Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
To keep fans interested. Ticket sales is obviously a problem in all sports. Playing Tulsa and Tulane instead of Lousiville and Syracuse and you take a major hit there. Playing Butler and Georgetown is not a large drop off. In addition, you don't have to deal with the perceived downgrade of your football program by playing conf games against Tulane and SMU and Memphis. Please - thats a third of a football conference that has no business being at the level UConn is. Same with Tulsa. UCF, yes, has potential, but we are talking about an important next two years for the athletic department as a whole.
Seriously.....just stfu already. You will not fill a schedule with teams people want to see if you go Indy. You think ticket sales will drop for Tulane and Memphis? Just wait until your Indy schedule of Western Kentucky and Idaho packs the Rent! The stop gap you refer to is called the NBE and that's the bottom line. Now stop wasting our time and move on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Bro there is nothing wrong with being a basketball guy first, and if it means disbanding the football program to keep the basketball in top notch conference so be it. I don't agree with that but if that is your viewpoint you are certainly entitled to it. But just understand that football schedules are by and large filled years in advance (except for us but that's another thread). There is no way you aren't playing a football schedule like the one coach cap posted earlier for the next two years if you went independent. Want to talk about staying interested then? Are you football season ticket holder?

Season ticket holder and other ties to the football program. Not a basketball guy first. I'm also looking for what's best for the entire athletic department. I don't think wasting money to travel to Texas and Oklahoma and New Orleans four times a year for baseball, softball, field hockey is a smart business plan. But call me insane.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think you get it - we aren't looking long term with this independent move. It's a stop gap move while we get into another conference. We can continue to play Cincinnati. I would rather not play football than attempt to develop a rivalry with Temple, quite honestly. We have a rival. Its name is Boston College. We have a 2nd rival not on the same level as Rutgers. We will create new rivlaries in our new conference. This independence move would be a signal to the rest of the college football world that UConn is not settling for Tulsa and UMass.

I don't think you get it. The fact that we were left out of the big conferences suggests strongly that there are lots of schools out there that do not like UConn. BC is definitely not going to play us. So going independent is a non-starter. I don't know how that nonsense got started. Blauds didn't suggest it, he suggested that UConn and Cinci were exploring the idea of joining the C7 and seeing if the MWC would take them for football only. That idea has some merit, as the football is comparable to the NNNBE, and the basketball would be better. C7 and independent is just plain stupid.

Bitch about "settling" for Tulsa if you want, but given that they have played in two Sugar Bowls and an Orange Bowl, I wonder whether they want to settle for playing UConn. They clocked Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl this year.

Reaction Score
I don't think you get it. The fact that we were left out of the big conferences suggests strongly that there are lots of schools out there that do not like UConn. BC is definitely not going to play us. So going independent is a non-starter. I don't know how that nonsense got started. Blauds didn't suggest it, he suggested that UConn and Cinci were exploring the idea of joining the C7 and seeing if the MWC would take them for football only. That idea has some merit, as the football is comparable to the NNNBE, and the basketball would be better. C7 and independent is just plain stupid.

Bitch about "settling" for Tulsa if you want, but given that they have played in two Sugar Bowls and an Orange Bowl, I wonder whether they want to settle for playing UConn. They clocked Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl this year.

Well - SMU has been to 4 Cotton Bowls, a Rose Bowl and 2 Sun Bowls, but that doesn't do much for people these days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well - SMU has been to 4 Cotton Bowls, a Rose Bowl and 2 Sun Bowls, but that doesn't do much for people these days.

It should. They also won a freaking national championship. I sure as hell remember Dickerson and Craig James. Possibly the best backfield in history. Like Tulsa and Tulane, it's also a damned fine university. I have less interest in Memphis and ECU, which have both no real history, nor are quality institutions. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to go to either school. But SMU, Tulane and Tulsa are not schools that UConn can look down on.

Reaction Score
It should. They also won a freaking national championship. I sure as hell remember Dickerson and Craig James. Possibly the best backfield in history. Like Tulsa and Tulane, it's also a damned fine university. I have less interest in Memphis and ECU, which have both no real history, nor are quality institutions. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to go to either school. But SMU, Tulane and Tulsa are not schools that UConn can look down on.

As we have come to find out - reality and perception are two different things and in conference realignment that has been a huge decision maker for institutions and conferences. UConn needs to create the perception that they are above these other schools or face the fact that they could create a situation where they get passed over again. I don't think anyone wants that.

Reaction Score
As we have come to find out - reality and perception are two different things and in conference realignment that has been a huge decision maker for institutions and conferences. UConn needs to create the perception that they are above these other schools or face the fact that they could create a situation where they get passed over again. I don't think anyone wants that.
The way to "create the perception that they are above these other schools" is to play against them & continually beat them convincingly, such as the UConn women did against Duke the other night. Build up that kind of resume whereby the B1G, ACC, Big-12-16 can't possibly overlook the Huskies in the next phase of CR.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Seven Stages of Conference Realignment

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning of the loss of yet another conference member with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Belief in a secret plan that will bring UConn to the Big 10 is typical in this stage. This may last for weeks.
2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase. Expect very little productivity during this stage as reading the Boneyard replaces normal functions such as work, talking with your spouse and bathing.
3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay blame for the lack of a decent conference on someone else. Many choose Warde Manual or Jeff Hathaway. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why UConn ?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will not complain about Syracuse’s cupcake basketball schedule anymore, if you just bring back the original Big East members.")
4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, and talk of “going independent in football” becomes the norm.
5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without a meaningful conference affiliation, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly. You actually start working at work again and your boss decides that he doesn’t need to fire you or upgrade the internet firewall.
6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without a decent conference. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing your program, such as stadium expansion and focusing on third tier TV rights.
7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages of conference realignment, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward, unfortunately that may involve trips to Amherst, but you will survive.

Reaction Score
The way to "create the perception that they are above these other schools" is to play against them & continually beat them convincingly, such as the UConn women did against Duke the other night. Build up that kind of resume whereby the B1G, ACC, Big-12-16 can't possibly overlook the Huskies in the next phase of CR.

Being in the same conference with these teams gives them the platform to outperform UConn.

Reaction Score
It's simple to be an independent. Just cut a 20 year deal with BC. Do you mind playing all 20 in Chestnut Hill. Are you ok with 11 road games? Yeah an SEC team is traveling to East Hartford in November to play a FBS indy.....

Do you mind waiting to find out if conferences don't have enough eligible teams to find out if you can get a bowl?

This is a school that as an independent couldn't get a bid in 2003 with 9-3 record.

No kidding. The post you were responding to is nonsense. Totally naive. UConn as an independent? That a sure fired ticket back to the old Yankee Conference.

Reaction Score
No kidding. The post you were responding to is nonsense. Totally naive. UConn as an independent? That a sure fired ticket back to the old Yankee Conference.

And your rationale behind that is????

Reaction Score
Season ticket holder and other ties to the football program. Not a basketball guy first. I'm also looking for what's best for the entire athletic department. I don't think wasting money to travel to Texas and Oklahoma and New Orleans four times a year for baseball, softball, field hockey is a smart business plan. But call me insane.

We already travel to those places four times a year for baseball and softball. Most Northeast baseball teams play their first month in the Sun Belt.

Field hockey will never travel to Texas, because there aren't any teams that *play* field hockey in the Big XII, or even in Texas.

Reaction Score
One does not need a rationale to reject a fantasy world built on blind hope and misunderstanding.

I won't apologize for wanting what is best for the university. It's not blind hope, it's aspirations of making a better university and athletic experience for all future athletes that don the national flag blue and white. It's not misunderstanding that there are over 120 FBS schools that are looking for games over the next two years. We shouldn't peg ourselves down for 8 conference games against sub-par competition. We can do better. The leaders of this school should do better because the players deserve better. If we only can get 4 BCS games on a yearly basis as an independent, then fine. But that still leaves us with 8 games against subpar competition, right where we are now.

Some of the 120 schools have already locked in opponents over the next two years. Well, you know what, we've moved games before. Other schools will also move games if they are given something they want in return.

'It isn't easy to put together a football schedule' is the constant response received from the vast majority on this board. I can't help but wonder if all of you are lottery winners and have coasted through life. Life is tough. Get over it and do something about it.

Reaction Score
As if you know what's better for the university than Susan Herbst. As stated before, the ACC without their top 5 schools would be equal to the future Big East. Keep hopelessly rambling on.

Reaction Score
As if you know what's better for the university than Susan Herbst. As stated before, the ACC without their top 5 schools would be equal to the future Big East. Keep hopelessly rambling on.

Who's to say what I'm proposing isn't what she ends up deciding. Even if she does decide to stay in the current conference mess, just because that's what she decides, doesn't mean that is what is the best move for the university. Staying in the conference could work. We are going to a new conference down the line anyway, but what I'm proposing would spark a renewed interest from the fans in this state because it would show that this school is not going to settle for its' current situation. It's going to show that UConn is not going to sit back and continuously wait for greener pastures. It's going to show that UConn is being proactive and is trying to look out for numero uno, something that this school should have been doing for quite some time.

Disagree all you want, but in the long run, I know I'm right. It's time this school makes a splash with their football program and a move to independence would certainly do that.

Reaction Score
Disagree all you want, but in the long run, I know I'm right. It's time this school makes a splash with their football program and a move to independence would certainly do that.

The Titanic also made quite a splash.

Reaction Score
I won't apologize for wanting what is best for the university. It's not blind hope, it's aspirations of making a better university and athletic experience for all future athletes that don the national flag blue and white. It's not misunderstanding that there are over 120 FBS schools that are looking for games over the next two years. We shouldn't peg ourselves down for 8 conference games against sub-par competition. We can do better. The leaders of this school should do better because the players deserve better. If we only can get 4 BCS games on a yearly basis as an independent, then fine. But that still leaves us with 8 games against subpar competition, right where we are now.

I think it is safe to say that most people on these boards want what is best for UConn. That does not mean they think a cobbled together home football schedule against third tier competition is better than a conference which has second tier competition. As an indy we are not going to get games against the top 50 except at their place with no return date.

Some of the 120 schools have already locked in opponents over the next two years. Well, you know what, we've moved games before. Other schools will also move games if they are given something they want in return.

'It isn't easy to put together a football schedule' is the constant response received from the vast majority on this board. I can't help but wonder if all of you are lottery winners and have coasted through life. Life is tough. Get over it and do something about it.

Everyone here wants what is best. But that is not an indy home schedule against third tier schools. As an indy we would not get a game against the top 50 except at their place with no return.

Reaction Score
Everyone here wants what is best. But that is not an indy home schedule against third tier schools. As an indy we would not get a game against the top 50 except at their place with no return.

Do you honestly think we'll have a better chance of scheduling a home and home with a top 50 type OOC team if we stay in the NNBE? I really don't.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly think we'll have a better chance of scheduling a home and home with a top 50 type OOC team if we stay in the NNBE? I really don't.

I don't think I said anything about OOC. Hopefully at least a couple of the NNNBE schools would be top 50 each year and we would have them at home in conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's not 'it's not easy'.

It's f*c*i*g impossible.

You have no concept of reality. If you are a basketball fan who doesn't give a damn about football just say it. But understand killing the football team kills the basketball program - I know this concept is beyond the grasp of those who support independence, but can you just listen to rational voices?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Being in the same conference with these teams gives them the platform to outperform UConn.

So Tulsa/SMU/Tulane/UCF being in our same conference gives them the platform to outperform UConn. But what kind of platform would UConn have to outperform the rest of the nation when it schedules FCS, a slew of MAC, a slew of C-USA, and other crappy independents (Notre Dame is NEVER coming to the Rent without expansion so please stop that talk)? Please understand that it takes two parties to commit to a football contract and even then, they're broken quite a bit with buyout clauses. UConn has absolutely zero chance at scheduling top opponents by being independent, which is the basis of your argument. The Michigan AD constantly fields heat from his fanbase that they have to play at our tiny stadium this year and has tried pressuring our AD to move the game to a bigger venue. They originally agreed to this contract because RichRod and Edsall were buds and I think Michigan didn't anticipate the Big East's rapid demise. Just wait, when it comes closer to the time when Tennessee has to come up north, the Tennessee AD will field the same heat that Michigan fans are giving. Unless you're also proposing significant stadium expansion (something I happen to agree with), there is zero possibility of a big-name opponent coming to the Rent if unaffiliated and given the platform to stand out.

Also please understand the effect on recruiting that going independent would have. While you scoff at playing games in Texas, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, those are some very fertile recruiting grounds. Having conference affiliation increases our exposure within those states and nearby areas over time. I know you're looking for a stop gap but let's face it, we could be in the waiting room for a while. The only way to get an invite to the big boy table is to continue to improve our value. The way to do that from a football perspective is to win games against the our current competition while trying to stay relevant in recruiting hotspots.

Reaction Score
It's not 'it's not easy'.

It's f*c*i*g impossible.

You have no concept of reality. If you are a basketball fan who doesn't give a damn about football just say it. But understand killing the football team kills the basketball program - I know this concept is beyond the grasp of those who support independence, but can you just listen to rational voices?

I am honestly a football guy first, but also realize that this move benefits the entire athletic department as a whole.

Football - freedom to attempt to schedule whoever you want all season long and not forced to play Temple/Tulane for the next 2 years.

Basketball - in addition to the C7 - Butler and Creighton would be added to the mix, along with most likely Xavier. Get Cincy in on the deal and that's a very good to great basketball conf.

All Other Sports - from Soccer to baseball - traditional rivlaries remain. UConn soccer without the annual St. John's game would be a disgrace and disservice to the program, its' players and its' fans. I really don't care too much about soccer, but knowing the guys in the program and Ray Reid - Warde needs to pull the trigger.

Hockey - we are obviously in the SEC of college hockey in Hockey East. No change needed.

This move would benefit ALL programs moving forward, INCLUDING the football program.

Reaction Score
Gong independent only works if you have a TV and bowl deal lined up.

UConn just needs to use the Big East to fill its schedule, take advantage of the bowl tie presumably be on TV.

Reaction Score
Gong independent only works if you have a TV and bowl deal lined up.

UConn just needs to use the Big East to fill its schedule, take advantage of the bowl tie presumably be on TV.

Does the Big East have a TV contract? I belive UConn does for next season with SNY, but the Big East currently does not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom