Recruits at the Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Recruits at the Game

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Adamec confirms that Aliyah Boston has an offer:

But more important to the Huskies were three high school stars sitting in the front row: 2017 United States U-16 teammates junior forward Aliyah Boston (Worcester Academy), sophomore point guard Paige Bueckers and freshman wing Azzi Fudd. For the Minnesota native Bueckers and Virginia native Fudd, it was their second unofficial visit to UConn in a month. All three have scholarship offers from UConn.
This lists Paige as a PG and Azzi as a wing. I thought both were PGs or combo guards.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This lists Paige as a PG and Azzi as a wing. I thought both were PGs or combo guards.

If you ask me, Bueckers is great at either guard position. Fudd seemed like more of a 2-guard with the potential to be a wing if she grows a bit. It's the second time this weekend Fudd has been referred to as a wing though.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For those who don't wander into the rather large '19-'20 recruit thread...

Geno Auriemma has become a familiar face at Hopkins High School’s Lindbergh Center, having stopped by three times in recent months, most recently on the first official day of girls’ basketball practices.

The reason the legendary UConn coach has beaten a path to Hopkins door is a 6-foot tall point guard who’s a bit on the slender side, walks with a bounce in her step, handles a basketball like a yo-yo, slides effortlessly through traffic and is magic from outside the three-point line.

It's all about sophomore guard Paige Bueckers, who is likely, when her high school career wraps up in 2020, to be one of the best girls' basketball players Minnesota has produced.

"The best player I've ever seen was Tayler Hill," said Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff, referring to the former Minneapolis South star. "I never saw Geno here for Tayler. That's when I started thinking I had something special here."

It’s a testament to Bueckers’ basketball IQ that her biggest weakness is her willingness to leave what little ego she has on the bench.

“Some days, I have to get on her because she’s not shooting enough,” Cosgriff said. “She’s one of the most unselfish players we’ve ever had come through here. When she’s out there, everyone’s running better and things are working faster and smoother on the court.”

Auriemma has told Cosgriff “she’s ahead of Diana Taurasi at the same point in time in her career.”

Sophomore guard Paige Bueckers drives high expectations for Hopkins

Reaction Score
According to figures released by the NCAA, South Carolina led the country in women's basketball attendance, averaging 12,277 per contest. It is the third straight season the Gamecocks have led the country in average attendance. These stats are for the 2016-17 season. South Carolina drew 196,431 people for its 16 home games. Its game against Kentucky on Feb. 26 drew a sellout of 18,000 at Colonial Life Arena

SC has replaced Tenn as the top attendance program. It helps that they keep their ticket prices much lower than, say, UConn. And it's a benefit that the weather in Columbia is milder in January & February than it is in Storrs. And of course Gampel only holds about 9K and a lot of those are bleacher seats. And finally, all UConn games are on cable TV. But the country is full of beautiful large college arenas in mild climates that have a hard time giving away tickets. Kudos to SC.

Reaction Score
For those who don't wander into the rather large '19-'20 recruit thread...

Geno Auriemma has become a familiar face at Hopkins High School’s Lindbergh Center, having stopped by three times in recent months, most recently on the first official day of girls’ basketball practices.

The reason the legendary UConn coach has beaten a path to Hopkins door is a 6-foot tall point guard who’s a bit on the slender side, walks with a bounce in her step, handles a basketball like a yo-yo, slides effortlessly through traffic and is magic from outside the three-point line.

It's all about sophomore guard Paige Bueckers, who is likely, when her high school career wraps up in 2020, to be one of the best girls' basketball players Minnesota has produced.

"The best player I've ever seen was Tayler Hill," said Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff, referring to the former Minneapolis South star. "I never saw Geno here for Tayler. That's when I started thinking I had something special here."

It’s a testament to Bueckers’ basketball IQ that her biggest weakness is her willingness to leave what little ego she has on the bench.

“Some days, I have to get on her because she’s not shooting enough,” Cosgriff said. “She’s one of the most unselfish players we’ve ever had come through here. When she’s out there, everyone’s running better and things are working faster and smoother on the court.”

Auriemma has told Cosgriff “she’s ahead of Diana Taurasi at the same point in time in her career.”

Sophomore guard Paige Bueckers drives high expectations for Hopkins

Like I've said before, I have no expertise in evaluating BB talent but from the first video I saw of this kid her demeanor on court reminded me of Taurasi. She plays as if her mind is a couple of seconds ahead of everyone else and and has an air of confidence without being in the least bit selfish or egotistical.

And she could be the "once in a generation" player that would surely keep Geno coaching for at least 6 more years.

Add Fudd to that the following season and the wailing and gnashing of teeth from people like Ms Cornelius and her ilk would be music to my ears. Yeah, I know. It's a flaw in my character.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
But for some perspective, many of those tickets are almost given away. $30 for a SEASON TICKET. That is $2 per game! UConn has far more revenue from ticket sales.

South Carolina is a top 25 athletic department in profits AND revenue without a financially profitable WBB program. Market demand will drive our WBB ticket prices.. as the product gets better, the prices will go up.

But for now, we ain’t hurtin’

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Describing Columbia’s temperature in January/February as simply “milder” than Storrs doesn’t do it justice. Mother Nature laughs at that. It’s almost a 30 degree average temperature difference.

New England is downright tundra-like in January/February. I’m actually amazed how cold it gets here, how the cold lingers for WEEKS and the fact that people endure this every year. It’s borderline extreme to me. Below freezing temperatures for weeks on end.. and you complicate it further by adding snow into the mix. Lord help me.

Last year was my first full Connecticut winter and I was miserable and actually depressed for at least 3-4 months. In SC, we have “cold snaps”.. and they are called “snaps” for a reason. The temperature will drop below 40, it’ll rarely even dip into the 20’s for a few days.. but then it “snaps” right back into place and averages in the 50s. We usually get three or four cold snaps in January/February. That’s winter in SC, or the absence of it, basically a New England autumn without the lovely foliage. If I ever move back south I’m looking forward to laughing at my friends and family when it’s 40 degrees and they’re wearing winter coats.

On the other hand, New England has some of the most amazing summers I’ve ever experienced. It’s not hot (by my standards), it doesn’t rain, there are no bugs (again, by my standards) and the humidity is barely noticeable. If you really hate someone, send them to the Deep South between the months of June and September... if they’re lucky, the humidity will break by early September.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Describing Columbia’s temperature in January/February as simply “milder” than Storrs doesn’t do it justice. Mother Nature laughs at that. It’s almost a 30 degree average temperature difference.

New England is downright tundra-like in January/February. I’m actually amazed how cold it gets here, how the cold lingers for WEEKS and the fact that people endure this every year. It’s borderline extreme to me. Below freezing temperatures for weeks on end.. and you complicate it further by adding snow into the mix. Lord help me.

Last year was my first full Connecticut winter and I was miserable and actually depressed for at least 3-4 months. In SC, we have “cold snaps”.. and they are called “snaps” for a reason. The temperature will drop below 40, it’ll rarely even dip into the 20’s for a few days.. but then it “snaps” right back into place and averages in the 50s. We usually get three or four cold snaps in January/February. That’s winter in SC, or the absence of it, basically a New England autumn without the lovely foliage. If I ever move back south I’m looking forward to laughing at my friends and family when it’s 40 degrees and they’re wearing winter coats.

On the other hand, New England has some of the most amazing summers I’ve ever experienced. It’s not hot (by my standards), it doesn’t rain, there are no bugs (again, by my standards) and the humidity is barely noticeable. If you really hate someone, send them to the Deep South between the months of June and September... if they’re lucky, the humidity will break by early September.
hahahaha yeah kids aren't coming to Connecticut cause extremely cold... Kalana Green and everyone from Cali, Tiffany from Florida and Banks from Georgia. Basketball games are played inside and the heating bill is paid

Reaction Score
hahahaha yeah kids aren't coming to Connecticut cause extremely cold... Kalana Green and everyone from Cali, Tiffany from Florida and Banks from Georgia. Basketball games are played inside and the heating bill is paid
I imagine games played in the south don't have to worry about snowstorms, like our 2015 game at Gampel against South Carolina played in the middle of a blizzard. I like our chances with Bueckers she'll feel right at home in Connecticut being from Minnesota.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I haven't watched Boston but I remember reading some of the rankers ' comments during the U16 trials and they generally felt she was the best post player in the group. One comment was that no one scored on her, or something to that effect. The only other thing is that I'm pretty sure she won player of the year as a freshman in Bent's prep league two seasons back and that league sent many many players to D1 teams. She's been attending UConn home games for a couple of years. I've read her name mentioned on the Irish board but I'd be shocked if she went anywhere but UConn.

I might've been the one of the posters on McGraw's Bench that mentioned Ms. Boston and I think of her as being a "...would be a real nice player to have interested in our program" but .....
The "but" being UConn. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I imagine games played in the south don't have to worry about snowstorms, like our 2015 game at Gampel against South Carolina played in the middle of a blizzard. I like our chances with Bueckers she'll feel right at home in Connecticut being from Minnesota.
MN makes CT seem like a tropical paradise in winter.

Reaction Score
like the famous Melaga Cooler in "A New Leaf".

At least it wasn't Mogen David 20-20, which we used to call Mad Dog.
A friend and I drank a bottle each in high school and went to watch Pro Wrestling at our school. We sat 8 rows up and when Andre the Giant walked by us. We both punched him in his arm! Of course it didnt faze him one bit! We were 15 at the time and MD20-20 gave us that liquid courage, lol!

Reaction Score
MN makes CT seem like a tropical paradise in winter.
Compared to Hartford, Minneapolis is about 7 degrees colder on average in the winter and gets about the same amount of snow. Not a huge difference. It's not like Bueckers is from International Falls or Barrow.

Reaction Score
Like I've said before, I have no expertise in evaluating BB talent but from the first video I saw of this kid her demeanor on court reminded me of Taurasi. She plays as if her mind is a couple of seconds ahead of everyone else and and has an air of confidence without being in the least bit selfish or egotistical.

And she could be the "once in a generation" player that would surely keep Geno coaching for at least 6 more years.

Add Fudd to that the following season and the wailing and gnashing of teeth from people like Ms Cornelius and her ilk would be music to my ears. Yeah, I know. It's a flaw in my character.

totally agree.................PB is without question the single most important recruit coming out in the next few years..............not sure if she's going to be another DT but she's not only talented in her own right, with her unselfishness, she makes all of her teammates on the court better..............if that's not UConn basketball what is.............

Reaction Score
Compared to Hartford, Minneapolis is about 7 degrees colder on average in the winter and gets about the same amount of snow. Not a huge difference. It's not like Bueckers is from International Falls or Barrow.

not too worried that warm weather will be a big factor with this recruit............she looks like she hasn't seen the sun in years...........she's just way too busy in the gym for that

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s currently 17 degrees in Minnetonka, MN, home of Hopkins, HS & Paige Bueckers, and it will not get above freezing all day. :eek:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
totally agree.......PB is without question the single most important recruit coming out in the next few years....not sure if she's going to be another DT but she's not only talented in her own right, with her unselfishness, she makes all of her teammates on the court better....if that's not UConn basketball what is...

I've said this before, but I think of PB as being Diana Taurasi and Caitlin Clark as Sue Bird. Of course, with Clark attending Dowling Catholic H.S. -- a school that sends more than a few students to South Bend -- I'm hoping to (at least) see the modern-day Bird/Taurasi (at the very least) split up.
(Many of my McGraw's Bench colleagues Love PB, but there's something about Clark's court vision and demeanor that seems a match for MM.).

As for Azzi, let the recruiting pitches flourish! So Sky "ran into her on campus?" Mabe Lindsay Allen can drop by her high school, St. John's, to take in a game ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is that a solid number? I’m surprised that the winter difference isn’t double that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've said this before, but I think of PB as being Diana Taurasi and Caitlin Clark as Sue Bird. Of course, with Clark attending Dowling Catholic H.S. -- a school that sends more than a few students to South Bend -- I'm hoping to (at least) see the modern-day Bird/Taurasi (at the very least) split up.
(Many of my McGraw's Bench colleagues Love PB, but there's something about Clark's court vision and demeanor that seems a match for MM.).

As for Azzi, let the recruiting pitches flourish! So Sky "ran into her on campus?" Mabe Lindsay Allen can drop by her high school, St. John's, to take in a game ;)
My concern regarding Azzi, from a UConn perspective, is the Catholic and St. John’s/Lindsay Allen connection.

OTOH, I’m guessing that Paige follows a certain UConn grad during the summer months. That would be the one with the giant mural in the Werth Center, the SI Performer of the Year, and 4-time WNBA champion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though young people tend to think that 4 years is forever, there is a huge difference between going somewhere for 4 years of college and going there indefinitely or for the rest of ones life.

I’ll admit that I would have liked the climate of Palo Alto over that of Bethlehem, PA, Storrs, CT, Providence, RI, and Philadelphia, but I was accustomed to cold winters from growing up in Milford.

Reaction Score
Is that a solid number? I’m surprised that the winter difference isn’t double that.
Minnesota is apparently very dry in the winter because of its distance from any body of water while Connecticut being on the ocean is subject to more moisture and things like strong coastal storms.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My concern regarding Azzi, from a UConn perspective, is the Catholic and St. John’s/Lindsay Allen connection.

OTOH, I’m guessing that Paige follows a certain UConn grad during the summer months. That would be the one with the giant mural in the Werth Center, the SI Performer of the Year, and 4-time WNBA champion.

Azzi's parents seem to be exposing her to a number of possible landing spots, starting with this transfer to St. John's. And they're certainly bringing her to schools that have solid academic credentials, basketball programs and reputations for working with guards. Good for them.
We know she's visited both schools and just attended a terrific game featuring both of them. I'm sure other schools will pop into the picture -- after all, she is named for a former Stanford guard -- but we'll see.

Paige has "must see hoops" written all over her.

And, as I've written, I'm a fan of Clark and that resolve of hers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boston will definitely comit. Watching highlight videos, you can see her in the red cheering and clapping for us during the come back
It's funny - she seemed the most animated when Z did something well. Maybe thinking "that could be me in 3-4 years"? The girl next to her was also clapping at times and gave a little fist pump at one point. The other girls were pretty stoic the entire time - more like a respectful group at a lecture rather than an electrifying WCBB game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom