Redundant? How Dawn Rounded Up 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Redundant? How Dawn Rounded Up 5

Reaction Score
In the eyes of the recruit, holding all other things equal amenities, accommodations, training facilities and even things like climate can make the deal happen. UCONN suffers in these areas IMO, in spite of Geno’s brilliance and program legacy. Creature comforts matter today more than ever.

What? Have you seen UConn's new facilities, athlete apartments, campus, etc? The ONLY thing South Carolina has over UConn is warm weather and an "ok" football team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What? Have you seen UConn's new facilities, athlete apartments, campus, etc? The ONLY thing South Carolina has over UConn is warm weather and an "ok" football team.
Outside of getting thrashed by Clemson, SC plays the weakest OOC schedule in the SEC. Within the SEC, the Gamecocks were 4-4 this season, barely getting by Mizzou, TN & MS. The football team is mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many times I (we) have to post this before people get it???

UCONN has had 2 5 person classes that had all players stay and graduate.

Williams/Cash/Bird/Jones/Walters
Taurasi/Conlon/MValley/Battle/Moore
Did Walters graduate from UCONN? She was gone senior year I believe... (didn't she move back to Colorado?)
Battle and Moore both graduate a year later... but yes all five did graduate..... ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Outside of getting thrashed by Clemson, SC plays the weakest OOC schedule in the SEC. Within the SEC, the Gamecocks were 4-4 this season, barely getting by Mizzou, TN & MS. The football team is mediocre at best.

If South Carolina football is mediocre at best... what does that make UCONN football? The single worst football team of the top 6 football conferences by far with maybe the historically worst defense in the history of modern NCAA football.... coached by a retread with probably is getting out recruited by New Hampshire and Maine. All those above schools would have put at least 75 points on UConn.... even that sorry Tenn squad.

Lawd hammercy... enough salt thrown around in this thread.... it could have been used to treat all the NC/VA roads for this past winter snow event. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did Walters graduate from UCONN? She was gone senior year I believe... (didn't she move back to Colorado?)
Battle and Moore both graduate a year later... but yes all five did graduate..... ;)
Yes, as far as I know Walters did.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Noma & Kathy can throw down with the best of them but if the menu is going to include Aloko (Fried Bananas) from Ivory Cost for Amihere and Jerk chicken (Caribbean) style for Boston then that best left to professionals which is what Dawn seems to have done. Kathy could have probably hooked up that red velvet cake though but Cooke never visited UCONN.

Red Velvet Cake is overrated in my opinion..... but I would think that its best left to a Southerner to cook :p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If South Carolina football is mediocre at best... what does that make UCONN football? The single worst football team of the top 6 football conferences by far with maybe the historically worst defense in the history of modern NCAA football.... coached by a retread with probably is getting out recruited by New Hampshire and Maine. All those above schools would have put at least 75 points on UConn.... even that sorry Tenn squad.

Lawd hammercy... enough salt thrown around in this thread.... it could have been used to treat all the NC/VA roads for this past winter snow event. :rolleyes:
UConn has a football team? :confused:

I hate to say this, but many UConn basketball fans could care less about the football team, other than the potential for football to get UConn in a P-5 conference, which ain't happening anytime soon. In Columbia, SC football is huge and loyal Gamecock fans are not happy with the performance of the team this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I hate to say this, but many UConn basketball fans could care less about the football team, other than the potential for football to get UConn in a P-5 conference, which ain't happening anytime soon. In Columbia, SC football is huge and loyal Gamecock fans are not happy with the performance of the team this season.

I know alot of yall fans here dont care about the football team....... and thats too bad. Personally I love Duke football.... and I yell and scream for them as much as I do for the Duke basketball squads.

As for Lower Carolina.... I wouldnt be happy with the football team either if I were a Chicken fan. They will always be second fiddle to Clemson.... and I know that has to burn them down there.

Reaction Score

HAHAHAHAHA Triad..... I just look up and down the thread and LAUGH! The Salt and Hate is real! Why not be congratulatory and move on? These kids are OBVIOUSLY happy with the Academics, Athletics and Lifestyle of South Carolina so why take jabs?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know alot of yall fans here dont care about the football team.. and thats too bad. Personally I love Duke football.... and I yell and scream for them as much as I do for the Duke basketball squads.

As for Lower Carolina.... I wouldnt be happy with the football team either if I were a Chicken fan. They will always be second fiddle to Clemson.... and I know that has to burn them down there.
Under Cutcliffe Duke is a fun team to watch. At times the Blue Devils may be overmatched physically, but they’re smart and they execute. If UConn could field a comparable team, maybe the Huskies would be ensconced in the ACC rather than the AAC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Under Cutcliffe Duke is a fun team to watch. At times the Blue Devils may be overmatched physically, but they’re smart and they execute. If UConn could field a comparable team, maybe the Huskies would be ensconced in the ACC rather than the AAC.

Alot of Duke fans were/are unhappy with this years results.... especially after the last regular season game. :(:eek::oops: But at least Duke still has a chance at an 8 win season if victorious in the bowl game.

That being said... im already fearing next year's opening game. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Amihere speaks French? Surprise. And went to school in Quebec Prov, Ca? Amazing
If she went to Ct she could travel to Northhampton Ma or Watertown, Ct and speak all the Canadian French from Quebec Prov she could handle.
I know, it's my sour grapes from me . Kelly Shoemaker (sp), Kia, longilois (Seaton Hall) gave a desire for another from our neighbor up north.
Schuie might have graduated from a Canadian high school but she was from Cincinnati

Reaction Score
If she went to Ct she could travel to Northhampton Ma or Watertown, Ct and speak all the Canadian French from Quebec Prov she could handle.
I know, it's my sour grapes from me . Kelly Shoemaker (sp), Kia, longilois (Seaton Hall) gave a desire for another from our neighbor up north.

Her family is from the Ivory Coast so yes she speaks French.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Or she could have gone to USF and had half the Quebec province visit ever year. Quite the snow birds the French Canadians.

Reaction Score
Or she could have gone to USF and had half the Quebec province visit ever year. Quite the snow birds the French Canadians.
About a month ago we started seeing Roulettes passing along Rt 81 south. Yes, we had more than our fair share heading to the tip of Fla. But this is a fun part of the Quebecois year. I was up there last year, hopefully, if the St Lawerance doesn't run backwards again I'll make it next year.
My poorly phrased point was: If she wanted to be able to speak French Canadian; Ct and the Western Mass would accommodate her had she opted for Uconn.

Reaction Score
Schuie might have graduated from a Canadian high school but she was from Cincinnati
Yep, I knew that but she was recruited from a Canadian school and the Canadian connection was more publically visible than the Cinci one. I choose to use the Canadian Connection, as I do the Kia or the Langlois SH one, for personal reasons.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
About a month ago we started seeing Roulettes passing along Rt 81 south. Yes, we had more than our fair share heading to the tip of Fla. But this is a fun part of the Quebecois year. I was up there last year, hopefully, if the St Lawerance doesn't run backwards again I'll make it next year.
My poorly phrased point was: If she wanted to be able to speak French Canadian; Ct and the Western Mass would accommodate her had she opted for Uconn.

Got your point and went with it. You gotta do what I do and start drinking earlier in the day. Aides comprehension around here trust me. My Floridian brother hates the French snow bird invasion. They descend on his local restaurants like locust.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I wonder if a class of five has ever remained intact for four years at a top level school? If it has happened, it was a total exception. South Carolina has a miserable reputation academically; I hope they are all happy.

Lol

Reaction Score
In the eyes of the recruit, holding all other things equal amenities, accommodations, training facilities and even things like climate can make the deal happen. UCONN suffers in these areas IMO, in spite of Geno’s brilliance and program legacy. Creature comforts matter today more than ever.
Surprised by the "UCONN suffers in these areas..." I realize you said "IMO"... AND, I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of too many college campuses, but I would think the Werth Basketball Champions Center has to rank among the best in the country (??)... and the campus is pretty... yes, it's "in the country"...but it's NOT in big city with the associated "ugliness" often found in big cities. Proximity to NYC and Boston...should be worth soemthing... Weather...Sure, UCONN can't compete with some of the "sunny" climate Colleges (southern half of Calif, Arizona, Florida, others)...BUT, the chance to be coached by the BEST... UCONN ranks right there with the best of the best too.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Nah, you don’t get to make this assessment. This isn’t a football board, but you’re making a general statement about something you know little about. The football talk should stop here.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I understand why Boston to SC still rubs some people, but IMO, I think A LOT of people placed too much value into Boston’s connection to Massachusetts and her school’s proximity to UConn.

In hindsight, those things were just happenstance. Home to Boston isn’t Massachusetts, it’s the Virgin Islands.. so UConn’s “advantage” there was out the window. At the end, it came down to the school where she felt most comfortable and where SHE felt she could succeed.... not where others thought she could succeed or should go.

So to be frank, SC didn’t “steal” Boston from UConn... we just beat you for a player, but it’s just one player. UConn will bring in a big class in 2020 and y’all won’t even remember Aliyah’s last name.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nah, you don’t get to make this assessment. This isn’t a football board, but you’re making a general statement about something you know little about. The football talk should stop here.
So you’re perfectly OK with the Gamecocks getting hammered by UGA and Clemson?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
So you’re perfectly OK with the Gamecocks getting hammered by UGA and Clemson?

No, but I’m familiar enough with our program to know what it was like prior to Muschamp’s arrival... I have enough football savvy to know that this is a sport where you don’t measure time in single seasons, it takes YEARS to build depth on the lines of scrimmage for example... I’m also aware of the geography of football in the South (we share a state with Clemson, play in the SEC and recruit against SEC and everybody else that recruits our backyard).. and I also know improvement year to year when I see it. I’ve seen a competitive SC football program with my own eyes before, I know what it looks like.. we are working our way back there.

So am I fine with it, no... but there’s an image being painted here of discontent and downward spiraling when that’s not the case AT ALL. If anything, our program is trending upward... maybe not to the level of a national power, but perhaps to the level it was 5 years ago. South Carolina fans are smart enough football fans to recognize that.

That’s the mood in Columbia right now.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I was actually a little troubled by the article and how little the recruiting seemed to be about basketball. Is this a sign of the modern teenage mind? Pick a college based on the food served and the caterer talking about the old country with my mom? What about learning how to be an elite basketball player, winning national championships, and having a long lucrative professional career..... I guess that's why I'm a UConn fan.....

Selling is not wholly about the product. Relationship selling is probably the most effective method of selling. Providing a personal solution is as important as providing a technical or business solution. Each situation is different thus the proposal and solution must be tailored to the individual decision maker. In my first large (relative term) deal ($5M) my mentor told me the decision maker as in most deals was making an emotional decision. He was right! None of these girls are making a purely objective decision. Generally they say "It feels right." No matter how much the parents say its the kids decision, they will have some level of influence on the kid's decision. Recruiting is selling.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

And a very good salesperson (recruiter) can over come all of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom