Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having a strong UConn football program in the AAC that routinely sells out the Rent and goes to bowl games was the best path to a possible P5 invite.

That shipped sailed with Bobby Redpants. It would take too much $$$, time, and luck to even get back to being mediocre in the AAC. -$13M a year is the table stakes to keep being terrible, which does us no favors. We’d have to invest even more money to try to be good - but everyone else in the AAC has the same idea and is spending deep into the red in pursuit of the dream of joining a P5. The entire conference is on tilt and the latest media deal was a disaster.

See what Fox + SNY can offer to make a run of it as an independent (on top of the BE basketball revenue share). Otherwise, pull the plug, join the Big East, and put some of the money we would have blown on 3+ years of losing football into a war chest for prospective UConn football “relaunch” in a P5. If another round of realignment arrives, we could commit to spending big immediately on football. If it doesn’t arrive, that money is still there and hasn’t been flushed down the toilet.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For those who hate this move, what is your greatest fear over the next few years? That a P5 slot will open and we will not get an offer, but we would have if we stayed in the AAC?

That, coupled with the upcoming NBE TV contract. Ironically, the NBE's horrid ratings might be what saved this move, as us coming back would help their cause tremendously.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I heard there's been an offer for years. If there's motion it's because they've given up on football. Can you blame them?
Or the lastest effu from Aresco on the media deal was one too many. Curious to see if ESPN cuts it. It's low enough that they may not.

Last edited:

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Football was a giant investment. There has to be a better solution than doomsday, so I’m going to wait to see what actually happens.

Reaction Score
UConn Football could not exist and I don't think 99% of UConn fans would care[/QUOTE
I don’t buy that, Get us back to respectability and fans would rejoice.

Reaction Score
Does Rentschler become an MLS stadium??

Only if Hartford Athletic gets an expansion franchise. I don't think they will, because this is their first year in the USL. At least I think it is.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how any football fans can be angry yet when we don't know what's happening. This is good for basketball. The AAC would have been fine if we stayed, but this is definitely a bump. Perception is everything people, and recruits + America at large believe the Big East has more cache than the AAC

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Will be a big win if we can get football into the MAC or C-USA or some other decent conference that we may actually be able to compete in.

CL82

Reaction Score
Was just on ESPN Sportscenter. Everyone reporting it.

UConn was an original member of the Big East, beginning in 1979, but went to the American during realignment in 2013.

Uh no. You rat bastards funded the gutting of our conference and let us be left behind. Then you tried to take away our T3 deal with SNY, so we either had to bend over and take it again, or move our sports to another conference. All while you guys are enjoying a new development subsidized by Connecticut taxpayers dollars. Go die in a hole.

Reaction Score
Well, at least this explains how UConn has treated the football program. Starve it. Cripple it. Then say "Look, it's starved and crippled. I guess we should prioritize basketball." No wonder the football coach was paid half the salary of the WBB coach.

The NBE is a wasting asset. You aren't going to get what you think you are gojng to get.

Reaction Score
UConn was an original member of the Big East, beginning in 1979, but went to the American during realignment in 2013.

Uh no. You rat bastards funded the gutting of our conference and let us be left behind. Then you tried to take away our T3 deal with SNY, so we either had to bend over and take it again, or move our sports to another conference. All while you guys are enjoying a new development subsidized by Connecticut taxpayers dollars. Go die in a hole.
yeah it's barely been brought up but this finally gets us away from ESPN and I'm ecstatic about that. They've screwed us too many times to consider them an equitable partner.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m struggling to understand how you can go back to a place you’ve never been. The New Big East is not the Big East. We were never in the New Big East.

As I told @August_West offline, this is like going to Dead & Company and saying you are so happy to be seeing the Dead.
Yep.

I have an ediquette question. When do we have to start pretending that the NBE is the Big East.

Where is Leticia Basketballdrige when you need her?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how any football fans can be angry yet when we don't know what's happening.

What exactly do you think are the options left for the football program now? Stay in the AAC as a football-only member? They'd never want us. MAC? CUSA? Indy? Drop to FCS? Or just fold the program? It's one of those options.

So yeah, that's why we're angry. I'm a big UConn hoops fan too and it's good for basketball, but I'm not happy today.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member