Remember Anna Makurat? | The Boneyard

Remember Anna Makurat?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In February she surfaced as a Polish 6 ' guard who plays as an amateur on a Polish Pro Team who wanted to come play for UConn this fall. Well, I have no news on whether her intentions or UConn's have changed at all. Her EuroBasketball team won its quarterfinal round 3-0 and the semis are on the 13th (or begin on the 13th - sudden death or something else??). If they go all the way Carl Adamec said she probably could not get here for a visit before the end of the early signing period , which I don't get if the league is about to wind up. Polish Basketball, News, Teams, Scores, Stats, Standings, Awards - eurobasket

I won't feign any knowledge of the intricacies of the nightmare that is the NCAA Women's Basketball recruiting calendar. See the madness at 2018-19 NCAA Recruiting Calendar and NCAA Recruiting Guide , but it seems to me she should be able to wedge a visit in.

We really could use this talented athlete, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and on the look out for news.

The thread with videos and such: Will UConn Sign a Polish Player?

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't know much about this player. Will she be in the 2019 class or 2020?

Plus , I guess I am not overly excited about anyone else in the 2019 class unless they are 6'3+. We will need some size going forward. With Bueckers , Muhl , and others coming in 2020 , size is one thing that's missing.

Reaction Score
In February she surfaced as a Polish 6 ' guard who plays as an amateur on a Polish Pro Team who wanted to come play for UConn this fall. Well, I have no news on whether her intentions or UConn's have changed at all. Her EuroBasketball team won its quarterfinal round 3-0 and the semis are on the 13th (or begin on the 13th - sudden death or something else??). If they go all the way Carl Adamec said she probably could not get here for a visit before the end of the early signing period , which I don't get if the league is about to wind up. Polish Basketball, News, Teams, Scores, Stats, Standings, Awards - eurobasket

I won't feign any knowledge of the intricacies of the nightmare that is the NCAA Women's Basketball recruiting calendar. See the madness at 2018-19 NCAA Recruiting Calendar and NCAA Recruiting Guide , but it seems to me she should be able to wedge a visit in.

We really could use this talented athlete, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and on the look out for news.

Another guard???

Reaction Score

For 2019's this upcoming signing period would be the regular period. The early period was in November. And if I'm not mistaken, she can sign anytime before enrolling for her first classes. So Auriemma could give her the thumbs up anytime between now and the start of school.

Reaction Score
2019 Guard. UCONN needed another guard to be part of the regular rotation this season and that need will still be there next season. Aubrey is 6'1" and will likely play SF in the rotation next year.

I understand and agree with the need/desire for some bigs, both next year and in the 2020 recruiting class, but there is also an immediate need for a shooter, and bodies in general. No one comes close to replacing Samuelson’s shooting threat. In fact, this past season was our lowest 3pt shooting percentage (36.4%) since 2013-2014. Makurat is a 6’0 guard who can shoot and pass. While the focus is undoubtedly centered on some forwards and centers for the near future, it never hurts to have a big guard who can help stretch defenses and add to a current roster of only 9 players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We've got 4 really good players next year. Unless they change the rules, we need 5. Size and rebounding would be great, but as of right now, that 5th player would come from Mikayla, Batouly, Kyla, Molly or Aubrey. While I would love to have any of those players step up, there are questions surrounding all of them. At this point, Makurat or a grad transfer (Laksa?) would be a better option for that 5th starter imo.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We've got 4 really good players next year. Unless they change the rules, we need 5. Size and rebounding would be great, but as of right now, that 5th player would come from Mikayla, Batouly, Kyla, Molly or Aubrey. While I would love to have any of those players step up, there are questions surrounding all of them. At this point, Makurat or a grad transfer (Laksa?) would be a better option for that 5th starter imo.
Yup. I'm not sure why some folks don't see that we need an additional shooter (even if Griffin is a future star) in addition to a big.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's a crazy idea - how about getting more great guards AND some post players??!!! As of right now, UCONN's roster for next year consists of 9 total players. That means we could add 6 more. So let's get Makurat, Laksa, and at least 1 post player transfer/grad transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
EXACTLY. Where's the height?
In 2002, UConn's three front court players were all 6'2".
It not the height people its the skill level! UCONN potentially will have a taller starting lineup next year by replacing 6'3" KLS and 6'2" Napheesa collier with 6'5" ONO and 6'2" Batouly Camara. Does anyone believe that proposed lineup for next year's to be better than this year? It would certainly be taller.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yup. I'm not sure why some folks don't see that we need an additional shooter (even if Griffin is a future star) in addition to a big.
I watched Aubrey play 4 times in the NY State Championships & Federation Cup. She’s going to be a really good player for UConn. But she’s not going to step into a starting role on Day 1 like Christyn did. It would be great if Aubrey could develop into a solid reserve by the end of her freshman season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here's a crazy idea - how about getting more great guards AND some post players??!!! As of right now, UCONN's roster for next year consists of 9 total players. That means we could add 6 more. So let's get Makurat, Laksa, and at least 1 post player transfer/grad transfer.
In the words of Gordon Gekko, “Greed is good.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For 2019's this upcoming signing period would be the regular period. The early period was in November. And if I'm not mistaken, she can sign anytime before enrolling for her first classes. So Auriemma could give her the thumbs up anytime between now and the start of school.

Adamec strongly implied Geno gave her the thumbs up in February.

Reaction Score
I watched Aubrey play 4 times in the NY State Championships & Federation Cup. She’s going to be a really good player for UConn. But she’s not going to step into a starting role on Day 1 like Christyn did. It would be great if Aubrey could develop into a solid reserve by the end of her freshman season.

depending on who is brought in, she may have to be force fed like CW was this past season..........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dubious premise based on what we have seen I believe.
Dubious that she'll start? If she doesn't then it 6'1" Aubrey starting which even further proves my point: UCONN can start a taller team next year-does make them a better team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dubious that she'll start? If she doesn't then it 6'1" Aubrey starting which even further proves my point: UCONN can start a taller team next year-does make them a better team.

We can go around on this endlessly for sure, but I'm hoping someone will ride in and be a big for us. Failing that, until I see a consistent, productive and durable Batouly I'd rather have Kyla in there growing on the job.

Reaction Score
Can't see Batouly being more than a few minutes at the end of the game type player given the condition of her knee(s). The reason we didn't see more of her this season is because there are days when she physically can't do it, and Geno leaves it up to her whether she plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom