get the offense back to a modicum of respectability. While we all hoped for 2-3 years of service before he moved on, the simple fact that he & his wife were from the "Deep South", he had never previously coached in the Northeast, & "culture shock" set in early, proved too great an impediment to a long term stay. He was looking to move on shortly after signing his contract.
b. HCRE has a list of candidates to target from when he was named at head coach last Christmas, that he put in his "hope chest" for future reference as soon as Benedict made the Lashlee "suggestion". He's proven too organised to think otherwise. This list was dusted off as soon as Lashlee informed AD Benedict of his intention to move on & probably updated with the flurry of recent hirings & firings across college football. In HCRE we trust.

I thank Lashlee for his service to the University. He helped make watching UConn football again bearable after the debacle of Diaco & Co. Now let's move on.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree with Nelson and all of those who point out we desperately need some continuity. This has to be a home run hire that will continue our forward momentum on offense AND wants to stick around here in the Great White North for a while. Could be a needle in a haystack though.
Agreed. I think it would be very helpful to have them here this year as well because our offense is very young. Our starting QB will likely be either Pindell or a RS Frosh or true Frosh. Will be rough first year but this team is going to be awful next year. By year 2 or 3 of same offensive coordinator, we could really have something here. Let’s hope we hire someone who wants to be here for a bit.

Reaction Score
I think CoachCap's assessment of the situation is likely close to how it went down and how HCRE 2.0 is approaching it.

Reaction Score
What he said. Whoever UConn hires as OC better be able to light up the scoreboard better than RE 1.0, PP and Bobby- Boy.
Offensive philosophy is important but Edsall will stay focused on recruiting, that being said he will look for an OC who can get kids interested in UConn, especially in state and nearby states. HCRE has repeated many times "recruiting, recruiting, recruiting". Right now Edsall has a good class coming in with Krajewski, and several in state kids including the beast Travis Jones. Both Krajewski and Jones are listed as 3 star, but from everything Edsall and others have said about these two, they could very well be under the radar 4 stars. I'm encouraged by Edsall 2.0 making an effort (unlike Edsall 1.0) to build good relationships with some of the better known CT HS coaches. It is not beyond the relm of possibility that UCONN's next offensive coordinator might be a very very successful high school coach, especially if it's on the cheap. Recruiting recruiting recruiting!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You’re clueless, I have known Dre for many years. I was the one that posted in early August 2011 that he was going to UConn in a month when everyone else thought he was going back to prep school. As for that game, yes we were going to meet but plans changed and there was a miscommunication. If you don’t believe me ask Facey.
So in the words of a HOF coach, go back and get some facts before you talk such nonsense.
Dude..at the time you posted you said you were sitting next to him in Storrs when in fact, he was at some college game in the Detroit area.. Now go get me some video for the Field Hockey opener next fall. Nancy Stevens needs it STAT!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fire Ollie Now!!!! and use his off the charts salary to fund football, and give the new OC a decent salary.

If we didn't have to pay him even when we fire him, this could work. He's vastly overpaid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Look at the severance as a down payment on football.

How does spending an extra $10M on basketball help football? We need a new OC. Buying out Ollie reduces the money available for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom