Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Moving to the NBE will be a dark day for UConn athletics. The AAC has a better chance of staying with the P5 when the inevitable school spilt comes. And, it appears UConn has decided that a P5 invite is never coming as being in the NBE does not prepare you for the P5.

The move to the NBE is a backward looking nostalgic move that makes no strategic long term sense.

Wrong. The Big East will never be left behind by the NCAA or the media. This makes perfect strategic sense as the AAC was killing the UCONN brand and relegating us to a Netflix school. We waited long enough for a P5 invite that never came.

#PEACEATLASTHASCOMETOSTORRS

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
UConn was an original member of the Big East, beginning in 1979, but went to the American during realignment in 2013.

Uh no. You rat bastards funded the gutting of our conference and let us be left behind. Then you tried to take away our T3 deal with SNY, so we either had to bend over and take it again, or move our sports to another conference. All while you guys are enjoying a new development subsidized by Connecticut taxpayers dollars. Go die in a hole.
BINGO.

Reaction Score
About as much as I was pumped for trips to Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, SMU, Wichita... But seeing as you missed the point Ill explain. There are more close games for me now to go to and the conference tournament back in MSG is close-by and a better atmosphere.
I understood the point. I'm saying that, proximity aside, what about seeing this Big East competition up close is exciting with the exception of Nova? The novelty of watching trash basketball against inflated, middling st. johns, seton hall, and providence teams will wear off pretty quickly

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Destroy what? There is nothing left but losses. Games and money! If the team was even mediocre in the AAC, you would have a point. But they aren't. Not even close. Laughingstock...
I know, right?!!! And men's basketball is losing money and hasn't had a winning season in three years. Hell woman's basketball hasn't won a championship in at least that long! Shut 'em all down I say!!!

The idea that "the way things are is the way that they will always be is the refuge of tiny minds.

Reaction Score
So it is really happening. Great news from my point of view as our football program is a bottom feeder and there is no light at the end of the tunnel there even if the football fans think so.
There is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel—- and despite what many think— it’s not from an oncoming train. Football needs to be preserved, Hopefully FOX, which gains from our inclusion in the BE, will provide incentives for the schools in the other conferences it controls—-B1G, PAC 12, and Big 12—to schedule as as an Independant.

Reaction Score
What exactly do you think are the options left for the football program now? Stay in the AAC as a football-only member? They'd never want us. MAC? CUSA? Indy? Drop to FCS? Or just fold the program? It's one of those options.

So yeah, that's why we're angry. I'm a big UConn hoops fan too and it's good for basketball, but I'm not happy today.
you could just wait and see and then throw a tantrum (not saying you're throwing one now)

Reaction Score
Having a strong UConn football program in the AAC that routinely sells out the Rent and goes to bowl games was the best path to a possible P5 invite.

That shipped sailed with Bobby Redpants. It would take too much $$$, time, and luck to even get back to being mediocre in the AAC. -$13M a year is the table stakes to keep being terrible, which does us no favors. We’d have to invest even more money to try to be good - but everyone else in the AAC has the same idea and is spending deep into the red in pursuit of the dream of joining a P5. The entire conference is on tilt and the latest media deal was a disaster.

See what Fox + SNY can offer to make a run of it as an independent (on top of the BE basketball revenue share). Otherwise, pull the plug, join the Big East, and put some of the money we would have blown on 3+ years of losing football into a war chest for prospective UConn football “relaunch” in a P5. If another round of realignment arrives, we could commit to spending big immediately on football. If it doesn’t arrive, that money is still there and hasn’t been flushed down the toilet.

Oh good, so not only are we committing athletic suicide, but we didn't have the foresight to check in with Fox and/or SNY to see what they'd offer? Those are some real big-time thinkers we got over there. SMH.

Reaction Score
So the independent football team now gets to go to the powerhouses 4 times a year and get slaughtered for a payday as opposed to getting slaughtered in the East Carolina rain in front of 6250 fans on CBS Sports Network. Makes sense.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I know everything Im about to say is wrong, but UConn Football has been a joke in the college football world over the past 7 years to the point of being one of the worst teams to ever play the sport going back 100 years. Nobody goes to the games anymore, and do you really think to the casual football fans theres really much of a difference between Tulane, ECU, Memphis, or SMU, vs any of the schools we will face in a different conference thats still outside the Power 5? I know the real answer is $$$, and UConn football will lose $$$ not playing in the AAC anymore, but I honestly believe football attendance will rise if the team is more competitive in a lesser league compared to being historically bad in the AAC.

Thats just my opinion that I know will be destroyed, but in all seriousness, what happens to the games we already have scheduled vs Duke and other non conference schools for football? I would assume they are still binding contracts...

They are binding contracts but those schools can always decide to exercise their buyout option and pay the agreed damage amount to terminate those contracts.

Reaction Score
Wrong. The Big East will never be left behind by the NCAA or the media. This makes perfect strategic sense as the AAC was killing the UCONN brand and relegating us to a Netflix school. We waited long enough for a P5 invite that never came.

#PEACEATLASTHASCOMETOSTORRS

Not only will the BE get left behind, but when it comes time they will start to leave behind P5 school as well. They will eat their own eventually. You watch. They are not going to let freeloaders stay. The NCAA makes $1 billion a year from the NCAA tourney. People are kidding themselves if they don't think the top 48 schools realize that.

Reaction Score
There is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel—- and despite what many think— it’s not from an oncoming train. Football needs to be preserved, Hopefully FOX, which gains from our inclusion in the BE, will provide incentives for the schools in the other conferences it controls—-B1G, PAC 12, and Big 12—to schedule as as an Independant.

Fox is moving out of the college football business

Reaction Score
Of the new Big East, Calhoun said, "Villanova’s a name, St. John’s — it’s a long way from East Carolina. Seton Hall, Providence is a neighborhood rivalry, I think that will heat up again. You can’t make Temple, Tulane, those teams, into rivalries. Going into the XL Center, seeing 14-15,000 people. There’s something about rivalries, when you don’t have them anymore, you realize how special they were.”

Reaction Score
I’m gonna read too much into this. He posted a ridiculous gif without something up our sleeves? I hope not.

He doesn’t seem worried, that’s for sure!

Reaction Score
UConn was an original member of the Big East, beginning in 1979, but went to the American during realignment in 2013.

Uh no. You rat bastards funded the gutting of our conference and let us be left behind. Then you tried to take away our T3 deal with SNY, so we either had to bend over and take it again, or move our sports to another conference. All while you guys are enjoying a new development subsidized by Connecticut taxpayers dollars. Go die in a hole.

I don't get SNY anymore. I was looking forward to getting ESPN+ so I could watch UCONN sports, especially baseball. But thanks to the small minded thinkers in Storrs I can kiss that goodbye. SMFH!!!

Reaction Score
you could just wait and see and then throw a tantrum (not saying you're throwing one now)

Dude, none of those options are good and you know it (and staying in the AAC is highly unlikely). If you can't understand why football fans are angry then I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom