Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think the bowl stuff is harder than the TV, actually.

Netflix is growing like gangbusters and is looking to kill traditional cable TV. Live sports would be a huge coup for them. Or, imagine a "UConn Huskies" app that you could watch live events with. These aren't as much of a stretch as they were even a year ago. UConn could name their price and I'd pay it. They'd be a home run for recruiting too.

Reaction Score
I think the bowl stuff is harder than the TV, actually.

Netflix is growing like gangbusters and is looking to kill traditional cable TV. Live sports would be a huge coup for them. Or, imagine a "UConn Huskies" app that you could watch live events with. These aren't as much of a stretch as they were even a year ago. UConn could name their price and I'd pay it. They'd be a home run for recruiting too.

There we go - thinking outside the box! I love it - now only if those in the athletic department up in Storrs would do the same. Not saying that a Netflix/app deal is the solution, but these types of ideas should at least be looked at as a business case.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I am honestly a football guy first, but also realize that this move benefits the entire athletic department as a whole.

Football - freedom to attempt to schedule whoever you want all season long and not forced to play Temple/Tulane for the next 2 years

BYU
New Mexico State
Idaho
Navy
FCS #1
FCS #2

Enjoy. There's your home slate.

zls44

Reaction Score
We have a rival. Its name is Boston College.

UConn and Boston College are neither rivals in football nor basketball. In no way, shape, or form.

Message board vitriol does NOT equal rivalry. There is no rivalry. None.

Reaction Score
UConn and Boston College are neither rivals in football nor basketball. In no way, shape, or form.

Message board vitriol does NOT equal rivalry. There is no rivalry. None.

If UConn/Boston College were on next years schedule - aside from Michigan (for obvious reasons), it would be the game everyone from fans, players and coaches looked forward to the most.

That is the definition of a rivalry.

zls44

Reaction Score
If UConn/Boston College were on next years schedule - aside from Michigan (for obvious reasons), it would be the game everyone from fans, players and coaches looked forward to the most.

That is the definition of a rivalry.

It doesn't go both ways. BC wouldn't care. Not one iota. Can't be a rivalry.

Personally, I'd anticipate a top 10 Louisville team and Randy's return far far far far more than a terrible BC team.

Reaction Score
Does the Big East have a TV contract? I belive UConn does for next season with SNY, but the Big East currently does not...

Oh stop. SNY broadcasts essentially the football games that ESPN does not want.

Reaction Score
Oh stop. SNY broadcasts essentially the football games that ESPN does not want.

But they'd still be broadcast. UConn/NC State was on SNY. So was UConn/Louisville last year. The argument that if UConn was independent they wouldn't get the proper exposure, isn't valid. They wouldn't get the conference TV money, but they'd still be on TV.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well there's also the fact that ESPN is in millions upon millions more households than SNY.

Reaction Score
But they'd still be broadcast. UConn/NC State was on SNY. So was UConn/Louisville last year. The argument that if UConn was independent they wouldn't get the proper exposure, isn't valid. They wouldn't get the conference TV money, but they'd still be on TV.

How much TV money does UConn get omits own as a football Indy?

There used to be a bevy of football indies in the East. Miami, Pitt, Temple, SU, RU, WVU, BC etc. Then one day this TV thing got pretty big and everyone realized that It was more profitable to join a conference.

As far as I know, if you aren't Notre Dame, BYU or Army. That hasn't changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It doesn't go both ways. BC wouldn't care. Not one iota. Can't be a rivalry.

Personally, I'd anticipate a top 10 Louisville team and Randy's return far far far far more than a terrible BC team.
Geez, their AD has made public statements against UConn and you think there is no rivalry? Maybe you are right. Maybe he was just doing what his ESPN masters told him to do in crapping on UConn.

zls44

Reaction Score
Geez, their AD has made public statements against UConn and you think there is no rivalry? Maybe you are right. Maybe he was just doing what his ESPN masters told him to do in crapping on UConn.

Brad Bates crapped on UConn?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Brad Bates crapped on UConn?
Not that I'm aware of, but Gene DeFillipo sure did. Maybe you guys haven't instructed Bates to yet? You might want to get to work on that.

Reaction Score
How much TV money does UConn get omits own as a football Indy?

There used to be a bevy of football indies in the East. Miami, Pitt, Temple, SU, RU, WVU, BC etc. Then one day this TV thing got pretty big and everyone realized that It was more profitable to join a conference.

As far as I know, if you aren't Notre Dame, BYU or Army. That hasn't changed.

I'd sacrifice it for the publicity that would be made by the move and the potential higher profile games over the next two years. Remember the end game is a new conference (ACC/BIG) in two seasons.

Reaction Score
I'd sacrifice it for the publicity that would be made by the move and the potential higher profile games over the next two years. Remember the end game is a new conference (ACC/BIG) in two seasons.

How does going independent generate positive publicity? Do you realize we would be on our own in getting bowl agreements? There are not alot of bowls signing up to lock in UConn for an appearance.

The games would be lower profile. The end state, would be us as an independent Sun Belt like school, seeking big payday games at other venues in order to make up for the lost revenue of less TV money.

It's a terrible bet to make. Odds are less than 1 in 100.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
At least we can all agree that the ACC/B1G is the goal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom