Redundant? How Dawn Rounded Up 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Redundant? How Dawn Rounded Up 5

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, but I’m familiar enough with our program to know what it was like prior to Muschamp’s arrival... I have enough football savvy to know that this is a sport where you don’t measure time in single seasons, it takes YEARS to build depth on the lines of scrimmage for example... I’m also aware of the geography of football in the South (we share a state with Clemson, play in the SEC and recruit against SEC and everybody else that recruits our backyard).. and I also know improvement year to year when I see it. I’ve seen a competitive SC football program with my own eyes before, I know what it looks like.. we are working our way back there.

So am I fine with it, no... but there’s an image being painted here of discontent and downward spiraling when that’s not the case AT ALL. If anything, our program is trending upward... maybe not to the level of a national power, but perhaps to the level it was 5 years ago. South Carolina fans are smart enough football fans to recognize that.

That’s the mood in Columbia right now.
If you know about SC’s history, you know that Steve Spurrier was brought in to revive the program and subsequently won 8 SEC East titles and 6 overall SEC titles through 2010, at which point the program started a steady decline, with Spurrier departing in 2015.

Muschamp has a formidable task in front of him. While SC HS football is very good, Clemson gets the cream of the crop, with Bama, GA and others also picking off several top kids each year. SC gets who they can in state and then has to look outside the state, where the Gamecocks do not have the national recruiting presence of many of the top schools.

I could certainly be wrong, but SC football will likely struggle to emerge from the middle of the pack in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Yep... its been done before.

Thats a bit harsh.

Then I should explain. There are more than 400 public universities that have higher average salaries. I’m sure there are many faculty who are wonderful, but it is an entry level school.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Then I should explain. There are more than 400 public universities that have higher average salaries. I’m sure there are many faculty who are wonderful, but it is an entry level school.

So that makes the quality of the school? Higher Average Salaries of its graduates? That naturally is gonna be to the advantage of schools which places graduates in places with a higher cost of living..... like the Northeast.... California..

Just curious now... whats the higher average salary of UConn vs UNC.Cheat ?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you know about SC’s history, you know that Steve Spurrier was brought in to revive the program and subsequently won 8 SEC East titles and 6 overall SEC titles through 2010, at which point the program started a steady decline, with Spurrier departing in 2015.

Muschamp has a formidable task in front of him. While SC HS football is very good, Clemson gets the cream of the crop, with Bama, GA and others also picking off several top kids each year. SC gets who they can in state and then has to look outside the state, where the Gamecocks do not have the national recruiting presence of many of the top schools.

I could certainly be wrong, but SC football will likely struggle to emerge from the middle of the pac in the SEC.

See... yeah, no. Let’s get back to basketball.

As much as I would’ve liked Spurrier to win that much at SC, he didn’t. Lol

Reaction Score
Not sure how many times I (we) have to post this before people get it???

UCONN has had 2 5 person classes that had all players stay and graduate.

Williams/Cash/Bird/Jones/Walters
Taurasi/Conlon/MValley/Battle/Moore
Really?! I said intact. Walters was injured and two of the Taurasi class were redshirted. Besides, the game is so much different now; it seems highly improbable that a class of five would graduate today totally intact.

Reaction Score
So that makes the quality of the school? Higher Average Salaries of its graduates? That naturally is gonna be to the advantage of schools which places graduates in places with a higher cost of living..... like the Northeast.... California..
You misunderstood. That is faculty salaries, not graduates. To answer your question, YES, faculty salaries do have a great impact on the academic quality of a University.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You misunderstood. That is faculty salaries, not graduates. To answer your question, YES, faculty salaries do have a great impact on the academic quality of a University.

So what about UCONN faculty salaries vs UNC---cheat faculty salaries ?

Reaction Score
Got your point and went with it. You gotta do what I do and start drinking earlier in the day. Aides comprehension around here trust me. My Floridian brother hates the French snow bird invasion. They descend on his local restaurants like locust.
Do you mean you actually stop imbibing during the day or night?

I'm not a fan of Fla, I spent a year or 2 on Melbourne beach while the spouse worked to feed me. Loved the restaurants and grocery stores (mostly the bakery sections). Too many old people for me. In all things, I like to mix things up--as you have seen.
So went North and drove slowly. (a bumper sticker there)

Reaction Score
Schuie might have graduated from a Canadian high school but she was from Cincinnati

Off Topic---I like your avatar---Alice I would think. It fits perfectly with most of my posts. I'm sure you wonder, at times, just how far I went down the rabbit hole!!

Reaction Score

I could certainly be wrong, but SC football will likely struggle to emerge from the middle of the pack in the SEC.

We recently signed a top 10 class nationally and signed a top 10 prospect and #1 player in S.C. this year so your entire statement is complete hogwash.

Reaction Score
So what about UCONN faculty salaries vs UNC---cheat faculty salaries ?
They are comparable. The average at NC is about 2000 more as of three years ago, but that might have changed. NC has long been considered to be one of the public “Ivies”, but the state legislature has not been kind in the recent past. Prestige and money are unfortunately often inseparable.

Reaction Score
So to be frank, SC didn’t “steal” Boston from UConn... we just beat you for a player, but it’s just one player. UConn will bring in a big class in 2020 and y’all won’t even remember Aliyah’s last name.
So when SC finally beats UConn ( :p:p ), she’ll be yelling, “WHAT’S MY NAME?”

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes, as far as I know Walters did.
Hi Meyers! So to be completely analytical, I did a lookup of rosters and Hoopgurlz listings of UConn recruits and looked at who stayed all 4 years. Since 2004.

For the record, Walters did not play all 4 years (due to injury as I recall).
So for 16 recruiting classes ('04-'19)
UConn has had 3 classes of 1 recruit (Faris/Chong/Griffin) all stayed
2 Classes of 2 recruits (Moore/Dixon and William/ONO) all stayed
5 Classes of 3 recruits (2 lost players-Brianna Banks/De'Janae Boykin)
5 Classes of 4 recruits (3 lost players and 2 didn't)
1 Class of 5 recruits and this class lost recruits
The last class of 4/5 that did not lose someone was 2006 that graduated in 2010.

So the contention that large classes lose players in this decade, still is true for all teams not named Stanford and includes UConn.
Here's the data (except for 2004-06 I listed players in HG rank):
UConn Reruits.PNG

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We recently signed a top 10 class nationally and signed a top 10 prospect and #1 player in S.C. this year so your entire statement is complete hogwash.
I stand corrected. I guess the Gamecocks should win the national championship next year....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t go that far ... :rolleyes:
By the way, just to check you, I looked at the most recent recruiting class rankings on 247Sports for 2018, and SC was listed at 18th. Not bad, except for the fact that 6 other SEC teams as well as Clemson are listed ahead of the Gamecocks.

As I said earlier in this thread, Muschamp has a formidable job ahead of him.

Reaction Score
Hi Meyers! So to be completely analytical, I did a lookup of rosters and Hoopgurlz listings of UConn recruits and looked at who stayed all 4 years. Since 2004.

The last class of 4/5 that did not lose someone was 2006 that graduated in 2010.

So the contention that large classes lose players in this decade, still is true for all teams not named Stanford and includes UConn.
View attachment 37353
Very impressive research!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really?! I said intact. Walters was injured and two of the Taurasi class were redshirted.
Well since we are/have been talking about transfers, intact would mean no one transfers. But if you want to move the goalposts, go for it.

Besides, the game is so much different now; it seems highly improbable that a class of five would graduate today totally intact.

You're question was:

I wonder if a class of five has ever remained intact for four years at a top level school?

I answered that (again). But, if you want to change the question, again.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

View attachment 37353
You really didn't have to go to all that trouble. Could have just asked me. :cool:

And Fernandes was actually a walk-on. Also Kristen Phillips was in that class, but she transferred out to Richmond.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You really didn't have to go to all that trouble. Could have just asked me. :cool:

And Fernandes was actually a walk-on. Also Kristen Phillips was in that class, but she transferred out to Richmond.
In reading your back and forth with @boreifs i want to ask you if you think a class of 4/5 could/would stay together now in this new paradigm of transfers. To me it seems highly unlikely as playing time seems to be the premium and the harsh realization that to be elite is really hard work. What’s your thought on nowadays?

Reaction Score
By the way, just to check you, I looked at the most recent recruiting class rankings on 247Sports for 2018, and SC was listed at 18th. Not bad, except for the fact that 6 other SEC teams as well as Clemson are listed ahead of the Gamecocks.

As I said earlier in this thread, Muschamp has a formidable job ahead of him.

Updated rankings have us #11 although most use the 247 services. We have a good chance of getting back in the top 10 with the 3 recruits we are after set to decide soon but I get your point... we certainly have our work cut out to compete in the best conference in the country.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In reading your back and forth with @boreifs i want to ask you if you think a class of 4/5 could/would stay together now in this new paradigm of transfers. To me it seems highly unlikely as playing time seems to be the premium and the harsh realization that to be elite is really hard work. What’s your thought on nowadays?
It would be tough. It's certainly possible, but probably not probable. However I'd still like to have a 4-5 person class from 2020. And possibly again in 2021.

Perfect would probably be 3-3-3-3 classes. Second, 3-4-3-4 classes.

Quite a few posters on here whine and complain about playing time. How will Geno ever dish out the playing time??? :eek: And it always works out. Players get hurt, players transfer. It's been a very long time since UCONN has had TOO many players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Updated rankings have us #11 although most use the 247 services. We have a good chance of getting back in the top 10 with the 3 recruits we are after set to decide soon but I get your point... we certainly have our work cut out to compete in the best conference in the country.
11 is certainly better than 18, but I suspect the Gamecocks are still looking up at the Bulldogs & Tigers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom