Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department | The Boneyard

Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm nominating myself as replacing Dan as the crazy person on this board. Why? Because I am utterly appalled at how this athletic department is being run. We need to stop the sulking and stop the whining. It's about time we get up on a pedestal and pound our chest and promote ourselves. We are too good for what this new Big East is going to bring in football. The program won't survive. The fans will be gone. Latest news is Tulsa may join. Tulsa? Really? Tulane? Really? SMU? Really? Fans don't care about these schools. The athletic department is already having trouble getting fans to games. Football against what should be a ranked NC State team? Not close to a sell out. Basketball hosting the No. 1 team in the land? Not close to a sell out. Are you kidding me? We are UConn and the place wasn't sold out? Something is drastically wrong here. How many are showing up for a conference game against Tulane?

I met one-on-one with Warde earlier this year in his office at Gampel shortly after Calhoun's announcement to retire. I know some of the ins and outs of the athletic department. It's time things change. Not promoting ourselves and gloating in our countless National Championships in men's and women's basketball was a disgrace. Our lack of promotion was like the Big East sitting back and licking it's wounds during the media attack against the conference when they were the 3rd best conference since 2002 top to bottom.

So what needs to be done?

1. Promotion - a ton of it. We don't need to rebrand ourselves as Dan suggested. We are UConn - people know what that means. You immediately think basketball when you say the schools name. That is a good thing. Many take it as being bad. Other schools hear UConn in conference realignment and respond with 'Aren't they a basketball school?' That in itself shows we have a powerful brand. Promotion and gloating are needed. We should be arrogant because we belong at the top.

2. Independence in Football - this is a must. Some say it can't be done. Reasons include lack of scheduling in October/November. Simple solution to this. Move the annual 1-AA game to the middle of the season. Cut a deal with BC to play an annual rivalary game and lock it up for at least 20 years. Make it a game talked about around the nation - that's another game in the October/November time frame. Many schools still play out of conference games in the middle of their seasons. The SEC does this year after year as a break from conference play. Get at least one game against that conference a year. That is 3 games during a period that people say UConn wouldn't be able to schedule a game. It can be done - it'll take effort and negotiation, but it can be done.

3. C7 in Basketball - Why? UConn needs to maitain at least some traditional rivals during this conference realignment time. Reason? Attendance. The No. 1 team in the country visited Hartford last week and there were 2,000 empty seats. Conference games against Tulane and SMU and Tulsa? What will they draw? At least St. Johns and Georgetown and Villanova register memories in people's minds. There are numerous classic games against these schools and fans will want to see that continue.

4. Continue to build academics - Herbst is all over this

5. Prepare for Conference Realignment Again - Go public that we will be expanding the stadium. It will generate buzz around the program and within the state. Let the world know there is a plan there.

6. Promote the hell out of UConn to the Big Ten and ACC. Both conferences know what UConn brings to the table. Sell these schools on the excitement they will bring to each member institution across all sports. Men's basketball instantly improves the basketball reputations of each as a whole. No other school has 3 national championships since 1999. Instant sell out at any school in either conference. UConn/Duke and UConn/UNC on a yearly basis in basketball? Think of the eye balls that would be watching.

Those are some quick, off the cusp thoughts while sitting here on my lunch break. Put that together in 10 minutes. What more could be done should I be at the school working and helping this university through the toughest times it should ever see. UConn needs a leader. UConn needs a spokesman. UConn needs someone that will go out and do whatever necessary for this school. It's time to take what we deserve.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Add some liquor and a suggestive avatar pic and you'll be well on your way.

Reaction Score
Cut a deal with BC to play an annual rivalary game and lock it up for at least 20 years.

When Steve Martin went on SNL and said "I can teach you how to be a millionaire and not pay taxes. First, get a million bucks" we all knew he was joking. Apparently you aren't.

I congratulate you. That line does, in fact, make you a worthy successor.

Reaction Score
So now is the time to pound our chest And promote ourselves? What happened to doing this right after UMD left for the B1G? Not knocking you because I have felt that this school has failed at promoting itself since they first joined the big east in football. They took a " if you build it, they will come" approach. That attitude has pissed me off for years. I really thought Herbst was going to change that but where was our bluster prior to ville getting picked ahead of us? Where was anyone from UConn out yelling that we were 15-11, against SU, PITT, and Ville in football? We got silence and monitoring.

Forget about independent football status its just a non starter. C7 for basketball? If you want that just drop football. The situation is depressing, I don't bitch in every thread cause its pointless, but I if you think we are going to struggle with attendance Tulane and Tulsa coming for football, imagine what its going to be like playing Idaho and New Mexico State at home.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's simple to be an independent. Just cut a 20 year deal with BC. Do you mind playing all 20 in Chestnut Hill. Are you ok with 11 road games? Yeah an SEC team is traveling to East Hartford in November to play a FBS indy.....

Do you mind waiting to find out if conferences don't have enough eligible teams to find out if you can get a bowl?

This is a school that as an independent couldn't get a bid in 2003 with 9-3 record.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Well, he's right about one thing. He certainly is the crazy person on the board. Completely bat-sh#t nuts.

Reaction Score
Independence in football is a non-starter for many reasons. You could not schedule. Have you seen BYU's future schedules? 5 BCS schools in 2012, 6 BCS schools in 2013, 2 BCS schools in 2014, 3 BCS schools in 2015. And, BYU has been playing Division 1 football forever and they have some historical rivals. What about a media contract? Good luck finding one as an independent. Bowls? You won't get invited. Playoff? How could you qualify as you would have to get an exception passed.

I remember when Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF were invited to the BE 10 years ago and people at Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, and West Virginia moaned. Well, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, and UConn performed better on the field than Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers. Mark my words, UCF, Houston, and SMU will not be football pushovers.

Reaction Score
Do you have any idea of what your football schedule will look like with UConn as an independent? Here's a sample:

1.FCS
2. UMASS
3. Idaho
4. New Mexico State
5. Notre Dame- If you're lucky & never at the RENT
6. Army
7. Navy-if they stay independent
8. BYU-if they don't have better fish to fry
9.-12. Good Luck

Reaction Score
I don't miss HFD. He was a raving lunatic and every time I "skimmed" his diatribes, I had John Clayton's ESPN spoof commercial in my head. I don't believe HFD ever got out of his parents basement...

Now we get UConn07, that presumably was his graduation year. So in his mid 20s, he is going to tell us and the UConn Athletic Dept how it is suppose to be. Great.

Let's start with this UConn07. Why don't you talk about your sitdown with Warde. This is what I want to hear about. Did you "drill him" and attack him on all that is wrong with UConn? Did you discuss your 7 points above with him. What were his responses? Tell me about this meeting you had and maybe I will listen...

Reaction Score
Do you have any idea of what your football schedule will look like with UConn as an independent? Here's a sample:

1.FCS
2. UMASS
3. Idaho
4. New Mexico State
5. Notre Dame- If you're lucky & never at the RENT
6. Army
7. Navy-if they stay independent
8. BYU-if they don't have better fish to fry
9.-12. Good Luck

That schedule is palatable to some as long as they can still play basketball with St Johns. Priorities coachcap, priorities.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So when we go independent, and the stadium is empty for games vs. Idaho, UMass, and the Soutwest Central Louisiana State Muddawgs, it'll be the AD's fault for not promoting UConn's brand enough.

Reaction Score
When Steve Martin went on SNL and said "I can teach you how to be a millionaire and not pay taxes. First, get a million bucks" we all knew he was joking. Apparently you aren't.

I congratulate you. That line does, in fact, make you a worthy successor.

Was that Steve Martin or Cecil B Demille on the Ed Sullivan show?

Reaction Score
So when we go independent, and the stadium is empty for games vs. Idaho, UMass, and the Soutwest Central Louisiana State Muddawgs, it'll be the AD's fault for not promoting UConn's brand enough.

No - it'll be his fault for not scheduling quality competition. That is something he CAN control. It's called negotiating.

Reaction Score
No - it'll be his fault for not scheduling quality competition. That is something he CAN control. It's called negotiating.

Negotiate a sleepover for tomorrow night with you and J Lo. When you fail, it will prove you are a bad negotiator and that I or anyone else could have achieved a different result if we were just better negotiators.

As stupid as that paragraph was, it is close to exactly your logic.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Independence directly conflicts with objectives 5 and 6 above.

I agree that promotion and marketing has been sorely lacking though. And improving academics is always good. So, there's that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn07, I'm nominating myself to replace da Vinci as one of the preminent artists of all time. Here's my effort. What do you think?
Very-Bad-Mona-Lisa.jpg

What? You think that my work is mediocre, at best, and I just can't nominate myself to replace a legend and expect to be taken seriously? Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess it was kind of silly of me to think that would work.

Reaction Score
Thank God I was able to dissconnect when I did. I was the HuskyfanDan, sort of, back in the 2004-2008 "era". I was over the top more times than Armstrong had fresh blood.

Today I see it for what it is. Entertainment that went right to Broadway, is now off Broadway and heading for the Bushnell.

The hiring of mediocre coaches, or lack of hiring impressive coaches with bright futures, is a tell tale sign.

Go to the MAC, go hog wild on offense, and then get a real job. No more stops in the BE along the way.

Reaction Score
Negotiate a sleepover for tomorrow night with you and J Lo. When you fail, it will prove you are a bad negotiator and that I or anyone else could have achieved a different result if we were just better negotiators.

As stupid as that paragraph was, it is close to exactly your logic.
You don't get it. We will simply tell Michigan, PSU, USC etc., you want our men's and women's basketball team to play at your house, then your football team has to come to East Hartford to play in a 38k, stadium. See how that works, now why can't Warde Manual do the same?

Sadly, too many poeple think that way on here. UConn football is not negotiating from a position of strength. Our strength came from being the only school ever to upgrade to a "power conference/BCS". Even with our first few years as an independent we were afforded an incredible advantage. That is all gone now. Sports art has the right idea. Go to the games and enjoy the games. If the administration at UConn can only deliver Tulsa and Tulane as conference partners, and we get a half empty stadium, that is THEIR PROBLEM. I'm simply going to go to the games and enjoy them as much as possible. Hopefully we see improved offense, if not i'll be back here bitching!

Reaction Score
You don't get it. We will simply tell Michigan, PSU, USC etc., you want our men's and women's basketball team to play at your house, then your football team has to come to East Hartford to play in a 38k, stadium. See how that works, now why can't Warde Manual do the same?

Sadly, too many poeple think that way on here. UConn football is not negotiating from a position of strength. Our strength came from being the only school ever to upgrade to a "power conference/BCS". Even with our first few years as an independent we were afforded an incredible advantage. That is all gone now. Sports art has the right idea. Go to the games and enjoy the games. If the administration at UConn can only deliver Tulsa and Tulane as conference partners, and we get a half empty stadium, that is THEIR PROBLEM. I'm simply going to go to the games and enjoy them as much as possible. Hopefully we see improved offense, if not i'll be back here bitching!

Except we play Michigan at home next year in a 40,000 seat stadium. And Tennessee in two years. So, yes, negotiation works. It only doesn't for those that either 1. don't know a thing about it or 2. are completely clueless and don't know how to do it

So your rationale behind this is Tennessee won't want to play UConn anymore because UConn is no longer a member of the Big East?

Reaction Score
Another person seeking celebrity-hood on a message board. duckk. You are 8000 posts behind.

Celebrity hood? No thanks - just trying to get some points across here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom