Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, probably yes.

Just by virtue of being in a weaker conference, a game against UConn will now hurt opponents strength of schedule more.

You're making my point - even more reason to be independent!

Reaction Score
That's why during negotiations you give them something that sparks their interest...

Wow. You're so brilliant, I can't believe you haven't been sent to the Middle East to negotiate Israeli-Palestinian peace.

We are in awe.

Reaction Score
Oh god, how do i recover 15 minutes of my life. Idiotic. That may be far too nice, but I am more focused on those frigging 15 minutes than I am trying to explain reality to some kid typing from his mom's basement about the time he passed Warde on the sidewalk on his way to class. I miss HFD

Reaction Score
Oh god, how do i recover 15 minutes of my life. Idiotic. That may be far too nice, but I am more focused on those frigging 15 minutes than I am trying to explain reality to some kid typing from his mom's basement about the time he passed Warde on the sidewalk on his way to class. I miss HFD

Keep dreaming kid - some of us have higher dreams than the bottle...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will make my case again to treat Independent, Independence or Indy like m.h.v or **** or ****.

Please make it stop. I love potatoes. I do not want to play Idaho 6 times a year.

Reaction Score
I will make my case again to treat Independent, Independence or Indy like m.h.v or **** or ****.

Please make it stop. I love potatoes. I do not want to play Idaho 6 times a year.

So you'd rather play Tulsa/UCF/Temple/SMU/Houston/UMass on a regular basis instead. Shoot - we still need to find 6 legit games scheduling wise which obviously some of you don't seem to get...

Reaction Score
So you'd rather play Tulsa/UCF/Temple/SMU/Houston/UMass on a regular basis instead. Shoot - we still need to find 6 legit games scheduling wise which obviously some of you don't seem to get...

You're leaving out USF, Memphis, and Cincinnati. The latter two which have very good basketball. There is also ECU. Not great, but overall not the nightmare independence would bring.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

What don't we get? Scheduling 6 legit games after NNNNNNNNBE 4.0 schedules are set is somehow more difficult than scheduling 12 Independent legit games?? Going Independent loses guaranteed TV money and conference dues. Plus there is absolutely no way you can develop rivalries with schools that you play once every 5-10 years. Give me a schedule with Cincinnati, Temple, and USF on it over Idaho, Ohio, and Western Kentucky every year because we've gone to battle against those schools before. I'm familiar with them, their coaching concepts, their players and fans. I hate them for the times they have beaten UConn over the years. I will go to those games and watch them on TV because I'm invested. I would have less than zero interest watching UConn line up to play a new FCS/mid-major school each and every season without a steady stream of games against competition that I know. For the same reason why you state that we should go with the C7 basketball (familiarity of opponents) is the same reason why UConn football needs to be tied in with a conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You don't seem to get that those teams are way better than what youd schedule as an independent. And guess what - half your conference games are at home!

They can't schedule a single game. Yet you think they can schedule 12.

Reaction Score
What did I miss? What happened to HFD?

His swan song is on the football board.
I enjoyed reading his posts.
I think we need to cut people some slack, including OP. Realignment is enough to drive anyone crazy.

Reaction Score
His swan song is on the football board.
I enjoyed reading his posts.
I think we need to cut people some slack, including OP. Realignment is enough to drive anyone crazy.

I'm pretty sure he is posting here and there. He's just talking sports and skipping realignment rants.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
But I also think Tulane and Memphis can better their football programs, easily.

If its so easy, why the duck don't they do it already?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I have not a clue who kate Upton is.

I feel like this is one of those charity ads, where we are helping some poor victim get clean water and fresh food.

No idea who Kate Upton is??!?!!!?! You poor, poor man.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought of Mila Kunis but was afraid I would misspell it. I have not a clue who kate Upton is.

As I've said before, not a pop culture guy.

Don't sweat it - I have no idea who she is either and I'm the best and brightest person here.

Of course, I know how to spell Mila Kunis' name because, again, I am the best and brightest person here.

Reaction Score
If its so easy, why the duck don't they do it already?
From what I've seen, at least Tulane's recruiting has been trending upwards. They are building a new stadium. Memphis need to get to work on their program.

Reaction Score
You're leaving out USF, Memphis, and Cincinnati. The latter two which have very good basketball. There is also ECU. Not great, but overall not the nightmare independence would bring.

So we should join a conference for football because 2 schools have decent basketball? Keep the current rivlaries in basketball by joining the C7. The addition of Butler and Xavier alone, along with UConn make that conference the 2nd best conf in basketball. Go indy for football and beef up the schedule with powerhouses to make a name for yourself WHILE WE WAIT FOR THE NEXT CONF SHIFT. We would be independent for 2 years at the most. I think we all agree that UConn will end up either in the Big Ten or the ACC, it's just a matter of time. In the mean time, you have to keep your fans interested, while making a name for yourself on the big stage. Scheduling legit teams, will guarantee at least 3 games get picked up by a national network. We have a deal with SNY, there is no doubt in my mind they will broadcast our other 9 games.

Reaction Score
Plus there is absolutely no way you can develop rivalries with schools that you play once every 5-10 years. Give me a schedule with Cincinnati, Temple, and USF on it over Idaho, Ohio, and Western Kentucky every year because we've gone to battle against those schools before.

I don't think you get it - we aren't looking long term with this independent move. It's a stop gap move while we get into another conference. We can continue to play Cincinnati. I would rather not play football than attempt to develop a rivalry with Temple, quite honestly. We have a rival. Its name is Boston College. We have a 2nd rival not on the same level as Rutgers. We will create new rivlaries in our new conference. This independence move would be a signal to the rest of the college football world that UConn is not settling for Tulsa and UMass.

Reaction Score
Just stop. If its a stop gap measure as you say, for "two years at the most" what is the point of separating the sports to play Seton Hall and Depaul etc? Just stick with your other point that you'd rather just do away with football. The idea that in the next two years you can load up your football schedule with power houses can't possibly make sense to you or you have no idea how hard is to schedule football games.

Reaction Score
Just stop. If its a stop gap measure as you say, for "two years at the most" what is the point of separating the sports to play Seton Hall and Depaul etc? Just stick with your other point that you'd rather just do away with football. The idea that in the next two years you can load up your football schedule with power houses can't possibly make sense to you or you have no idea how hard is to schedule football games.

To keep fans interested. Ticket sales is obviously a problem in all sports. Playing Tulsa and Tulane instead of Lousiville and Syracuse and you take a major hit there. Playing Butler and Georgetown is not a large drop off. In addition, you don't have to deal with the perceived downgrade of your football program by playing conf games against Tulane and SMU and Memphis. Please - thats a third of a football conference that has no business being at the level UConn is. Same with Tulsa. UCF, yes, has potential, but we are talking about an important next two years for the athletic department as a whole.

Reaction Score
Bro there is nothing wrong with being a basketball guy first, and if it means disbanding the football program to keep the basketball in top notch conference so be it. I don't agree with that but if that is your viewpoint you are certainly entitled to it. But just understand that football schedules are by and large filled years in advance (except for us but that's another thread). There is no way you aren't playing a football schedule like the one coach cap posted earlier for the next two years if you went independent. Want to talk about staying interested then? Are you football season ticket holder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom