Redundant? How Dawn Rounded Up 5 | The Boneyard

Redundant? How Dawn Rounded Up 5

Reaction Score
I was actually a little troubled by the article and how little the recruiting seemed to be about basketball. Is this a sign of the modern teenage mind? Pick a college based on the food served and the caterer talking about the old country with my mom? What about learning how to be an elite basketball player, winning national championships, and having a long lucrative professional career..... I guess that's why I'm a UConn fan.....

Reaction Score
I was actually a little troubled by the article and how little the recruiting seemed to be about basketball. Is this a sign of the modern teenage mind? Pick a college based on the food served and the caterer talking about the old country with my mom? What about learning how to be an elite basketball player, winning national championships, and having a long lucrative professional career..... I guess that's why I'm a UConn fan.....
In the eyes of the recruit, holding all other things equal amenities, accommodations, training facilities and even things like climate can make the deal happen. UCONN suffers in these areas IMO, in spite of Geno’s brilliance and program legacy. Creature comforts matter today more than ever.

Reaction Score
In the eyes of the recruit, holding all other things equal amenities, accommodations, training facilities and even things like climate can make the deal happen. UCONN suffers in these areas IMO, in spite of Geno’s brilliance and program legacy. Creature comforts matter today more than ever.
Good thing they play indoors.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hear ya, but it's also probably a reason Geno missed out on his top targets. Recruiting is changing, and Geno needs to change with the times... We will see how it works out the next 2 years... maybe that class was an aberration...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I hear ya, but it's also probably a reason Geno missed out on his top targets. Recruiting is changing, and Geno needs to change with the times... We will see how it works out the next 2 years... maybe that class was an aberration...
So in 2014, he got 4 top rated players-#14, #17, #31, #33
In 2015, he got 3 top players, #1, #7, #23
In 2016, he got 3 players #3 and Molly, Kyla
In 2017, he got 4 top players #1, #13, #16, #29
In 2018, he got two top players #1, #5
In 2019, he got one top player #33
He had the #23 from 2014 transfer in.
So you want to say recruiting is changing? Based on what, not the last 5 years.

I think your concern is more about number of players on the roster and maybe his game rotation that has caused some transfers.

I also think some people are micro analyzing his age and comclude recruits are worried he will retire. Yet Muffet and Tara don’t have this problem? Or Gary Blair?

Please let’s be rational and logical and stop imitating our Orange rivals in Tennessee and just relax...:cool:

Reaction Score
I wonder if a class of five has ever remained intact for four years at a top level school? If it has happened, it was a total exception. South Carolina has a miserable reputation academically; I hope they are all happy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So in 2014, he got 4 top rated players-#14, #17, #31, #33
In 2015, he got 3 top players, #1, #7, #23
In 2016, he got 3 players #3 and Molly, Kyla
In 2017, he got 4 top players #1, #13, #16, #29
In 2018, he got two top players #1, #5
In 2019, he got one top player #33
He had the #23 from 2014 transfer in.
So you want to say recruiting is changing? Based on what, not the last 5 years.

I think your concern is more about number of players on the roster and maybe his game rotation that has caused some transfers.

I also think some people are micro analyzing his age and comclude recruits are worried he will retire. Yet Muffet and Tara don’t have this problem? Or Gary Blair?

Please let’s be rational and logical and stop imitating our Orange rivals in Tennessee and just relax...:cool:
Goodness, not what I was saying at all and you completely missed my point, but if it makes you feel better to call me "irrational", have at it! :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Goodness, not what I was saying at all and you completely missed my point, but if it makes you feel better to call me "irrational", have at it! :rolleyes:
Eric, “having at it” is not my point. Saying let’s be rational and logical is not calling someone irrational. You made the comment “Geno needs change with the times”, which says he’s not going something because he’s losing out, yet you give no evidence of this unless you think one year of getting #33 recruit is cause for alarm.
So clarify for me what makes you think Geno needs to change with the times? Is it
one year of not getting a top 3 player is something you need to see how it works out the next 2 years?

Glad to see your faith in someone with an active 11 year Final Four appearance streak and 11 NC’s so yeah, maybe you should restate your point.

Reaction Score
I wonder if a class of five has ever remained intact for four years at a top level school? If it has happened, it was a total exception. South Carolina has a miserable reputation academically; I hope they are all happy.
The Baylor group lead by Griner and the Duke group lead by Gray, even though Wells was dismissed from the Duke team before senior night I believe so I’m not sure if you can count them, Stanford had a class of 6 in 2011 all players stayed on the team. Good think about the USC class is all the plays look to play different positions, unless Beal ends up being an undersized 4, I think the 4 player class should stick, Thompson is a walk on, if Dawn can land a top shooting guard in the 2020 class they should be able to roll out one of the best starting 5’s in college basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dawn deserves a great deal of credit for securing the indisputable #1 class in both quality & quantity. Now let’s see what she does with it. In today’s world, it’s difficult to hold onto 5 players in one class. Beyond that, the biggest challenge Dawn will have is to figure out how to play Amihere & Boston at the same time. They both are at the best 5’ from the basket, so it could get crowded in the paint.

Reaction Score
Dawn deserves a great deal of credit for securing the indisputable #1 class in both quality & quantity. Now let’s see what she does with it. In today’s world, it’s difficult to hold onto 5 players in one class. Beyond that, the biggest challenge Dawn will have is to figure out how to play Amihere & Boston at the same time. They both are at the best 5’ from the basket, so it could get crowded in the paint.

UConn should have such problems next season................:rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Baylor group lead by Griner and the Duke group lead by Gray, even though Wells was dismissed from the Duke team before senior night I believe so I’m not sure if you can count them, Stanford had a class of 6 in 2011 all players stayed on the team. Good think about the USC class is all the plays look to play different positions, unless Beal ends up being an undersized 4, I think the 4 player class should stick, Thompson is a walk on, if Dawn can land a top shooting guard in the 2020 class they should be able to roll out one of the best starting 5’s in college basketball.
Not sure how many times I (we) have to post this before people get it???

UCONN has had 2 5 person classes that had all players stay and graduate.

Williams/Cash/Bird/Jones/Walters
Taurasi/Conlon/MValley/Battle/Moore

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Those items were not covered in this article because there is nothing "secret" about them. Think about what you are saying. If National Championship was a discriminator and lucrative professional career UCONN might still have lost out because South Carolina is a more recent national Champion than UCONN and the South Carolina coach is the current National team coach.
This would have made for a very good business piece in the Wall Street Journal because it's about finding an edge and paying attention to details in a very tough competitive environment. Think about the edges that Dawn used successfully: Snickers in the hotel room, Red velvet cake on Dad's birthday, a caterer that spoke Mom native language, Native food..... BTW it was not the teenage mind that Dawn was after, the target was clearly the adults.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Those items were not covered in this article because there is nothing "secret" about them. Think about what you are saying. If National Championship was a discriminator and lucrative professional career UCONN might still have lost out because South Carolina is a more recent national Champion than UCONN and the South Carolina coach is the current National team coach.
This would have made for a very good business piece in the Wall Street Journal because it's about finding an edge and paying attention to details in a very tough competitive environment. Think about the edges that Dawn used successfully: Snickers in the hotel room, Red velvet cake on Dad's birthday, a caterer that spoke Mom native language, Native food..... BTW it was not the teenage mind that Dawn was after, the target was clearly the adults.
All nice touches to be sure, but how does it compare to brunch at Kathy & Geno’s house?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All nice touches to be sure, but how does it compare to brunch at Kathy & Geno’s house?
Noma & Kathy can throw down with the best of them but if the menu is going to include Aloko (Fried Bananas) from Ivory Cost for Amihere and Jerk chicken (Caribbean) style for Boston then that best left to professionals which is what Dawn seems to have done. Kathy could have probably hooked up that red velvet cake though but Cooke never visited UCONN.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

There you go again, ruining my emotional mood using intelligence and logic.
Getting the parents on board has been a key for Geno since he got DT. I doubt CD, Geno et al are resting in laurals sitting room. As the man said Uconn wins some and loses some. I would have liked to have seen Amihere AND Boston in Storrs but it wasn't to be.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many times I (we) have to post this before people get it???

UCONN has had 2 5 person classes that had all players stay and graduate.

Williams/Cash/Bird/Jones/Walters
Taurasi/Conlon/MValley/Battle/Moore
Yea, but what has Geno done for me lately?

Reaction Score
Geno has had a lot of success with players staying. One reason a UC transfer is a big deal, transfers are rarer at UC.
Miserable academic school USC? Maybe, did any of these HS to College recruits want to put their name in lights with WBB or by discovering the gene that makes me post this drivel?

Reaction Score
It's not like she hasn't had that under the basket issue before: how well did that work for her, at least against UC. It is my perception that Dawn has not been terribly successful in NOT having transfers.

Reaction Score
I shared the same concerns until I remembered my own college detective work at 17 years old. I'm considered a pretty focused, goal oriented person but at 17 my career seemed many years away with many alternative paths to get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom