Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Imagine the confidence boost Hurley gets going after kids now, conference affiliation is now a big positive recruiting the north east. We can compete for north east kids with anyone. I wonder how long ago Hurley knew we would be moving back? It had to be discussed as early as their initial interview right?

Reaction Score
Believe what you want. No skin off my back.

L'ville told Big East it was leaving before invite

As we learned today, however, it wasn't so simple -- the Cardinals actually told the Big East they were leaving before they received an invite from a new conference.
Athletic director Tom Jurich gave the conference notice 27 months before the move -- that's back in October 2011, for those counting -- which will save the school $4 million, bumping the fee from $15 million to $11 million.

Yeah that. They were politiking for their fans. They filed no paperwork to leave. None. Believe the narrative peddled by Louisville if you like. No skin of my back, but I'll stick with the truth.

Reaction Score
You guys need to stop being drama queens. If football is so important, shouldn't we consider how it was dieing in the AAC? What was the plan to reverse that? Maybe, just maybe, there is a place where the football team can actually flourish. The program was awful and bleeding money in the AAC. The aura of that great football conference was not working for us. You have to look for other options at that point.

Is that code for telling the truth?

Reaction Score
Moving to the NBE will be a dark day for UConn athletics. The AAC has a better chance of staying with the P5 when the inevitable school spilt comes. And, it appears UConn has decided that a P5 invite is never coming as being in the NBE does not prepare you for the P5.

The move to the NBE is a backward looking nostalgic move that makes no strategic long term sense.

I regret that I have but one like to give to this post.

Reaction Score
Seems to me Hurley was recruiting just fine in the aac.
There are reasons to think this move puts the overall athletic department in a difficult spot for long-term stability at a P5 level. But if you cannot see how this move is an enormous plus for basketball recruiting, nothing anyone says will help.

Reaction Score
I can’t read through the whole thread so I apologize if this has all been said. I’m just hoping this is a well thought out plan for the future and not throwing in the towel. I don’t have much more interest in the majority of the Big East than I do for the AAC. This isn’t the real Big East. So why now? My first thought is they must have gotten word that the AAC is going to be poached and UConn isn’t a realistic target or they can’t handle the finances of football, travel and less revenue anymore. I guess we’ll know in a decade or so.

Reaction Score
And what’s going to happen if the Power 5 breaks away and forms their own basketball tournament?
1. We have been hearing this for a long time. When?
2. The P5 schools already control the NCAA and most of the money. What would they have to gain?
3. If it did happen, why do you think it would be the end instead of the beginning? Why wouldn't they eventually add conferences to expand their reach? Why not P6 and P7 and so on?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Imagine the confidence boost Hurley gets going after kids now, conference affiliation is now a big positive recruiting the north east. We can compete for north east kids with anyone. I wonder how long ago Hurley knew we would be moving back? It had to be discussed as early as their initial interview right?
I was killed for the same point of how joining the BE would assist with recruiting.

Reaction Score
Will be good to play Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, and Louisville in basketball again. Oh, wait, the NBE now includes Creighton, Butler, and Xavier.

When the college athletics split comes and the "P5 basketball tournament" includes the AAC, MWC, and maybe 1 or 2 other G5 conferences, we will all point back to this move and wonder what UConn's leaders were thinking.

I am on the record. I oppose this move.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I haven't read all 15 pages so this might have been mentioned but I wonder if this isn't a play to force ESPN to allow SNY to broadcast the BB games and therefore increase our bottom line income. If ESPN won't allow this, UConn walks over to Fox.

Reaction Score
Will be good to play Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, and Louisville in basketball again. Oh, wait, the NBE now includes Creighton, Butler, and Xavier.

When the college athletics split comes and the "P5 basketball tournament" includes the AAC, MWC, and maybe 1 or 2 other G5 conferences, we will all point back to this move and wonder what UConn's leaders were thinking.

I am on the record. I oppose this move.

College basketball will die due to a true NBA development league/college replacement where players can be paid long before a P5-only tournament will happen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m struggling to understand how you can go back to a place you’ve never been. The New Big East is not the Big East. We were never in the New Big East.

As I told @August_West offline, this is like going to Dead & Company and saying you are so happy to be seeing the Dead.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The football fanbase is the groom-to-be still standing at the altar five hours after the ceremony was supposed to start, telling himself his bride will be walking through the church doors any minute now.
Our hardcore football fanbase consists of like 100 people. We had one of the worst teams in the history of the sport last year. Big East move was inevitable. Big East wants 11 teams for round robin they had 10, we needed to jump on the opportunity before anyone else did.

Reaction Score
Seems to me Hurley was recruiting just fine in the aac.
Fine isn't great and it isn't good enough. Supposedly the conference was an anchor. I am not saying I agree with that. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom